Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Finale spoilers.

Happy that Liz one, she definitely killed the final tribal and a deserving winner after taking George out. I think if George had made it to the final 3 and won the season after just being the dominate player the whole season would have been kind of lovely, in one of the ways Redemption Island is lovely.

One of the better Survivor seasons the game has ever seen.

Agree with this take. Haley’s sign-off summed it up for me. In a season of returnees where one tribe got decimated pre merge and there was a gender imbalance come merge, it felt poetic to have a woman, first-time player, and a Villain win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Personally would have been far more satisfied with a George win after he dominated the season. I wasn't super impressed by Liz during this game and her biggest "non-George" moves of saving Flick immediately backfired, but what can you do. I listened to George's exit interview and he echoed two things I'd been thinking, which are that 1) he thinks he wins the game if Matt (or he) wins that immunity. Gerry 100% would've voted Liz if he could, and George at the very least gets fire against Liz which he believes he would have won. 2) He said he likely would've voted Matt out over Nina if the F2 hadn't been a surprise. I do think the players should be in the know on what the end game scenario is going to be earlier. Last time I ran a game I spilled that it was a F3 at 7.

I really like that Aus Survivor lets the players play though, and George losing after coming tantalizingly close to the end, even if it's a bummer for me, is part of the game. I think it would've been nice if after the game was over and Liz won they let Shonee come back in :shobon: It was pretty cool seeing Cara as George's loved one. The lack of twists letting this game breathe makes it far better than the current US version, but having two non-elims down the stretch really did slow down the momentum quite a bit. I still think they could do a little better with these, like if they "need" the extra episodes at least space the non-elims apart better, weigh them more toward the pre-merge (or even just cast more players!).

So much great content came from this season, though, it's still an all-timer for me. You've got the e7 tribal, you've got lines like "I don't think God likes Paige," just so much gold all season long. I'm gonna miss it!!!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

you've got lines like "I don't think God likes Paige,

which, hey, turns out Rogue was right about this one at least.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

One thing for sure, I can't wait till au survivors next season 🐢

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
A really good season overall. Given the players left at the end I was pretty happy with the outcome. I was starting to worry that everyone's plan, Liz included, was to actually take George to the end. He would have been a fine winner but it wouldn't have been fun to watch

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hello all! We are less than a month out from Australian Survivor: Titans Vs Rebels. Probably another Champions Vs. Contenders. But it's a new season with all new players!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHJ08Z7CtkY

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The premiere for Titans Vs Rebels is set for January 29th! 1 week away!

Full cast info from the 10play website. There is also a YouTube channel called MUD Survivor with cast bios, but also has a random preview video with potential post swap spoilers.

https://10play.com.au/australian-survivor/articles/australian-survivor-2024-titans-v-rebels-meet-the-full-cast/tpa240117hrnue

Titans Tribe

Rebels Tribe

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Rooting for the guy who looks like Anthony Bourdain's ghost

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

This'll be my first live season of AU since catching up with the series; hopefully it won't be weird following this and US at the same time. As usual, the theme seems pretty nebulous. Titans include a midwife and a dancer, Rebels include an AFLW coach and a literal retail cop.

I'll be pulling for frogman-Jeff-Bezos until he gets voted off in episode 3.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Got to pull for the competitive eater to at least get to the 1 at a time style food reward...

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

I’m rooting for the woman wearing pink crocs. She knows that’s the footwear of icons like Shonee.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

whoa plenty of crocs this season :o

i'm going to go with the socks and sandals combo on the blue tribe. big hat, socks and sandals. sorry, jandals*. sorry, thongs*.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

1st episode live, season starting off pretty strong so far.

And with the spoilers of 1st episode.

Kind of what you'd expect getting 12 "titans" & leaders of poo poo together. Unable to work together to win challenges or build shelter. Also first tribal, first blindside is going to be a fun season.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I know it's standard for Australian Survivor but eyecandy is nice this season. Feras and Viola are attractive, and unlike most previous AU eyecandy, aren't white.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

s11e02 (current season) gosh darn it i was hoping the neurotic academic would stay in. she provided a good counterpoint to all the easy going players : p ah well, that's survivor for you, always eliminating to revert to the mean garghhh. fun intense challenge, i forgot how physical the australian survivor challenges are. hopefully without much injury to player!

