Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I Am Fowl posted:

Hooty definitely leaves big rear end gross owl pellets all around, right?

Yeah it's how they get their mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I don't think the current set up in The Boiling Isles necessitates that the Savage Ages be some kind of lawless hellscape. As long as Belos is able to back his claims about talking to The Titan up with some kind of exceptional power or magical ability (Or the illusion thereof) that would be enough to gather a following that could eventually be turned into universal authority.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Everyone posted:

Second, there had to be some reasons Belos was able to get the large majority of the Boiling Isles to go along with his ideas and go along with them to the point that they presumably made him Emperor because of them. Otherwise Belos wouldn't be Emperor of the Boiling Isles so much as "Emperor" of the Boiling Isles version of the Flat Earth Society.

Sure, it's not like authoritarian leaders have ever manipulated the public's perception of an imagined threat to consolidate popularity and power right

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I have a feeling that the peoples' attitude towards Belos is kind of a "well he keeps the trains running on time" deal. No one seems particularly fond of him but considering the pre-him era is known as the Savage Ages and the few characters we know that are older than his reign (which is only 50 years mind you) like Principal Bump or Eda's mom don't seem to contradict this by going "eh it wasn't that bad" or anything, it seems that he at least brought order to a more chaotic place.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Gnome de plume posted:

Sure, it's not like authoritarian leaders have ever manipulated the public's perception of an imagined threat to consolidate popularity and power right

Belos manipulated the public's perception of an imagined threat to consolidate popularity and power still counts as a reason the Boiling Isles people went along with him and made him emperor.

TwoPair posted:

I have a feeling that the peoples' attitude towards Belos is kind of a "well he keeps the trains running on time" deal. No one seems particularly fond of him but considering the pre-him era is known as the Savage Ages and the few characters we know that are older than his reign (which is only 50 years mind you) like Principal Bump or Eda's mom don't seem to contradict this by going "eh it wasn't that bad" or anything, it seems that he at least brought order to a more chaotic place.

That's my take on it. Belos is a high-handed authoritarian rear end in a top hat and most folks put up with it because they don't want to go back to living every day like this except with powerful magic instead of guns.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 27, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I find it weird that goons of all people are finding it hard to believe that a nice and likeable kid who happens to act weird and have a lot of energy with no satisfying output can be a friendless social pariah and branded a troublemaker by disinterested authorities. On top of her race and her family circumstances, being implicitly lesbian/bisexual (and possibly not entirely gender conforming, for that matter) probably contributes.

On another note, I didn't find the bard dude too much of an asspull if only because Eda's mentioned her ex-boyfriends enough times to be a running gag.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 27, 2021

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Raine actually made a cameo back in season one when Eda is looking through her old pictures from when she was a kid, granted their face is covered but it's clearly them.

And Raine has been confirmed as nonbinary.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I find it weird that goons of all people are finding it hard to believe that a nice and likeable kid who happens to act weird and have a lot of energy with no satisfying output can be a friendless social pariah and branded a troublemaker by disinterested authorities.

I mean the "nice and likeable" part is beyond all goons' experience so.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I find it weird that goons of all people are finding it hard to believe that a nice and likeable kid who happens to act weird and have a lot of energy with no satisfying output can be a friendless social pariah and branded a troublemaker by disinterested authorities. On top of her race and her family circumstances, being implicitly lesbian/bisexual (and possibly not entirely gender conforming, for that matter) probably contributes.

On another note, I didn't find the bard dude too much of an asspull if only because Eda's mentioned her ex-boyfriends enough times to be a running gag.

I'm willing to buy Luz being isolated. Still, 12-16 year old me would have crushed hard on Luz. Cute friendly energetic tomboy(not meant as a slur but that was a term for "non completely gender conforming" 35ish years ago) with that accent who's into fantasy and once traumatized a classroom by putting live spiders in griffin models? That would have been a possible soulmate there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also pretty wild to see what high level Abomination magic looks like, and how crude even the Blights are in comparison.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Alador fights Darius' genie form with a giant Abomination mech.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I'm just happy we got to see food shipping girl again. She even has a name now!

