Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Thread seems to like prusa, is there a consensus on the ender 3 S1 pro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Sounds like a plan then. Thanks y'all

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

mattfl posted:

So my Voron has been up and running for about a week now. I'm getting consistently awesome ABS prints and I'm finding it easier to print with then PLA lol

I really need to move on from printing upgrades/misc parts for it though and onto bigger things but it's so much fun now that I finally have something other than grey ABS to print with, got an order for Fusion and Atomic ABS in yesterday.

I freaking love this thing.
That looks interesting. Full details?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

mattfl posted:

Are you ready for a rabbit hole?

Because once you look into this thing you’ll be gone for weeks.

So basically, it’s a fully enclosed high speed ABS printing machine lol

So start here

https://vorondesign.com/

Now, you can either self source all the parts yourself or buy a kit from the 3 or 4 companies that make them. Mine happens to be a Formbot kit, but LDO is another popular one, or you can press your luck with a random AliExpress kit.

There is a large large discord community that you need to be a part of if you want to get out of this rabbit hole. There’s a few Facebook groups too, as well as a small Reddit community, but really the discord community is where you’re gonna get all the answers you’re going to have, and there’s going to be questions lol I think there’s even a few discord mods on here as well.

Total build time to print time was approx 40ish hours for me and I’m hearing that’s a fairly common build time. To me it was fun, I had the whole week offa work and I basically worked on it everyday and loved it. There are seemingly endless mods for it and all kinda cool things for it.

I would not recommend this to anyone who has t already built or hasn’t worked on 3D printers before, def not a babies first 3D printer.

I bought it because I was tired of chopping up parts on my Prusa and because I like to build things.
I don't have one yet, so not ready for it at this point. Maybe later on.
Whats the difference between the hot ends?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

mattfl posted:

Did my first 2 color print yesterday.

https://imgur.com/gallery/3xdk0ZC
Dual filament voron? Is that even a thing? Large volume, enclosed, all metal hot end, dual filament, high print quality is the end goal for a second printer for me. Voron checks 4 of those boxes. S1 pro is probably the first printer to start with and print parts for the second.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Dr. Despair posted:

That sort of print can be done with a simple filament swap. Most vorons that do automatic filament swaps are using an Enraged Rabbit Carrot Feeder to do mmu stuff, so if you want to know what to look for.
I have no idea what you just said.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

mattfl posted:

Nah just a pause command put in the gcode to allow for a filament swap and then a resume. Worked perfectly though.

The ERCF is kinda like Prusa’s MMU2S system if I thinking correctly.
Enraged rabbit carrot feeder. Lol, who the hell named that?

Anyway, a quick YouTube video says that looks awesome.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Any suggested places to get an ender 3 s1 pro that doesn't involve a 6 week lead time or $80 shipping charge?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Acid Reflux posted:

Where are you located? Unless I'm missing something obvious on this page (which is entirely possible), it looks like Amazon US has at least a few in stock for immediate shipping:

https://www.amazon.com/Creality-Ender-S1-3D-220x220x270/dp/B09T5VNNTQ

Little bit of a Prime Tax on that one, of course, but there's also the convenience factor if you happen to need to ship it back to them for any reason.

It also looks like the "Creality 3D Official" site, which may or may not actually be official but is still perfectly legit, has some available with free shipping:

https://creality3dofficial.com/products/ender-3-s1-direct-drive-3d-printer

Can't really find any info for vendors outside the US though, everything wants to default to shipping here.
US. Those are S1, not S1 pro. :)

RabbitWizard posted:

I moved my printer and now I can use it while NOT being hunched over because it isn't directly under the sloping roof. Also won't burn the house down any more if something happens, or at least not instantly. I'm not afraid any more to let it run through the night which finally allowed me to print a bigger slug. Like, 6 months after it was popular here?

[tig]https://i.imgur.com/zRezOYK.jpg[/timg]

Also this one is very awesome and I can highly recommend it: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2738211

[tig]https://i.imgur.com/XxMMa4n.jpg[/timg]
Totally printing one of these early on.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 25, 2022

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ratmtattat posted:

Thanks to the help here I've been off to the races printing tons of poo poo and going whole hog on the hobby. Just finished up a Rainbow Crystal Dragon this morning for my son that is just so damned cool looking.

stl link? Howd you do the color change?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Finally got around to ordering an S1 pro. And some filament. Let's hope it arrives soon. I've got some small prints I want to make in time for my wife's birthday. (Namely a bouquet, she likes flowers but doesn't like that they wither)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

The S1 Pro is ordered is supposed to be here sometime between june and july.
Yet Ive got 9 rolls of filament ordered in various colors.... Yikes.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Lots of good reports on the esun pla+. I have like 9 rolls of it and my printer has yet to ship. So I may be biased.

