Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Survivor Rebels Vs Titans starts January 29th 2024! Link to the start of discussion in this thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3973906&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post537348718

Titans Tribe

Rebels Tribe

Hello all! The US Survivor thread is upset over discussing things that might have spoilers for a show they might watch at some point.

So here is the Survivor Australia Brains Vs Brawn discussion thread!

This season, 24 Australians will try to survive in Australia for 48 days, partly because of Covid and mostly probably because they got paid to film in the Queensland.

Australian Survivor is a lot like US Survivor with more intense challenges and 24 players playing for 48 days. And arguably a better host that doesn't try to steer players to his liking.

This is the cast of Brawn Vs. Brain

There is 3 new episodes airing this week to start the season, Sunday, Monday, & Tuesday. Most likely the season will only be airing 2 days a week after. Pretty fair to not post major spoilers for people still catching up in a week.

Anyway, discuss away.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Totally botched that advantage in the first ep.

Edit: spoilered just in case

nexous fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 19, 2021

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I'm in.

"Brains vs Brawn" this year is hilarious. Ever want to watch a tribe of bodybuilders and MMA fighters in wresting matches with writers and forensic psychologists? This is your year. It should just be called "Survivor SA: Adult Bullying". Hell the main guy on brains, George Mladenov, is basically an adult Young Sheldon. (I know that is just regular Sheldon, but George still acts like he is 8)

The best part is that the I have a feeling a lot of the Brains tribe are, well, not all the brainy. Like, one of them HONESTLY BELIEVES she can touch you and read your mind. Because she is magic. She also is a real estate mogul. It appears her father was also a real estate mogul first but I'm sure she had zero help from him getting started or anything.

I am liking George, the champion wood chopper, even if the very first challenge was literally chopping wood. Seems a little biased but whatever, suck it nerd tribe. Discount Charlotte Nicdao is awesome too, and I'm glad she was protected on that first tribal.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Discount Charlotte Nicdao

I asked my wife why Poppy was on survivor

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Guys, she's 10 years older and looks about 20 years older.

Not conviced I've heard Benny say a word all season. And whilst we're on the topic of bad lookalike comparisons, he looks exactly like Jesus/Humple-Doo from from Preacher.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Really strong start to the season. And :lol: about someone arguing that they should rest instead of starting a fire.

Which brings the interesting thing, seems they haven't actually given the Survivors flint. Even the 1st reward, it was an option to choose fire... in the form of fire.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Really strong start to the season. And :lol: about someone arguing that they should rest instead of starting a fire.

Which brings the interesting thing, seems they haven't actually given the Survivors flint. Even the 1st reward, it was an option to choose fire... in the form of fire.
"Fire... in the form of flame" haha

I'm optimistic about this season because the contestants seem pretty well chosen.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
George is...... a lot.

I don't know whether I love him or hate him.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Looten Plunder posted:

George is...... a lot.

I don't know whether I love him or hate him.
He strikes me as neurotic to the point of obnoxious. But a good counter-point to the chill suave doctor so maybe they were separated at birth or the same person from parallel universes.

Can I just give a lil plug for South Africa Survivor? Season 8, currently airing, 2 eps so far. It's low budget, reminds me of old school survivor, and kind of quirky. Lots of distinct personalities running around!

Umbra
Jul 9, 2003
Sweet Sassy Molassy.
George is a disaster, and and hope he stays in as long as possible. I was wondering how on earth he was a politician, but it turns out he was a staffer for an actual politician.

Only person I really dislike is Emmett, still a lot of survivors not fleshed out due to the size of the cast.

Survivor South Africa is amusing this season, but a lot of the gameplay is baaaaaad. Plus one of the contestants names is Chappies, which sure is a name!

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
George is 100% the guy who was picked on in high school and now makes it his life mission to go against every person he encounters in life who exhibits any characteristic of those bullies. His argument with Baden was hilarious how stupid he was being with his insistence that he would have beaten a former AFL superstar in an athletic competition. No chance in hell.

