Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

pumped up for school posted:

I rewound it to watch facial expressions.

Kind of like what the one celebrity said, "all about the drama." I'd guess production keeps her in the game as long as possible (like George) just because she's "good" for tv. And wtf is the story with her fur coat?
Production can't just "keep her in the game" though... it doesn't really work like that?

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

She's definitely one of those people that need to make everything about themselves.

"I'm actually more African American than you, you need to understand that... Because I'm from Africa..." :lol:
Yeah besides the astounding ignorance like, she goes around constantly not just thinking she's more/better than everyone else but insisting on telling them to their faces. What a person. Looks like a first boot to me, i can't imagine they take the shot at Hayley when they still have this toxic woman around that they're being forced to live with.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also for the episode 3 spoilers...

I am really curious what the not idol that Simon found in the cookie jar actually is. Also pretty comical that the editors put a crossed out idol next to his name while he was talking about finding an idol that didn't come with a necklace. Also kind of comical that the villains seem to keep talking themselves out of the game during tribal.
Yeah, i heard on a podcast recap people complaining that if it's just a fake idol that's cruel but idk, I wouldn't mind that, i just have to wonder what production is/isn't telling Simon about it. Like he's just presuming it's an idol with zero doubt in his mind despite no note telling him anything. Did he not even ask production if it's an idol? If he did and they refused to confirm one way or the other, then how can you be so confident in what it does? Some of the speculation on the podcast was that it's like one piece of an idol or other advantage, and a second component with instructions to complete the item will be dropped into the game later.

Simon desperately wanting to use it, but needing one more vote or just a go-ahead that nobody wants to give him is really burning up his position. Jordie having to go get the approval from Shonee was funny, Shonee is killing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Fast Luck posted:

Production can't just "keep her in the game" though... it doesn't really work like that?

Not directly, no, but for instance Probst wouldn’t let tribal end until everyone agreed to vote JTia in Cagayan. They can certainly influence the game, but I don’t think AU is nearly as bad as US in this regard.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Episode 4.
I was praying for a non-elim reveal for maximum comedy.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Episode 4.

My wife and I were joking about that and then there was a moment after tribal where the scene lingered just a little too long and for second we thought it was going cut to Rogue reading a sign. Do you think that was a live tribal and Haley actually got saved by that or was it never really going to happen anyway?

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Episode 4.

Ep 5. they totally mixed up the elimination orders, in terms of comedy.

I'm enjoying the mix of very elaborate challenges and simpler games. Not everything has to be a gigantic set piece. Plus, imagine being a PA, spending weeks building one of those huge mazes with elaborate puzzle components, and a team purposely tanking it.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
food rewards spoiler

lol at the frozen pizzas... "how did you guys heat those up"

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Oh my god, episode 7 is completely nuts. This season is great.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Murmur Twin posted:

Oh my god, episode 7 is completely nuts. This season is great.

George is the goat. I would never be friends with that guy irl but god drat dies he make for interesting survivor contestants.

nexous fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 13, 2023

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

nexous posted:

George is the goat. I would never be friends with that guy irl but god drat dies he make for interesting survivor contestants.

This season reminds me of the US heroes vs villains in that the villains tribe feel like the protagonists and the heroes are the obstacle in the way. Except in this case the Boston Rob-like (Simon) is the one with no charisma whatsoever and the Russell-like (George) is somehow root-able

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I don't get at all why Simon was antagonistic toward George from day dot. They had nothing to do with one another on their original season. Hayley and Dani got him, and George wasn't even on his tribe. ??? With the burning of George's hat and the constant stream of nasty comments it really feels sort of deranged. I'm sure George is kind of annoying to be around and that the arrogance, idol tattoo etc can rub people wrong but I dunno!