Creality3Dofficial has the S1 on sale at $350 and I really really am tempted to jump on it, the S1 pro as low as $470, but not in stock yet (in stock in Asia, but then it's $80 to ship it). The biggest difference is the all metal hot end. I don't really know how much I'll be printing in ABS or nylon to need it, but I don't really want to give it up. Waited this long, I guess.

e: nm. My pro apparently shipped before I could make a decision. Ill live with the pro. Such a hardship...

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 23, 2022

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

e: nm

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 23, 2022

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

My S1 arrived today, set up was very easy. But I haven't actually gotten it to print anything yet. How long should it take between pressing print and it actually starting to print?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

(S1 pro) Its alive!

I think what happened is I tried to put the SD card in upside down (label up), and may have damaged some of the pins. With enough attempts I got it flashed to the newest creality firmware, and did the screen update too (which uses a separate slot in the screen itself, and a microSD instead of a full SD). Then with enough additional attempts I got the klipper firmware installed. Now I don't need that damned SD card slot. I'll probably still do an exchange, but I can print in the meantime. Got it running a simple test print right now, and filament is coming out and everything. Need to adjust the bed a little before the next print, its not as smooth as it could be. The screen is useless with klipper, so I'll pull that off too.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Speaking of which. Benchy is on the way. Would this be considered a lot or a little bit of stringing? I don't see any on the aft area of the benchy, just the nose.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Hot air rework station?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Interesting. Hadn't heard of that before.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I printed a flexi/articulated shark last night and it came out perfectly. Popped off the build plate like it was nothing and flexed right away. I'm really liking this S1P. Aside from the SD card thing, which is now irrelevant anyway.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

My cricut has been sitting in the garage unused for years. I need to fire it up again, got some things to make with it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Speaking of the cricut stuff above, is there anything like octoprint or klipper for the cricut machines? I kind've want to dedicate a minipc to it to keep that crap off of my main laptop/desktop. I guess I can just throw a minipc in the garage and rdp to it if that's the "best" option.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Captain Kosmos posted:

Mostly I want to decide myself how big the printer itself is. Thinking 30*30*30cm so it fits snugly into one of those Ikea shelves. Run into Voron almost imminently after writing that, but couldn't figure out can you build them custom-sized or what. At work, so don't really have time really go into it.
Know that most printers are kits or have some degree of assembly. Mine (Tina2) is one of those ready out-of-the-box ones. Reason for getting it was that it fitted one of those Ikea cabinets, also price.
Vorons can be whatever size you want, within the limits of the design. There's a parts list maker that takes your size into account and spits out a list of everything you need.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

Anyone have opinions on the new ender 3 s1? Looking to start fleshing out the number of filament printers I have and It checks off a lot of boxes.

I have an ender3 and a Prusa mk3s, like then both, but honestly for what I'm looking at (printing lots of stuff for side gig), I'd rather spend the money on 2-3 printers over another prusa

Obviously a big voron 2.4 is an end goal, but we're talking 2.5k CAD vs 500 for a stepping stone in the meantime...
I have an S1Pro. And aside from my own dubassery (mostly killed the SD slot trying to stick a card in upside down) I installed klipper and quite like it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

How does one get into selling prints?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

My S1P has been printing nothing but spaghetti for 3 days with this eSun PLA silk, and its really starting to bug me. Time to start trying different settings, as I had a perfect one before doing a computer wipe. :(
e: +10c extruder and +5c print bed seems to be going much smoother.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 7, 2022

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

queeb posted:

i got sick my my old used ender 3 needing an amazon purchase whenever i go to fix something, beacuse a part doesnt fit or something, so yeah.

was a fun couple hours to assemble!

edit: jesus watching this thing work next to my ender 3 is like night and day, holy poo poo its fast and smooth, ripping through a benchy right now.
That's a Prusa mini, right?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

SubNat posted:

By the way, I've been skimming the thread while on vacation and I'm kind of curious about Octoprint v Klipper.

My understanding is that the primary bonus/benefit from using Octoprint is being able to remotely manage the printer, in addition to setting up a camera + timelapse if you want to, but it doesn't actually do anything with print quality/speed, correct?
Or are there some benefits to the extra processing power that people just don't talk about that much?

While Klipper is meant to be used if you want to push the printer a bit with higher speeds with all the fancy features it has, right? With more precise stepper control, input shaping and stuff like that.

Basically the typical balance between 'printing is the focus vs tinkering is the focus' of 3d printing as a hobby? (A shame I can't run that off an old phone as well, like with Octoprint though.)
My understanding is that octoprint works-with/uses the factory firmware, just telling it what to do.

Klipper basically runs the printer directly.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

If your printer did not come with Klipper, it is a significant project to convert it.
Aka a raspberry pi and a simple firmware flash. Took me 20 minutes and a spare pi I had lying around.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

biracial bear for uncut posted:

If that's true then there was a huge jump in Klipper documentation quality/detail within the last 30 days because loving LOL if the actual process is as simple as you say it is here.
I found a guide with links to everything needed for my E3S1P. It was super easy, aside from the firmware flash, and that issue had nothing to do with klipper.

