Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So I've been working on doing some resin casting in silicone molds. And I have been designing/printing the 'negatives' for the silicone mold.

The amount of inside-out thinking I've been having to do has been kind of fun, but man my first couple of attempts came out bad.

Once I get some finished product I'm not embarrassed to share, I'll post them up here. It's a pretty fun process, though, going from sketch to physical product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

The Eyes Have It posted:

In really interested in hearing about your results, and hope you don't skip mentioning "poo poo that didn't work" when you do share it!

Of course. The main thing in the 'poo poo that didn't work' was thinking the opposite of the opposite. And with molds, the negative of the negative is more than just the positive.

My main issue so far has been accurately pouring the resin components. Good thing I've got literal gallons of the poo poo.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I’ve been designing and making directly-printed metal casting molds from high-temp-resistant engineering resins, so sort of the literal mirror of what you’re doing i suppose. Nice to find someone else using hobby resin printers for technical/production work, it’s incredible how many doors a $300 machine opens when it lets you one-button print any high-detail model you want if it’ll fit on your build plate. i post my stuff in the other bigass 3d printing thread in diy, check it out some time~

out of curiosity, how do you seal/treat your models so they don’t interfere with the silicone curing? that’s one of the biggest hurdles to using resin printing as part of a silicone mold making workflow.

I'm doing fdm to make the molds for the silicone molds for epoxy resin.

Print -> fill with molding silicone -> add resin

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i missed that, whoops. yeah that’s much simpler, thermoplastics don’t poison the silicone cure process like basically “all” acrylate resins apparently will, there are a bunch of surfacing/passivating techniques people apparently use but i haven’t tried em myself

Yeah, I haven't made the leap to resin printing yet. I don't have the space for my existing printers and K40 as it is.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Javid posted:

the advice I was given was "the cheapest hairspray available locally" so I spent $2 at the dollar general for a can I have yet to meaningfully deplete in months

Yeah, even when I was using it regularly (I've been bouncing between the magnetic build tak and textured glass) I haven't noticed a meaningful reduction in the amount in the can of AquaNet pink I picked up like 4 years ago.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

If I were home if be posting this looking at my massive pile of spools I got through Amazon Vine.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

armorer posted:

Okay Amazon got me that IR thermometer over night. With the hot end at 185C, the highest reading the gun gave was 140, and with it at 240C the highest was a momentary blip at 200 but mostly it read around 180.

Do your hot ends read closer to the target than that? I can extrude PLA with it set to 240, which if it's actually somewhere between 180 and 200 makes sense. Ditto to it not extruding set to 200 if it's actually more like 160.

Either way at this point I'm going to install the all metal hot end, but I want to be reasonably confident in my diagnostics just for future reference.

At this point I'd first make sure the thermistor is seated properly into the heater block. Failing that, replacing it is a good idea. Especially if you're getting inconsistent readings. It's either failing, or not properly contacting the aluminum.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I've got a cheapo dryer that's also supposed to work as a spool holder. The holding part doesn't work, but the drying bit seems to do just fine. Has a nice timer that gradually ramps it up from ambient to 50+C.

I need to take some of my old silica packets and line the bottom of it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Print the feet separately and glue them on.

In TPU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Liquid lead is >327C which should be enough to melt the PLA out of the way when you pour it in. However, I would expect to see weird voids and vapor pockets trying to do it that way.

Lost PLA is probably the way to go with this, depending on your ability to heat over 250C for a long period of time.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

The Eyes Have It posted:

Well now I'm pretty curious what your project is that uses 60 lbs of lead.

Probably a model sailboat keel

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

withak posted:

One time I failed to tihhtrn my nozzle and the heaet was totally off.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

So I finally got a chance to setup my Mars3 that arrived a couple of weeks ago. Plugged it in and the LCD turns white and that's it. Awesome.

If you're keeping count, that is now 6 Mars2 Pros, 2 Saturns, and a Mars3 that I have received either DOA or shortly after.

My stepdad has a similar Technology Disruption Field. My condolences.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Remember those attempts to convert MIG welders into 3d printers?

