Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

I'd like to talk about nitrile gloves for resin/print handling since as an alternative I'm actually using super cheopo sandwich gloves similar to what the workers at Subway would use (https://www.amazon.ca/Ronco-Deli-Medium-Disposable-Gloves/dp/B00QEGN8TE/ref=sr_1_10). Most of the time the glove is on for about 10 seconds total (take off flex plate, scrape off prints, put plate back on) and using a nitrile glove for that becomes kind of expensive if you print a lot. They are also great when taking the vats off the machine, since I can take the vat off with one set of gloves and then quickly put on clean gloves and not risk accidentally transferring uncured resin from the gloves underneath the vat.

That being said, for all I know maybe resin can leech through the plastic instantly and I've been slowly poisoning myself for months.

I think there is a pretty high risk of that with gloves so thin. I did the opposite, I have heavy duty nitrile cleaning gloves that I have been using for months, I switch over to normal gloves for detail work but otherwise this has saved me hundreds of gloves/waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Hadlock posted:

here is the wavey output of using 0.45 external perimeter width. There are about 4 "waves" in the surface, looks like it got left in a car in the arizona heat all day, or hit with a hair dryer for too long

Here's the stern test piece I'm printing @ 0.90mm external perim width, it'll superglue to the stern ... also added a small brim as that seems to have a huge impact on edge lift

How fast can you go with a 1.0mm? I sort of assumed that the speed of the nozzle couldn't go any faster, but I guess I'm wrong?

Ok, I just tried my stern model which is clocking in at 6h39m for 0.4 nozzle, 0.90 external perimeter width, 0.20 layer height, 25mm/s nozzle speed

Modified to 1.0, 0.90 ext perim width, 0.20 layer height, 50mm/s nozzle speed.... 6h39m?

Boost your layer height, no sense printing .20 with a 1mm nozzle

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

Also, what do you mean by "curing prints under water"?

When the first wave of cheap MSLA printers came out (2019?) it was common practice to UV cure cleaned prints in water, due to the belief that oxygen inhibited the curing process. Still how I do it though it seems that everyone has moved on from that.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

NofrikinfuN posted:

Ordered a Prusa mini but also suffered some serious impulse control issues and also ordered an Elegoo Mars 2 for some resin stuff.

Any recommendations on filament or resin, or is it pretty much just buy whatever unless you want a specific property like carbon fiber?

Also any upgrades/supplies I should go for immediately or soon?

Where to you all set up? Does a standard tabletop work or will I need to take extra care that there's no wobble on whatever I set it on? I have a rack for a 40 gallon aquarium I could potentially mount things too if necessary, otherwise I'm just gonna park it on a table in my office.

Elegoo ABS like resin is good at a good price point, Siraya tech has a lot of very nice resins if you need more flexibility or strength. Any well rated PLA on Amazon will work just fine for filament, I like overture matte PLA because the matte finish dulls artifacts and layer lines.

For resin you will need isopropyl alcohol, a box of nitrile gloves, and some way to clean and final cure the prints. I found little containers with baskets in them from the dollar store, used two of them filled with IPA to clean. First one was a dirty bath to shake it around and get majority of resin off, second one is cleaner IPA to rinse again, scrub with a toothbrush and then one more rinse. Dry off and then cure with a UV light or the big yellow UV light in the sky. Also get lots of paper towels.

E: maybe I want to die of resin poisoning

Bodanarko fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 15, 2021

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

NofrikinfuN posted:

Thanks for the recommends. If nothing else I will definitely go for matte finishes to mitigate the lines. On that note, do I need any special nozzles? The only options during the order were powder finish build plate which I skipped over and filament sensor which I added. I'm fine printing default sizes while I am figuring things out, but I'd like to push how fine it can print detail at some point.

Good call on the gloves, I would have forgotten. I did pick up a bunch of 99% IPA and i went ahead and got the wash and cure station.. Are those very effective, or will I most likely be busting out a toothbrush anyway?

Duh nitrile not latex, bad brains from all the resin inhalation/absorption probably.

With cure and wash you should be good to go without a toothbrush, they are pretty effective.

