Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

drat, if you had a wee bit more room, you could have used proper wiring channels and everything :v:

Looks really, really good though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Some jackass probably figured out that it was a reasonable compromise between printing speed and detail, and had some source of them that wasn't exorbitantly expensive.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I don't particularly want to build one myself, but they're really neat and print really fast.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Scarodactyl posted:

Back in the 90s my dad made a router table specifically to cut more brio tracks. They were a very popular gift.

That's amazing :sun:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dark Off posted:

with PETG the problem is too much adhesion.
There is however a dirty cheap way to make it work perfectly and that is regular glue sticks, it provides protective barrier between the print and printbed.

That's why Prusa made the (textured) powdered coat sheet, and then later on the satin sheet that has a finer texture. No glue stick required.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I unfucked the heatbreak on my Mini+ and now it's a complete champ, no issues whatsoever :sun:

(Having said that, I'm sure it will gently caress up in some annoying way tomorrow)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I have a lightly modded Prusa i3 Mk2.5 and a Mini+. The Mk2.5 has been entirely problem-free after I got rid of the MMU2, and the Mini+ suffered from the heatbreak/ptfe tube issue and has given me a fair amount of grief dealing with that.

The Mini is a weak design, I wouldn't recommend it for print farm use, better to get an Mk3s(+) for that type of work.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That's a fire hazard.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Chainclaw posted:

Second print after the test print is looking fine. Could be improved, but it's better than anything I've gotten off my previous two printers.

How's your belt tension looking?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I think he's hinting at the horizontal pattern on your prints that looks like belts are too tight.

That was the implication ( :haw: ), you can read out the tension in the menu on the mk3s.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I sold my MMU2S, it was annoying enough to deal with for single filament printing :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'd spend my money elsewhere.

Prusa isn't pursuing the current MMU line at all, as far as I know. They've even teased a tool-changing setup for their upcoming Prusa XL printer.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Print a 3x3" first layer calibration file and adjust it as it prints, should be fairly easy to dial in.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

My Mini+ is rapidly becoming my go-to printer after I fixed the heatbreak issue :sun:

I guess it's time to list the Mk2.5 soon...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

My only grief has been self inflicted (MMU2) or an easy fix (move heat break) so far with the cursed P-name printers :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Javid posted:

Right, I was also under the general impression that a bed being sold for money would be flat enough to function as such. Where are people buying these pringle-shaped beds and why would you throw more money at that problem instead of having a defective product immediately replaced?

I guess they just can't stand sending their money to Czechia.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

withak posted:

One time I failed to tihhtrn my nozzle and the heaet was totally off.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'm not printing enough to justify having two printers, so I guess the Mk2.5 has to go :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Deviant posted:

all this talk about having a "long duration" and "short projects" printer makes me want a prusa mini to go next to my mk3s

Or a small Voron? :allears:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The Eyes Have It posted:

There used to be until everyone went blind

:drat:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Both my Prusas print PLA at 210-215 with the default PLA profiles, so I don't know :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Deviant posted:

It's a brand new sealed sample from prusa and it had been out of the bag, oh, 5 minutes? While I loaded.

Print some filament you have that you know prints well in a different printer?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Check the heatbreak spacing, they're still shipping new units where that isn't to spec. I had issues with clogging as a result of that, but after fixing that it prints really, really well.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Deviant posted:

As a result of this info, which I also saw on google, I did a heatbreak teardown/rebuild. it's definitely to spec now. There is absolutely no gap between nozzle and heatbreak. Between that and the known good filament, if it's still fucky, I'll poke at the idler tension.

I used this video as a guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8eoFsOJelg

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It's most likely the filament, my Mini prints a lot cleaner with most PLA filaments I've tried, using the normal Prusaslicer settings (215/210 hotend, 60 bed).

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SEKCobra posted:

It's starting to look like the Amazon filament I just started on a few days ago is poo poo. I've had a massive clog on a long print that subsequently failed because of it. I replaced the nozzle, and I am still seeing the same artifacts in the walls (ridges, looks like underextruded walls to me). I guess I should just trash the roll? Or is there some way to check/adjust for that?

