Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Cool Dad posted:

What is that thing?

Trimming tool, super handy if you have a hole of a certain diameter but your first layer or two are too fat

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33054221838.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Looks like some of those back segments detached from the build surface?

e: oh god, responding to the rainbow slug photos from last page

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mindless posted:

Anything I should try or be thinking about?

- The sample filament sucks
- You could be too far away from the bed if the print is detaching
- Prusa slicer's ender 3 v2 profile works great on my voxelab aquila (non-x2) with standard PLA profile (the temps in the profile Just Work)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Question for anyone who has done the Lack enclosure: people on the Ender 3 subreddit are ballparking 40 hours of printing for the parts, but I loaded one of the four risers (there's another set of four as well, plus plenty of other parts) and Cura told me 9 hours at 20% infill for just the one. Am I missing something? Since most of the pieces are structural I'm not keen on reducing infill much more than that.

Layer thickness (layer height?) affects print time drastically. Thicker layers -> less layers -> less print time. My prusa slicer is showing 0.20mm as "normal", 0.16mm as "optimal" and 0.12mm as "detail". 0.24 "DRAFT" is probably good enough for enclosure parts. Don't know what this setting is called in Cura.

mewse
May 2, 2006

sharkytm posted:

The part moved on the bed. That's the only way I can think of to get a big sideways shift on one side and none on the other.

It does look like the part detached and twisted on the bed since the layer shift isn't on one axis. Could try a brim for better adhesion

mewse
May 2, 2006

Toebone posted:

I’m getting the urge to fix something that’s not broken again, what cooling duct should I print for an Ender 3 with stock fans? Is it even worthwhile for printing PLA & PETG?

Satsana. Probably.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Roundboy posted:

Damage your offspring by showing them that they can print their own printer upgrades. Then show them tinkercad.

Wait. That is me that can't stop.

So the voron has been running a rpi zero 2 for a couple days of solid printing and tests, all PLA. Today I decided to start tuning for abs and I also happened to add a new thermistor because I had it and more info is awesome.

Now I keep getting klipper crashing/stopping with various errors. The pi temp never gets above 35c with a bed @100c above it. My USB webcam now starts to stutter and lag behind, eventually freezing. I just ended up removing it and the new thermostor

I also had the pi almost run out of space with 3fb free normally. Full reboot and it's back, but I occasionally get a problem. Fingers crossed my overnight goes fine. But research shows it's a mcu timing issue, but I am positive I have it set fine. Top shows the links not cpi bound at all.

I sometimes catch klipper or moonraker topped out on resources on the stst page, but Its only a brief moment. Logs aren't really showing anything. Where should I be looking?

Too much power draw on the pi maybe?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Roundboy posted:

Is there any thread lube or grease I can use on the nozzle threads and heatbreak threads that will facilitate easy on and off?

I tried to clean a major abs leak and ended up snapping a dragon hf heatbreak to the block. I have a new one coming, but I don't want to repeat the future

Sure, I can just avoid screwups in the future, but it's nice for threads not to get completely borked.

Silver anti-seize probably

mewse
May 2, 2006

So uhhh my mk2.5s clone has been running a PINDA v2 without temperature calibration this whole time

code:
Send: M861 ?
Recv: PINDA cal status: 0
Recv: index, temp, ustep, um
Recv: n/a, 35, 0, 0.00
Recv: 0, 40, -1, -2.50
Recv: 1, 45, -1, -2.50
Recv: 2, 50, -1, -2.50
Recv: 3, 55, -1, -2.50
Recv: 4, 60, -1, -2.50
Recv: ok

Send: M861 ?
Recv: PINDA cal status: 1
Recv: index, temp, ustep, um
Recv: n/a, 35, 0, 0.00
Recv: 0, 40, 26, 65.00
Recv: 1, 45, 50, 125.00
Recv: 2, 50, 80, 200.00
Recv: 3, 55, 97, 242.50
Recv: 4, 60, 138, 345.00
Recv: ok

mewse
May 2, 2006

I finally got my first CoreXY working (a hypercube that only took me about 5 years to build).

I used Tom's video to break out print/filament profiles in Prusa Slicer over to my generic printer, but now it basically prints like a prusa.