I haven’t ever needed a finer nozzle than .4 but I got a variety pack of cheap ones on Amazon (.1-1.0) just for fun and you can blow through filament and print things very quickly (if not prettily) using a .8/1.0 nozzle.

Having a resin printer, I think all your detail work would end up on that instead of requiring smaller nozzles but I’m sure there’s some application.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Can you not get/use like industrial chemical resistant gloves? The super thick kind.

When I was printing a lot I used heavy thick reusable dishwashing type gloves when doing things like filling/emptying vats or cleaning, stuff that doesn’t require lots of fine motor or detail, had no issues using the same pair for months. Wiped them down with IPA if they had any resin contact and had no issues.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Trabant posted:

Hi all. I'm a total novice looking for a sanity check on a design's printability and hoping you can help me out. This is what I put together in Tinkercad:

All measurements in mm, shown using Tinkercad's baffling ruler feature.

This is a replacement base for an old electronic clock that I'll be farming out for actual printing, most likely in PLA. You're seeing it upside-down: the hemispheres in the corners are "feet" for the clock.

My understanding of 3D printing (and it's bare-bones, so I apologize in advance) is that you don't want long overhangs and do want large flat areas that would adhere well to the plate. Well, I have the opposite -- the flat area is small (75mm x 28mm) and the overhang is huge (75mm x 47mm).

Should I give up on the feet (which I can probably make/buy on my own) and instead allow the print to be printed rightside-up, with the large flat area acting to enable adhesion? Or is this a non-issue?

I would lose the feet and print right side up. If you want to print the feet still you could either just print and attach them after, either by leaving it flush, leaving an indent/pin for placement or what have you.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

poverty goat posted:

I was thinking about buying a sub-$200 3d printer to shoot off small things like training aids for my weed plants and stuff like drip rings and fittings and parts for peristaltic pumps for my imaginary future hydro setup, but people I know with 3d printers told me I'd end up wanting to dump $300 into it and should just start with a $500 printer. And if that's still the case, it's not worth it to me. But I'm really not in it to print multicolored artisinal barnacle jim dildos, just simple plastic parts, so is a stock Ender 3 really going to be that bad? I don't mind some tinkering as long as it's not a constant struggle to keep it running.

Nah you can definitely get by with a stock ender for a long time. Only *must* upgrade is probably the metal extruder since the plastic ones break always. Under 10 bucks on Amazon usually

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
What’s the secret to getting lychee supports to work? I love the features of the program but spent half the day today trying to get a mini printed (photon mono x, elegoo normal white) but light/medium supports and fixing all islands still resulted in total failure of anything other than supports 5x. Prusaslicer auto supports on the same exact mini with the same exact print settings worked perfectly fine but I would like to be able to cut out that part of the workflow.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Doctor Zero posted:

Can you post a screen? How is it failing?

Just complete failure of anything beyond supports, imprint of the mini left on the FEP. Ratcheting up exposure would probably “fix” it but I am overexposing as is, and these same print settings work fine for a mini supported with Prusa auto supports.

I’ve tried manual light, manual medium, a mix of the two, adding in heavy supports to anchor, tried the “magic” button with medium and light but they all fail the same.

I’ve been consistently printing minis with chitu or prusaslicer supports for 2 years and I’m just baffled at how ineffective these supports are for me.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
I’ll post a screenshot and settings when I get back to the computer. My first guess was resin but I printed the same mini using prusaslicer auto supports and had no issues with that same resin/machine.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
If it’s curling straight out of the nozzle, another culprit could be a clogged nozzle, google “ender cold pull” and see if you get anywhere with that. It’s free to try!

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Aren’t you talking about an open box/bezos refurbished product anyways?

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

poverty goat posted:

Advertised as usable

Tbh it was just listed as open box, in new packaging but it has clearly been assembled, disassembled and returned before, yeah. But it wasn't cheap enough to have to refurbish it myself.