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Australian Survivor is top tier Survivor for me. The first two episodes have been great. Someone needs to force Jeff to sit down and watch some seasons.

Also is Shonee a producer now? It feels like most of the cast have a pair of crocs.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Episode 3... Interesting both tribes have went the same route against the strong 3 or 4 member alliance that thought they were sitting strong and blindsided one of the girls in it. Also love Peta's exit interview about the "minority" alliance rising up...

Also funny having them fight for a food basket reward and just having it be canned food.

Not really a spoiler, but already seeing lots of players with bandages and Mark had a bandage on the back of his head in the reward challenge.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

s11e03 oh how sweet thou edit. i was hating the pretty ppl clique more and more and then ahhh the pay off. also, alex said something at tribal that really riled me up, like i don't remember what he said but he was a total douchebag and awful person in that moment so yes good hell yeah.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Dugong posted:

Australian Survivor is top tier Survivor for me. The first two episodes have been great. Someone needs to force Jeff to sit down and watch some seasons.

Especially with a whole new cast, top tier reality tv. Returning players are ok but more likely to see production interference.

Lampsacus posted:

s11e03 oh how sweet thou edit. i was hating the pretty ppl clique more and more and then ahhh the pay off. also, alex said something at tribal that really riled me up, like i don't remember what he said but he was a total douchebag and awful person in that moment so yes good hell yeah.

how do you throw this early? It's the unmitigated gall for me

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
e4: Haha holy poo poo, I did not see that ending coming. Kelli's explanation of her vote (after portraying her as clueless the whole episode) was a great swerve.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Murmur Twin posted:

e4: Haha holy poo poo, I did not see that ending coming. Kelli's explanation of her vote (after portraying her as clueless the whole episode) was a great swerve.

Kelli has some Carolyn energy from US 44... She's a little nutty and doesn't have much of a filter for what she does or says. But also seems to understand the strategy to the game also.

Also had to be the nail in the coffin to just tell someone you don't need to chat before tribal.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Busting nut after nut...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Episode 5 spoilers. At least we got the 1st of the non elimination episodes out of the way. We all know they are coming at this point. Maybe one of the worst ones in recent seasons with such a strong plan in place with Feras and Kirby targeting each other. Sending Kelli to the Titans to sabotage the immunity challenge...

And then the Episode 6. Kelli sits out of the immunity challenge she's supposed to sabotage, Rebels win anyway...

Interesting that instead of waiting to get the key to the treasure box, Mark seems to just rip it apart to get to the idol inside, not sure how that plays out in the game. Also interesting how open Mark is about having 2 alliances, at least with Viola & Valeria and they seem cool with it.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

And then the Episode 6. Kelli sits out of the immunity challenge she's supposed to sabotage, Rebels win anyway...

Interesting that instead of waiting to get the key to the treasure box, Mark seems to just rip it apart to get to the idol inside, not sure how that plays out in the game. Also interesting how open Mark is about having 2 alliances, at least with Viola & Valeria and they seem cool with it.

E6: Yeah I am very confused that production allowed Mark to break open the box. It felt so odd to watch after seeing however many of seasons of people follow idol clues to the letter.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'm gonna do something one of y'all did in the Genius/Devil's Plan thread and just drop some live thoughts I have watching the episodes. I'm watching eps 1-3 so I'm behind so I'll just put it in spoiler tags to be easily ignored, hopefully I catch up within a week although eps come out so fast it won't be easy!

e1
Feras: I AM A GENIUS. I work in HR.

Kelli to confessional: No one will ever know I am a psychologist
Kelli: I support mental health

Frankie: We're not ready for the fire yet
Nathan: Ehh I'm good (lights the fire)

This made me think Frankie would hate Nathan but apparently they're getting on great. Nathan already knows everyone's names which seems to bode well for him even though Frankie is getting the big puppet master package.

nice move by Eden to pull in Mark and be like "He's a diplomat, he'll want to organize this vote"

How many cuts to Nathan, Frankie, and Jaden in the water are we gonna get??

wait i keep trying to count on my fingers what the numbers were. If V and V didn't go along with this vote I guess it would've been 6-6 so they did need them... jeez 24 player season. Anyway then not sure how Wenna managed to be left out of this, Mark was leading it and even had the Thai connection with him. Wenna must be totally out in left field.