Some thoughts on this batch of episodes:

* There's so much to write about that e7 TC. I feel bad for Jordie getting burned when I felt like he made the right move to distance himself from Simon. From the edit he's getting I feel like he still has a nice game ahead of him though. Brilliant even if somewhat debatable play by George to split the three remaining villain men in three different directions, pocketing Stevie in the process. I didn't anticipate the vote was gonna be on Fraser and thought George was purely trying to flush Simon's idol, but turns out he devastated those guys even with Simon's "idol" staying in. Kind of a costly move since he spent an idol and could've just taken the Stevie vote that was there for him. Also even if he gained Stevie he pretty much burned Jordie.

* I guess Simon's not-idol was a clue to the idol Shonee found... That seems to be how Ben interpreted his and it did lead to an actual idol, although as a clue it really isn't that strong. Shonee noticed that symbol without having a clue because it's a clear idolish symbol. Weird that both tribes had that idol with the clue disc thing but George randomly found an additional idol also.

* Don't really get Ben's game. Actually I think I actively dislike it. He did all that stuff at Tribal why? To shift the small end of the vote split off the old codger and onto Sharni? Was he actually responsible for that, and if so, what was the point of it? It's weird to recognize the entire hierarchy and then scheme against another player that's at the bottom, especially since he was still playing his idol. And then why not just flip immediately over to the villains at the swap? You just got voted against! Only reason to stick with the heroes is if you think Gerry is a lock to stick with them and they're a solid 50% of the tribe, but instead he was part of the effort to court Gerry to stay with them.

* Good job by the codger Gerry recognizing the heroes didn't give a crap about him and flipping. I didn't love him going back to their tribe at all (and then airing his grievances after doing it) but if it was for Sharni's sake and they then voted out Sharni, yeah, don't be a Ben and stick with those guys. They don't care about you. This should've really been a 5-3 vote against Flick, Paige, and the other guy.

* Good riddance Paige.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

This week has to be one of the strongest three episode runs for Australian Survivor, right? It’s felt a lot stronger than any of the post 40 US seasons for me.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Dugong posted:

This week has to be one of the strongest three episode runs for Australian Survivor, right? It’s felt a lot stronger than any of the post 40 US seasons for me.

I’ve honestly been shocked that more people didn’t post after episode seven in here because I’m pretty sure that was the most I’ve ever enjoyed a tribal council

And yeah I watch US and AU and while both have their pros and cons I personally way prefer AU at this point.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I went into this to watch due to goon recommendations and holy crap this version is so much better. I prefer the social game and this show shows why, the US version mainly focuses on the challenges and every time you get dominated by the superior physical tribes and wonder how they keep on the weaker members of the tribe because the US cuts out most of the social game now and honestly for me that's the most entertaining part, it feels like they're back at camp for maybe an hour then tribal. I love this version because we see all the ends and outs of the social part and the challenges are there but they're not the whole of the episode.

Also spoilers for episode 7:

Holy God what a move by George, I never saw that coming and even with Simon winning immunity, something he's always wanted to do, it gets shattered for his game got destroyed by George and I get why he wants to get out George but his hate boner did him in, and gave George an ally. I'm just in absolute awe of what happened there and that's probably the best tribal I've ever seen.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
ep10:
rip Jeordie. Almost got away with it

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Episode 10 I was really hoping he wouldn't get selfish with that idol and that all the whispering would set them off, I liked Jordie.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Just echoing AU survivor > US survivor. Just finished s08e06 brains v. brawn and my golly gosh!
George george geoooorge!! He literally got an ally to gift him a hidden idol to save his butt and then she got voted out!

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
i would love to play poker against simon, he's almost as dumb as i am

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Ep 11:
i would have loved to see simons poo poo eating grin disappear playing the fake idol for himself, but this might actually cause even more schedenfreud in the end

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

nexous posted:

Ep 11:
i would have loved to see simons poo poo eating grin disappear playing the fake idol for himself, but this might actually cause even more schedenfreud in the end

Well the Ep 12 preview spoiler (obv for ep 11 too)...

Seems that Simon gets called out for giving the fake idol to the Heroes, has to burn the deal he had with the Hero alpha males...