There’s issues with creality QC and many obvious flaws with ender 3/pro/V2 out of the box but it seems like your gripes should be pointed more at rocket boy than hobbyist 3D printing goons in this case

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
E3D also debuted a new nozzle. Some buzzword name I can’t recall, claim it’s basically wear proof and plastic doesn’t stick to it, but it’s E3D so probably closer to the truth than you might think. Price is similar to NozzleX. All this from a YouTube interview with one of their awkward fellows.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Honestly, I only clean/lube/level etc after a fuckup or if I’m changing resins drastically. Probably should do more but I’ve put bottles and bottles through my OG Mars without doing more than rubbing some lube on the lead screw occasionally. FEP replace definitely only when I’m getting bad artifacts from wear on it or obviously if it’s punctured.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Probably want to make sure you seal the imprint tools with some kind of varnish or clear coat since resin has weird properties and can never really be counted on to be skin safe, wouldn’t want to transfer that onto soap

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Anything I should know about screwing into pla? I got some AliExpress svideo sockets that expect to be screwed into whatever, so it needs to hold solidly enough for removing tight cables but it's not weight bearing or the like.

Best options are doing a captured nut like Prusa does on their 3D printed printer parts, or metal heat set screw inserts for anything that may be screwed in more than once. If it’s a one time deal then I’ve gotten away with just making a hole slightly smaller than the diameter of the screw (including threads) and making sure to have extra perimeters so there’s lots of plastic to deform around the screw.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

poverty goat posted:

What's the deal w/ cheap bulk brass nozzles?

You get what you pay for. Higher likelihood of burrs and poor machining on inside & maybe bungled threads. That being said, that’s all I buy for my squad of Prusa mini+s & mk3Ss and an E3pro. Quality E3D nozzles are cheap enough that it’s probably worth the cost but I’ve never had any issues with the cheapos.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Yeah I don’t know about nozzles that are *that* cheap lmao, I’ve been getting 24-30 for around 8 bucks on Amazon and that’s as cheap as I’d go.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Latest uncle jessy video is a great demonstration of 3d scanning via phone that doesn’t suck rear end. Using EM3D (free but 6.99 to unlock exporting .OBJ) and an iPhone or iPad with FaceID, you can use the front facing camera and FaceID IR array to get very high quality 3D scans of faces/heads (presumably things head sized or larger would work too). Then using whatever 3D modeler of your choice, you can clean it all up and print, or in his case, use it as a template for making a mask.

Far and above better than any results I got with photogrammetry alone even with the LIDAR on some iPhones, and I’ll have nice busts printed out in FDM and in resin tomorrow from 10 minutes spent scanning and cleaning up the scan.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
I have printed 15+ benchies across 5 different MINI+ with that same stock gcode with no stringing, so I don’t know how well that will solve your problem.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

withak posted:

They have demoed the next Prusaslicer beta showing a material/color painting tool similar to the support painting tool that is in there now. It appeared to be a pretty fiddly manual process, not sure if there exists any official way to make something like an stl with the differing colors/materials built in.

The usual way is by having each different “part” be a separate part or object, so it’s easy to designate those parts as a different color or material. This is how Cura did it last time I played with a dual extruder (2019?)

I put down a deposit, I can’t really see myself needing more than 2 extruders but who knows what I will decide later on.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Unless the free end of the spool is totally loose it’s probably fine.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

Getting a weird issue right now on one of my Mono X machines. Using the same settings and resin I've been using for months, all of a sudden my prints are brutally overexposed (fused supports, impossible to remove, etc). The same file on my other Mono X prints fine.

I'm assuming this is a sign of something dying in the machine, but every screen failure I've experienced has been very different than this. Do you guys have any ideas?

Double check that the exposure % isn’t higher than the others on the machine? Idk how that would happen but it’s all I can think of beyond the screen failing weirdly

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Ygolonac posted:

Dumb question time - for general use (PLA/PETG), is it OK to have minor gaps (not more than 1/4 inch) at the enclosure edges?

Enclosure really isn’t necessary at all for PLA or PETG unless you are in a particularly drafty and cold room.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Can’t link now but I got the double sided PEI Comgrow one for under $20 on Amazon and have had no issues.

That sounds fairly normal, I’ve had PLA leave residue on prusa PEI sheets and the ender magnetic beds previously, never printed on glass. Shouldn’t affect adhesion but can affect the underside of your print’s finish if that concerned you.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Does anyone in here have experience with the Bambu flat PEI sheet and printing PLA mostly? I have no interest in slathering a cool plate with glue but I’ve heard that the PEI sticker on the flat sheet delaminates after a very low number of prints and is just considered a “consumable”.