Are there any guides for tuning prusaslicer for speed (ie. corexy bowden setup)?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Light it on fire and if it smells like ABS it is ABS

mewse
May 2, 2006

Was surprisingly easy to make a custom LCD cover for my prusa mk3 clone I'm going to build (once aliexpress parts arrive)

mewse
May 2, 2006

PrusaSlicer won't act as a print host like pronterface does. The installer for prusaslicer has usually included pronterface, though.

Most people will set up octoprint / octopi to act as a print host instead of screwing around with SD cards full of gcode files. Prusaslicer has a button to send gcode to a plugged in SD card after slicing, or to send the gcode to an octoprint host after slicing (this is the "print host upload queue"). It won't act as a print host itself - a print host sits on the printer's usb/serial connection and drip feeds it the gcode file, this is what pronterface and octoprint do.

e: if you've used slic3r already you should be comfortable with prusaslicer, it's a fork

mewse fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 24, 2022

mewse
May 2, 2006

I was describing PrusaSlicer for porktree who has an ender 3 FWIW TIA HTH

mewse
May 2, 2006

porktree posted:

Thanks, I was going nuts looking for the setting to connect PrusaSlicer to the printer.

I like the Cura interface, I've found I can slice in Cura, and use Pronterface to print and not get the issue.

I think I'm going to spend the $60 and upgrade the board from Atmel, to the 32 bit board, seems like an 'easy' and beneficial thing.

I think it's unlikely your problem was being caused by the 8-bit board. There was a lot of testing by youtube guys before the 32-bit boards were commonplace and it was incredibly rare to exceed an 8-bit board's limits with a cartesian system (like your Ender), slightly more commonplace on a CoreXY or a delta.

So I think you were seeing some cursed code-path in cura that was wrecking your prints, but the 32-bit board might be a nice upgrade regardless because if you get one with integrated trinamic stepper drivers it should quiet down your printer significantly.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Long shot but can anyone identify these spool holders (seem like modified prusa "spool holdah") - photo is from prusament petg "chalky blue" page

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hell yeah thank you! Spent like 20 minutes browsing results for “spool holder” and it didn’t come up

mewse
May 2, 2006

Anyone have any insight on what the story is with LDO motors? When you google their parts it seems almost exclusively like 3rd string web shops that stock their stuff, they've got no official aliexpress vendor, it seems like prusa motors + LCD assemblies are made by LDO? Are they some traditional manufacturer that doesn't engage with 3D printing too much?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Any good printable duct upgrades for the Ender 3 v2 that use the stock parts? I’m having a hard time picking through all the variations on the model sites.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4623647

mewse
May 2, 2006

JayzTwoCents loving sucks

Here's his take on the BLM protests two years ago

https://twitter.com/JayzTwoCents/status/1267598953358356480

mewse
May 2, 2006

cruft posted:

Is there an HCH thread where I can ask for advice designing a physical part? Maybe woodworking?

I need to design a button for the bagpipe that triggers a proximity sensor, but I am absolute poo poo when it comes to physical design.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962532

mewse
May 2, 2006

Does anyone want to read my way too long story of building a prusa mk3s+ clone by ordering individual parts

mewse
May 2, 2006

Since one of you asked for it: I recently built a prusa mk3s+ clone, but instead of buying a kit, like a normal person, I bought all the parts separately because I wanted a specific color combination for the frame + printed parts.

It's taken me five years to finally build a mk3 after building a mk2 clone 6-7 years ago. This gave me the additional brain problem of wanting to use very high quality parts but avoiding official Prusa parts (because of cost I guess). Mentally I had categorized vendors from best quality to least: Prusa, Triangle Labs, Fysetc, Sealand/Blurolls. Prusa is Prusa, the other three are AliExpress vendors.

- The colored frame was from Sealand on aliexpress. I've used a mk2.5s kit from them before and their products are cheap but not great quality. The frame had an option to bundle an affordable set of smooth rods. They had an affordable fastener kit for mk3 (non-s, non-s+) that I picked up, it included a lot of useful hardware including rubber feet, the bed mounting hardware+spacers, etc. Two things really upset me - there didn't seem to be enough m3x10 screws included in the fastener kit (I got away with subbing in m3x12 a bunch of times during the build) - but much worse, one of the smooth rods for the Y-axis had deep scratches in it. I didn't notice them until assembly when they caught my fingernail or something and I saw the rod was ruined.