If I was buying stock after e1 I would buy it in Eden.

e2
Ooh a named duo for Mark and Eden. Did we always have pop culture nerds like Eden, I thought nerds were supposed to be into science or taxonomy or cult media, not just dropping quotes from the biggest mass appeal hits ever. The redditication of nerdom. comic books into marvel movies, steven fishbach quoting poets into eden quoting Gladiator.

surprised this tug of war with jaden lasted so long. Jaden literally pulls trucks and stuff as a strongman right? Oh well I guess he did win.

Anyway so wenna got an idol in a banana sort of, just by random. Do I actually like that more than just giving it to whoever hunts the hardest in the woods? I don't know, maybe...

Lmao Jaden and Viola lose the holding coconuts challenge. Wtf does being professionally strong even mean if you go losing contests of strength to lay people.

So funny for it to go from Eden saying "let's let Jess throw out a name" to Jess going "Eden," very good stuff.

interesting call from Mark to decide not to tell Eden his name was up, feel like someone else is def gonna tell him at some point! If Mark is so scared of Eden's reactions I'm surprised he views Eden as such an important ally that he must protect. Feels like this tribe is fairly balanced now in terms of power, lots of little clusters, with Mark sitting at the top seat.

How quickly Jess went from nervous and a feeling out of her element to completely feeling herself. Beautiful

dang that's a lot of split votes onto Nathan who was going to feel really good about this vote otherwise.

e3
pulling kitty and caroline into a formal foursome is a big development for the Titans. That's 4/10 of the tribe and probably undercover enough to make them all safe until then next shakeup.

Kirby(?) about the undercover cop: "Garrick, he's an observer, so he'll just sit back and sus everyone out." They're making Kirby look pretty smart. I still don't know who these Rebels are, they got purpled the first 2 eps.

first "come on Aileen." garrick the undercover cop catches them throwing

funny we're getting the exact same story in this tribe as in the other. a minority of the fittest people assuming they can dictate the vote.

kirby getting a little cute pretending to be with the cuddle alliance on the vote. Won't the people actually voting peta be a little perturbed that theyre being made to take all the blame for it while kirby lies and wriggles away?

lol alex "Hey if you have an idol, if youre sitting here with an idol, whip it out and play it i'd say PETA" Faris really set them off. and she still doesn't play it, oof. This TC delivered

Septimius
Aug 23, 2006

Some hero has put episodes on youtube, I assume with production's permission of course.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Septimius posted:

Some hero has put episodes on youtube, I assume with production's permission of course.

Episodes are free to stream on 10play.com.au if you have a VPN. NordVPN has been working fine with it for me when the high seas sites have been slow to get the new episodes up. Also ublock origins is blocking the ads so it's all nice!

I figure it's probably better overall to watch it on 10play's website since it'll give them more viewers and more incentive to keep making the better Survivor.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Not all of us can afford a VPN!

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

Australian Survivor is so refreshing compared to modern US Survivor. It's like a glimpse into an alternate universe of Survivor where nobody cares about political correctness. I hate to say that but it's true. Australians seem to be having a lot more fun as well, and are generally better at Survivor strategy compared to US counterparts. Don't think I've seen anyone quit in any of their seasons, though there have been plenty of ejections due to injury (pre-merge, the challenges are way more physical/strength-based and frankly dangerous). No twists that require a paragraph of explanation, just good old fashioned idols and tribal council surprises. The last 5+? seasons have all been amazing throughout. It makes it difficult for me to watch US Survivor without feeling extremely critical. Like literally just do Aus Survivor but with Jeff and Americans instead of Australians.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
Episode 9
I had such hopes for Mark. Funny to see him fumbling and mumbling explaining himself to Caroline but getting emotional and going for revenge the next vote that's like such newb poo poo. Not to mention the worthless idol play.

