Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

hi I need to a 1 off part printed out of something water resistant like petg, still designing it but it's basically a 260mm diameter ring, about 20mm thick. Does anyone have a bed that size by chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I do. I'm in Canada, though, so it may be easier on shipping to find someone more local? There should be a few around here.

Dang okay, hopefully someone pops up! Thanks anyway

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Put the printer in an enclosure and add a simple exhaust out the window using an inline fan

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Enclosures can also be made cat proof, many are saying

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Hi, would anyone be willing to print this one piece? Like 20% infill out of some water resistant material, preferably black but any color will work really

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5168474/files

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

insta posted:

What do you mean by 'water resistant'? There's a very wide range of that in plastics. I can probably do this though :)

Waterproof would be ideal, it's going to be exposed to a bit of water on occasion and humidity, but not submerged. I don't know enough about filament to have a real preference.

It would be helpful if it can be sanded, but not a requirement. I'm going to end up using some of that "hammered" bronze spray paint on it which is pretty thick and should probably conceal the texture.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

insta posted:

They'll pretty much all handle "some water" with zero issue. A much bigger concern is exposure to constant sunlight. If they were underwater like an aquarium, some plastics might leech. If they're in a shower, you may want higher temp resistance, etc. Some plastics can be used in direct, prolonged contact with low-temperature steam. Some can handle boiling brake fluid. If it's a one-off part the size of a dinner-plate or smaller, you can probably get it printed for free (or drat near it) at the library in a good enough plastic.

I see. The use case is adapting this reef aquarium light to a larger jar, for reference:

https://www.reefsmart.com/

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

What's the easiest way to smooth out a petg print for spray painting? I really do not feel like sanding this thing flat, so some epoxy or filler primer I'm guessing?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Pretty much.

Maybe try your hand at careful passes with a heat gun until you get the result you want, but that can rapidly get out of hand if you soak too much heat in one spot.

I tried a heat gun on a scrap print and I.. don't trust myself lol. I saw a suggestion for this as well: 3M Acryl Putty, 05096, Green, 14.5 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BZOTQQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_EN54S6T7TTFN48HJMWJH

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Sanding is the only way to do it. Sure, you can spray it with high-build primer or something, but you'll still be sanding that. The coatings like XTC-3D kinda work, but as a thick epoxy clearcoat, they change the part's dimensions fairly dramatically. Maybe that matters, maybe not.

Heating the print's surface to melt it will not work. Too hard to control, too much diffusion.

If you want effective easy print smoothing, you need to print in ABS and use acetone vapor techniques.

From my quick testing, I think I'd greatly prefer sanding spot filler/primer to petg, it seems really.. hard. It's the outer face of my 10" ring, I'll see if I can find someone who can do that in abs as I do want to make a change.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Sockser posted:

Smoothing out FDM prints always sucks always forever always.

Two coats of filler primer, a light sand, another coat of filler primer. If that isn't smooth enough, you're not gonna get it smooth.

Yeah I ordered a can and some smooth wood filler based on some stuff I googled, gonna try both on a piece of scrap and see how it goes

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I found somebody who can print this 10-in ring and resin, in two parts. He'll split it, dowel and then assemble it before shipping. I figure even with a seam that it should be easier to paint and made to look nice in comparison to PETG, right?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Is there a ~$200 printer that isn't a sketchy fire risk and is worth buying?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Bondematt posted:

Yeah it is the Sovol SV-06 or Elegoo Neptune 3 Pro. They both go on sale for around $200 and are not playing Russian roulette for fire hazards.

Absolutely avoid the Ender 3 V2 now that the Ender 3 V3 SE is out. V3 comes with ferrules on its wires and I have not heard about the power supply dying due to the holes not lining up(or like the one goon above encountered, not having vent holes at all).

Edit: Looking at the options, I'd get the SV-06 since it comes stock with an all metal hotend, but that may or may not matter to you since it doesn't matter for PLA.

