Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

That was an enjoyable conclusion and send-off to the series.

I'm bummed that they didn't get the opportunity to do a full season three (or beyond!) but glad they got the chance to wrap stuff up, even if in a rather compressed fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Covok posted:

That was the best possible ending we could hope for. There is a lot I'm sad we didn't get to see because Disney hosed with the final season. There will always be questions of what more could have been. But this was an amazing ending and it feels so weird knowing this is an end of an era for Disney as they have lost all the main peeps Alex Hirsch brought in. But, for now, I'm just happy for what we got.

Definitely hoping Dana & the rest are able to find new homes to continue creating great things. That was a great finale to a great series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently a member of the Owl House staff has a show of their own in the works called Neon Galaxy but I’m not sure if much/any info on it has come out yet

For the time being, what few rumors we have regarding the series can be found here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NeonGalaxy/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 10, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I like the open ended finale. People were talking about whether Luz would stay in the demon realm or go home and I don't think I would have been happy with either personally, so it's nice to let it hang imo

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

I like the open ended finale. People were talking about whether Luz would stay in the demon realm or go home and I don't think I would have been happy with either personally, so it's nice to let it hang imo

It seems they made a new portal off screen and people can now come and go between the two worlds as they please (which works for me honestly)

Also according to Dana, Hunter’s new palisman is named Waffles

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Covok posted:

It's very obvious that Disney shows with portal fantasy are all desperately trying to avoid the Star Vs Finale fiasco.

I think what kinda helps on that front in this case is that a potential permanent disconnect between the two worlds was never really part of the stakes to begin with for TOH the way it was in Star VS. The connections between the human realm and the boiling isles were always there and always would be. Actually accessing them was the hard part, especially from the human world side of things. Luz potentially staying on one side or the other felt like it might be a long-term choice, perhaps, but never a permanent one.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Larryb posted:

It seems they made a new portal off screen and people can now come and go between the two worlds as they please (which works for me honestly)

And by "they," it seems like specifically The Collector.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Wait a minute, if the glyphs are titan magic, then why the hell are they were working in the human world?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tenasscity posted:

Wait a minute, if the glyphs are titan magic, then why the hell are they were working in the human world?

They literally mention this in the first episode of S3, it seems the closer you are to a source of titan blood the stronger magic becomes (hence why in the first season the glyph dissolved as opposed to not working at all like when Luz tried one at the start of Season 3, likely because King hadn’t developed his power yet). It worked later in that episode because there was a vial of titan blood buried in the graveyard they were in

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I really loved it. Definitely teared up a few times.

Can't wait for Disney to trot this show and Dana out for Pride Month/International Women's day like they didn't cut this show off while it was getting good.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I am gonna be a dissenter.

Its not really the shows fault, it shows they had to rejigger because of episodes being cut.

I can see the seems where they had make changes

So for terms of characters arches and stuff it feels disjointed and its because it was rushed.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Rushed isn't the right word, the whole episode was very lovingly crafted. It's compressed, and there's clearly a whole lot of stuff that could have expanded into entire episodes by themselves if they'd had the chance. They did a good job pacing this well and capping off everything that really needed to be.

Also the soundtrack for this episode was incredible.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, considering the time crunch they were under that was actually one of the more satisfying finales I’ve seen in a while. Everything that needed to be wrapped up was and there were a ton of callbacks as well (they even explained the giant heart in Belos’ throne room).

I do wish Hunter got to take part in the final battle against Belos though (since the two of them probably shared the most personal connection and it would have been nice karmic payback for Caleb) and it’s a shame we couldn’t have gotten some proper Eda/Camila interaction (though the picture near the end of the former introducing the latter to apple blood was fun and replacing her missing hand with a hook instead of a prosthetic was a very Eda thing to do) but I do appreciate the way they ended things and that neither Belos nor Odalia got any attempt at redemption.

The last scene between Luz and the former was very well done as well (Phil going from manipulating to pleading as his mask figuratively and literally crumbles away while Luz just stands there in silence the whole time) and the final battle that preceded it was hype as gently caress

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I noticed at the end All the kids got Flapjack tattoos to remember him.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Rhonne posted:

I noticed at the end All the kids got Flapjack tattoos to remember him.

