Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

3d printer beginner here, got the box in and set up. Everything seems to have gone okay so maybe I shouldn't be concerned but squinting at low res shots in a manual vs what happens in the real world doesn't convince me I got things adjusted perfectly so I figured I'd borrow experienced eyes to critique things.

The first layer calibration:

Near the end. Are those gaps and irregularities normal?

Finished product:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Prusa claims theirs average around 80 watts

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone wanna give "modeling for 3d printers" technique advice to an idiot? I started this project case both because I want the case and it'd be a good stepping stool to other stuff. I knew overhangs would be an issue but I wanted to get the basic idea down so I have something to iterate on. I pooped out this:

Obviously the slicer hates it and wants to enter a ton of supports no matter which way I orient the model. So what's the better approach? Remove the spacers and print with the big side down? Embrace the supports? Print as two parts and stick them together? Something else entirely?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Perfect, thanks. I was halfway there.. I had it in my head if I deleted the spacers I'd have to go buy some risers. Clearly I am not yet thinking in terms of I can make whatever the hell I want.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think that's what Anakin said.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Some Pinko Commie posted:

Only use OpenSCAD and Sketchup if you have a kink for lovely software implementation.

Could be worse, it could be FreeCAD.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Arcsech posted:

If you’re willing to deal with the jank typical of open source projects, FreeCAD is extremely capable. A pain in the rear end maybe, but very capable.

After the fourth time freecad tied itself in knots trying to resolve a part and I saw no option but to delete and start over, I gave up and decided being forced to store my projects in someone's data mining cloud service was a little more tolerable.

Yeah, freecad is technically capable of making impressive stuff and that's rad. But even in the context of open source jank it's over the top.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In my experience most of the tone comes from the pickups and their placement so the significant bit with a budget guitar is what the cheap pickups can output.

Everything else is mostly for the benefit of human comfort, a quality neck feels better in the hand.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PLA fumes give me headaches so while there may not be any actual or documented long term harms it's definitely not inert.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah it's not really a critique of PLA as I've developed a handful of sensitivities the past year or two.. exhaust fumes, soldering fumes, the waft of VOCs when opening a sealed container full of plastic, staring at a screen too long, etc. So PLA might be "fine" in a statistical sense and I've just grown to one end of the bell curve.

But it certainly illustrates that PLA (or the vendor specific additives) off gasses something and even if one doesn't have issues it's absolutely putting stuff in your lungs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Any practical advice for printing TPU? Lots of cautions out there of it being a sponge, clogging gears, and getting stuck in bowden tubes. I'm still pretty new to printing and am having success with PLA, but I want to make a couple squishy things and I'm unclear how big a ramp in difficulty this is.

If it matters, I'm using a prusa mini.

The prusa docs suggest loosening the idler, but gives no specifics. Just trial and error it?