Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Hi thread,

I want to buy Kobra 2 max because I live in a dormitory with an architect school right next to me, and I can potentially get some side gig going. There's no 3d printing shop that's big enough anywhere close, I only know of a guy with standard sized one let's say 250x250 and since Kobra 2 max can do 420x420 (or larger) it's a lot more useable given my situation.

I'm also an artist and can 3d model, so I wouldn't be relying on premade models.

I've scoped the competition and it's not as severe as in the US, costs also make sense.

Someone talk me out of this potentially horrible idea and show me the downsides please. From my tiny bit of research majority of the people are just buying 3d printers and relying on premade models, hoping to recuperate the costs and make some side money lazily, that's not the plan here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Javid posted:

That sounds like a pretty good side hustle, especially if you actually want a printer for yourself and can afford the one you want. I do have one question:

What kind of modeling can you do? I ask because I'm SURE you can find buyers for bespoke rapid prototyped FDM parts at an architecture school, but the kind of modeling that would require (CAD/parametric) is different from the blender type modeling I'd expect you to be referring to over at the art end of things.

Broadly, modeling talent of any kind tends to be scarcer than functional 3d printers, so if you're already sure you have the only printer in town, I'd say go for it.
I'm hoping to do a split with my neighbor who's an actual architect, since he'll know CAD side of things and I only know the "blender" kind that you mentioned.

Between the two of us we'd have it covered, or at least I hope so.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

hark posted:

In reference to the person a few posts back mentioning the kobra 2 max, I'd never seen this printer before, but based on how it looks I'm curious, is this one of those printers where you have to tinker with it to get good prints? I'd love a large format printer but I went from maximum tinkering to no tinkering printers and never really touched anything in between so I have no idea what's out there and how things are now.
https://auroratechchannel.com/3d-printer-price.php#section3
I went based off that, since my concern was size + speed, my pick fell between Neptune 4 max and kobra 2 max, and I did my very limited basic research on both and kobra 2 max seemed like a better deal, considering how many people complained about neptune 4 max to date.

Would love to actually hear from people with either one of these.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

On a subject of metal 3d printing, found some charming guy that did these 2 videos
https://youtu.be/LuZiqLb70tM
https://youtu.be/W1d36wbx_yg

And to me that's just lovely, true engineering there

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

It's been a month since I bought Kobra 2 max and I never felt a bigger buyers remorse towards anything in my life but it's too late to change because I've replaced so many things.
Been trying to fix it or make it functional for the whole month of daily work, reassembled it at least 4 times, most recent one tramming the entire gantry from scratch.
The most recent thing is the accelerometer and vibration compensation not working due to it, I ended up ordering the entire printhead cause it's only a few dollars more than a PCB for it.
Half of all my issues are it being my first 3d printer, and half is the printer itself, from closed firmware to just the way it is.

I'm sure community will somehow hack it to place klipper on it, but until that time I suffer with my dial indicator and kilograms of test prints.

Oh and for anyone who considered buying one, it prints fine but not nearly as well as it could have. Just get an elegoo Neptune 4 max instead, is what I should have done.

Strotski fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 13, 2024

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

tater_salad posted:

I think the Neptune 4 has klipper issues..
From what I hear the community has largely solved those, unlike k2max where it's too early for that.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

1.5 months later and I'm finally done with tuning my k2max.

The damage and financial report is quite extensive, ranging from the new PEI sheet and printhead to 2 noctua fans (stock ones are insanely loud), tools, consumables, disassembling the entire printer around 5 times because I trammed the gantry incorrectly and made all the mistakes I could.

Most of the issues were on me, other than things like accelerometer not responding due to most likely cable or motherboard. Main board fan bearings immediately giving out and me having to lube brand new fan. Not to mention anycubic firmware breaking z offset so hard that nozzles are slamming into the bed during ABL because the sensor had to be moved. (Not just me here, really was the firmware)

TLDR that I said before: stay far far away, I have spent what the printer is worth on the actual fixing and upgrades so far.

On the bright side I'm now an expert on this particular printer :unsmith:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Hello all. The section in the OP is a few years out of date, so I wanted to ask if someone could help me in choosing a PLA 3D printer. I have about $350 or so in my budget for one. I've never had a 3d printer before. Well, technically, I was given a resin one as a gift, but I never took it out of the box and will probably end up selling it.

As far as what I'm looking for, I guess I'd prefer if it was enclosed rather than not but that's not a hard and fast thing. Really, this is the main reason I want one:
https://www.toymakr3d.com/product/89-ironshell

I'm not sure if anything I can afford can make something like that, but that's where you guys come in I suppose! Help me out or talk me off the ledge, either or.
https://auroratechchannel.com/3d-printer-price.php

I went off that list among some others, it seems relatively unbiased.