Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Just saw an add for the Hitry Rocket 1, and I'm looking forward to someone else buying one, because it seems way too good for a resin printer?

It doesn't seem like another Peachy printer scam, but with a new company, I am very skeptical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Orbeez - not even once.

Thank you all for staying skeptical on that new resin printer. If it turns out to actually work, great! But I am not optimistic.

Back to failing to print anything with my Photon.

Another tangent: Has anyone with a Monoprice Mini tried replacing the pad on the bed with something magnetic? Mine cracked when I got too angry removing a stuck part.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Are any filament printers getting close to the detail of resins?

I want to love resin printers, but I hate the slowness and mess.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I bought a Monoprice MP10 because the build volume was big, and the price was low.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=34437

For anyone else tempted, there are two things I would have liked to known before I bought it:

1 - Use printing profiles for the Creality CR-10. They work great, while the monoprice profiles don't or don't exist at all.

2 - The auto-bed-level sensor will fail, just unplug it at the extruder when it does. Use the four thumbscrews under the bed to level manually. The thumbscrews are not shown in the manual, and you need to feel around to find them. then use the 'Home' button under the move settings to home the printer after each print.

This guide helped a lot, and while I purchased the upgrades recommended, I haven't needed to install them yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVcZmYa1QVM

Mine has been running consistently for months now.

I'm already thinking about adding a Bambu P1P though.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Had to do a lot of nob fiddling last night.

Bought a borosilicate build plate for my Monoprice MP10. Took forever to get the level dialed in, but now that it is, I'm pretty happy.

Nice to just be able to pop parts off the plate when they're done.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Anyone tried Protopasta? They have neat colors, but their prices are fairly high. I don't know if they're worth it.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

Welp, today was the day I came into a mess.

Believe it or not, the mess has gotten bigger, in the metaphorical sense.

I've mentioned this bastard printer a couple times in the thread before. It's a GCreate GMax 2. It runs some flavor of Marlin firmware.

I'm not the first one in, and my coworker has already turned the printer off, so I go to turn it on, thinking at least maybe I can heat up the nozzle and get some of the plastic off. The power supply kicks on, I see the BLTouch do it's little initialization, but the LCD screen doesn't come on. Not good. Okay, I think, I'm probably going to want to put in a support ticket to get faster answers than fussing with it myself, so I got to Gcreate's site.... and they shut down operations literally last week. Well, their support was never great, but that really puts me in an awkward spot.

With some additional experimentation, here is what I have figured out:

1) I'm probably going to just remove the hot end from the heater block down and replace everything. At least it's mostly standard E3D stuff. The one noteable bit is I know they used a higher wattage heater than the standard.

2) The Control board will come on if I connect via USB. However, I can't get any response from stepper motors or the heaters when I use commands from the menus.

3)The power supply is probably not the point of failure for the above. I grabbed another power supply to test, and I'm getting the same results.

4) My suspicion is that I've had some components fail internally. I've done a cursory lookover of the internals, but I don't see any obvious signs of disaster - no black marks, no lingering electronic burn smells. At the very least, it looks like this was built using mostly off-the-shelf parts - I believe the driver board is some version of the RAMPS board, with Pololu stepper drivers.

Any suggestions on what to do next? It feels like this is salvageable, but I anticipate it will be tedious.

I have nothing helpful to say, but that output is art. What do you want for the glob? I'll use it as a robot head. I'm not kidding.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

Ah yeah - Should have mentioned that - it definitely is a Mega2560-based system. Pulling things apart a little more, the board is a RAMPS 1.4A shield. It does not appear to have a fuse anywhere.

Photo of the control area opened up a bit:

I believe it is a 12V E3D Chimera. Looking at an old tech support email, they moved from the original 30 watt heater cartridge to a 50 watt to "help maintain hotend temperature [as well as heat up-time]".

The power supply is an ATX supply, so it makes it difficult to easily test because it must be plugged in for some of the outputs to work. I'll fuss more with it later this afternoon.

It is art, and unfortunately, my coworkers and I kinda want to keep it to put on a wall of shame.

Nifty. I just wanted to try and grab it in case it would be thrown out. Hail glob.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

Apparently Simplify3D just had a major update. Includes some amazing new features, like…ironing, and monotonic infill

https://www.simplify3d.com/products/simplify3d-software/whats-new/version-5-1/

Guess they weren't dead after all!

What is the favorite slicer around here, by the way?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Has anyone tried Resione for UV resin? I'm looking for a white, flexible resin that I could dye.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
What's the current recommendation on SLA printers? Anycubics looking cheap again.

Are they foolproof yet? (it is me. I am the fool).

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Thanks all. Mono x2 sounds like the way to go.

I think I'll buy the in-box air filters, but it doesn't seem like the wash and cure stations are worth the money? Due to small size, if nothing else.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
More questions:

Trying to compare the Elegoo Saturn 3 12K and the Anycubic Photon Mono M5s. They're about the same price and specs, though the Anycubic looks like it should give more consistent prints with the auto-leveling? Anything to recommend the Elegoo over the Anycubic?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I think I'm ready to move on from my CR-10 knockoff. It still works okay, but it's really slow.

Is the Bambu P1P still a good-to-best-choice if I'm looking for something big, fast, and foolproof?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Well, looks like I"ll order that P1S now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Some Pinko Commie posted:

Is that a Prusa XL tool head or something like it on another machine?

Lol didn't tighten the nozzle?

It's a Monoprice MP10. Which was a rebadged Malyan MR10. It was cheap and had a big build volume, and did it's job well for a year and half.

Not sure if the nozzle came loose or cracked, or what, I hadn't messed with it.

Compatible replacement hotends are looking hard enough to source that I'll just junk it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Ohvee posted:

I started working on this months ago, but between getting supplies (didn't have any soldering equipment) and two children under 4yo, it took a bit to prioritize.

Looks cool plugged in. Sooooo much cleanup left on the back though.

This is where I found it. https://makerworld.com/en/models/112019#profileId-119974 I would like to see him take on a NY Rangers sign...
Hell, I'd like to know the process so I could fart around and make some of my own designs. I have practically no 3d modeling/CAD experience, but do enjoy a challenge.

That looks amazing. I'm going to have to try one.

Thanks for the recommendations on the P1S. Set it up over the weekend, and it's incredible. Fast, great prints, everything pops right off the bed, and no failures so far.