Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
there was a time when remakes/remasters were called HD collections or whatever and they sucked

but now most remakes are loving awesome!

thank you toys for bob (spyro)
thank you bluepoint (uncharted, DeS)
thank you atlus (nocturne)
thank you nintendo (mario 3D world, skyward sword)
thank you sega (sonic colors)
thank you squeenix (uh, a few)

what's on your list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Resident Evil and RE2 Remakes were fantastic.

3 remake was a good game but not a good remake

Dark Souls and Demons Souls remastered.
Links Awakening

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The DS and 3DS Dragon Quest remakes are incredible.

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

Metroid: Zero Mission is a perfect game. Not sure if it holds up, but I had a blast with Bionic Commando Rearmed and the soundtrack whips rear end

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
The re remakes are the best games ever made op

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

tawal posted:

Metroid: Zero Mission is a perfect game. Not sure if it holds up, but I had a blast with Bionic Commando Rearmed and the soundtrack whips rear end

Bionic Commando Re-armed is amazing OP

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

apropos to nothing posted:

Been saying this

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Heiyankyo alien on the game boy

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The DS and 3DS Dragon Quest remakes are incredible.

was going to post this. they’re all excellent

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

yakuza kiwami 2 and, hell, yakuza kiwami are both extremely good

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

Absolutely

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Yup

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

saga frontier remastered is a finished game and saga frontier isnt, plus it added tons of QoL stuff (better translation, speed up, flee button, full equipment stats, tons of comfort changes to the monster system). its my personal gold standard for a remaster now

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

mhm

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

apropos to nothing posted:

:hmmyes:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Also highly agree that the RE remakes are fantastic. Even RE3make was fun even if it weirdly cut a lot from the original game

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Twin Snakes was cool. I should never have lent my copy to a friend...

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

it goes to show just how amazing the first REmake is in that they just released it as-is on modern systems recently and it still completely held up and remains competitive in the face of the sheer godlike epicness that is REmake 2. those two games are a gift to gamerkind.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Resi is a big blind spot for me. I gotta get in on this poo poo!!

Fungah! posted:

saga frontier remastered is a finished game and saga frontier isnt, plus it added tons of QoL stuff (better translation, speed up, flee button, full equipment stats, tons of comfort changes to the monster system). its my personal gold standard for a remaster now
I'm gonna get this one after I'm done with Romancing SaGa 3, which was a completely unexpected surprise to find on Steam. One of the big Squeenix thanks

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bolverkur posted:

it goes to show just how amazing the first REmake is in that they just released it as-is on modern systems recently and it still completely held up and remains competitive in the face of the sheer godlike epicness that is REmake 2. those two games are a gift to gamerkind.

Yeah, it still looks really good lol

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Bolverkur posted:

i need to get this again on steam, such a classic

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I wasn't sure how it would work on a Wiimote but the Trilogy remaster of Metroid Prime was excellent

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Resi is a big blind spot for me. I gotta get in on this poo poo!!

I couldn’t ever really get into Resident Evil myself until RE2 remake but it and 3 remake are insanely good, which got me to try out 7 and 8 too and I loved all of them. still need to go back for 4 at some point but I ended up getting distracted by a bunch of other games after beating 8

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Pokemon Fire Red & Leaf Green

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
THPS 1+2 is about everything I could have hoped for. It's not perfect and there will always be parts of the old games I prefer, but it wasn't about faithfully recreating the experience it was about transforming it into a modern entry.

Top of my list for stuff that doesn't exist is Burnout 2+3 HD. 2 is a pure arcade racer and one of my favorite video games of all time, and 3 is insane fun before the series started to get weighed down by the bloat of its own success (which kinda mirrors the THPS series in a way).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I couldn’t ever really get into Resident Evil myself until RE2 remake but it and 3 remake are insanely good, which got me to try out 7 and 8 too and I loved all of them. still need to go back for 4 at some point but I ended up getting distracted by a bunch of other games after beating 8
That's a perfect rec, thanks. I tried 4 but despite it being a certified God Game something about it just didn't click with me at all, but maybe I'll revisit it. Next time the remakes are on sale I'll get them for sure.

Also big yes to all the mentioned Metroids, Fire Red and Leaf Green were awesome as a kid, and I remember having a great time with Bionic Commando as well, though it's been a while.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

played a poo poo ton of these, they did everything they needed to imo. honestly though if they came out with a switch re-remake with the sword/shield mechanics i would lose my drat mind

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

American McGay posted:

THPS 1+2 is about everything I could have hoped for. It's not perfect and there will always be parts of the old games I prefer, but it wasn't about faithfully recreating the experience it was about transforming it into a modern entry.

Yeah, I'd forgotten how good that was. i think it's about as close as a remake can come to making you feel like you're playing the old games, but without any of the oldness.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Bolverkur posted:

it goes to show just how amazing the first REmake is in that they just released it as-is on modern systems recently and it still completely held up

i remember first playing this as a kid and exploding in terror when you met the first zombie because THIS IS loving REAL AAAAAHHHH

it's the only game i can remember turning off because the graphics were too scary

roomtone fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 19, 2021

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Fire Red is probably one of my most played games of all time thanks to how many hours i put into it in elementary school. so good

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
the hd versions of mgs 2 and 3 are great and i hope they do something similar with 4 at some point

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mycophobia posted:

the hd versions of mgs 2 and 3 are great and i hope they do something similar with 4 at some point

Yeah they’re excellent ports

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

original RE remake is one of the best games ever made

i really like the remakes of dragon quest 1 and 2 for the game boy color. they made a lot of really simple quality of life changes that make both games go smoother and faster

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

that's the stuff

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

super mario all-stars, anyone?

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Big fan of the Spyro remake, here.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

STONE COLD 64 posted:

reminded me of the N-Sane Trilogy, which also kicks rear end

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

roomtone posted:

i remember first playing this as a kid and exploding in terror when you met the first zombie because THIS IS loving REAL AAAAAHHHH

it's the only game i can remember turning off because the graphics were too scary

I used to torture myself as a kid playing this at night by myself with all the lights turned off like a little psycho. Sitting around with hairs standing up on the back of my head and ears viscerally attuned to every ambient sound in my house. In retrospect I probably just needed to jack off and chill out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

the physics are wrong