Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

I'm looking at getting a small printer for hobby use; I'll probably end up printing dumb D&D poo poo, board game inserts, and so on. Can resin printing folks speak to safety concerns with resin, specifically fumes? I don't really have an outside space to work with. Whatever printer I end up deciding on will live on a work table in my office, and while there is a window, it's not positioned well for ventilation. (It also was never opened by the previous tenants, and I'm not sure it even opens at this point.) Most of the resin printers I see have enclosures around them, which I imagine keep the liquid from getting out, but do they mitigate the fumes as well? Or am I better off settling for an FDM printer and waiting for the glorious day when I have a garage or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

Thanks all; I'd planned on getting a wash/cure box to go with a resin printer, and I have space for that, I just don't have a ventilated place to put all this. It's a shame too, I'd been pleasantly surprised to see that resin printers were much less costly than I'd expected. But I can make an FDM setup work, I just won't be printing tiny space demons or whatever for a while.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

I'm debating between a few different FDM units for my first printer, so I'll bounce my thoughts off you guys. I'm not looking to spend Prusa money yet.

• Artillery Genius Pro: $339 from the manufacturer, $369 from Amazon with Prime. Pros- Dual Z axis, big print area, easy to assemble, very quiet. Cons- Expensive, bed surface is locked down and apparently heats unevenly which is a problem for materials other than PLA?

• Sovol SV01: $250 from the manufacturer or Amazon. Pros- Dual Z axis, good extruder. Cons- The plate's a weird size, it will need some mods, and it apparently is quite loud.

• Elegoo Neptune 2D or 2S: ~$239 from the manufacturer or Amazon. Pros- An Ender3v2 clone, so nearly all the poo poo that works on an Ender 3 should work here. Dual extruder is an option. Cons: Single Z axis. Apparently the extruder likes to destroy itself? Will need mods and maintenance like most Ender 3-alikes.

Of these, I'm leaning toward the either the Genius Pro or the Neptune 2S. I'm not sure a dual extruder on a budget model would be worth the trouble (which eliminates the 2D), and I'm wondering if I'd end up spending more on mods/parts to get the Neptune to the same place as the Genius Pro. I also like that the Genius is apparently very quiet; this printer will be living in my home office, so being able to print during the day when I'm working would be very helpful. I'm not looking to do anything other than PLA for a while, so the bed heating poorly might be less of a concern.

Anyone have any personal experience with these, or opinions about them?

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Just get an Ender. If this will be your first printer, and you don't want to spend Prusa money, you should get the machine that has the biggest support community for when things go wrong.

I see some folks on Reddit and in other places note that the Ender 3 is basically out of date now, and that Creality's quality control is poor at best. Assuming I can get the Neptune 2S (apparently a clone with better QC and parts) for about the same as an Ender 3v2 or 3 Pro, shouldn't I go with that? Or are the issues with the Ender 3 exaggerated?

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

MJP posted:

Any thoughts about the Artillery Sidewinder X2? Mine had an issue with the BLtouch probe out of the box, I ended up just returning the unit in favor of a Tronxy X5SA (do not do this). The X2 supposedly does a lot of things very well for what it is. I think the bed's removable/unclippable.

I thought about it, but ended up excluding it because of price and because I didn't think I'd need one so big to start.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

I came across this massive post on the 3d Printing Reddit (I know, Reddit), and if nothing else it'll introduce you to the various options out there.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

Ended up buying an Elegoo Neptune 2S; decided I wanted something a little nicer than the Ender 3 and the price was right on Amazon. Assembly was not too difficult. It came mostly together, I had to assemble the gantry and supports. I picked up a BLTouch too, but I'm going to wait on installing it for a little bit.

After two attempts where I assume I leveled the bed poorly and the print came unstuck from the bed two layers in, I did it:

I think that looks pretty OK for out of the box, stock, on the lovely free filament. This thing is quiet, aside from the cooling fans, it's hardly making noise at all.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

I'm moving on to more functional prints, and I'm noticing this weird sort of rippling effect on the top layers of flat surfaces:

Here's one with a shot of the bottom of the thing:

You can see from that pair of shots that the tray is in full contact with the build plate and comes out flat, but on the other side, there's these weird waves and bumps. Google and Reddit seem to point toward either bed heating temp, or over-extrusion, any thoughts? I need to get this thing set up to calibrate my z-steps, I was going to wait until I got a Pi to run Octoprint but uh, lol at the very idea of finding a Pi right now.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

Rexxed posted:

Foosel mentioned in the past that the specific issue with the single core Pi models that include wireless (the Pi Zero W) is that the wireless stack uses a lot of CPU time (I think she said 50% in some instances) so it could choke performance. Since the Zero W 2 has multiple cores it should be better although I haven't tried it. Webcams can use some CPU time as well but with four cores it's likely not that big of a deal.

