Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
He;s actually an attacker I bet, two big cannons screams dps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
True, but he got that shell and so I feel like I could see some 'all-rounder' energy. I also wonder if certain pokemon are excluded for consideration since they're field enemies. A bit of a bummer we may never get to be Ludicolo.

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

Endorph posted:

Crustle can even lower theirs

well now i hate that 5 year old even more knowing this. get good kid

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

i gotta say i really, really like the selection of pokemon they have so far, i'm really glad it's not just the popular ones. like even though you have your lucarios and pikachus you can also play as a dumb walking bird that likes to eat or whatever an eldegoss is. pretty cool and varied and i'm excited to see what else comes through

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Pretty sure if they didn't include Greninja, Charizard, Gengar, Lucario and Pikachu there would've been a riot. But yes, a good variety. Like I said in another thread I didn't even know Zeraora was a Pokemon and had thought it was a Pokemon Unite original at first.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I know that a lot of people are coming into this having never played a moba before the amount of people that don't understand how important map objectives are is killing me and I wish there was a better way to communicate to them that 'HEY DON'T LET THE OTHER TEAM GET ZAPDOS WHY ARE Y'ALL loving AROUND ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MAP oh okay that's game'. :negative:

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Zapdos is WILD. Like, really the first 8 minutes almost don't matter if someone does a proper Zapdos play.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
That's not always necessarily true, sometimes it's better to just stop a team from getting zapdos for a minute then actually grabbing it yourself, especially if it's even or in the lead, that said whoever snipes Zapdos majorly swings the game, it is by far the most important team fight.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I didn't realize how important it was to me to have a MOBA that wasn't all "Vaguely humanoid character" Having a bunch of monsters with radically different silhouettes and visual design makes it extremely interesting to play.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Not seeing the score is a bizarre mechanic. I get why (to avoid rage quit and keep you playing) but it makes it very hard to know if you should defend or try to score. I just lost a game that said "we are significantly in the lead or whatever", no one went for Zapdos so we just sort of defended. We lost a skirmish up top with just a few seconds left and we ended up losing by 100. It was nuts. I think they maybe none of our opponents dunked the entire game, and quickly scored like 200 points?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Oh wait you didn't say you got hit by Zapdos, yeah if you lost a skirmish, then they probably had maxed out points and dunked in the last few seconds. Gotta be killing folks so they don't build up points. It's better to take points away from the enemy then generate points you can lose imo.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

That's what I mean by Zapdos being such a game changer. If you have some dude holding 50 points and you get Zapdos you suddenly dunk a 100 points in, which I had done in a couple games.

I do wish their was a better indicator of points especially since they have a 'tease' of the situation anyway. There's been a couple games where I was sure we were getting creamed and then suddenly we'd be up by like 200 points.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Hah goddamn, I main Talonflame and just got their holo set in the gacha

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Boba Pearl posted:

Oh wait you didn't say you got hit by Zapdos, yeah if you lost a skirmish, then they probably had maxed out points and dunked in the last few seconds. Gotta be killing folks so they don't build up points. It's better to take points away from the enemy then generate points you can lose imo.

I think the problem was top lane. I was playing Edelfloss with a Pikachu bottom and I was keeping him alive while we jobbed the tri lane they were running bot and they had no point. I think that their top dual lane had two maxed out guys that our three didn't ever battle, so it was a problem late game.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Yeah it's insane in a good way they've taken the key MOBA phases and mechanics and managed to pack them into 10 minutes. They could also have been winning lane but not guarding the goal. I've had a lot of points dunked in because the enemy team went for trading scores instead of fighting without paying attention to who would get more points.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I'm pretty bad at this game meant for children because I don't play/enjoy mobas, BUT I'm having a blast while sucking at least.

Slowbro is my bro

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I would like to get into a game with a few people that actually communicate at some point, since the one game where we had an actual midlane/jungle was pretty awesome. Otherwise it usually ends up being everyone in lanes and nobody picking up the xp in there. I also need to pick up an All-Rounder at some point.

I've started trying to feed xp to whoever will evolve quickly in my lane and seeing if it makes a difference, but in pubs it's a coin toss if they make use of the stat boost or not.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

World Famous W posted:

I'm pretty bad at this game meant for children because I don't play/enjoy mobas, BUT I'm having a blast while sucking at least.

