Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ferric and nitric bowls are looking nice! How's this alloy react to heat patinas? Asking since I just love heat patinas on copper. Could you throw idk a drink can or something for scale? Are you okay with letting us know what the casting/shipping costs were?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DC to Daylight posted:

Most of my heat patina experience comes from soldering pipe. You know how with a moderate amount of heat, you get pinkish copper (I) oxide, then if you cook the poo poo out of it, you get black copper (II) oxide? In the oven, these took on a pink Cu2O appearance. For the bowl treated with LoS, the black remained black in the oven (though it burns off/gets oxidized readily with the torch if you aren't careful).

However, the heat patina had a some swirly iridescence I didn't care for. Could have been surface contaminants, but it really looked like thin film interference, like an oil slick. As an experiment, I may put one of the bowls I'm going to sand anyway into the oven again to see what happens. Pink would be cool, greasy swirls, not so much.

Like this? Thats my favourite part of heat coloring copper, they end up looking like soap bubbles all over, if I didnt screw up the heating!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DC to Daylight posted:

Yeah - like the top photo in the warm colored areas. There wasn't much blue. The effect was kind of neat on the one with LoS in the low spots, but I think repeatability would be difficult and too much heat burns off the sulfide.

Neat work - is the top one a blade? I like the cat medallion too and I'm not even a cat guy.

Top one was just a shot I grabbed off google image search as a better demo. The cat medal is my own hammered metal work though! And yeah, repeatability is an absolute nightmare for heated metal patinas. I have to stop applying heat before it reaches the right color because it'll still keep developing even after the torch is turned off, and dunking it in water to stop that doesnt work because it risks just shocking all the patina off the metal. I still wasnt satisfied with the look so I went back and torched it til it was black from oxides, then wire brushed the high points off and went with a gold-red heat patina on the re-exposed parts:

I wanted more of the color play across the surface but temperature and color control is finicky. Also as a bit of an experiment, I couldnt find anyone who'd admit to using black flame oxides as a surface treatment for copper, and I had no idea about its durability. Gave it a renwax coat and I guess we'll see how it turns out in time.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 29, 2021

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was looking for a durable way to seal patinas, thanks for bringing up that lacquer. Lets hope its not too expens

what

edit:
Thanks!
vvvvv

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 31, 2021

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Should be interesting seeing how it comes out different from the other copper salt bowl!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Interesting. Much more muted than I usually see, but I work on tiny pieces. Given the mass on yours I suppose all the heat would try spread out pretty evenly, except for where you had it sitting on the oven rack. Those lines baked into the base. :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

weird. that pink coral color is usually typical of in progress copper pieces that I've pickled. Wonder if the interactions are doing something similar. It looks like the copper is being cleaned somehow.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 6, 2021

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DC to Daylight posted:

What do you pickle with?

Another possibility is this is a reduction of copper (II) oxide (black color) to copper (I) oxide (reddish), but that doesn't seem right to me. I don't know exactly what was on the surface, but since it unfortunately didn't cling to the metal, its rather moot. The weather is nice, so I'm going to try the copper nitrate if I get the time today.

Just jewellers safety pickle, it strips back oxides and surfaces a little leaving a clean, slightly porous surface to work with. Silver for example turns pretty much white, copper salmon pink like what you showed.

That black and blue surface is crazy, love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pat and Tina did what?

Thanks for the writeup, I learned a lot!