Also George just makes for the best Tribals in Survivor ever.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Last ep

poor Stevie looked crushed

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
drat you Australian pirates give me what I need

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

nexous posted:

drat you Australian pirates give me what I need

I have 20 hours of air travel this Thursday, so I'm saving the last 2 weeks to watch on the plane. I will say the 3 eps a week format is great for that.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Ep 13 spoiler... Feel really bad for Stevie for getting blindsided like that. I think even Jonathan got choked up a bit on the last vote there. Pretty sure he even said sorry while patting Stevie on the back on the way out

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

And the ep 14... Crazy how Simon was so gung-ho to get rid of George all season, and then after merge decides to work with George... Also kind of funny (and maybe sad) there is at least some potential there'd be another Haylee / George final 2 if people don't stop sleeping and wise up...

Although maybe part of me is hoping we'd get the storyline of Nina winning Australian Heroes vs Villains...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

pumped up for school posted:

I have 20 hours of air travel this Thursday, so I'm saving the last 2 weeks to watch on the plane. I will say the 3 eps a week format is great for that.

Honestly with the craziness that Australian Survivor is bringing this season, 1 episode a week would be horrible!

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Ep 15:
really thought Shaun was gonna idol flick seemed very telegraphed based on Shonee and Liz ripping flick apart

6v4 is a much easier position to recover from and using the idol offensively is a pretty big power play.

Although 7v3 and the 7 start to back stab

All in all no idea what I would have done. Season continues to shine. Meanwhile US version starts tomorrow and I’m prepared to be disappointed

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

nexous posted:

Ep 15:
really thought Shaun was gonna idol flick seemed very telegraphed based on Shonee and Liz ripping flick apart

6v4 is a much easier position to recover from and using the idol offensively is a pretty big power play.

Although 7v3 and the 7 start to back stab

All in all no idea what I would have done. Season continues to shine. Meanwhile US version starts tomorrow and I’m prepared to be disappointed

I think it might have been the right call for Shaun to just save his idol for another day. And if he was even thinking of playing it, you'd think they'd put the votes on George or Shonee to break up the power trio instead of just Matt!

I don't think 7v3 is really that bad of a position with an alliance that has a pretty clear pecking order. Simon & Haylee will know they are on the bottom and Haylee at least will know she needs to flip to stay alive.

George's game is quite interesting. You have Matt / Gerry who seem like they might be pretty tight and then Liz / Shonee who are solid and George in the middle.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Ep 16:
not only is George really good, he is really lucky. What a way to blow 2 idols. But I think his luck will run out. It’s 5v4 now

George
Gerry
Matt
Liz
Shonee

Hayley (acting as a double agent)
Shaun
Simon
Nina

Everyone on that beach better be looking for idols 24/7 tomorrow.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I’ve been loving how much this season has parallels to the American HvV storyline.

E16: Oh my god heroes, get your poo poo together - how do you gently caress that up?!? I would be losing my poo poo if I were Haley and I gave them everything they needed to flip the game and that happened.

I can’t imagine it happening but my dream outcome for this season would be Nina (Sandra’s daughter) hanging around as the last person targeted in her alliance, and beating George and Shonee (this games Russell and Parvati) at FTC.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Murmur Twin posted:

I’ve been loving how much this season has parallels to the American HvV storyline.

E16: Oh my god heroes, get your poo poo together - how do you gently caress that up?!? I would be losing my poo poo if I were Haley and I gave them everything they needed to flip the game and that happened.

I can’t imagine it happening but my dream outcome for this season would be Nina (Sandra’s daughter) hanging around as the last person targeted in her alliance, and beating George and Shonee (this games Russell and Parvati) at FTC.

Ep 16 still It's pretty crazy they didn't believe Haylee but I guess they assumed she gave a fake target so they would burn the idol. It would be pretty cool as a whole is Nina managed to make it to the final, but not sure she'd have to make some good moves down the line to get the win.

Also not really spoilery, but Australian Survivor has always been a final 2. Which looks pretty much guaranteed to be a final 2 again this season. With 9 players left and 8 episodes to go, they still have a non-elimination with a final 2.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Murmur Twin posted:

just dreadful. clown poo poo. lmao

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

It’s just unbelievable that we’ve gone from the mess that was Blood vs. Water to this masterpiece of a season.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Dugong posted:

It’s just unbelievable that we’ve gone from the mess that was Blood vs. Water to this masterpiece of a season.

