Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I was recently given an Elegoo Mars v1 resin printer.

I understand that I need to ventilate the space (doing it outside under cover) and wear a respirator and gloves and a face shield when necessary.

I've cleaned it up and replaced the film on the resin tray. I've got chitubox installed and I've sliced up a few models with supports...

Should I start with something small and simple before trying to go all-in on a minifig of some sort? Is there a good reference document or ebook I can read for resin printing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I printed the stock "rook with stairs inside of it" stl file that came with my elegoo resin printer and the bottom is sloped. I presume that's because my build plate wasn't level?

Seems like you really have to reef on these set screws to get them to hold a position.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

bird food bathtub posted:

Have a pic? Hard to get a mental image of the failure from this description so not sure what to say. I would say hand-tightened at most, if you're using arm muscles you're going too far.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Ya know, this does explain the disconnected disc I found in the tray during a subsequent cleaning...

Today I try again.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

I had this once, resolved through lower lift speed and tightening up the build plate attachment

Yeah I sorted it out. I'm getting better at repeating my same steps each time and I ensured the plate was solidly mounted for my next attempt and it printed 100% correctly.

Now I've got my first test print using structural supports done:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

If I have some pre-made models from Thingiverse and I want to add circular pedestal bases to them (so that small children can use them more easily), what is the best method to do that? Is that something I can do as a simple addition before slicing it in the software (Voxeldance Tango), or do I need to add that kind of thing in another interface prior to using that application?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Ok so it's just a matter of importing a disc and slapping them together. I think I can do that.

Should I still do an angled print so that only the support structure is fused to the build plate or is it okay to go completely parallel and have the pedestal directly against the build plate?

Honestly I prefer doing it at an angle because it's way easier to pop it off the plate than when it's the entire model all attached fully, but I don't mind doing it if it results in a better print.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'm using it because it came with the printer w/ a license. :(

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Maybe a picture will help the more experienced folks understand what I tried to do and tell me what I did wrong.

When I tried to print this, it made the support structure for the disc but then when it went to print the disc, that part stuck entirely to the tray and then the rest of the model just didn't print. I had to scrape the pedestal disc off of the film (gouging it, doh) and I don't know what I did wrong.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Ok that's what I shall do. I dunno why I abandoned the tilt n support strategy I was using on the non-pedestal versions.

I'm gonna make a gigantic army of changeling paladins at this rate.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

fwiw, I'm running mine in a shed that sits at 60-67F with a small heater.

I don't like using the heater for safety reasons so I'm building an insulated prism for the printer to wear like a hat. Might also get a seed heating mat for it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Help I can't stop printing little dudes.

I want to print a replacement AR cartridge for my Saturn and have it match the blue buttons on the top of the unit.

Are there any reliable methods for color matching an existing piece of plastic? This is RE: liquid resin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Fair enough. Time to go down that rabbit hole I guess.