Slowbro is my bro

yeah, the 10 minute limit makes it so you aren't in a 50 minute slog fest you know you can't win. A lot of moba's don't have a GG button, but when two of your teammates give up and just go afk it makes it miserable. The ten minutes is pretty good and even if you lose it's not miserable.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Only a few matches in, but my best role (as Talonflame, so far) seems to be guarding whichever lane my team neglects, having slapfights in No 'Mon's Land between bases, healing, and hunting npc pokemon to evolve and build up a charge for whenever the enemy team forgets I was in the neglected lane.

Fly is a perfect move for a newbie like me. People are mastering their combos and teamups, just let me back up for a second and figure out my play, including diving back in to fight.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Love walling people in with Crustle and defending against 3 people at a time while my entire team goes top and destroys their poo poo or activating SUPLEX MODE with Machamp and izuna dropping them to death. Every pokemon feels very different and I love how Heroes of the Storm it feels with point banking, creeps, and choosing your special move variant. I'm pretty sure half the time I'm playing against children who dont know how MOBAs work since some games end 470 to 30 or something lol.

Quick notes about the pokemon I've played as:

- Charizard is really easy to play, love to hold down button and have a stream of continuous poo poo pour out. His DoT for specials is pretty good for killing people who want to run off.

- Venusaur I've heard people say starts fine but ends up not as great as other evolved forms; Solarbeam is such a loving NUKE it reminds me of Lux's ult from LOL. He's good and should be treated as a turret assassin when he gets Solarbeam.

- Machamp I just wade into conflict suplexing people and using that close combat flurry of punches in a fray. For a 1v1 beast he is surprisingly good in larger scuffles.

- Alolan Ninetails is extremely good with that 3rd shot freeze/slow. Can absolutely devastate people in a game where juking and escaping matters. When you are Ninetales, everyone rightfully hates you.

- Garchomp starts off as possibly the worst, wimpiest pokemon of the lot and takes the most work to build up. Once he gets Dragon Rush and Earthquake it's game over though; insane damage and his Ultimate is loving monstrous.

- Slowbro is weird but fun. Telekinesis is a great disruptor to gently caress up the other team's bruiser, water cannon is pretty sweet, and his ultimate is really great if you want to brainscan someone from a distance and melt their face off.

- Crustle loving owns. Can hold off entire teams with his rock tomb wall, have people running into death traps constantly with stealth rock, and is generally just a big blatant wall.

- Cinderace seemingly never hits the right target and I hate this stupid looking FIFA gently caress

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Cinderace owns, you take that back :mad:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I feel like Cinderace got alot stronger for me once I started slotting flame kick over pryoball and letting someone else take the initial aggro.

Also motherfuckers repping Incinoroar ain't get to talk poo poo bout anybodies looks.

There's way too many rewards and objectives squirreled all over too, like here's your trainer level stuff, your tutorial gold, your quest to DO the tutorial gold, your battle pass and launch campaign rewards and objectives over there and....

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
They desperately need to fix whatever is going on in the menus, it is so unfun trying to get around and collect stuff.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Why aren't there any playable gen 2 pokemon?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Anyone else have an issue with the menu not being able to be interacted with if you quick start the game? Like if I leave and come back after a few hours I always have to totally reset the game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DemoneeHo posted:

because it's the worst gen and all of them are fuckugly.

Playable Nidoking WHEN

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

DemoneeHo posted:

If we only ever get one from that gen, it should be Miltank. I want to see a thousand dead nuzlockes flash before my opponents' eyes as I smash that Rollout button.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Psssst.