$195 and free shipping direct from Sovol. https://www.sovol3d.com/products/sovol-sv06-best-budget-3d-printer-for-beginner

Would you opt for the sv-06 over the Neptune? I had a prusa years ago and I just could never get the bed leveled to a satisfactory degree and just dipped out of 3d printing entirely, so I'd like to avoid that annoyance as much as possible. Basically I'll pick the one that's more likely to just work out of the box

I'll probably be printing mostly pla/petg fwiw

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 12, 2023

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Bondematt posted:

Mouse Ears is a brim setting in Prusaslicer that puts little circles on the outside of corners to increase surface contact. So you only need to clean up the corners, where prints tend to lift, rather than having to clean up a brim from the entire first layer.

PEI is what the bed surface is made of. Textured PEI is great as it works for a ton of filaments, but smooth/satin is much stickier for PLA. I believe the Sovols currently only come with textured PEI sheet.

They both have Automatic Bed Leveling. Was this a Prusa I3 MK1? I believe MK2 and after had ABL, which would be similar to both of these.

It was a 2016 mk2. I had ordered the diy kit from prusa directly, so it's possible I just did a poor job putting it together, but I was pretty confident that it was due to a warped bed. I opted for the refund rather than tinkering with it further. I was thinking that abl might have improved to the point of being a non issue on these more budget machines.

Would jumping up +$70-$100 get me something that's more likely to just work out of the box?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Bondematt posted:

The no nonsense, don't even have to set Z-height starter printer right now is the Bambu A1 at $300. I have the P1S and the printer itself has been fantastic.

Getting it with the AMS Lite brings that to $460 though.

Oh yeah the a1 looks nice. I don't have any interest in multi color printing so I'll give that some thought.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Bondematt posted:

For whatever it's worth my AMS mostly just sits there holding 2 spools of my main filament so I never run out. When I want to print multi-material or color, I absolutely need it, but it's rare.

Here's a good plate for both the SV-06 and Neptune 3 Pro, or really any printer with 235x235mm bed. https://a.co/d/cbnxsvP

You could notch it to fit the locating pins on the SV-06, or just leave it as is and let it overhang the front. The usable build are doesn't go back to the pins anyway.

That makes sense. I'm thinking I'm just gonna go for the mini since it seems, at least at a glance, the least fiddly out the box.

Edit: also found this which is slightly larger https://www.ankermake.com/products/m5c

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 12, 2023

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

DoLittle posted:

A bigger Bambu A1 will be announced on Dec 14th. May be worth the wait to see its pricing.

Oh yeah it looks good https://youtube.com/shorts/RW-0oVfsxDQ?si=75g01EjGJcpLGYN-

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Anyone use one of these things on their setup?

https://dockingdrawer.com/products/fire-guard-outlet?variant=40449767505963

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

A1 went live btw.

They don't recommend enclosing it but don't say why, is there any good reason not to do so?

https://store.bambulab.com/products/a1?skr=yes

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Glancing at their FAQ, I noticed they have a picture of the control board. It's only being cooled by a thermal pad and heatsink. That is possibly why. The X1C, P1S have a fan as part of the cooling solution there. Even the P1P to P1S upgrade kit includes one for that.

Makes sense. I ordered one anyway, decided to skip the ams for now.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Personally I just ordered the a1 without the ams over the p1p because of the price difference and not really having a need for materials outside of pla/petg, and it's currently available. I would like an enclosed printer if I'm being honest, but I don't feel terrible about settling for what's probably the best non fiddly bed slinger for $450 out the door.

That being said, I'm a dumb guy though.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Hypnolobster posted:

This is completely valid, imo. The objectively correct way to shop for bambu printers is to pick your price range and just hit the button. Add in an "If you need an enclosure, pick starting with the P1S" and it takes care of the whole lineup. It really doesn't have to be more complicated than that.

Yeah they absolutely nailed the pricing because if the base a1 were any more expensive I would have just opted for the mini.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

So I forgot to add a roll of filament to my a1 order and I don't feel like paying for shipping. Is the sunlu meta pla a good place to start for messing around?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

cruft posted:

Taking some basic precautions can make a tremendous difference in your risk of home fire. Do you have fire extinguishers in your house, and have you checked their expiration dates recently? Do your kids know the evacuation plan if there's a fire? Are you checking your smoke detector batteries and lifespan (they have to be replaced every 10 years)?

By "you", I mean you, the person reading this text right now.

Sorry for the derail but it seemed like an opportune moment for everybody to take 30 seconds and consider home fire safety.