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Cattail Prophet posted:

I'm just happy we got to see food shipping girl again. She even has a name now!

Katya--another Russian/Slavic breadcrumb Dana Terrace has snuck into the series, along with Kikimora, and the secret runic alphabet which is essentially Cyrillic.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like to think that (latest episode) King's father is subscribed to Eda's account, maybe since seeing a thumbnail years before featuring his son and wanting to keep tabs on how he was doing. Or maybe he was subbed from way before King hatched for her Human Junk Unboxing videos and then had a bit of a shock when he first appeared. :3:

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

eda could get into berghain

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

sliami posted:

eda could get into berghain

Eda probably used her magic door to come to Earth to help found Berghain.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

principal bump is rick owens

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

My favorite reaction to this new episode that I've seen is "yes it's finally canon!" wrt Luz and Amity, like motherfucker it's been canon since goddamn episode 10 or some poo poo. Anyway good ep.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

kidcoelacanth posted:

My favorite reaction to this new episode that I've seen is "yes it's finally canon!" wrt Luz and Amity, like motherfucker it's been canon since goddamn episode 10 or some poo poo. Anyway good ep.

I haven't seen the episode yet (still 35 minutes out) but maybe the commenter meant that both of them were acknowledging and accepting their relationship together instead of continuing to do the *BLUSH* "OH god! I hope Luz (and/or) Amity doesn't know I like them!"

And now that I've seen it...

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSQQQQQQQQQUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, no specific spoilers, but that was quite a lot of plot movement on multiple fronts. Hooty is the best (and the worst).

Everyone fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 31, 2021

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Everyone posted:

Seriously though, no specific spoilers, but that was quite a lot of plot movement on multiple fronts. Hooty is the best (and the worst).

He accomplished everything he set out to do, just nowhere near how he planned it :allears:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

They have a basement?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

DarklyDreaming posted:

He accomplished everything he set out to do, just nowhere near how he planned it :allears:

Hey now, the Tunnel of Love would have worked exactly as intended if Luz had actually gone along with it and not wound up sending Amity the mother of all mixed messages!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hey now, the Tunnel of Love would have worked exactly as intended if Luz had actually gone along with it and not wound up sending Amity the mother of all mixed messages!

To be fair, I probably would have had the exact same reaction as Luz.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DarklyDreaming posted:

Precisely everything he set out to do. And not one bit more, like delivering King's dad's message.

Truly the best/worst. (I really expected the stinger scene to be that Lilith's letters were actually going to Belos/one of Belos' guys as a way to spy on Eda & co.)

Henker
May 5, 2009

Is this the first time Hooty has been acknowledged as a demon?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Henker posted:

I think so? Lilith might have said something back in season 1 after her and the Emperor's Coven's failed attempt to arrest Eda but I cannot remember.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Henker posted:

He's been called a house demon but this episode is the closest we've gotten to an explanation of what that actually means.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
You know, I was just asking, in this very thread, if Hooty makes disgusting owl pellets and this episode delivers in spades.

Also, this.

And this hand thing that I've seen and done myself but never seen on tv before, so it kind of drew my attention the whole scene--a gesture that I was probably doing just moments before during the awkward bits of the tunnel of love scene.

Very good episode.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

This is some good cartoons.

"Don't you talk about my MOTHER!" is such an obvious line, yet the delivery still carried it.

I Am Fowl posted:

Also, this.

Yes, definitely this.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Madurai posted:

Yes, definitely this.

I like how both Eda and Luz are like "Nice."

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
Between the options of Bug, Beast and Biped I like that Hooty is a bug.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
He's so proud to be a horrible worm too.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I like Lilith's custom stationary and that she breaks it out to be pen pals with Hootsifer.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Man, can you imagine how much the tunnel of love ride must have sucked for Amity?
"oh. so Luz is so opposed to us being a couple that she's destroying this romantic thing that Hooty set up for us. cool. that's cool."

TwoPair posted:

Precisely everything he set out to do. And not one bit more, like delivering King's dad's message.

