Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Also I really dig how long the Andrade vs. Death Triangle stuff was and how it just swapped between languages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Danielson vs Ryan Nemeth

Danielson vs Pretty Peter

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

I loved the Nyla/Britt match, personally

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I really enjoyed Nyla v. Britt did people nott like it?

It wasn’t a classic but it was a pretty awesome TV championship match. The ref botch was weird but it moved past it quickly

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

Also I really dig how long the Andrade vs. Death Triangle stuff was and how it just swapped between languages.

As great as Alex is, I'm not sure he was needed, especially with Fenix miming what Penta was saying. If you're familiar with basically any of the Romance languages, it's pretty clear what he was saying and his delivery does the rest.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

think i'm a wrestling fan

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Eat My Fuc posted:

It wasn’t a classic but it was a pretty awesome TV championship match. The ref botch was weird but it moved past it quickly

thought it was mostly sloppy & lovely but it really doesnt bother me that much. it got to where it needed to and the crowd was hollerin about it.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Ruled: Archer winning and that match in general, Death Triangle vs Andrade bi-lingual promo, PNP promo, Yuta's duster.

Drooled: Britt and Nyla sloppin' around, Shawn Spears, commentary had kind of an off night, Yuta's dirty tights.

I'm hoping we get something new in the Kenny/Page drama besides Page interrupts Kenny, Dark Order makes the save, repeat.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Helicity posted:

I'm hoping we get something new in the Kenny/Page drama besides Page interrupts Kenny, Dark Order makes the save, repeat.

well the 5 on 5 is next week so i think youre in luck

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

neoaxd posted:

That's what I was wondering about.
Does Tony ask if he can change the title and they sign off on it, or did NJPW call em and say "put that belt on Archer"?

I would guess at some point he probably hashed out what his ideas for the belt were with someone from the New Japan booking team (probably Rocky), it went through Gedo, Gedo said “I like it!” and NJPW gave him the approval to run the booking he came up with, with New Japan asking that they try to keep challengers to guys either currently tied to or with strong pasts with New Japan and to book the belt strongly as it’s their co-secondary title alongside the NEVER belt now.

I have to imagine Archer will suddenly be added to the NJPW Resurgence card on August 14th, defend the belt there, carry it around on Dynamite for a bit, defend it every so often, and either fly over for the Wrestle Grand Slam show in September, Power Struggle in November, or just holds onto it until the Dome in January and drops it to Cobb on a New Japan show.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I can't imagine not liking Spears after that match. Alien to me.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
I didn't understand last week why some people were throwing shade at Yuka and Penelope when it was a solid, fun, if not remarkable match.

Britt and Nyla, well... I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt during the tag match, but clearly their styles do not compliment each other and hopefully we can quietly move on from this.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Amelia Watson is All Elite
Subaru was mentioned and her own innovated move used in NJPW

What a world we live in

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Auritech posted:

I didn't understand last week why some people were throwing shade at Yuka and Penelope when it was a solid, fun, if not remarkable match.

Britt and Nyla, well... I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt during the tag match, but clearly their styles do not compliment each other and hopefully we can quietly move on from this.

Quietly move on from what? The angle is over. Nyla had her shot and lost so she goes to the back of the line.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Vince MechMahon posted:

Quietly move on from what? The angle is over. Nyla had her shot and lost so she goes to the back of the line.

quietly move on from the fact the match was not good

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

That show was great and I loved it more than I love some members of my family.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Auritech posted:

quietly move on from the fact the match was not good

Again, quietly move on from what? It's over. It is an ex-angle.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

Idk, it was a bad match on a technical level but got over and that's the real metric. It was fine! Britt does better when she's got some spectacle to hide behind and Nyla is just missing something. Not to mention the weirdness of the match where it's a heel everyone loves to cheer and a face who's presented as the more dominant wrestler.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The Britt/Nyla match wasn't bad, I just think they don't have great ring chemistry. Nyla gasses sometimes and Britt's transitions aren't great, so the moves in between the big ones are often slow or awkward. They've both had great matches with others, but they don't seem to mesh all that well with each other.