I originally used a single core Raspberry Pi 1 model B and B+ for my OctoPi servers which although single core, lacked the wifi stack issue. Foosel didn't recommend that either but they worked reliably but were just slow. I moved to Pi 3 B and 3 B+ as they became available because comparing the two, the Pi 1 would take a noticeable amount longer just to upload and start/stop prints as well as do manual control stuff. Since I have three printers and three octopi devices it's been nice having them all using approximately the same hardware, although I have different webcams (one's a C270, one's a Pi cam on onboard connector, one's a generic $10 garbage camera). I've been debating getting some touch screens for them so I can try the TouchUI, but so far I've just set up an old laptop by the printers so I can just get to the interface of any of them with one device instead of buying three screens.

From a ways back, but I use a Zero W 2 as my Octoprint box and it works flawlessly. Didn't even need to reimage it moving from a Pi 400.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

Anyone have strong thoughts on a filament dryer box and/or an enclosure for printing ABS? I don't really have a good way to vent it, so I'll probably stick a little purifier in there like the ones Elegoo sells to suck up the fumes.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

mewse posted:

Follow up: I've installed one of these fake CHT nozzles and I got PTFE coated on a whim, it is shedding PETG build-up like it's allergic

I have been having so much buildup on my nozzle with PETG, I may have to try this.

Printing PETG was a goddamn mistake, ever since I decided to try it with my Neptune 2S, I've had no end of issues because I don't think I prepared correctly to move from PLA to PETG. I had oozing from my hotend and had several bad clogs, and I suspect the reason for that is that I never tightened everything down at the higher temps I was using for PETG on my all-metal hotend and steel nozzle. The latest problem is that I've had to disassemble my hotend so many times I guess I snapped the wire to the heating element, so now it's totally broke. Oh well, it gives me an excuse to rewire poo poo so from now on, I won't have to unravel everything to replace something; I'm installing plug-in wires for all my fans and hotend poo poo, so next time I need to swap a fan or thermistor I don't have to rewire everything.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

Latest in the Saga of My Goddamn Elegoo, looks like when my heating element failed (drat thing snapped the wires clean off as soon as I tried to put the fan shroud back on) it shorted out the board. Support agreed and they're sending me a new controller board, which considering I'm 3 months past warranty, is fuckin' amazing and I'm an Elegoo fan for life now. But I'm wondering if anyone can confirm for me something. Here's the board:

Is that red light next to the MOSFETs for the heaters a diagnostic for them? Like, is that an 'I'm sending power' light or an 'I'm hosed' light?

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

I was three months out of warranty on my Neptune 2S with a blown MOSFET and they still sent me a new mainboard for it, all I had to pay was $5 postage due. Their customer service is very good, and now I almost wish it hadn't worked so I could buy a Neptune 4.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

BlackIronHeart posted:

I will shout that Elegoo has some fantastic customer service and support. I noticed a small crack in my extruder casing and sent a pic to Elegoo support asking if it was under warranty. They asked for my address and sent me an entire new print head in under two weeks at no cost.

I was six months out of warranty and they still sent me a brand new controller board when I blew the MOSFET for the hotend on mine. Their customer service is tops.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

I've seen a lot of negativity toward Bambu the company; is it all related to their weird patent controversy from a while back, or is there something else? Google is fuckin' SEO'd to hell and gone so I'm not coming up with anything.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

I'm having trouble figuring out how to describe this to google, so I'm posting. What is this?

I'm thinking either I have some kind of extrusion issue, or my Z offset is hosed? I've tried cleaning and re-leveling the plate (textured PEI), I've tried increasing the temperature. I even tried running it in a different slicer just to see if I'd hosed up something in my PrusaSlicer profile. This only shows up in prints with big flat surfaces; I ran a Benchy that looked just fine today.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

I'm going to try backing off the Z offset a tiny bit at a time first; I doubt wet filament for a couple reasons;

-Nothing bad is happening on small prints, just big flat ones.

-I live in Arizona, where humidity is a myth. Seriously, we're half a step off of stillsuits and sandworms out here.

If I still get it after another go, I'll break out a fresh still-sealed spool to try. We'll see what that does. Thanks for the helpful words.

EDIT: Broke out a spool that's sat sealed with a desiccant bag inside, same thing.

Jedi425 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 5, 2023

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

Thanks to some luck and a decent tax refund I might be selling off my Neptune 2S and picking up a P1S/AMS combo. How well does the built-in filter and enclosure cut down on the fumes? I plan on having this in my home office, which has a room purifier in it as well. PLA and PETG have been fine, but it might be nice to play with something else like ASA once I get a printer I haven't had to frankenstein into working well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

kid sinister posted:

All this talk about upgrading 3D printers is interesting to a newbie like me. Someone please tell me, just how modular are 3D printers? Are they as modular as PCs?

I ended up printing and buying some upgrades to my Neptune 2s; an improved fan shroud, a better hotend assembly, a BLTOUCH for leveling. A basic understanding of electronics and a willingness to compile your own firmware code will take you far with an Ender 3-alike. But I got to the point where there's nothing else I can improve easily, and I want that sweet AMS, so I have a P1S on the way.

I will say Elegoo was a treat to work with when I needed to; they shipped me a whole new dang mainboard after I lost a MOSFET on the original, even though I was months out of warranty.