Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gumball Gumption posted:

Idk, it was a bad match on a technical level but got over and that's the real metric. It was fine! Britt does better when she's got some spectacle to hide behind and Nyla is just missing something. Not to mention the weirdness of the match where it's a heel everyone loves to cheer and a face who's presented as the more dominant wrestler.

Pretty much my thoughts, although I enjoyed it as a match. I'm willing to overlook some sloppy execution if a match is hard-hitting and generally makes sense, and the hot crowd helped it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I’m very into the implication that Andrade’s going to have to have a tag team that “works for him” now that the Lucha Bros have turned him down and he’s gone and gotten himself in a trios match with Death Triangle. Absent a debut of someone like Rush/Ryu Lee, I wouldn’t hate them getting weird with it and trading out TH2’s neon for suits.

Better yet, neon suits.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Also the Jericho/Spears match itself was much better than it had any right to be.

Much like the OC/Blade match, it told a very clear and simple story that both guys could pull off. Jericho matches are slower than the AEW standard, but different match speeds are a good thing and he still has good ring psychology.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I also really liked the largely untranslated Spanish segment between the Lucha Bros and Andrade. I don't speak Spanish, but through everyone's body language and vocal intonation (and decades of watching wrestling promo segments), I didn't feel lost and had a decent idea of what was being said. I think it's good for wrestling to hear different languages on TV in non-comedy segments anyway, and in particular Penta and Andrade are great ambassadors for that because they're so slick.

Also MDK all fuckin' day

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MorningMoon posted:

D-diamante and Swole are having a feud in Dark. M-maybe there'll be time for women storylines on tv at Rampage.

Maybe. :ohdear:

There's been some buzz that the women's division is excited about Rampage for that very reason, so I'm allowing myself some cautious optimism.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I cannot wait for Evil Stepmom Emi's in-person response to Abadon.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Pylons posted:

I'll lose my poo poo if Tony somehow brings in Ciclope.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

but they seem to be taking a lot of care to do things slowly and not just put people out there in death spots.

This is AEW's approach to a lot of their booking. With the exception of the Nightmare Collective and maybe the Allie/Bunny transformations, AEW doesn't make abrupt changes. They try to organically move things in new directions if the current thing isn't working and pull the trigger on changes when they make sense.

I'd like to see more women's storylines too, but there are multiple acknowledged rivalries in the division now and that's definitely a step forward.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Mr. Squishy posted:

The window for Shida to achieve her dream of cutting a promo in front of a live crowd is possibly closing.

She already did. It got interrupted by Britt, but she cut a live promo when they revealed the new women's title belt on the Dynamite before the last PPV.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

DeathChicken posted:

I think the only person to ever be DQed in AEW was Pac during the Iron Man match with Kenny

Cutler and Avalon had a double-DQ finish leading up to their big Dark match.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Mr. Squishy posted:

And Cutler was counted out earlier in his losing streak against Nakazawa. That's Dark for you.

If we're counting the women's title tournament, Aja Kong lost by countout. Clever finish, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

DogsInSpace! posted:

Malakai Black has a ton of nerd energy he wants to give but Jake has enough talent and credentials that he can take this "young guy's" ideas and help refine them. Garth Marenghi Black was fun but Jake can help make this guy legit scary. Seriously, nobody can do quiet menace like the Snake. That and this will help Jake as well, since he can be a positive influence and leave a lasting impression on the world he devoted his life to. Really feel good moment and I hope poo poo like this keeps the old vets happy. Would be nice to see Jake the Snake have some peace for a chance. If only Brodie got more time...

It can't be stressed enough that no wrestling company before AEW has had access to a sober Jake Roberts. He has a lot of knowledge and he's finally stable enough to dispense it properly.