Truly the best/worst. (I really expected the stinger scene to be that Lilith's letters were actually going to Belos/one of Belos' guys as a way to spy on Eda & co.)

Hey, they made him promise never to help anyone ever again! That's on them!

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Funky Valentine posted:

I like Lilith's custom stationary and that she breaks it out to be pen pals with Hootsifer.

There is absolutely no reason for Lilith to have matching levels of "Bird aesthetic" but she chose to do it anyway and we love her for it

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

paradoxGentleman posted:

Man, can you imagine how much the tunnel of love ride must have sucked for Amity?
"oh. so Luz is so opposed to us being a couple that she's destroying this romantic thing that Hooty set up for us. cool. that's cool."

Hey, they made him promise never to help anyone ever again! That's on them!

Well, sure, but think about it - especially from Luz's modern Earth perspective. Setting up an elaborate "Tunnel of Love" thing for somebody you haven't even asked out comes across less as "lovely romantic gesture" and more "crazy stalker person who will eventually cut my heart out and put it in a jar in the fridge next to those of her other victims."

Plus we know that on Earth Luz was "not quite a social butterfly." Given the snakes and spiders, there's every chance that when Luz did crush on somebody she'd do some big dramatic, cheesy thing that scared them off, or, worse, ended with them mocking her humiliation. Luz really likes Amity and she pretty sure that Amity like her, so she's just desperate for things to not blow up in her face and spoil things.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
When that's light novel dropping?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Everyone posted:

Well, sure, but think about it - especially from Luz's modern Earth perspective. Setting up an elaborate "Tunnel of Love" thing for somebody you haven't even asked out comes across less as "lovely romantic gesture" and more "crazy stalker person who will eventually cut my heart out and put it in a jar in the fridge next to those of her other victims."

Plus we know that on Earth Luz was "not quite a social butterfly." Given the snakes and spiders, there's every chance that when Luz did crush on somebody she'd do some big dramatic, cheesy thing that scared them off, or, worse, ended with them mocking her humiliation. Luz really likes Amity and she pretty sure that Amity like her, so she's just desperate for things to not blow up in her face and spoil things.

Her "I'm gonna be made fun of again" response definitely makes it sound like Luz has done at least one over the top ask-out (or something similar) in the past. That coupled with Amity's very recent history as "smart, rich, popular girl at school" and little things her insistence on their Azura Book Club being secret - it's easy to see why Luz would be cautious in how she'd ask her out. She hasn't really gotten to experience much of the Amity who keeps a grom photo of them in her sleeve while pretend-fighting abomatons.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

xeria posted:

Her "I'm gonna be made fun of again" response definitely makes it sound like Luz has done at least one over the top ask-out (or something similar) in the past. That coupled with Amity's very recent history as "smart, rich, popular girl at school" and little things her insistence on their Azura Book Club being secret - it's easy to see why Luz would be cautious in how she'd ask her out. She hasn't really gotten to experience much of the Amity who keeps a grom photo of them in her sleeve while pretend-fighting abomatons.

I'm looking forward to August 18, which is when these next five episodes are supposed to drop on Disney+. I'm want to be able to really re-watch them in-depth.

It'll probably have to wait until the back half of the season, but I'll bet that Amity's mom will be less than pleased at Amity's choice of love interest. Figure the twins will think it's great, though.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 1, 2021

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Lilith absolutely writes letters like she draws glyphs, with her nose right on the paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Everyone posted:

It'll probably have to wait until the back half of the season, but I'll bet that Amity's mom will be less than pleased at Amity's choice of love interest. Figure the twins will think it's great, though.

Yeah, was just thinking today that surely Odalia and Alador are going to make a reappearance in S2's second half, especially considering they're clearly in favor of Belos' coven system and supplying him abomatons. Amity's romance with ~The Human~ is one of many things that put her squarely in opposition to them but it's probably a pretty big one, enough to where I wonder how much she'll try to keep everything on the down-low (not just romance but also helping Luz figure out the portal, etc.) even if only to keep her family situation from boiling over.

My other thought today: boy we're 8 eps in and Willow's been almost nonexistent aside from ep2.