I'm not saying it was super easy for a random person, just that it was for me. I wasn't able to print anything before I set up klipper.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

big scary monsters posted:

I think there is some tension between two types of 3D printer users ITT. Some like messing around with their printer, tuning and rebuilding and adding custom parts and enjoy that as a hobby in itself. Others just want to be able to make some things out of plastic. Lots of people posting here are the first kind and that's cool, they're interesting machines and I entirely understand why people would find that fun.

But for me the actual fun is in designing and using the plastic bits, and I just want my printer to turn 3D models into physical parts with as little hassle as possible. Since building my Mini+ in March I've probably spent 4 hours in total doing maintenance/tuning stuff. There is more stringing with PETG than I'd like, like I posted about previously, but fixing it seems like too much of a pain in the arse when I mostly print PLA anyway. Otherwise everything works fine and I'm not at all motivated to mess around trying to squeeze extra performance out of the thing, even though I am confident I could do so.

So if you're interested in the nitty gritty of printer firmware and different boards and hot ends and whatever it's no big deal to take the thing entirely to bits or spend an afternoon figuring out config files. But if you just want to see how your incredible design for an overly complex door hinge works in reality and don't care how you get to it that's all sort of tedious.
Totally agree with this. Its why I bought the S1P and not an Ender 3 v2.

Both styles are 100% valid, but knowing which is which and which you embrace should drive your decision-making process, not goon-pressure.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Mikey Purp posted:

I just ordered an Ender 3 S1 Plus and am kind of having buyer's remorse. I've heard a lot about QA issues and even if I win the QA lottery and it's a great printer out of the box, I i feel like the price point may be a bit much ($550) for what it is.

I'm now looking into coredy printers, since my main reqs for this machine are a bigger print bed, auto leveling, and faster print speeds. I only print pla today but would like to easily do petg and tpu, so direct drive would be nice.

Does anyone have any experience with the TronXY X5SA corexy printer? That looks like it fits all my needs and is $200 cheaper than the ender.
I have an S1 pro, and if I upgrade it wont be to anything less than a voron 2.4. Good choice.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Deviant posted:

this close to canceling my preorder of a prusa XL for a voron 300/350

it's just a matter of hopping on my unicorn and going to get a raspberry pi to run it
Do it.

I have an ender 3 S1 and am getting it all enclosed to start doing ABS... For some sort of voron. Having a hard time picking which. Trident 300 maybe?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Deviant posted:

Why not a 2.4? and i suppose 350 probably is overkill, maybe i'll do a 2.4 300mm
The usual answer I've heard to that question is that the Trident is significantly easier to assemble. Fewer belts and motors to tune and maintain. Send like it should be cheaper if so, but the kits I've seen are pretty much the same cost either way.

I'm still warring with myself on that same question. 300mm Trident and then a 350mm 2.4? v0.2 and then a 2.4? Just build a Trident and keep the S1P as a backup? 300mm is *just* enough for the biggest thing I currently want to print.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 5, 2023

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

insta posted:

Currently building Tridents right now. I've built 2.4s in the past.

Never building another 2.4 again if I can avoid it. Trident forever. Trident is life.
That's a pretty solid endorsement.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

SubNat posted:

I'll have to get into the habit of making swatches myself I guess whenever I get a new roll of something.
I guess I should really just look more into painting stuff myself so that I don't need to think about colors for the most part.
Generally you'd make your own. There are a ton of models to do so and organize them.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Is TAP compatible with the Trident or no?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

NomNomNom posted:

What does the printed solid kit get you that a kit from say Formbot does not? It's a massive cost difference. I'm asking because I'm voron curious.

In other news I just finished tricking out my ender 3 with a biqu h2 extruder. Almost shot myself in the foot because the mount I had printed before starting the upgrade didn't quite fit. Was able to get it on the gantry with one m3 and a zip tie and slowly print the correct mount.

PETG has been a royal bitch to dial in

Very sensitive to minute changes in retraction, pressure advance, z hop, temperature. Anyone have a bulletproof cura profile for a direct drive 0.6 nozzle?
I think he means and ldo kit, printed solid is the retailer.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Just a general question. What would be a "fast" benchy print time, without requiring anything excessive or sacrificing quality? And what kind of hot end flow would that require?

Debating Rapido vs Evo Voron for an upcoming printer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ordered the PIF parts for a Voron Trident (LDO) 300 build. Going Rapido for the hot end, will be ordering the actual kit "soon".

Still deciding between building stock first, or doing mods to start. Stock is easier to troubleshoot any day 1 issues, but I know I want to do TAP, CANbus, umbilical mods soon.