As much as it's great to have a villain in George I can't wait for him to go because I feel like the editors are giving him too much credibility when he's really a clown.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Oh, there's no way the editors are giving George any credibility here. So many shots are of him saying or doing something absolutely batshit stupid. Like seriously, they showed him arguing against starting a fire to "rest" and then had him walking back to camp, "Wow you guys got the fire going while I was gone!?"

Although I could see him getting dragged along as a goat at this point.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

This is such a fun show.

I loved the idol hiding ploy of fake sunbathing in 42C/107F heat. :wtc:

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

This season is so incredible. Just when I think George says the most awkward thing possible in the entire universe, along comes Simon.

"I need to form a bond with Kara, so I am going to choose very carefully and be very strategic about how I approach this... So like how old were you when you went though menopause?" (Spoilers - she was 43)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've had the episodes on while working this week, only half paying attention, and I don't know anyone's name besides Flick because I've literally never seen a Survivor Aus season without at least one Flick.

I greatly enjoyed the tribal council drama when a medium-dark-hair-bearded man was so supremely confident in his role as shot-caller made the funniest threat for someone in no position to threaten anybody: "Anyone who flips is next one out." Just lol, how you gonna enforce that one if they flip and vote u out, bud?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Through last week but not yet having watched this week:

Was pretty shocked George managed to surround himself with a modest but actual set of allies. Someone like Baden always seemed to hate him, so my guess was for the most part that these are all just people that got rejected by the main alliance and this kind of formed by default, but then Kara plays an idol for him! Of course Wai jumps ship the first opportunity she gets, and i honestly think that was the right move for her. George has his good points but he was so ridiculous to Rachel when she didn't vote with him, I think attaching yourself to him is just damaging your own chances even if they could have carried that one vote thanks to the idol.

Anyway though, Wai straight up told them she was defecting... playing the idol was dumb because they had an idol proof majority with Wai! Kara's sacrifice was very emotional though, great TV, kinda weakened by the fact she gets to stay but at the same time, that made me happy for her. If she'd held onto the idol she could've let George go to the other tribe and stayed on her tribe with an idol, would've been nice too, and the other tribe could get a firsthand taste of George, which would be fun too. But have a feeling George is finally on his way out soon the way it broke out instead, and honestly yeah, his time has probably come. A player like him is super entertaining but they're not meant to last too long.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I can see Kara playing an idol for George as “well you know what I’m actually pretty hungry and gonna get voted out soon anyways, and this is George’s lifelong dream”

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Joey is like a counterfeit Luke and it's so odd watching his confessionals.

And George is like the most bazaar player ever. He acts like a snake constantly, but seems to both be incredibly loyal... and also expecting everyone he helps along the way to be incredibly loyal to him.

Also it's a really good season already and anyone who is on the fence should watch it :)

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

This last tribal was pretty nuts, seriously engrossing all the way through.

I'm also pleasantly surprised how few ~wacky~ personalities there are compared to the american one.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

nexous posted:

I can see Kara playing an idol for George as “well you know what I’m actually pretty hungry and gonna get voted out soon anyways, and this is George’s lifelong dream”
now that I've seen the new week's batch of eps, I see her idol play for george way more as, yes selflessness, but also just not understanding the obvious repercussions :lol:
funny that's not even the first time someone wrote the wrong name this season, although this time big d had to suffer for it.

Hayley is an absolute legend so far. Remember previously she beat the surfer at log rolling and the MMA fighting at wrestling to your mat, and now she's pulling all these moves. I was so glad that tribal council actually happened after all the planning and build up to it. I'd been expecting them to get to tribal and be told they're voting across tribes, ruining everything.

One thing that's weird now with players like Laura and Rachel is that we clearly know them at this point but they never got an intro package! What's that about? Or did they... maybe I can't keep track, but there's def people still around in the game that never got intro packages.