I'm really hoping Death Triangle sticks together and Andrade just brings in two more flippy bois. DT has had so much bad luck preventing all 3 from appearing together, so I'd like to see an actual strong run for them while everyone's present and healthy before thinking about changing the dynamic.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

I'm really glad they put the title on Britt. She's one of the best personalities in AEW, over as gently caress and her segments are all great. But match-wise this ain't going to be Shida 2.0. Thankfully it doesn't have to be because of how awesome she is at everything else but I'm probably going to be just as happy when or if they move the title over to Thunder Rosa or Serena Deeb

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Like yeah it wasn't a great match but it wasn't some deeply embarrassing thing that AEW needs to memory hole or whatever. It was a 2 star match that the crowd was into and had a great finish. It was fine. Weird reactions to it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I liked Britt/Nyla more than most people I think, but I have a pretty high tolerance for sloppiness in matches, and I'm a HUGE fan of Britt adding more technical aspects to her moveset.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Doctor Baker is going to benefit from AEW's hot crowds in a way Hikaru Shida didn't have too (because she was good enough technically to carry the belt during the pandemic).

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Pylons posted:

I liked Britt/Nyla more than most people I think, but I have a pretty high tolerance for sloppiness in matches, and I'm a HUGE fan of Britt adding more technical aspects to her moveset.

and, yeah, this is where I'm coming from.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gumball Gumption posted:

Idk, it was a bad match on a technical level but got over and that's the real metric. It was fine! Britt does better when she's got some spectacle to hide behind and Nyla is just missing something. Not to mention the weirdness of the match where it's a heel everyone loves to cheer and a face who's presented as the more dominant wrestler.

Pretty much my thoughts, although I enjoyed it as a match. I'm willing to overlook some sloppy execution if a match is hard-hitting and generally makes sense, and the hot crowd helped it a lot.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pylons posted:

I thought it was slow and sloppy at parts but the highs were really high, and that made it a match I enjoyed watching.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Vince MechMahon posted:

I can't imagine not liking Spears after that match. Alien to me.

Most of the Cody and Inner Circle/Pinnacle stuff just falls flat for me. Which is cool, because AEW has multiple styles of wrestling stories and wrestling. And even though I don't consider Spears one of my favorites, he's fine. AEW's worst parts are "it's ok", which is a pretty good position to be in.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Vince MechMahon posted:

Again, quietly move on from what? It's over. It is an ex-angle.

i don't know what you're angling at, dude

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Helicity posted:

Most of the Cody and Inner Circle/Pinnacle stuff just falls flat for me. Which is cool, because AEW has multiple styles of wrestling stories and wrestling. And even though I don't consider Spears one of my favorites, he's fine. AEW's worst parts are "it's ok", which is a pretty good position to be in.

What about when he makes the cum face after using a chair though?

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Trip report for the show.

- Had the worst person next to us heckling most of the show. A little kid yelled "nobody likes you" at him during OC/Blade.

- Most of the matches were fun, even though Gallows/Kaz and Baker/Rose were a bit disappointing.

- But that didn't matter because Baker was probably the most loved person out there.

- I tripped in the lobby and thought I was going to die because the barrier to a 30 foot drop was clear plexiglass.

- The crowd was pretty split between Mox and Archer, but the match slapped and everyone dug the ending.

Spiggy fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 22, 2021

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Match was sloppy, had a couple great moments, the crowd was loving HOT for it. Not every match needs to be a technical marvel. Sometimes it should look like a messy fight because that’s what it’s supposed to be.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Auritech posted:

i don't know what you're angling at, dude

i wouldnt worry about it. nobody really knows

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

yea ok posted:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Vince MechMahon posted:

What about when he makes the cum face after using a chair though?

Can't say I've noticed it. I'll go watch the match again.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
One other thing worth mentioning is that if Chavo sticks around, he's got a lot of upside aside from just being Andrade's mouthpiece. In Lucha Underground, he was a wrestler at first but primarily moved into a backstage coach/agent position in the later seasons and was reportedly pretty good at that. And has experience working with a good chunk of AEW's roster in that role.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Chavo also did all training for GLOW, I think.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

yea ok posted:

Fair. I did elaborate in another post so I was gonna not reply but: I don't get why they think we need to memory hole what was essentially a 2 star match. "Quietly moving on" really implies it was embarrassingly bad or something and I think that's a really weird exaggeration. I apologise for being unclear and if I'm reading too much into it.

Helicity posted:

Can't say I've noticed it. I'll go watch the match again.

Ha ha, they got some clear, lingering shots both times he did it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hmm, does AEW make Chavo good? I honestly believe in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

chavo is a carny through and through but i did have to laugh when the redneck yokels in dallas got mad at him making fun of pac for only knowing english, and him trying to babyface himself again. you could tell he was hyped out of his gourd to be doing crap on tv though