I mean, they worked, but you basically had a sacrificial build plate of whatever size you wanted to print in, in whatever material you were feeding through the welder in the wire.

Plus all the electrical current, vapor, heat and light hazards associated with welding combined with the other concerns of 3d printer operations.

Here's a comedy video about someone attempting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w9hK8mh9-g

EDIT: That dumbass doesn't know about G2 and G3 commands, Jesus.

EDIT 2: Seriously, there are some magnificent failures in that video, holy poo poo.

I was hoping that was the Integza video. Did not disappoint. I love that dude.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Here is his followup on what you need to kludge a 3d printed metal part workflow.

https://youtu.be/tw9VF1V-Lzc

Oh, I'm a subscriber with notifications on. The permanganate and hydroxide rocket experiments were a blast... literally.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

Same, except it’s one printer that’s always partially assembled because I’m in the middle of maintenance/upgrades and the other is actually working.

Stop looking in my office window

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

So I decided to disassemble the CR-10S and keep it for spares/potential CoreXY build in the future. Picked up an Ender 3 Pro V2 (that's a mouthful) to keep my habit alive. I very rarely ever utilized the benefits of the 300mm plate, so I'm happy to reclaim the office space.

We'll see how it goes on Friday.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

If only there was someone here who could clarify a couple of these questions about Octoprint.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Ender arrived and set up. Squared everything off and leveled the bed (the default Z end stop position is for a standard bed thickness, not glass. So that was a challenge for a few minutes).

As expected, the plastic extruders are still garbage, so I grabbed the metal one off of the disassembled CR-10S and had it running in a minute. The nozzle was clogged out of the box, but a little acupuncture and it started flowing.

Also: holy gently caress it's quiet. The fans are the loudest parts (I might upgrade those) of the whole operation. The steppers and drivers are almost silent.

First print with no tweaks came out nice. It's amazing to me how much better the camera on my phone picks up layers than my eyes.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 5, 2021

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Mr. Mercury posted:

Ha! that's cool as hell, are they printing metals? Man that'd be awesome to play with :allears:

I wish my work was anywhere near as technical as that, I'm basically trying to invent ways to test extremely esoteric and... well... near-useless things. But because the market for testing said things is just so thin the prices are certifiably insane.

There was zero risk of ownership buying that expensive machine in my other post, but it's good to have a stand-in that costs 1/100th the price (1/50th if you count the Prusa)

You can come pretty close to printing metal with FDM at home now. Integza was using some filament that's mostly bronze with enough plastic to make it extrudable. You can then bake the plastic out and end up with some almost halfway decent parts. They're nowhere near serviceable for daily use (especially as rocket nozzles, which is his primary use lately), but it's a huge leap, for sure.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Dremel 3d printers are cinder blocks.

Do not buy.

This.

They're the Keurig 2.0 of 3D printers, if not worse. They might work fine (I haven't used one) but the filament lock in is loving stupid.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

now I look and feel like a proper mad scientist while printing.

As one should.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Switched out the extruder for the Creality branded aluminum unit. Swapped out the Bowden tube for a Capricorn. Swapped the stock bed springs for the yellow ones.

Night and day difference on the Ender 3 V2.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Roundboy posted:

I guess I am the lucky 1%,or the magnetic sheet on top of the aluminum is leveling something because according to my level map I am even all around

I think it's a bit overblown how bad they are stock. I just slapped the magnetic sheet on mine and the center is spot on with the corners.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I have the atomstack one and it works ok. I haven't dug into it, but I found it annoying that somehow LightBurn apparently doesn't work with it under Windows. Probably a driver signing issue if I had to guess.

Otherwise it works fine once you get the PWM dialed in.

It really depends on what you want to cut and your environment.

With a little work, you can get a K40 CO2 laser that makes it easy to vent outside. It has its own caveats as well, though.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

porktree posted:

Thanks, I was leaning towards the Atomstack A5. My wife wants to use it as a cutter, more than an engraver, fabric and thin plastics so it looks good for that.