- Fysetc seem like they have their act together. I don't think any of their parts came in as unacceptable. Notably I ordered the motors, control board, and LCD from Fysetc and they all seemed comparable to the official Prusa parts. I steered clear of the heated bed from Fysetc because there was an aliexpress review claiming there were no traces on the bottom side of the heatbed, which wouldn't be great, so I spent the price premium to get a Triangle Labs bed. Fysetc have the new bed clips for the Y axis bearings that are mk3s+ spec. They have an affordable full kit that I think they are saying is mk3s+ spec, I think that kit would be a good base for a build with a few targeted swaps (heatbed).

- Triangle Labs, I've ordered from before but I think it was when Tom Sanladerer was building his voron kit that he said Triangle Labs are a reputable vendor with quality products. They have a mk3s kit that is more expensive than Fysetc but is probably what I would advise people get if they want a problem-free kit, unfortunately the price is approaching an official Prusa kit. Any of the parts I knew needed to be high quality I ordered from Triangle Labs - heat bed, clone bondtech gears, power supply (only like $10 more than fysetc), gates belts.. and they didn't have cheap lm8uu bearings so I ordered igus bearings from them.. which I'm not happy with now, might discuss later. Came out of this project very impressed with Triangle Labs again, especially the extruder gears, I want to put them in my other printers now.

- Prusa.. you can't build a mk3s+ without the superpinda, and you can't buy a clone of the superpinda. So I ordered a real superpinda from Prusa, but you can order the mk3 upgrade kit for $20 more than includes a ton of fasteners (notably all the fasteners I'd be missing with my full mk3 set from Sealand), a genuine filament sensor, the fan shroud printed in ASA, a 300g mini spool of black PETG to print the revised extruder parts(!!). I also ordered a satin sheet because I'd be paying for shipping anyway.

After building the machine it failed the self-test - "check axis length X". Moving the extruder left to right, I could feel the tension increasing at both ends of travel, which was apparently triggering the virtual endstops early. I still haven't 100% fixed this yet but I got it past the test once and printing, and after a lot of part swapping I'm basically going to rebuild the x-axis with new printed parts and linear bearings rather than igus bearings.

Speaking of igus bearings, I'm using the non-constrained bearings without the metal shell (RJ4JP01) and they're not great. They have play on the 8mm rods. The heated bed twists in place. I thought it would be ok because the bed has no play left-right (+x/-x), but the bed twists slightly every time the Y motor changes directions (hard to explain without making exaggerated hand gestures). I think I'm going to replace all the igus bearings with linear bearings, waiting for them to show up.

Highlights:
- SuperPINDA is amazing
- Official Prusa satin sheet is amazing
- Trianglelabs dual drive gears are amazing
- Trianglelabs heatbed + other parts are high quality
- Gates belts are *great*

Middling:
- Sensorless homing is interesting but doesn't seem to offer an advantage over endstops
- The trinamic silent drivers are nice but seem louder on the prusa frame than my hypercube corexy
- Colored frame and fastener kit from Sealand were acceptable
- Fysetc parts (control board / LCD / etc) were acceptable

Lowlights:
- X axis binding was extremely frustrating
- Scratched Y axis smooth rod from blurolls/sealand
- The non-constrained Igus bearings aren't an improvement over linear bearings
- Price for building piecemeal seems like a fool's game vs buying fysetc/triangle labs kit and targeted upgrades

Conclusion: Did we learn anything? Maybe just buy a kit rather than being an idiot like me, but it's a hobby, do whatever. If anyone wants I have a BOM with links to all the parts I used that I can DM or email, I don't want to post it publicly.

mewse fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 20, 2022

mewse
May 2, 2006

Opinionated posted:

About the x axis problem have you checked that there isn't anything sticking out that may trigger the endstop?

Yeah.. technically there's no endstops but when I'm sliding the extruder carriage by hand I can feel the resistance increase at the ends. It travels the full extent on both sides without hitting stuff, just feels like tightening at the ends of travel. I got it to pass the self test by re-printing both X ends ("motor" and "idler"), and loosening the screws on the back of the extruder carriage - the screw for the cable post thing was pressing into the lower bearing of the X carriage which was contributing the the problem.