Can anyone just listen to Aileen for once in their god drat life? Stay rebel strong and if not that play the idol for G. Everyone underestimates the slog that is Australian survivor and wants to make big moves early and often. You're going to be here a while and you'll probably want those og whatevers post merge. RIP Anthony Bourdain part 2

Random mid-season winner guess:
. Val .

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Kicked Throat posted:

Episode 9
I had such hopes for Mark. Funny to see him fumbling and mumbling explaining himself to Caroline but getting emotional and going for revenge the next vote that's like such newb poo poo. Not to mention the worthless idol play.

Can anyone just listen to Aileen for once in their god drat life? Stay rebel strong and if not that play the idol for G. Everyone underestimates the slog that is Australian survivor and wants to make big moves early and often. You're going to be here a while and you'll probably want those og whatevers post merge. RIP Anthony Bourdain part 2

Random mid-season winner guess:
. Val .

Guess really ep 7-9 spoilers here.

Yea, was a real bad week / 3 episodes for Mark. He's looked terrible every episode. Ep. 7 one of his 2 closest allies gets voted out, Ep 8 he throws away his idol and then Ep 9 we get him crawling back trying to his missed target.

and then just the 9 spoiler. It's quite interesting how solid a read they showed from both Aileen and Garrick for the vote.

Also interesting to me that at the start of the season the Titans & Rebels voted pretty similarly with targeting the minority "cool" people alliances. And now post tribe swap, they are again following the same basic strategy with the OG Rebel / Titan majority splitting up instead of sticking strong.

Also I laughed a bit at the tribes putting up Chilli for the spelling challenge, but turns out that is the correct way to spell Chili in Australia and UK...

Not a spoiler for any results but I really love the tribal endurance challenges that Australian Survivor likes to run.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also I laughed a bit at the tribes putting up Chilli for the spelling challenge, but turns out that is the correct way to spell Chili in Australia and UK...

Spelling it Chilli and the dodgeball immunity where two people threw a ball two handed over their head really highlight the immense cultural divide between US and Australia imho

Septimius
Aug 23, 2006

Episode 9, but almost any episode really what does blindside even mean anymore? To be voted out when you know you're being voted out, what a shock!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

that e5 scene where kirby's eyeing Alex and giving shush motions while he just stands there considering whether he'll spill to Feras and then he drops the bomb right before Kelli arrives... cut to Feras's death stare and then the Australian Survivor logo & commercial. one of the best scenes in a long long time.

e6
Kirby: "from this point on i dont trust faris" lol you juts tried to vote him out last night, what do you expect! she'd be really good at the game if she wasn't overplaying so hard. She's at fault for everything from the very beginning.

wait how did Mark open the chest without the key...

lol kelli sitting out the sabotage challenge. Not even surprising she lets them down. First it's fair since she didn't want to go and they made her, but second what do they expect with her?

e8
Wow sarah and ri really had trouble getting it through their heads that caroline and kitty had turned on them. Sarah just a total pure soul lost in this game, Ri still blowing it after EVERYTHING but good on kitty/caroline for having them so reeled in. Thing is I agreed with Kitty that Mark shouldn't be turning on them that soon. When he mentioned not reacting rashly and getting revenge, I thought he was talking Natalie Anderson style like get them down the line, not immediately. so now his plan doesn't work AND he spent the idol... oooof. Mark got so lucky that Kitty didn't believe Sarah and Ri the first time they ratted and still doubled down! but even with Ri choking it still would've been Caroline I think if not for the audible by Eden to cancel the split? This sure was an episode.

e9 Early on here i see caroline talking about working again with Mark. reconciliations in these games are so so hard, just look at Kirby and Feras for an example. It'd be cool if they can get back together for awhile. wowwww another intense tribal aggh the idol no-play. this season is bringing it intensely. lol the decision just comes down to Faris's side having 1 more person, but maybe that could have been anticipated.

btw way back when Faris got the first idol from the chest... didn't they pull two idols out of it or did I imagine that? I thought Garrick got one too and then it was just never mentioned again.