Yeah, it should work fine for things like that, but you might want to investigate a silhouette cutter if you're not looking for heavy cutting. I don't recommend cricut, even though they're really the easiest to use, because they're non-functional if you're not connected to the internet.

If you still plan on a laser, be very careful about ventilation, and pick your materials wisely. Anything PVC based will emit chlorine gas/HCl vapor. For anything vinyl or plastic, make sure it's PU or at least specifically non-pvc.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

K400 or whatever they call them now?

K40 likely.

I have one of those, which I've upgraded to better exhaust and a mesh bed and it works quite well. Definitely a step up from the diode engravers, which I also have. I'm waiting to reconfigure my garage area to have the diode laser set up semi-permanently because it doesn't come with an enclosure, and doesn't require water cooling.

Considering I got my K40 for less than $500 including shipping and the few bits I've changed from stock, the diode lasers they keep sending are definitely not worth the cost.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Wang Commander posted:

Any advice on K40s? If I move to a bigger garage, I want to get one. What can it cut?

I've cut 3mm ply and 3mm acrylic without issue. I really think the bread and butter of that machine is engraving slate. Diodes can do it, too, but I engrave slate coasters at 150mm/sec and they come out great.

My other favorite bit is zapping the anodizing off of aluminum. Once you get it dialed in, they look amazing. You can also engrave glass, which I'm not sure a diode can do? Additionally, all the diodes, since they use visible light (CO2 is infrared) recommend dark colored acrylic. You can engrave/cut clear acrylic just fine in a K40.

Just beware on the materials you cut, especially pleather and vinyl. Anything PVC based will provide you with a very bad time. The keyword to search for is PU (PolyUrethane) for that stuff, as it won't release chlorine and HCl gas.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

That's just called perfect planning

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Someone on Reddit posted an open source set of files to convert an Ender 3 to a belt printer and I'm fighting the urge to try it out very hard.

Especially since the bulk of the BOM is "buy an Ender", basically.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

As in a tilted-Z belt printer or one that still has a vertical Z and just runs a belt over a stationary build plate like the old Thing-O-Matic?

Because in both cases there is a reason not many people are talking about them any more and they all have to do with adhesion if you print anything that isn't PLA.

Tilted Z belt. Like the CR-30.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

See above about only being able to "reliably" print in PLA.

That's all I print with, anyway. But as a difference between an Ender 3 + some parts vs $1k. I like where it's going.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

I get the impression theyre looking for investor funding at this point. No footage of this thing printing and documentation is all over the place

It's "released", but yeah. The comments on the post are pretty much the same.

Definitely keeping an eye on it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

So, in your circumstances, I feel like a ventilated enclosure would better serve for protect the printer than people.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 13, 2022

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

St. Blaize posted:

do you have any specific mods you recommend for the ender 3? i actually got a couple of the microcenter specials for family as gifts and would love to make life easier for them

Metal extruder. Stiff bed springs (or silicone standoffs). Capricorn tube.

Huge improvements for a few bucks.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

I couldn't get rid of mine fast enough, but maybe yours will be different

My E3v2 was great out of the box, and even better with the standard upgrades. Sorry you had a bad experience. I still can't get over how quiet the drat thing is.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Considering I have a Dell R710 under my desk. The base fans in an E3v2 are pretty drat quiet overall.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I've taken to using small dabs of UV resin in some instances instead of CA glue. A quick hit with the UV light and it's tacky or better and allows me to move on much faster than CA.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Dear smooth PEI-coated spring steel beds,

Where the gently caress have you been all my life?

Holy poo poo what a fantastic printing experience. Unless I find that there's significant differences in grip between smooth and textured, I'm never ever ever going back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Smooth is nice but I'm a recent convert to textured after trying it for PETG -- yeah, the bottom layer isn't as perfectly smooth to the touch, but adhesion is still great and most of the time the print automatically detaches itself once the buildplate cools.

I haven't done any petg with the V2 yet, but I have 2 textured plates for when I'm ready to.