Oh that's what that tattoo was!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also apparently some of Vee’s fellow basilisks survived as well (you can see two of them asleep in a scene near the end)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The bit that got me the tearing up hardest was the Collector learning the hard way what it means for a mortal to die. Just their slow realisation that under normal circumstances Luz isn't coming back as none of their powers can fix it, and then them having to just deal with that because the only people around who can help them understand what happened are now going mad with rage so are not behaving in a very friendly manner as the whole situation falls apart. And that it happened because they finally tried to do the right thing, but at the wrong time so they have to deal with the guilt on top of that. Then later again but in a happy way with "I hope I see you again someday", and the Collector finally having the real friends that they've always wanted.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not to mention them being taken advantage of by their fellow Collectors/Archivists and effectively being used as Titan bait (in other words the entire reason our Collector got sealed in the first place was due to a case of mistaken identity)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm sure if we got a spinoff comic like AtLA did we'd probably get the background on the other coven heads that basically got skipped over in the rush to rejigger things. Likely set between the finale and the epilogue

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’d sort of like to see the backstory of the Wittebane brothers expanded on in comic form as well

Other spin-off/comic ideas that might be fun:

Young Eda
Vee’s adventures in the Human Realm
Owl House: Future
Relic Hunter Amity Blight

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Other spin-off/comic ideas that might be fun:

Vee’s adventures in the Human Realm

Vee Does Camila's Taxes: THE TRILOGY

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Vee Does Camila's Taxes: THE TRILOGY

Masha gives me strong Janna from Star Vs vibes so maybe teaming Vee up with them could work

https://theowlhouse.fandom.com/wiki/Masha

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 11, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also here’s some higher quality versions of the photos at the end:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheOwlHouse/comments/12ifbqr/andy_garnerflexner_future_photos_in_highdef/

Camila and Eda becoming drinking buddies warms my heart (kind of curious how Vee graduated when she technically has no official documentation in the human world)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Was Vee "legally" Luz?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rappaport posted:

Was Vee "legally" Luz?

She took her place for a while (and probably did so again while Luz and Camila were off in the demon realm) but the picture in question shows them graduating together

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

My bad. So who gets the social security number?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Larryb posted:

Also here’s some higher quality versions of the photos at the end:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheOwlHouse/comments/12ifbqr/andy_garnerflexner_future_photos_in_highdef/

Camila and Eda becoming drinking buddies warms my heart (kind of curious how Vee graduated when she technically has no official documentation in the human world)

I was kind of disappointed that the one shot was Camilla reacting with trepidation to apple blood, when what we could have gotten is the two of them absolutely tearing up a tequila bar.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Madurai posted:

I was kind of disappointed that the one shot was Camilla reacting with trepidation to apple blood, when what we could have gotten is the two of them absolutely tearing up a tequila bar.

I fully believe that Eda has tried human alcohol before

Kind of a pity we never got any actual dialogue between Luz’s two moms but the awkward handshake following the final battle was pretty good

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 11, 2023

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Madurai posted:

Eh, Camila's expression seems more curious to me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I guess humans just know about the demon realm now (and Amity seems way too happy about Hooty being seconds away from devouring that poor zookeeper’s hand)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also Luz’s super form at the end is apparently officially called “Titan Witch”

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Rappaport posted:

Camila is a capable adult, a nurse, and a single parent of two kids, what with Vee now.

She probably stole the identity of some dead kid from the hospital.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I Am Fowl posted:

Camila is a capable adult, a nurse, and a single parent of two kids, what with Vee now.

She probably stole the identity of some dead kid from the hospital.

For Luz, Eda the Owl Lady demonstrates her true most powerful magic trick: identity theft.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Gus used illusion magic on a blank piece of paper to convince some clerk to give her a "replacement" social security card

Or in other words a wizard did it

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Just noticed V smiling up at Hunter in the prom pic. I didn't realize I had shipping brain but I see a couple different ways to read that pic.

tokin opposition posted:

Gus used illusion magic on a blank piece of paper to convince some clerk to give her a "replacement" social security card

Or in other words a wizard did it

I don't want to make any big called shots here, but I think this means Gus decides American elections now.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Larryb posted:

I also kind of enjoyed Belos going out in the most pathetic way possible while Luz just stands there having none of his poo poo

I saw this the other day, Instant Wallpaper.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Rappaport posted:

Eda contacted her ex-husband Stan

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tenasscity posted:

I saw this the other day, Instant Wallpaper.

That was good, yeah (it’s also funny that Belos tried to convince the girl who was once literally inside his head that he was under a curse)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 12, 2023

MACAW.AVI
Dec 1, 2013

Larryb posted:

That was good, yeah (it’s also funny that Belos tried to convince the girl that was once literally inside his head that he was under a curse)

I saw someone describe it as him thinking he was going to roll a nat 20 on Deception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It reminded me of Toffee's final exit in Star Vs the Forces of Evil. Similarly satisfying. "Only I know how this all turns out! *splat*" "Turns out you're dead."