Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

RabbitWizard posted:

:eyepop: I really like that if you have a thermal runaway it'll melt the cooling loop above the heating element, that's smart design.

Today I found a quick project, inspired by a comment on discord about 3D printing and unnecessary plastic in general.

I responded with :thunk: but then decided to give it a little effort. Actually, it's about ethics in 3D printing. It was really fun because everything worked out well the first time I did it and was done in less than 30 minutes. Except for making the gif, that took about another half hour because gimp screwed me over.

It's on my shelf with other prints now, of course

I like the joke and the level of effort, but the timing on the punchline is just off. That last frame where the product is in the trash (?) needs to be much longer. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on, and I've watched through it a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I accidentally sliced a model in prusaslicer set for a 0.6 nozzle and ran it on my prusa mini+ with the default 0.4 nozzle. It came out... fine? I'm unsure what sort of defects to look for, or if there are negative effects of doing this to my printer. But it sure was nice having a print take literally half the time it "should" have.

Why did this work?

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I'm about to attend an official Prusa users group meetup in Seattle. Mostly because there is about a 1 in 300 chance of winning a MK4.

Anything in particular any of you would like me to try to find out about?

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

smax posted:

Anticipated release schedule for PrusaSlicer 2.6?

2.6 is apparently in final bugfixes phase.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I just replaced the nozzle on my Prusa Mini+ with a 0.6 hardened steel nozzle. I redid the first layer calibration and I'm pretty happy with that. But I just did a long print that hosed up partway through. It _looks_ like a blob of more-burned filament was deposited on the model, then the nozzle dragged that and tore it off the bed. The model before which turned out pretty good also had some embedded darkened bits that didn't cause the print to fail. I'm using the 0.6 profile in Prusa slicer, default 215 temp, PLA. Newly opened roll of filament.

What can I look at to debug this? retraction settings? What's a good value to try?

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

deimos posted:

Steel nozzles generally need hotter temps by 5-10 degrees.

Yeah, but, wouldn't that increase oozing/blobbing? Maybe I'm completely misreading the situation. What sort of problems would low temperature cause?

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Here4DaGangBang posted:

You don’t have molten filament leaking out from the top of your hot end and dripping onto the print by any chance, do you?

If yes, your nozzle is not tight up against the end of the heat brake and filament is escaping.

I had just returned to look at it and yup, that was it. It's not surprising that I hosed up my first nozzle change, but it is surprising that there's no good way of telling that it wasn't correct when changing it. I followed prusa's instructions, including looking for a "small gap".

Now that there's leaked filament on everything, what do I need to do to fix it? Do I have to take the whole hot end apart? Is there any way to actually tell if I got it right, since visual inspection didn't work?

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

bird food bathtub posted:

On the topic of dry/not dry, a lot of it is going to be dependent on individual circumstances. Someone living outside Seattle where a day you can see the blue of the sky and aren't getting rained on is a gift to be treasured will probably need to dry more than someone living in the heights of Arizona where rain is that thing that happens a month or two out of the year and moisture is what you drink from a cup.

I'm that Seattle (Bellevue) guy, AND my printer is in my basement. My PLA is still pretty decent being left un-mitigated for a week or three. For longer term, I mostly keep them in giant ziplocks. I have dryers, but rarely run them.

I also haven't really done anything except PLA.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I happen to have a very old MakerGear M2 with a dual nozzle upgrade that never actually worked after the upgrade (I must have hosed up). I ALSO have a grab-bag of stuff I got from an estate sale where the guy was apparently trying to build a 3d printer, including a RAMPs based control board, stepper motors, motor drivers, power supplies, etc. What are the odds I could build something semi-useful out of this?

I'm currently enjoying my Prusa Mini+ which mostly just works, but it'd be neat to have a dual head printer around for novelty.

5TonsOfFlax fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Some Pinko Commie posted:

Oof, talk about expensive, assuming you didn't get them *way* after their initial popularity.

Yep, I overpaid and was in over my head. Probably the only reason I bothered taking it when I moved across the country. But now it seems like it might be a great basis for tinkering.