Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh, while I'm thinking of it: Is there a small pry-bar like tool I could use to help remove support material and so on? I have a small flat head screwdriver I'm not particularly attached to that does the job, but I didn't know if there was something "better".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So here's a new one: I have a decent sized slab of PLA that has decided to warp on me. Never had that happen before. From what I've read online on the matter it usually seems to happen during the printing process, but this was fine until after I took it off the plate.

Should I have let it cool fully before pulling it off? That'd never been a thing so far, but this is also a good sight larger than my usual nonsense.

Also, I can "see" the previous print in the bottom of this one for god knows what reason. The plate itself doesn't have any noticeable indentations in it that would match, but you can see the previous print's profile and supports plain as day on the plate down side of the following print. Weird.

Best guess is that I should have IPA'd the plate instead of being lazy and it's some residue or something. I can sort of see something similar where the printer does the test line deal before the actual print.

Edit: https://www.wevolver.com/article/what-causes-3d-print-warping-and-how-to-prevent-it

"Warping occurs when the cooling process is not well controlled: in some cases the plastic cools too quickly on the build platform, or cools unevenly."

Ok so that was due to my dumb rear end just pulling it off as soon as it finished. Guess all my stuff before now wasn't beefy enough to have the thermal mass to get thrown off. Live and learn.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 24, 2024

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Is that a Battletech mech?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Are the models just out there? I wouldn’t mind printing couple myself.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Appreciate it, thanks

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That seam tech looks really drat cool. How quickly does it usually propagate out? I have no idea how quickly Cura adopts this sort of thing.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Yeah hold on, what’s wrong with a 3 S1?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Is a dryer necessary? I just chucked my unused spools in a plastic boxes with a few silica bags and that’s been doing fine by me. Or is that more necessary for stuff that isn’t PLA?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The “who the gently caress knows” makes me feel not great about having the printer in my office with me.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

How quickly does new stuff typically propagate out to the other slicers?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

AlexDeGruven posted:

My Microcenter doesn't have any of the 3d printing stuff.

I didn’t think that was even allowed. I’m hoping ours goes hard into it when/if it ever opens.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That sounds interesting. Have a link or the like?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

mattfl posted:

I've printed a few of the models from this guy, his designs are excellent and chopped up into small enough pieces that you could def print one on like the Bambulab A1 mini which would fall into your price range.

These are both printed in PLA.

I've been somewhat surprised by the lack of GunPla styled stuff out there, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if there was a very healthy community of the stuff and I just missed it. I did see a paid model that looked pretty nice but I'd like to get a better printer before doing anything like that.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Yeah I should do a stand or two.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Nerobro posted:

The wall stands that mecha gikotsu did on his resin printer.. while are awful in resin, are great in FDM. I have 20+ on the walls in my computer room.

These? https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3224734

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Is the weird pesudo line/hole effect here from being too low on my z offset? This is the bed side with a textured plate. I’ve been trying to dial things in a bit more and I noticed that if I go lower the print lines on the “top” of the piece look a bit “mushy” and seem to have inconsistent density, see:

(It’s a pain to get a good shot when in motion but you get the idea.)

Edit: It may bear mentioning that I'm putzing around with .16mm layer height instead of the usual .2. I think my Ender 3 S1 can handle that but I really ought to go check.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 9, 2024

Warbird
May 23, 2012

sharkytm posted:

Adding to this. If you see that scalloped/scale effect, it's from being too low.

Just to clarify you mean the whole business in the second picture?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

That top layer surface looks like you’re underextruding a bit.

Huh, thanks for letting me know. I just cancelled the job and pulled these off so I’m hoping that is most of it but I’ll add that to the list of things to look into. I’ve been meaning to poke at some mild stringing I’ve been seeing but it may make more sense to poke at that first.

To that end, is there a 3D printer version of this?:

It occurs to me that I don’t even know what a “good” print even looks like. “Sticks to the plate” and “in generally the right shape” have been my targets so far.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Perfect, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Quoting so I can find this later. These look excellent.