Hopefully I'm caught up and can keep up now and not post into the void like this anymore.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

e10!!! :mad: seems so unfair everyone thinks they can't work with Feras when Kirby is objectively the untrustworthy one. All episode I was rooting for Feras and Aileen to pull something out

and then we get to that twist, and ugh... not like that. That's just plainly capricious, and unfair. This goes up there with that BvB twist where some challenge winners got to make fire and then the first to make fire got the sole vote to eliminate a player. Just haphazard and nonsensical! I thought the new EP's philosophy was conservative and against this goofy sort of twist.

It did make for some good tension and idol roulette and it was fun seeing Wenna try to draw votes on him. (omg I did not think of the vote split ahead of time. automatic W, well done to think of it by Aileen. And this on the back of that Kelli vote last TC, she's clever) the TV product panned out but ugh not a fan. I liked Charles's final words that are just like "the survivor gods werent with me tonight, it just so happened that there was a twist."

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012
That most recent episode (episode 12) was genuinely hilarious, everything on the beach at the start was like a scene from The White Lotus or something. Just incredible stuff, was great after a couple of annoying twists

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

e12 I have no idea why Kirby and co alienated Kelli so hard by insisting on a Ray vote, acting like Kelli was dumb and talking down to her for not to wanting to cut her friend. I mean, I like Aileen, but why couldn't they just vote Aileen? They were going to do that last time. Why was it suddenly so important for it to be Ray? Once Kirby and pals have fully lost Kelli I do think it made sense for them to vote her out, but then they can't help but get into it with her again during TC, undermining their own idol flushing plan. I do think it's dangerous to keep bringing a player like Kelli along, but they just messed up a lot along the way.

I'm also not sure why Kelli never properly joined the other side, which would've given them the numbers. Shouldn't Raymond have been advocating for that? Only thing I can think of is that Alex is always voting Kelli if she's an option, keeping them from actually having the numbers... not sure. We very conspicuously never got anything from Raymond on what he thought of Kelli. Based on him randomly savaging Aileen in that one confessional, maybe he was trashing her and they didn't want to show that. He sure didn't seem to be looking too hard for the idol.

Anyway, bad play can be fun to watch, and somehow we have so many of the interesting characters making it through to merge. Very fun stuff.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Still catching up, a week behind at this point. Just finished 7-9.

Whoof, episode 8 was hard to watch, especially given that I've been rooting for ...Mark... this whole time. I think it's on him that he tried to push the vote home after the first time Rhi and Sara sold him out.

Wasn't exactly thrilled with the way 9 went either, mostly because I think Kirby is getting really lucky despite not playing particularly well. I don't think I'd like to see her win, but I am all in on Aileen at this point. Someone listen to that poor woman.

Also:

Fast Luck posted:

btw way back when Faris got the first idol from the chest... didn't they pull two idols out of it or did I imagine that? I thought Garrick got one too and then it was just never mentioned again.

I thought this too! Anyone know what's up, or is it explained in episode 10 or something?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It never gets mentioned again. I thought I'd made it up but I guess it really happened!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

e10!!! :mad: seems so unfair everyone thinks they can't work with Feras when Kirby is objectively the untrustworthy one. All episode I was rooting for Feras and Aileen to pull something out

and then we get to that twist, and ugh... not like that. That's just plainly capricious, and unfair. This goes up there with that BvB twist where some challenge winners got to make fire and then the first to make fire got the sole vote to eliminate a player. Just haphazard and nonsensical! I thought the new EP's philosophy was conservative and against this goofy sort of twist.

It did make for some good tension and idol roulette and it was fun seeing Wenna try to draw votes on him. (omg I did not think of the vote split ahead of time. automatic W, well done to think of it by Aileen. And this on the back of that Kelli vote last TC, she's clever) the TV product panned out but ugh not a fan. I liked Charles's final words that are just like "the survivor gods werent with me tonight, it just so happened that there was a twist."

drat yeah, just watched this. I like everything that happened - the challenge, the vote split, the attempt to sucker votes, the idol play, and who ended up safe - EXCEPT for the fact that it happened on Survivor.