Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Hello all. The section in the OP is a few years out of date, so I wanted to ask if someone could help me in choosing a PLA 3D printer. I have about $350 or so in my budget for one. I've never had a 3d printer before. Well, technically, I was given a resin one as a gift, but I never took it out of the box and will probably end up selling it.

As far as what I'm looking for, I guess I'd prefer if it was enclosed rather than not but that's not a hard and fast thing. Really, this is the main reason I want one:
https://www.toymakr3d.com/product/89-ironshell

I'm not sure if anything I can afford can make something like that, but that's where you guys come in I suppose! Help me out or talk me off the ledge, either or.

MinionOfCthulhu fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Nerobro posted:

I could print that out on, almost any modern printer. So.. could you.

For $350? Sovol SV06 or SV07. Both will have auto bed leveling, which makes things a bit easier.

So... we need to talk a bit about what 3d printing is. 3d printers are CNC machines. They do what they're told, and are generally only as good as the person operating them. For a project like that, you're going to need to make sure your parts are exactly to size, so... That means getting your extrusion multipler just right, getting your first layer squish right. And making sure the X, Y, and Z all are accurate.

You, CAN, do this. You will need to take care. And eventually you'll get it. Expect to blow a few days getting things ~right~. And google searches will almost universally lead you wrong. You want the Ellis tuning guide, and maybe the califlower.

I don’t know what some of these words mean but I am a quick learner! I read some reviews of the SV07 plus and I think I may pull the trigger.
I obviously don’t plan on printing that monstrosity first thing, but I do want to do it eventually.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Hi guys, sorry to ask again but I am the kind of person who will research forever and never pull the trigger on something for myself though so I want to do it soon. I found someone selling a used Creality CR 10 SE for $250. I’ve also been looking at an Elegoo Neptune 4 Pro, which is new for about the same price on their website. The reviews for both seem good. I’m not looking to do anything crazy with them, just make fun little (and eventually bigger) models for myself, my sons and as prizes for my students.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Oh no, now I’m looking at this one too. Multiple colors is really cool, but it seems a decent bit smaller. 180mm vs 225mm.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

armorer posted:

The version which includes the AMS Lite (for multi-color printing) is $400, although you could add it on later.

I would do that. So how much would I miss out on with a smaller printer? I’m not looking to make cosplay props or costume helmets or whatever.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Multi jointed models like this: https://i.etsystatic.com/37053839/r/il/51107a/5647614184/il_570xN.5647614184_ribg.jpg

Eventually big multi-piece models like this: https://cdn.toymakr3d.com/img/product/thumbnail/800_800/img-ironshell-1710693309.jpg

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I assume it would be trivial to just shrink the big thing by like 1% with the software, right?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Well that’s bad then!

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I finally decided on a printer and went with an Elegoo Neptune 4 pro. I haven’t set it up yet but I wanted to ask if it’s recommended I get an enclosure and if so which one? I almost want to get one even if it isn’t strictly necessary since I have a VERY inquisitive five year old…

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Hello all. I recently got a Neptune 4 Pro, I’ve watched a ton of videos which helped me build it, and I’m running into what I think are problems with the bed leveling. I haven’t printed anything yet but the screen that shows the level of my bed looks waaaay more off than the walkthroughs I’ve been watching and I assume that is bad. I’ve been fiddling with knobs and feeling the printer put pressure on a piece of paper but not TOO much pressure for the better part of two hours and I’m not sure what I’m missing.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I’ve had a number of successful prints in the week I’ve had my Neptune 4 Pro running but the other day I leave it running while I’m at work and was sent a picture of a mess of spaghetti. The nozzle head looks like this:

How bad is that, overall, like is this thing cleanable or busted and I need a new one? I didn’t have time to attempt a clean so I haven’t even tried but will tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

deimos posted:

Should be fine. If it's pla, heat the tip to 120ish and take off the nozzle, then you can either discard it or take it to a propane torch (outside). Then heat it to 120-140 (enough for the pla to flow more freely), and scrape or paper towel the actual head, being extremely careful not to burn yourself, then again at whatever temp you print at (new paper towel).

Not sure if possible, but take off the ducts and fans so you have more access.

E to add: needless to say: pull the filament once you get it to cold pull temps.

I have tons of nozzles, so I'd just as soon chuck it just to make things easier. I'm really hoping that's all it takes, I wanna get back to printing asap. It's fun. :3:

I made a happy, articulated crab. :3: :3:

VVVV
likewise thank you for helping ME and my babby's first printer. I gotta get this working, my 5 year old calls it the 'toy making machine' and he's enjoyed the output thus far

MinionOfCthulhu fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 2, 2024