The bolded part? That's NOT a normal troubleshooting step for when a new (to you) filament acts up, there are other things you should do first. Nozzles will last a good long while if you're printing non-abrasive filament.

As the previous poster mentions, dry the filament first, and do a temp tower to figure out the sweet spot for that particular type of filament. They're not all the same. You might just have to run this filament hotter.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Tramming and Z offset is not the same thing, conflating the two is hardly productive.

Mesh bed leveling the way Prusa has solved it is pretty neat and just works™ for most people, as long as your z offset isn't too far out of whack.

Dr. Despair posted:

Are creality still tinning their wires and creating potential electrical/fire hazards down the road? Cause I have a hard time recommending an ender3 while that's happening, period.

Regardless, if you get a cheap printer you need to spend some time making sure it's actually safe to use before you can reasonably get to the part where you make sure it's easy to use.

And this is a huge part of why I tell people to get a Mini+ (beginner) or consider building a Voron (advanced) if they ask for printer advice :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'm feeling that Voron urge :downs:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Hadlock posted:

So not a peep from Prusa on the XL since mid November

Apparently they're always late on delivering preorders

What's the goonsensus on when these things finally start shipping

Did they promise an estimate by now?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

3D-print a jig :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

pbpancho posted:

Prusa Mini for $250 locally. That seems like a pretty dang good deal right? I've got an MK3S+, but it's going enough that a 2nd machine would see use, and it'd be nice to be able to print a part for when I break something (was out of commission for a few days recently when my fan duct got eaten by a blob while I waited to get one from a friend).

As long as it's not messed up - yep!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Every surface the foodstuff touches would have to be food safe. Including the "filament" path in the hotend.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

snail posted:

I often use the $17 Rock Pi S with Klipper if I'm not using KlipperScreen or a MIPI camera. Uses practically no power, has wifi, gpio, USB-C, and runs Debian/Ubuntu just fine. People turn their nose up at the 512MB RAM, but only need about 100MB to run Klipper and the rest anyway. The CPU itself is more than fast enough.

And I can actually buy them, and cheaply.

This is interesting :sun:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'd just use a 60W 24V heating element on a V0.1, and a lot of the kits come with those as well. I don't trust SSR's :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

If you are considering ABS, you might as well look at ASA, IMHO.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Vorlon? Are you assembling aliens in your basement? :v:

What Voron are you building?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

~~** warble the build has already started. it is too late for the parts to vote warble **~~~

I guess I type 'Vorlon' a lot more often than 'Voron'. Although.... now I want to do the thing in Vorlon colors.... :hmmyes:

Got my eyes on a Voron Trident 350x350. Go big or go home. I'm also in the US (East Coast) if that matters. Direct Drive, Hidden joins.

The frame kits seem to be cheaper than buying direct from Mitsui anyway. I don't mind spending more for quality parts. I seem to remember someone here saying they got a kit, but some part of it wasn't good. I'm all ears.

With how hosed logistics is right now, a complete kit is probably the most cost-effective. Nero3D on youtube has some videos about that.

Don't worry, it's tedious enough to build a Voron even if you get the entire BOM delivered in one box :v: (sans printed ABS/ASA parts), it's by no means a Prusa building experience.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

More or less, yeah.

I'd build one with the new Revo hotend, being able to (more or less) painfully switch between nozzle sizes comes in handy when dealing with a large print volume.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

88C bed temp is probably too low, I'd use 100C for first layer and 105-110C for the rest of the layers.

Let it sit at temperature for a little bit before starting a print, that'll get the enclosure temperature up a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I've upping the bed temp to 100C and did some playing around with fan settings in Cura (leaving it off until the 5th layer, max 30% speed). The first layer seemingly went down well, but when I came to check on the print at around the 75% mark it had come loose from the brim and was wiggling around under the nozzle. I stopped the print and took it out. I noticed that the brim was still reasonably adhered to the bed, however when I went to peel it off the individual lines came apart (with PLA they always stay together in one solid piece). I'm guessing this is what happened to the print; the piece separateed from the brim in the same manner.

Go up a few degrees on the hotend. You shouldn't need glue on PEI for ABS.