Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I love 3d printing so much.
Need a proprietary parfocal spacer with an unusual m24x0.75 thread for a specialized objective on a Zeiss microscope from the 80s? No problem!

Need to replace a burnt out delaminated polarizer with one of the exact same dimensions? Buy a Zeiss replacement new for 400 bucks, used for [not even currently available], or buy a normal polarizer for 8 bucks and print a holder for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Back in the 90s my dad made a router table specifically to cut more brio tracks. They were a very popular gift.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I have an ender 5 plus and it is easy and hassle free for the most part.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I wanted to be able to mount old Nikon nosepieces onto an old Wild m420 head (basically allowing you to turn a good macrp photography system into a hardcore macro/micro system.) A bit challenging since the nosepiece has this unusual dovetail with an angled base

But working from an existing Nikon holder and a little F360 and

It works! Took three prints (one I put a chamfer in the wrong place, one the dovetail was a little too small) but came out just right. I designed it to include a metal plate like the original does but haven't cut it out yet, and it seems like it won't be necessary. It won't carry all that much weight and it feels very stirdy in petg.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I got random layer shifting back and forth because my hot end was a little loose. It could only move in one axis and only when nudged so it was very inconsistent. Might be worth checking.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I use aquanet and I like it.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

How cheap we talking?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I think this is my most complicated design yet. I had a broken accessory for an old microscope and turned it into a rotating polarizer. It has an outer shell that bolts onto the existing metal shell with a channel. The inner slider takes two bolts on the outside that keep it from sliding all the way out. The polarizer can rotate about 80 degrees, unfortunately not quite 90 but it wasn't possible geometrically.

It's a nice thing to have, and anyway I needed a spacer to make it fit together geometrically. This way it feels less like wasted space.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I like my ender 5 plus. We bought it fully assembled and it took an hour to set up, and the only serious headache it's given me so far was the bolts on the hot end loosening and needing some loctite.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

How about petg? Or would that not be heat resistant enough?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

When would you typically choose abs over petg? For my basic functional parts petg has always been good enough and quite low hassle (aside from the stringing, though that's partially my fault for not keeping it properly dry) but I have kind of wondered what I'm missing with abs. It's one thing to see bullet points on a site or whatever, but I'm curious about people's real-world decision making.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

They're a bit like thorlabs but without the snacks ( :( )

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

My 5 plus has been great. A few issues along the way, a couple bolts on the hot end came loose, limit switch failed on one axis, but all pretty quick and inexpensive to fix.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I just put this gem photography system together for someone and needed to add a glass plate, iris and gem holder to an old industrial microscope base. This would have been a huge pain by pretty much any other method.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I got an ad for an affordable* metal printer on youtube just the other day.

*apparently their idea of affordable is 100k if google is correct

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Ah, the ol' archer's paradox.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Have a hollow outer shell of one color, hollow inner shell of another, and use normal epoxy/resin to stick them together and fill in between with color and/or swirls.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Wow!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Acid Reflux posted:

The trend I've been seeing lately is people printing on rafts for no actual reason at all. No idea why that's making a comeback all of a sudden, but it annoys me in a way that I'm not sure I even have words for.
The bundled slicer creality sends with their printers has rafts on by default.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Hence newbies thinking it's just how you print things. There's gonna be a lot of that from black friday in a bit here.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Mine's been pretty good (5 plus preassembled though).

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

biracial bear for uncut posted:

YouTube guy is in for a bad time if he does that too much.
Well of course he's in for a bad time if he does it 'too much,' that's what 'too much' means!

Lots of things can really wreck you without appropriate ppe. Woodworkers can develop wood allergies, silica dust can permanently ruin your lungs, etc etc. And those don't have some of resin's special properties.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 9, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The day Creality releases a 3d printer that does not require mods out of the box to make for a decent end-user experience will be the day I stop laughing whenever someone says they sell good machines.
My ender 5 plus worked out of the box with about an hour of setup. I've had to do a bit of maintenance (ie tightening some bolts) but I haven't replaced anything major.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

if the clog is something like a grain of sand, you were never going to be able to burn that out anyway.
https://www.science.org/content/blog-post/sand-won-t-save-you-time

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I doubt they need to generate buzz when they have already sold more than they can make until q3. And once people actually get units there will be plenty of buzz.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I like f360 a lot, though they've recently added more limits to the free version and who knows what they'll do in the future.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I love 3d printing.

A tiny bit of filament, a 30 dollar lens and 30 dollars of metal spacers and I made one of these.
https://spectraservices.com/product/10447436.html

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Commodore_64 posted:

What microscope head is that? Is it a stereo microscope?
Yeah, it's a Leica M10 stereo microscope.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I love 3d printing. Got this microscope body super cheap because someone had removed the knobs and replaced them with flat caps. Now I just need to whiten the body plastic a bit.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I don't do resin printing, but do you think I'm right to tell my friend not to spend 10k on one of these for live prototyping of rings? https://www.b9c.com/products/b9-core-series
It seems to me like he could probably export his models and print them on a normal resin printer but maybe there is something I am missing.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Thanks! His gemcutting business has been taking off and he's hoping to get into jewelry making (but he'd having casting done by a third party rather than doing it himself, he just needs physical prototypes to prototype and/or impress customers with). I suspect even a cheap resin printer would work for that but I'm not sure. He's apparently been told that calibration and/or alignment are a timesink on other printers. That seemed questionable to me.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Scarodactyl posted:

Thanks! His gemcutting business has been taking off and he's hoping to get into jewelry making (but he'd having casting done by a third party rather than doing it himself, he just needs physical prototypes to prototype and/or impress customers with). I suspect even a cheap resin printer would work for that but I'm not sure. He's apparently been told that calibration and/or alignment are a timesink on other printers. That seemed questionable to me.
Turns out the actual reason is they have DRM on the generated models and you're locked in to using an overpriced printer and particular non-casting resin, and can only have the parent company do your casting for you.
Everyone loves that!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Actually my ender works great.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Who you suckers think you printing with?
Yes, I'm debossed

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Marsupial Ape posted:

Are there DIY projects for 3d printed benchtop cnc and engraving machines that are actually worth the effort? That’s one of my more nebulous longterm goals with the printer.
Got a ways into an rscnc32, but the instructions, while slickly assembled, are contradictory, and the design asks for parts that you'd pretty much need a cnc to make properly. It's Kind of Dumb.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The parts print really well at least. But there are so many weird issues and oversights (like who wouldn't include printable drill templates? I had to model my own like an animal).

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Nerobro posted:

"Find a job you love" is a lie on nearly every level.
I have a job I love that I got into through my hobby interests. It exists.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Javid posted:

one of my favorite things to make with my printer is the exact handle I need for one specific bit I use a lot

turns out 1/16" is about the right pilot hole size for a 2mm screw, which I buy by the hundreds for assembling my printed bullshit. you can see three of them in this thing itself - the two pieces enclose a little ring magnet that retains the bit in both directions while allowing it to be flipped for storage. because those little buggers will break :argh:

I might have to face to bloodshed and learn to deal with PET, so I can make a version of this that will not turn into silly putty if I leave it in my car for ten minutes during the summer, which is how my FIRST printed screwdriver handle died
Nice! I really like thr handfeel of a printed handle or knob, something about the layer lines gives them a very satisfying grip.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Dumb question but is your hot end in tightly? Mine got loose and started doing these back and forth shifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Yeah, all those....empty light sockets, that everyone just has.