Edit: and Joey trying to split the votes on Wai was really dumb, I bet she wouldn’t have flipped otherwise

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Aug 4, 2021

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Been hard to catch up with Australian Survivor and watching the Olympics. But what a loving crazy week for the show. (Totally spoilering all 3 episodes of the week...) Tribe swaps, double tribals, and pure gently caress ups all around.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Also less spoilery, but it's interesting rule with Survivor Australia. Survivors can be out of the game for 24 hours to be observed by the medical team and be able to return after... Even skipping a tribal.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah that was interesting... I would say I'm fine with someone being out for up to 24 hours unless it's missing a tribal, and if it is, (throat cutting gesture). But I guess that's a more boring outcome for TV purposes.

:lol: at Wai in the 4 person final decision initially opting to keep Shannon who she had just voted out. Very dumb. It was funny how Simon then dunked Shannon and got her out of the game for good by talking about how she was going against him... If she wasn't too flustered to speak up, she could've said she didn't go behind Simon's back, she went to him with the plan and he agreed to it, and then he backstabbed her. I don't know if that would help but it's true. I listened to her exit interview and she actually had an even cooler plan than we saw in the show: She/Flick teaming with the 4 brain to go 3-3 Simon and Chelsea, while Simon/Chelsea/Dani put 3 on Hayley, which would almost force both Simon and Hayley to play idols and knock out Dani, who she claims doesn't do anything. It didn't work because obviously asking Simon to give up both an ally and an idol was too much to ask, but pretty great in theory at least.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The extra airtime is letting the editing on Australian Survivor is going way above US Survivor...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Was a pretty fun week, will spoiler things though :)

Episode 12 immunity challenge... Was interesting to see this challenge clearly setup to go far longer than they ended up doing for the Survivors. Had to put 6 balls on pipes, but the disk had 12 pipes and all 6 Survivors had 2 balls...

Episode 12 Tribal council spoilers Simon getting voted out with 2 idols in his pocket is pretty funny. Can't believe he didn't think something was up with the bad challenge performance and Baden whispering to George and Cara at tribal, who got to come thanks to the reward advantage...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Episode 13 now... Interesting & fun merge episode. George really played everyone perfectly... also interesting that Kez handed Flick her Idol after the votes were read and she was voted out without playing it. Not sure how that will work with the rules of the game.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
I finally caught up with the show so I can read this thread and post, which is hard to do with how fast they release episodes. They really love messing with the format of the show compared to the US version. The extra time to see what is happening around the camp is great and I wish the US version would take a note on that.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I do appreciate that they didn't leave the cliffhanger on the last episode of the week.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Only just found this thread but this season truly is bananas. Really surprised with who did and did not make it to the merge.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
George owns gonna be sad when he gets the boot

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

nexous posted:

I can honestly say he has entertained me more than any other contestant in Survivor history, and I have watched all of US, AU, SA and NZ. I'm not saying he is GOOD at Survivor (even if he has lasted this far) but he is entertaining as hell. Once he gets booted the show becomes 1/2 as interesting as it is now. Like, who really wants to see Andrew and Hayley scheme to vote for Dani? That is boring. I want to see poo poo like George bizarrely flipping everything backwards to Gerald. I hope he wins, I know it is impossible, but can you imagine how fun that would be?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

nexous posted:

George is definitely a crazy player and is also truly playing the game pretty well.

But I also think the rest of the cast can keep the show going even if / when he's on the jury. Haylee burned all her bridges but she did orchestrate the Brawn split after the tribe split and the immunity twist. She's made some big moves in the game and can likely keep it going.

Pretty spoilery for Ep 17 so... Also it's funny the twists in the game have kept players that had unanimous votes against them in the game.

Don't think it matters as a spoiler, but Episode 17 was pretty hard to watch... but also kind of heartwarming with Jonathan going over to give Flick a hug with the news of her mom dying...

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

nexous posted:

George is unbelievable, i was posting earlier in this thread "yeah hes a good wacky character but the show has to move on from those eventually."

somehow George himself moved on from it! He just rules and is owning the game now. How is this the same guy that took half the tribe out of tribal in the first episode and then insulted them? In some of the exit interviews of early boots they were saying stuff like, "well hats off to George, we didn't get along but he knows the game and is a heck of a player" and i was like "no he's not??? He stands on the challenge mat insulting his own tribe." It seems like just getting a good foothold and position in the game has really allowed him to excel.