Bambu redditors wave that off but coming from using a prusa mini and printing constantly on one sheet for 2 years that sounds insane.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Neptune 3 Plus back in stock on elegoo’s site for the US. I’ve been very impressed by what I’ve seen in reviews of the Pro/Plus/Max and have been wanting something with a larger build volume than my Prusa Mini+ and E3Pro.

I’m just lucky the max isn’t available because I would have absolutely bought it just for printing exactly one 1kg rainbow articulated dragon and never anything that large again

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Yeah I love the idea, especially building something with a big build volume that can actually run fast enough to make use of it, but 1k+ cost of that much ABS and the hassle of printing it just has me waiting for a Bambu XL or whatever

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
+1 for the dual drives. Got one when my wife was stuck with one of the Macs with no USB-A for work, using a dongle was a pain every time we wanted to use our Mini+ and it’s a great solution for that

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
My Neptune 3 Plus is finally on the way and I need some bulk filament for printing giant trinkets. Is the IIIDmax PLA+ any good for the 11.99 price point?

E: 11.40 price point after coupon

Bodanarko fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 10, 2023

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Overature Prints real nice.. but when you can get 10 rolls for 115 bux.. you cant say no for IIIDmax

Yeah I’m a slut for overture matte PLA but the price on IIDmax is too hard to resist

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

Anyone know of good, simple options for setting up a remote camera to watch stuff, that isn't Octoprint?

I want to keep an eye on my glowforge while it cuts, but the Blink camera I got is awful. Only phone apps, the feed stops every few minutes so I have to start it again.

I want something that I can view from a Windows and Mac desktop in addition to phones. Something easy to setup and manage so my partner can (that's one of the big downsides to Octoprint).

Basically a camera connected to wifi that all devices in my house have access to view from.

Uncle Jessy just made a video about using Wyze cameras for watching 3d prints, and using that + a smart plug to give remote kill power.

But yeah lasers are a different beast and can go from 0 - HOUSE FIRE in no time flat

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Thankful this Bowden coupler failed while changing filaments and not in the middle of the print! I think it was a result of a wisp of filament stuck in the Capricorn tubing causing a jam that led to the coupler failing instead of grinding the filament I guess.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Dial M for MURDER posted:

I'm trying to get my Prusa mini dialed in

Did you reseat the PTFE tube/raise the heartbreak? Common issue with the mini even without sitting in a garage

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Fermentation belt as resin bottle/vat heater works great!

Up until you forget to plug it back in and your first print in 2 years on your (non mono) OG mars fails overnight, at which point you remember that the ancient printer doesn’t have a FEP/Vat cleaning mode and you have to clean the fucker by hand.

Was spoiled by my Mono X at work

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Anyone have experience with the Creality Halot Lite? Looking for a mono printer with a 8.9” screen and it’s considerably cheaper than competitors like the Saturn & Mono X. Is it that bad?

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Prusament is imo some of the cleanest printing and objectively most consistent and well wound filament. It comes at price premium though. $30 plus shipping is a lot when you can get decent filament for near 10 and very good filament for 20. The big killer is shipping, which fully priced me out of buying any these days. If you are ordering a printer then treat yourself though.

MK3s kits come with a 1kg spool of non prusament PLA that is pretty good, or at least they used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

queeb posted:

i was looking at the bambulabs p1p as my next printer but is it really worth over just getting another like, 2-3 ender 3 neos? I'm basically looking at throughput and space, and im not sure the p1p is faster than 2 or 3 neos.

Depends on the specifics of your space and the nature of the prints. If it’s many small/short prints then yeah more printers will effectively print as fast or faster with added flexibility. Larger prints will tilt it more towards the P1P and obviously 1 machine takes up less space than 2 or 3. P1P is also louder if that factors in.

That said, if you already have a neo or more I would probably tend towards just getting more as having a standardized set of printers that share common firmware/settings/parts, especially given that Bambu parts are proprietary and there aren’t a ton of 3rd party options available yet.