Like. I've spent hours messing with it. Once I have linear bearings in hand (and superlube, and applicator) I'm going to tear the whole thing apart and replace all the printed parts constraining the X axis - both X ends, the X carriage, the X carriage "back cover", and hopefully everything will align so this problem is just not there anymore.

One thing I did do was originally printed the X ends with 30% infill and 1 or 2 extra perimeters and I think it contributed to the problem by making them too rigid. But I also suspect the dimensions of the X carriage part are wrong because of my jank mk2.5s clone.

quote:

Also have you learned how to check the belt tension? It can run a check to tell you how tight the belts are: https://help.prusa3d.com/en/article/adjusting-belt-tension-mk3-s_112380/

The latest printed parts have a m3x30 screw on the back of the x-motor part that can tension up the motor, I tried all variations of belt tension to fix the axis problem (like borderline too loose to borderline too tight) and unfortunately didn't fix the problem.

quote:

Also here's a nice easy upgrade: https://www.printables.com/model/62523-delta-p-fan-duct-v2-r2-for-mk3s-extruder Better fan duct and allows a much better view of the nozzle!

That is really cool, I might get that hooked up eventually. With the longer ducts I suspect the fan might be quieter too. Thanks!

mewse
May 2, 2006

snail posted:

I have tried Igus bearings before, of various types, and they're a pain in the arse to use on a machine without tight alignments. I found any time the parallel rails were out of alignment, it would result in sticking or resistance. And they didn't work with sensorless homing for me either, the force required to start them moving would trip up my TMCs. I never did find a value for the detection that worked properly. Even quality LM8UUs are dirt cheap, and easier to use.

Ok, good to know I'm not the only one struggling with the igus. I have a bunch of linear bearings showing up tomorrow with a tube of superlube and I've already already printed the applicator.

quote:

I've heard this. I know a guy who swears by the Fysetc kits, and refuses to buy Prusa genuine anymore. He has a room full of both, and he insists the Fysetc units are more reliable and have fewer failures, and in some cases producing better prints. Anecdata for sure.

Also very good to know! I don't know anyone who has built the kit and didn't trust the word of random youtubers. If the fysetc kit is good, kit + superpinda + satin sheet from Prusa would be a drat good mk3s+ for not much money.

mewse
May 2, 2006

swampface posted:

They're sending me a new trapezoidal nut and I ordered a handful more so hopefully that'll sort out my problem. It is so easy to bind up the Z axis with the current parts that missed steps could definitely part of the problem. I've managed to get it to complete the XYZ self calibration then be unable to move the Z axis up more than halfway immediately after.

If the new nut doesn't solve my issues I'll be looking to see if the probe could be having issues next, but one thing at a time.

I hesitate to bring it up but it did look like from your videos that the lead screw is bent (it wavers against that line you put on the paper under it)

mewse
May 2, 2006

mewse posted:

Ok, good to know I'm not the only one struggling with the igus. I have a bunch of linear bearings showing up tomorrow with a tube of superlube and I've already already printed the applicator.

Update I replaced the igus bushings with cheap LM8UU bearings from amazon, packed the bearings with grease, also replaced the printed parts that might constrain the X axis - all motion problems are gone. X axis breezes through the self test, heat bed doesn't twist slightly on Y direction change.

It took a few hours to rebuild everything but it's very satisfying to have the machine running with no problems.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I was looking up "meme prints" a month or two ago and came across this one: NSFW swole Pikachu.

I am kinda tempted to print it and mail it to a mate of mine as a joke.

What support settings are people using for this

mewse
May 2, 2006

Anyone know of DIY cheap cartesian designs that use a single Z motor with integrated lead screw? I have a spare that I'd like to turn into something. Looking at the makergear micro right now but it's fairly constrained to its choice of control board, specific linear rail length, etc.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Toebone posted:

I replaced the hot end on my Ender 3 (stock for stock) and printed off a Benchy afterwards to test. Most of it came out pretty good, but the chimney is all blobby. Any ideas?

That's a pretty nice benchy but maybe there's something going on with your slicer settings with respect to retraction that is causing those blobs

mewse
May 2, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Is there a thread for woodworking CNC machines, or is anyone here familiar with current models?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558051

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

idgi. What issues are you going to run into with an all metal hot end? Doesn’t it mainly just ditch a plastic sleeve on the inside?

