Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Alright bros. I last posted here asking about which printers to buy, and y'all gave me solid recs. Of those, I'm about to pull the trigger on a Raise3D E2. Use case is printing electronics enclosures for prototyping and small production runs. And accessories to attach to enclosures, including off-the-shelf ones like mounting hooks, display mounts etc. Mostly in ABS.

I'm going to throw the Ender in a dumpster. My time and sanity aren't worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Ordered a Raise3d E2.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 21, 2021

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

You repeatedly broke the Second Law, and now you're breaking the Third. Go to the place you summoned your spaghetti monsters from.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Stand near it and press △ to harvest the metal shards and components.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Maybe the binder clips too

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

It wasn't raptor or chubby dolphin paint was it?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hamburlgar posted:

Time is slowly coming for me to start upgrading my print fleet from my Ender 3s.

Obvious choice is a bunch of Prusas, but am I totally mental for even considering the Vivedino Troodon?

Not a whole lot of info on them. I just don’t have the available free time to build a Voron.
I upgraded to a Raise3D from Ender after careful consideration, although I don't have a fleet, and can't vouch for it yet; hasn't arrived. Use case is making small parts and enclosures at moderate quantity.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Solidworks if you can get the $20 license. (Student? Military?)

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

BMan posted:

god help me, I just downloaded freecad (realthunder branch)

Please don't install; it's capable, but a mess.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Serenade posted:

I use OpenSCAD but I'm a software developer with a background in functional programming, and that's a pretty narrow demographic.
Something to consider for those looking into OpenSCAD when comparing CAD programs: In terms of capabilities and productivity, it's not in the same league as programs like Fusion, Inventor, and SolidWorks. I took a snipe at FreeCAD earlier for its messy UI, but I'd recommend FreeCAD over OpenSCAD. You'll find working with practical designs frustrating and slow, and may hit roadblocks. This applies even to someone with a background in coding. I'm posting this because this isn't immediately obvious from articles comparing various CAD platforms.

Blender is outstanding, but it's more for creative designs. This might apply to a 3d print! If you're making a part, use a CAD program. If making something artistic, use Blender.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 27, 2021

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'll be satisfied once it demonstrates it can do this consistently. So far, so good. My hope is that it'll work without uncertainty and fussing.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

That's encouraging news. I'm already impressed by how easy it was to go from unboxing to printing a usable part (where I already had an STL ready).

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

What use cases are y'all using SLA for? For context, I'm sticking with filament since I want to be able to solvent-bond parts to injection-molded ABS parts. And it seems like the process for FDM is more hands-off and safer, at the cost of poorer-quality prints.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

becoming posted:

The Prusa is my minivan, the Ender will be my Miata. Or my Jeep.
Ender's more MG than miata.

I recognize from your post that your idea of fun may be what I'd describe as frustration. The Ender 3 is designed with low-cost as one of its primary requirements. It's capable of good quality prints.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 10, 2021

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

becoming posted:

You are right that my Miata has needed basically no tinkering, though to be fair I just meant it more as "the Ender 3 is for fun and for upgrading"; still, I think your MG comparison is probably more apt, I just don't currently own an MG, whereas I do own a Miata and a Jeep (and an Odyssey, three kids and all). But to the point, I think I'm okay with the idea of an MG, printer-wise; I've owned five different European cars and every one of them has had electrical issues that needed near-constant troubleshooting. My 1984 Volvo 242 Turbo went through a phase where the right turn signal - but only the right - would cause the engine to cut out. Yay tinkering!

I did read through the whole thread before posting, and saw that you dumpster'd your Ender 3. I hate to see functional electronics tossed, but it sounds like yours was not particularly functional! I am hoping that mine fares slightly better. I do intend to tinker with it, but I also intend to print up more toys, so at the end of the day I want it to mostly work.
It sounds like you know what you're getting into, and this is the right path. Something fundamental to why I tossed an Ender, and am not discouraging you from buying it: Your Prusa is your tool (STS), and you're buying a toy. The 3d printer is a tool for me, and I wanted something that works reliably, without much intervention.

edit: A 2006 miata was my first car. Drove the hell out of it for 7 years; sold before moving overseas, and miss it.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 10, 2021

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Total accident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Switched from ABS to PLA for a non-structural piece. Easier to remove from bed, and better finish on the surface in contact with the bed. Super-glues to the ABS enclosure. Going to add some load-bearing parts in the same color, but in ABS, solvent-welded. (Eg mounting hooks).

Could probably take advantage of the large bed with uneveness-compensation to print many more at once, but keeping the print towards the center for now.