Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
I've come for help!

I'm trying to diagnose some new issues. I've been printing glass fiber nylon for multiple years with no issues on my upgraded Creality CR-10s. However now I'm getting crazy oozing and heat creep that only results in a clog once the print is finished.

The first time it happened I near fully disassembled and reassembled the hotend to make sure all the connections were tight but the problems persisted.

I've always printed the polymaker glass fiber nylon at 280c which is the bottom of their suggested range but I tried reducing it to 270 to see if maybe my thermistor was off and giving me a low reading. That made zero difference.

Heres all the upgrades the machine has:

Micro Swiss All-Metal-hotend w/ direct drive kit and an A2 hardened steel nozzle

a satsana fan shroud with 4020 blower for parts cooling plus a 4010 noctua heatsink fan.

In my general troubleshooting inexperience my thoughts are to maybe get a more powerful heatsink fan, upgrade the heatbreak, or both but I feel like that would only solve the heat creep issue.

Also to ward off an obvious question, I am tighting all connections again once the hotend is up to temperature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Some Pinko Commie posted:

When was the last time you re-applied thermal paste between the heater block and the barrel on the hotend, to ensure heat actually transfers along the heatbreak to the cooling fins on the heatsink?

This area:

Also I hate that hotend design.

Brilliant question! Never. That would 100% explain the heat creep. Googling around it looks like boron nitride paste is the go-to. Any chance the heat creep is related to my oozing?

I'm open to upgrading the hotend I just don't know what would be compatible with the microswiss direct drive.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

queeb posted:

Yeah literally the only color I have is grey in my shop right now lol, and that's all I buy.

And yeah once a week, I'm spending about ~400 a week on materials right now or so

What filament brand do you use?

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

kid sinister posted:

Is there any hope for extracting a nozzle with a broken off head? Or is this as hopeless as extracting broken bolts on a car? Luckily I had a spare head and I already installed it. I was wondering if I should just throw the old one away or not.

I imagine you might be able to remove it using a screw extractor kit. Probably depends on the material the nozzle is made of though.