I put the Microswiss all metal hot end on my E3v2 and all I had to do was boost material temps by 5C. I didn’t even have to recalibrate the esteps.

The bowden/PLA combo with all metal can cause sticking to the internal metal surfaces and clogging. Usually gets triggered with repeated retractions, like I printed an almost fine benchy but once it got to the 4 corners of the cabin it started showing signs of clogging with underextrusion.

This wasn't with an ender, was with a hypercube I built with a bowden extruder and a titanium heatbreak, but it's the problem people run into with all metal and should be aware of.

mewse
May 2, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

MakerBot have been the red headed stepchild of Stratasys pretty much the whole time

I'm wondering if Stratasys moving to a minority stake of the new entity signals that they've had trouble wringing profit from the hobbyist market

mewse
May 2, 2006

Acid Reflux posted:

Interesting news in my email just now from Printed Solid. I hope this is a good move, they've already been working together for a pretty long time.

https://www.printedsolid.com/blogs/news/prusa-research-acquires-printed-solid-inc

That seems promising. I'm in Canada but if there's a Prusa factory in the states making kits + pre-assembled units, that seems like a boon for all of NA.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

That’s a really great feature.

Oh general question, but what is considered the Taiyo Yuden’s* of PLA+ filaments.

*Back in the dvd r trading days, they were considered the best DVD-R out there by nerds.

There are so many filament makers that there isn't consensus like back in the taiyo yuden days. eSun PLA+ is very good.

mewse
May 2, 2006

cruft posted:

I thought it was the de facto replacement.

It almost is. The code behind thingiverse is so bad that prusa was like "might as well put up a model site" and it's significantly better from a reliability standpoint. Just missing the huge back catalog of uploads

mewse
May 2, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So any thoughts on the Ender 3 v2? Obviously this depends on just how much of an open box it is and nothing major or important is missing.

People advocate prusa machines because they "just work". Enders can be totally acceptable if you know what you're doing, and even really good with some strategic upgrades. Getting an open box Ender is masochistic:

- Someone returned the machine. There is probably something wrong with it.
- You are gambling that there is nothing wrong with it, and previous owner returned it for another reason.
- Nobody restocking the "open box" machine runs test prints to see if there's something wrong with it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Can anybody recommend a mesh editing / nesting / slicer solution for commercial use? Something with a free trial period so we can kick the tires a little?

We’re locked into a particular lovely proprietary CAM/slicer for setup and actually sending jobs to the printers, but the nesting functionality doesn’t even work properly and we’re wasting a ton of time working around it. I want to show people how much easier life will be when we can nest, add supports and do other print setup on a decent platform, export it to .stl, and then drop that into the proprietary slicer at the very end.

Big bonus if this software will also let us add text / build info to the meshes fairly painlessly, we’re having QC issues and want a way to tell which prints came from what printer.

I don't have much experience with this so someone else will probably have better suggestions, but I've usually heard about MeshMixer when it comes to editing provided STLs. It's usually better to get the fusion or STEP file and edit that rather than the mesh, not sure what input file type you are dealing with.

I have used some software called "ideaMaker" to apply a texture to the outside surface of STL models, it might have the capability to do nesting / supports you are looking for. The UI is terrible.

mewse
May 2, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

What is the best/easiest method or gadget that allows WiFi storage and access for a printer? If I try looking for a combination of the words WiFi and storage or something it's all $700 media servers and NAS arrays and stuff when all I want is some kind of storage I can write slices to over WiFi that is accessible by USB so the printer can pick it up.

Raspberry pi / Octoprint / Octopi

With pi's being so scarce you could maybe try out this thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHNZPRl8gzA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Serenade posted:

Setting up Klipper on my Ender 3 with SKR Mini E3 v3.0, I want to make a big effort post about Klipper and how I shouldn't have waited so long, but I am stuck.

This test mesh worked yesterday, now it is off center to the point where I cannot print it. "Too large for the print bed" it claims. What variables do I need to play with to center where a mesh is loaded

Left is the preview in Prusa Slicer, right is the current gcode viewer in OctoPrint. It is harder to demonstrate with smaller objects, but those too are off center in OctoPrint but not Prusa. The extra confusing part is that if I load the exact file from yesterday, it too is off center.

Did Octoprint reset to thinking you have a 200x200 bed instead of 235x235