Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

so, uh, anyone know how to get out a prusa mk3s brass nozzle that sheared off inside the heatblock while being replaced despite being torqued to prusa's specifications?

asking for a friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

And just to be sure, you are heating the nozzle up before trying to take it out, right? Because I don't see how you could have sheared the brass apart unless you tried to unscrew it cold, and you will have an absolute gently caress of a time getting what's left of it out if you try to do it again.

The brand new one sheared while I was putting it back on. Despite using a properly set torque wrench. Maybe my torque wrench is broken.

And yes, it was at 285.

I'm just gonna replace the heatblock, and potentially break.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 20, 2021

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

That's wacky. I'd double-check your torque wrench, definitely. And make sure you're not, say, accidentally using foot-pounds when you should be using inch-pounds. It's possible that you just had a freak bad nozzle but I've never seen that happen before.

Personally I don't use a torque wrench; I just go until it stops turning, then do another 1/8 turn after that and it's good.

Their doc says 2.5 Nm, so I set my wrench to 22 inch pounds:

but i'll just use your method on the replacement.

Garage edit: never buy a harbor freight torque wrench.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 20, 2021

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

it's fine. i'll get it fixed thursday and have learned a valuable lesson. and maybe try an extractor to save the old heatblock/break.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

welp, they laughed at the screw extractor, so i'm down until my new block and break arrive.

let this be a lesson about properly calibrating and checking precision tools.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Ugh, I replaced the hotend on my prusa mk3, redid first layer calibration to look beautiful, and have a spotless and freshly washed build plate, and the front corners of my calibration cat are lifting.

I'm starting to think this is a roll of dodgy PLA, despite being jessie transitional. Any thoughts?

he's being printed at default size, at 215/60 degrees. i'm trying with a roll of black hatchbox right now to see if it fares any better.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Did you redo your hotend PIDs? (That is a thing on Prusa's, right?)

I did, recalibrated at 215.

It also has a Temperature Calibration feature for the pinda sensor, but the one time i calibrated it and turned it on, i made air spaghetti, so i don't use it.

The hatchbox test has only printed his little feet so far, but they appear to be sticking. I may have just gotten a dodgy roll of jessie transitional. More on this as it develops.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

It's also harder to see potential warping on black filament, so i'll have to wait for him to finish to really compare the two.

Edit: hmm, he doesn't seem to be any better. I think I'm gonna send this printer through a full refresh to eliminate any possible gremlins from firmware, calibrations, etc.

https://help.prusa3d.com/en/article/full-system-refresh-original-prusa-i3_133258

i dont have a photo, but the angle of warp is about the same from the jessie to the hatchbox, so i think something about my settings might be off.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 26, 2021

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Well, I don't know if it was firmware cruft or just doing a full recalibrate, but cat appears to be sticking properly now.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Randalor posted:

What's a good, easy to use, free program for 3D modelling? Or at least low-cost if free isn't an option?

sketchup?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

so i'm now trying to see if printed solid will exchange this roll of transition PLA for me

blue: jessie transition PLA, 215/60
black: hatchbox black, 215/60

identical gcode, similarly stored filaments. I think i just got a dodgy roll and it's been causing issues.

at their suggestion i went up to 220 and it looks identical.

someone else here said the quality of their transitional PLA had dropped off, too? If I have to go back to hatchbox, i will, but i will grumble about the price.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 27, 2021

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i printed like this

i printed like that

i printed myself a wiffle ball bat

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Printed Solid's CS team has been stonewalling me on trying to exchange this roll of PLA I think is bad.

"Try at 235. Lower your nozzle"

dude, i've got a perfect print with other brands. just replace it.

i can no longer recommend them as a vendor.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

The roll is basically brand new and it's been lifting on prints since I opened it.

I know of two other goons that are now having issues with their Jessie pla and I suspect something has changed or they sent out a bad run

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

insta posted:

It doesn't matter how new the filament is or what desiccant it was packed with. That's all theater and should not be relied on for stuff that must print dry. Do it yourself.

That said, i don't see the problem with that filament. Unless I was missing something, the print looks fine?

The front feet keep lifting off the bed.

Rad-daddio posted:

It's probably just a bad roll.

i'm not even irritated about the roll, I'm irritated about printed Solid's piss poor customer service.

basically i just have to dehumanize myself and face to using a brim with my remaining PLA from them, though I guess I'll try drying it out.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 29, 2021

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Ghostnuke posted:

goddamnit I literally just ordered 3 rolls from them yesterday

they'll probably be fine. i probably just got a one-off or i'm doing something stupid.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Randalor posted:

I know this is a dumb question, but if it's just the front feet each time, and it's always happening in the same spot on the printbed, have you tried printing it elsewhere on the bed and seeing if it still happens? If it's a heated bed, maybe the front feet are just in a cooler/cold spot.

I've said most of this already but:

- It doesn't happen with hatchbox PLA.
- The bed has been cleaned repeatedly with dish soap
- It's dead center in the bed, so I don't see how it could be a cooler spot.
- It only happens with this roll of plastic.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Asking Printed Solid or any other vendor to "make right" bad prints from any filament just isn't where the hobby is yet.

Especially if they aren't the manufacturer of the filament.

Might as well buy Polaroid filament if you want that kind of filament support.

https://www.polaroid3d.com/filament/

Printed Solid specifically manufactures Jessie pla in America and prides themselves on that fact.