The level of play has been obscene this whole season. There have been so many good moves it's hard to keep track of them.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Ep 16 still It's pretty crazy they didn't believe Haylee but I guess they assumed she gave a fake target so they would burn the idol.
e16 I know Hayley was trying to betray George but honestly she could claim it was a brilliant double bluff if she wanted, as it worked out that perfectly lmao.

I noticed when Sam is begging for Shaun's idol, the whole time Nina is shaking her head "no" behind him. She got absolutely and completely played, totally unintentionally!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Ep 16 still It's pretty crazy they didn't believe Haylee but I guess they assumed she gave a fake target so they would burn the idol. It would be pretty cool as a whole is Nina managed to make it to the final, but not sure she'd have to make some good moves down the line to get the win.

Also not really spoilery, but Australian Survivor has always been a final 2. Which looks pretty much guaranteed to be a final 2 again this season. With 9 players left and 8 episodes to go, they still have a non-elimination with a final 2.

It was a final 3 last season.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

E17
Noooooo!!!!!!!! George killed a main character! Shonee :qq:
George, you were supposed to vote out Danielle, not Parv!

The suspense during that TC was agonizing, not wanting shonee to go, knowing she had an idol, and hoping she’d play it. First TC in a long time where the TC itself was building the anxiety.

Seems like it could be a Zeke/David Wright kind of thing where you know it has to happen but then when it does everything starts caving in. George has a tight 3 but if he’s counting on Hayley being his 4th he could be in big trouble. I’d say Nina keeping Hayley’s Leak secret made George feel comfortable to make this move. It’s probably too soon for Hayley to go directly at George too, but we’ll see.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fast Luck posted:

E17
Noooooo!!!!!!!! George killed a main character! Shonee :qq:
George, you were supposed to vote out Danielle, not Parv!

The suspense during that TC was agonizing, not wanting shonee to go, knowing she had an idol, and hoping she’d play it. First TC in a long time where the TC itself was building the anxiety.

Seems like it could be a Zeke/David Wright kind of thing where you know it has to happen but then when it does everything starts caving in. George has a tight 3 but if he’s counting on Hayley being his 4th he could be in big trouble. I’d say Nina keeping Hayley’s Leak secret made George feel comfortable to make this move. It’s probably too soon for Hayley to go directly at George too, but we’ll see.

More Ep17...

It does feel like a pretty big mistake from George to vote out Shonee there. If he wanted to split the Shiz up I think his chances would have been way better getting rid of Liz instead. But even then I think it was probably too soon to take the shot.

I think George would have a better shot of keeping Shonee on his side than keeping Liz. I feel like Shonee would be upset but respect the gameplay and might still work with George. And Liz was on the Villains post swap with Nina / Shawn so there's potential she will rekindle working with Nina going forward... Possibly keep the HvV winner in the Twine family...

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah, I agree on keeping Shonee over Liz. I think we've seen Liz be more difficult to work with and hold grudges... otoh Shonee might be better at secretly nursing a grudge while Liz might be more readable on whether George still has her or not.

The editors did back George's move up by showing footage of Shiz saying George had to go at 8 which was the very next vote so maybe this was his last chance before they took aim at him. If he can pull through after all this that will be very impressive.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Blood Vs Water had a final 3. Brains vs Brawn was supposed to have a final 3 too but the producers confirmed they scrapped it because of the high amount of injuries.

They thankfully haven't adopted the "fire at final four" horseshit though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Narcissus1916 posted:

Blood Vs Water had a final 3. Brains vs Brawn was supposed to have a final 3 too but the producers confirmed they scrapped it because of the high amount of injuries.

They thankfully haven't adopted the "fire at final four" horseshit though.

Yea I stand corrected on the final 2 vs final 3. Quite possible they will go with the final 3 this season if they do some twist to keep enough players in the game for it!