I've been thinking a lot about this and I've come to the conclusion that the most affordable and relatively safe way to go about this would be an aluminum/metal enclosure (12u/15u server rack?), a blazecut fire extinguisher and one of these:

https://dockingdrawer.com/products/fire-guard-outlet?variant=40449767505963

Edit: if one were to go beyond the good precautions posted above

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 15, 2023

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Unboxed my a1, got it printing in 20 minutes, immediately printed a benchy with 0 tweaking and then started a 4 hour print at Sport speed. Amazing.

What are the differences and use cases for the nozzles that are available for it? I'm going to do a filament order and I think I'll add one to play with.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Is there a big difference between orca and Bambu slicer, or any noticeable pros/cons of using one over the other if I'm using a bambu printer?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

SubNat posted:

Orca is Bambu with more stuff bolted on, use that.

Copy that! I stumbled on that filament calibration guide using Orca, so I'll give that a try.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Hypnolobster posted:

Spent enough time playing with the new P1S that I got the fun stuff out of my system finally.

Put in the 0.6mm extruder that'll probably live in there forever and started using it to print my occasional Etsy order. My usual 66 gram print that took slightly less than 4 hours (in PETG on a Mk3S+) takes 1 hour in the P1S. It's fast enough that I can get an order at noon, print it, hop on my bike and drop it off at the post office in an hour and a half. That's ridiculous.

Did you keep the layer height the same? Any noticeable quality difference? I have one on the way for my a1 too.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

Thanks for the link! One of my friends gave me a roll of shiny multicolor blue/purple Silk PLA for my birthday. She's a huge cryptid nut, so I'm now printing one of these in the filament she gave me. It'll be a cool Christmas present.

I have terrible luck with Silk PLA and bed adhesion (regular PLA and most PLA+ sticks wonderfully) but I turned down the speed and acceleration quite a bit, and so far at least the head with an extra brim is staying put.

I only have the Bambu Textured PEI plate. Is the smooth one any better for bed adhesion on PLA/Silk PLA? Does anyone know of a good article that explains the pros and cons of each plate type?

Did you try cleaning that bambu plate with regular dawn dish soap?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Hmm so I opted for the full refund + $80 voucher for my recalled a1, it was my only printer. Am I crazy for thinking about downsizing to the mini? $250 out the door is a pretty sick price and realistically I don't print constantly, just when inspiration or a need strikes.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 26, 2024

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

BlackIronHeart posted:

Buy a printer that suits your needs and then buy more printers when it no longer suits your needs. That's what the rest of us do!

True. Plus I have an extra nozzle, like 6 rolls of filament and filament dryer just collecting dust. Ordered.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Of course bambu cut the price of the mini by $50 the day after I order. Contacted customer service and they gave me a $50 voucher so that's good though, I wanted to get the small nozzle anyway.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

For you guys who don't just let your rolls suck moisture from your moist carpet, do you prefer the cereal box or the multi roll box storage?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

filament is basically room dessicant if u think about it :2bong:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Hi guys, sorry to ask again but I am the kind of person who will research forever and never pull the trigger on something for myself though so I want to do it soon. I found someone selling a used Creality CR 10 SE for $250. I’ve also been looking at an Elegoo Neptune 4 Pro, which is new for about the same price on their website. The reviews for both seem good. I’m not looking to do anything crazy with them, just make fun little (and eventually bigger) models for myself, my sons and as prizes for my students.

Just in case you didn't see, the a1 mini is now $250 as well if that size works for you.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Hmm so I have a $50 voucher for bambu. Do I order 3 rolls of filament or the .2 nozzle, smooth pei sheet and a single roll of filament for my mini? I have a .6 nozzle already..

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Deviant posted:

what do you even do with a .2 nozzle that a resin printer isn't better for

Well, if you can get anywhere close to resin results then it's worth the $11 to not have to deal with a resin printer lol

El Fideo posted:

You can get filament that works in a bambu anywhere. Get the exclusive parts.

True!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Deviant posted:

i guess, i just don't have a use case for converting my x1c to .2, it's not like a quick release swap

Yeah this is specifically for the a1 mini, easy as to swap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Now that I have a printer again I'm thinking about trying a new cad program. Has anyone tried both plasticity and solid edge? If so, any preference?