Eldegoss RULES. You can make your entire team practically invincible. Don't sleep on it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
If you play with a five man stack that minds roles he's unstoppable.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

i have mostly been playing eldegoss and i agree its incredibly powerful, the aoe on the shield+heal is crazy and both of the leaf blast upgrades are crazy good. if you take left upgrade on the leaf blast you can solo any neutral spawn, and if the other team shows up you can just ult and fly across the map while invulnerable

slowbro is also very good and has a crazy amount of lockdown, but i think scald is kind of a trap and you should always go surf for the triple stun

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Fearows of the Storm

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Can't wait to see the Delibird move set!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

12 rats tied together posted:

i have mostly been playing eldegoss and i agree its incredibly powerful, the aoe on the shield+heal is crazy and both of the leaf blast upgrades are crazy good. if you take left upgrade on the leaf blast you can solo any neutral spawn, and if the other team shows up you can just ult and fly across the map while invulnerable

slowbro is also very good and has a crazy amount of lockdown, but i think scald is kind of a trap and you should always go surf for the triple stun

I always take the Pollen Puff but I find it hard to aim at an ally during a battle. Maybe I'll get the attack one and use it to farm and then just depend on the AOE heal for top ups.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
I've been using Leaf Tornado and Cotton Guard, the shield/heal and huge radius from Cotton Guard is extremely useful. Leaf Tornado is amazing too because your allies also benefit from the speed increase so you can rush down or run away from problems as a group.

Movement speed abilities are actually super useful all around, and one of the selling points for picking Petal Dance over Solar Beam on Venusaur. A big constant aoe and a speed buff can make him really effective at hoovering up points from wild Pokemon KOs. Obviously the sheer power and range of Solar Beam make it hard to say no to, but with the right team comps I think Petal Dance will see a lot of use.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I always take the Pollen Puff but I find it hard to aim at an ally during a battle. Maybe I'll get the attack one and use it to farm and then just depend on the AOE heal for top ups.

Pollen Puff is good on a heavy melee team comp. If you throw it on an attacker diving in, they get the heal and the enemy don't want to be near them. It's also good if you stick it on someone as a "kill this fuckin idiot" signal. Everyone wants to be healed, after all.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Space Fish posted:

Only a few matches in, but my best role (as Talonflame, so far) seems to be guarding whichever lane my team neglects, having slapfights in No 'Mon's Land between bases, healing, and hunting npc pokemon to evolve and build up a charge for whenever the enemy team forgets I was in the neglected lane.

Fly is a perfect move for a newbie like me. People are mastering their combos and teamups, just let me back up for a second and figure out my play, including diving back in to fight.

Try Talonflame as a jungler/central area dude, it really needs to hit level 7 to start murdering people.

Also please please take Brave Bird over Fly, the movement bit of it is the same, the self-damage is negligible and it does an absolute poo poo-ton more damage.

Talonflame is basically all I've played so far, might try to get into Machamp too

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

i was considering fly because i liked it more personally not because it was better necessarily, until i realized my opponents could see the circle where i was going to land moving around lol

typhy fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 23, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Zapdos is the most important thing in the entire game by a million miles and if you get it it's an instawin. The only exception is if you take Zapdos and then get teamwiped. It's almost 100% the correct play every game to let the enemy get into the pit and then drop every ult on them because if you do it's impossible to lose

On a more general strategy layer, yeah goaltending is maybe one of the most important skills in the game that I rarely see anyone do. All the time I'll see my entire team shift down to the bot lane to try and help out (which almost entirely involves standing in from of the enemy hoop aimlessly) and I realize that, "oh, this is my entire team," as an enemy Zeraora with 40 points waltzes into our top hoop uncontested for a free dunk. Once the laning phase breaks down, I notice that I go back to base and jump pad back out to the opposite lane to defend the goal way more than most other players. Certain characters are GREAT for this, like Venusaur and Crustle, so you can hold off several enemies solo while your entire team deathballs some other lane

Lastly, with regards to score: I think the notifications might be based on percentage of score as opposed to any solid numbers. I've gotten notifications that "We're REALLY struggling" in games where I end up winning by kind of a lot. I'm guessing that the way it works is that if you have like, less than half of your opponent's score you get that notification, even if in reality you have 100 points and the enemy has 200 so the difference is actually pretty easy to overcome if you just don't fall behind in levels and make it to lategame

e: Machamp is absolutely nuts and one of my contenders for best character

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
How do you actually interupt a goal score? I don't think that just a basic attack does it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

yeah sometimes teams will just go all-in on a lane while leaving another completely wide open. Crustle/Venusaur are absolutely guys who can hold off 2 or even 3 others with strong defense and positioning