Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Kambrook
Feb 14, 2012
Oh wise 3d printing goons, I come to you to help troubleshoot an issue that's been driving me bonkers for days.

Printer: Qidi X Max 3 (About a month old)
Filament: So far issue has happened across "Easy Print PETG" as well as Qidi PETG and Qidi Odorless ABS.
Slicer: Qidislicer (which is based on prusaslicer) and Orcaslicer
Temp: Variety of temps suitable for different filaments, from 230-270 nozzle, bed 80-100. Chamber temp of 55 for ABS doesn't seem to affect issue.
Layer Height: 0.25
Speed: Issue occurs even when printing slowly at 30mm/s and doesn't seem affected when printing much faster.
Retraction settings: everything from 0-4mm retraction, 10mm/s and 60mm/s speed. (If this problem is to do with retraction, turning retractions off should make it better/worse, right?)
Nozzle: 0.6mm Hardened Steel. (Problem still persisted when swapping to 0.4mm)

I'm having issues with really dodgy seams at the end of the outer perimeter, particularly on corners or overhangs (and extra with overhanging corners). It's like maybe the end is getting ripped away when the nozzle moves off? Or maybe just underextruding for this specific bit? I've made a print of square/round straight/overhang shapes to demonstrate the problem.

Straight and Round. Not bad. Possibly just loss of detail due to 0.6mm nozzle?

Round Overhang.

Straight Square

Overhang Square

The closest thing I've got to a clue at this point is noticing when I'm changing filament if I'm pulling on the filament there's noticeably more friction than when I freshly thread the filament through the tubing?

Turning Z-Hop off also doesn't seem to help the issue. (I'm currently doing another test print with retraction turned off completely to double check this)
Problem persists using Arachne or classic perimeters.
I've done temperature towers and pretty sure I'm printing at the right temp.
I did the pressure advance tower test in orcaslicer and my value seems to be correct.

Gridfinity box printed in PETG which started all this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Kambrook
Feb 14, 2012

deimos posted:

There definitely seems to be some issues with overextruding, but I don't know if it would cause that pocking during layer change. It also seems like it could be backlash on the extruder gears.

Edit: also just noticed how the gridfinity has a tiny bit of uneven layers on that edge, make sure the belts are tight.

Edit: another thing may be pressure advance if it's waaay off.

Thanks for the help, extruder backlash is something I haven't heard of before I'll start doing some research on it.

I've been using a Prusa Mk3s with octopi for years, so I'm new to the latest stuff like klipper and pressure advance and vibration compensation etc.
I did a pressure advance test, Got the filament's value set to 0.021 atm and in Klipper pressure advance is set to 0.032. From the looks of the test, this seems to be in the right ballpark, although there are noticeable gaps where the line starts on the left.

I'm running a flow rate calibration now to see if that helps.
I also just noticed that the setting for nozzle size in klipper is still set to 0.4, although it is set correctly in the slicer. I'll fix this up but doubt it's what's causing the issue.

Something that seems odd to me which could be related is when I first load the filament in I get the same slight oozing out the nozzle like I'd expect. On subsequent prints though, there doesn't seem to be any oozing at all and I don't need to do the old "wait with tweezers to pinch it off just before the print starts" like on my prusa. I wonder if this could be related to some kind of pressure issue causing inconsistent extrusions?

King Kambrook
Feb 14, 2012

Thank you to everyone who suggested various fixes for the weird seams issue I was having.

I checked the hotend for gaps and tightened the nozzle and began a series of scientific tests to discover the issue.

Turned out it was mostly a retraction settings thing with just a little bit of pressure advance thrown in for good measure.
Reason why I was having such a horrible time trying to troubleshoot it was turned out orcaslicer was passing along pressure advance values to the Qidi in the tests, but not when doing actual prints!

Thanks again to everyone that helped.