Also lol that you think I should just accept getting a bad product straight out of the box because it's a hobby.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

As for bad product out of the box, LOL if you think any filament manufacturer is perfect 100% of the time. You will encounter random bad spools.

and i expect the manufacturer to fuckin fix it when i do, why is this hard?

you send me a bad product, you replace it. "it's a hobby" doesn't absolve them of selling garbage in exchange for money, and i will be buying from someone else in the future.

anyway i left it in a heated drybox for 6 hours, we'll see if that helps any

Deviant fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 31, 2021

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

It looks like the sunlu filadryer s1 took about 2g or about 2mL of water off the roll in 6 hours. I have to assume that's liquid volume, so we'll see if it prints any better.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

what do yall print to use up the last bits of rolls?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

after drying that offending roll of Jessie PLA at 50C for 6 hours, i was able to make this:

So I guess the SunLu Filadryer S1 is A+ would recommend.

Also Printed Solid finally offered a refund or a replacement, which I told them not to worry about.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I keep all my non-in-use rolls in gallon bags with dessicant, which has been fine.

This roll was definitely moist directly from the mfgr, though.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I am at my wit's loving end with this printer.

This roll came out of its bag within 5 minutes of this print.

i have tried a higher nozzle. i have tried a lower nozzle. i have run first layer calibration more times than i care to think about.

i have washed it.

the filament is in a heated drybox.

i am using default prusaslicer settings.

i do not understand the loving problem. the layers stick fine. it is JUST the support material that does this poo poo.

i'm starting to think that i, or the printer have a screw loose. possibly both.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 3, 2021

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Put some purple glue stick on the bed.

i am unclear on why i should have to do that on a prusa PEI bed. My understanding is that the PEI is supposed to make that unnecessary. In addition to the fact that it's going to make a huge mess.

Edit: it's PLA.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 3, 2021

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

glue stuff

same goddamn results with glue, and now i got that to clean off the loving bed.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

How long have you been using it? Did you try turning it over?

Yes, I've gotten consistently inconsistent results on both sides.

Sockser posted:

Print this and adjust z until you’re within like 0.01 tolerance

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/25261-first-layer-calibration-test

i'll try it. it's gotta be better than prusa's built in method.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Deviant posted:

Yes, I've gotten consistently inconsistent results on both sides.

i'll try it. it's gotta be better than prusa's built in method.

Okay, so my calipers only go to .1 increments, but I printed that and got
0.2, 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, and 0.9mm thick. ie -.1 the whole way across except layer 1, meaning i'm a tad too close?

averaging that out we get -0.08. My sheet profile is currently at -0.850, so i'd want to tweak to what, -.780ish?

am i parsing this right mentally?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Sockser posted:

That’s right, yeah
And then repeat

So here's my concern with that.

I adjusted my Live Z from -.85 down to -.78. the reprint came out more accurately, at .2, .4, .6, .7, and .9, giving me an average of -0.04

However, even the -.78 version looks like it may have been a bit too far off the bed?

this first layer isn't very well 'squished together', to use prusa's words, and the individual strands seperate fairly easily.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Incidentally, I notice you aren't having any adhesion problems with these layer test files and the same black filament.

I was only having adhesion issues with supports when i started this mess. If i let it run long enough to try and lay down 'real' bits, they stuck just fine.

but that still doesn't address the fact that this methodology seems to be making me back my nozzle out too far?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Well, a few tweaks later, and pulling my nozzle way further back than I thought, I have beautiful bottom layers and supports.

Ended up at .775, which is way higher than i expected.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Heyy nice. It's what I said in my first post. Having the nozzle too close can physically peel the traces off the bed. though I did tell you not to read that part so my bad

Those support traces look just about perfect, so keep that picture around and refer to it in the future.

i place the blame squarely on prusa's live z calibration feature. it tells you to look for squished lines, which had me going far too close (closer to 0.850)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

So, the results are as follows on my stuff:

- leveling my live z helped with supports
- the transition PLA from printed solid is still definitely a little dodgy
- they're sending me a new roll to try out, apparently they say they have made changes to their manufacturing process and would like me to review/report back.
- i ordered a new steel sheet from prusa just in case my PEI is on its way out, if not i'll have it.

But i'm still using hatchbox et al for anything critical in the meantime

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 4, 2021

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

instagram won't stop advertising this contour gage to me

https://www.amazon.com/Saker-Adjustable-Precisely-Duplicator-Woodworking/dp/B083FBRJPM

so idk maybe try that

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

yeah, we're deep into XY problem territory here.

What are you trying to do?

Edit: https://xyproblem.info/

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i just bought these and they seem fine

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000GSLKIW

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

So I definitely got something new from Printed Solid they aren't offering yet and have asked for my feedback.

It's labeled "Jessie 2.0", and I'm going to give it a try after i burn out what's left of my old stuff, I found settings that play finally, if only barely.

Any suggestions for test/calibration/etc prints? After a temperature tower to see where it likes to live.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Dr Sun Try posted:

this one is nice for testing out new filaments, especially the overhang and bridging test.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2806295

there was a micro version by the same creator, which didnt waste as much space for labeling, but it seems to be gone

I have this, I actually have the micro as well saved locally. No idea where it went.

I forgot all the gently caress about benchy though, lol. Blocked it out of my brain after my last printer wouldnt play~

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

There is this remix of it, but it's not by the same author. Are you sure this isn't what you're thinking of?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2972495

No, I know the one he means. It's linked from the mini page, but the link 404s.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2975429

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Javid posted:

For just PLA, hairspray on the glass is 11/10. I was extremely resistant to dealing with the extra consumable and spraying/cleaning logistics, but it absolutely solved all my problems.

which hairspray? i use got2b for cosplay already but that feels like overkill