Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just got my first printer this week, a Prusa MK3s+, after having played around with a MakerBot a decade ago.

I'm hooked.

Does anyone have a good tutorial about snap joints? I've found a bunch, but a lot are kinda garbage or marketing or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Hard to recommend a single product without knowing more about what you wanna do with it, what the end application is, what kind of learning curve you’re willing to deal with, etc. Fusion360 is the most likely answer to your question, but I would check out the CAD megathread I posted a while back, it may tell you what you want to know- https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962532

The CAD thread has some real wisdom.

I am new to modelling in the last three weeks, and Autodesk 360's free personal license is working well enough for me with the help of a few YouTube videos. I'm a software engineer, and it's close though to concepts I can wrap my head around, but has some serious limitations to me, like burying the math/parameters.

I've played around with a few other free things, but I wanted something relatively powerful even if it has a somewhat weird niche or learning curve. I get the feeling like 360 doesn't know what it's good at.

I've only made a couple enclosures / ePaper frames, so by no means am an expert.

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm having trouble finding a link to this discord server.

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Big Taint posted:

I have these and they are good. I also have some no-brand ones that are similar, any of the newer HF-tier ones are good, they seem to have solved the ‘kills battery when off in case’ problem, although taking the battery out is also easy. It’s a big jump in price to Mitotuyo pro-level gear.

I have the same ones and also feel like they're fine for hobbyist work, but it's not hard to imagine wanting a fancier set.

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rectovagitron posted:

I just got my first printer this week, a Prusa MK3s+, after having played around with a MakerBot a decade ago.

I've now done a month of nonstop printing in PLA and PETG, and the Prusa is indeed a workhorse. It's unbelievable how reliable this is compared to my prior, although dated, experience.

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

xilni posted:

Printed it again and watched it this time.

I just caught the far right end of the print rise up ever so slightly off the bed as it's mid print causing the layers printing to then get smooshed together as shown. This happens in the corer of the build plate as it prints, it prints like this:

I'm a bit of a noob but have had similar problems, which I cheated and used the other corners (rotate it). My near-right corner prints a little high, but I've yet to do the precise bed leveling calibration because I can avoid that corner for most prints. Might work for you just to get this print out!

Edit: also doing the 7x7 leveling, using a hotter bed after the first few layers, using 5mm/s for the first layer of PETG on the powder coated board helped. The powder board is amazing, but it is a lil slippery.

Rectovagitron fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nerobro posted:

Two years in, and I still can't get other household members to turn a printer off.

If I were you I'd buy a cheap outlet timer and set it before starting the print, padding the completion time a little bit.

I'm a little fancier and have homeassistant + a zwave outlet that I can automate based on time or current.