I feel bad for Baden and Hayley getting burned by that twist though. Hayley really blew it especially by burning all her bridges on her way into a non-elim vote, but Baden is the one that's now out of the game when he never would've been otherwise, so that sucks for him. (Brawn needed Cara and George to maintain their numbers advantage and I don't think the sign off on voting Hayley or Baden).

Of course this poo poo is all par for the course for Australian Survivor. What really blew my mind was that they let someone hand off an idol post- vote.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Another good ep. Jeff could learn a thing or two from Australia.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
also glad cara and George got an idol, though I’m not sure she’d play it for him at this point.

and lol at George loudly taunting Emmett from the voting booth. Legend

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Episode 18 spoilers...

Kind of surprised Haylee & Wei went with George & Cara over the brawn alliance... There's far more cracks and room to move around between the brawn alliance than there is in the power couple of George and Cara...

I also think George might actually be delusional a bit to how loyal of a game he's actually playing, like I'm not sure if he actually believes he isn't backstabbing everyone in the back at this point...

And that jab from George at tribal, somehow both really funny and cringeworthy...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sad that there's only like 2 more weeks of this season really. Players and gameplay has been pretty top notch. Hasn't even really been any bad players in the game, even with having 2 Survivors just straight up vote for the wrong person...

Survivor 41 honestly will have pretty big shoes to fill to compare IMO.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Yeah, I've really been enjoying this season, although I'm mildly disappointed at the imbalance in editing; with such long episodes they really could showcase more than four players. Ep18 spoiler: When Andrew got a confessional early in the episode, I was sure he was going to be the boot.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah, the editing really stinks and is way too lopsided. It didn’t used to be like that but then they got a new editing team and they think this helps with ratings apparently. I thought the same thing with Andrew, was surprised when they started targeting Emmett. Andrew probably only got all those scenes because he was talking passionately about main character George. George and Hayley feel like the only conceivable winners at this point. Maybe Dani but oof, she tanked the entire Brawn tribe.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Episode 18 spoilers...

Kind of surprised Haylee & Wei went with George & Cara over the brawn alliance... There's far more cracks and room to move around between the brawn alliance than there is in the power couple of George and Cara...

I also think George might actually be delusional a bit to how loyal of a game he's actually playing, like I'm not sure if he actually believes he isn't backstabbing everyone in the back at this point...

And that jab from George at tribal, somehow both really funny and cringeworthy...

By going with George and Cara, she’s making a bigger move and has 3 boots lined up instead of 2, but most most crucially, after those boots she has a really good shot at challenge beasting to the end.

But like you said George really isn’t that loyal. I thought he’d chosen the brains side when he betrayed and knifed Gerald, but then he uses the anonymous idol against Laura instead of Dani? “Anonymously” playing that idol was a terrible move and he’s now betrayed everyone except Cara! He should have just bullied the vote off Cara and then been open he’d idoled her if that failed, and probably shouldn’t have flopped his flip from Brains back to Brawn. (Was keeping Laura in the game really much worse for his game than Dani?) Seems like a bad move that alienated all sides when he was sitting pretty, but I love that anonymous idol. It’s even cool how it tempted him into making a bad move.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I don't find the confessionals to be inexcusably lopsided, and not sure if it's a clear indication of the winner at the moment. Although obviously George and Haylee are getting the most confessional time, George & Haylee have pretty clearly been driving the season as a whole and you actually need their confessionals to even know what the gently caress is actually going on. George has been pretty much driving every vote since the tribe swap.

Although if you are interested, there is a Reddit poster that has been doing counts... https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/p5dya4/aus6_confessional_count_episode_fourteen/

Andrew on the other hand, seems pretty likely he is not even attempting to make any waves or any moves at all. He's been so quick to turn on both Haylee & George after they each burned him.

I kind of see a winning path for basically everyone left except for Andrew... and maybe Wei also...