Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
What's a good resource for builds/held items?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I like this site https://unite-db.com/.

They've managed to figured out the exact numbers behind everything so you can see exactly what your items and moves do. Unfortunately some of their held items builds aren't the best. Generally everyone likes Muscle Band, Focus Band and Buddy Barrier so those three are great options to use for your 3 free level 30 items. Pokemon that rely a lot on critical hits like Charizard and Absol will want to run Scope Lens. Razor Claw is good for Melee Assassins like Talonflame or Zeroara. Exp Share is nice for supports that get their finished kit early like Blissey or Eldegoss. Lastly Score Shield can be completely obnoxious on Defenders especially when paired with Buddy Barrier.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Awesome, thanks!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
how in the world do you move the lock-on icon wheel thing? It's half cut off on my switch. I have no idea how I moved it or how to move it back?

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
I love Sylveon so much. The low level requirement for your unite, the way hyper voice shreds mobs, how focus band turns your glass cannon into a non-stop hyper voice loudspeaker, how calm mind and x speed can be used to escape and chase

What I hate is the 2 players who picked a pokemon with 1 second left, didn't pick a lane, then go center with me once every few games

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
They changed the lobby music for Halloween:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izP0R4sfF74

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Does anyone want anything added to The OP or want to make a better one and I'll update it? I'm coming back to this game after a long break.

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

Does anyone want anything added to The OP or want to make a better one and I'll update it? I'm coming back to this game after a long break.

Would be helpful to add this to the OP if you could, thanks!

Shoegazing posted:

If you wanna play with goons, especially with voice, we have a group of regulars that play in the Nintengoons Discord in the #pokemon channel. All are welcome!

NintengoonSquad
#G1A5RQN

Send an invite to the squad above and post your Unite username either in the Discord or in this thread.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It is done.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Is there any way to auto-pick your Pokemon's moveset ahead of time? I'm playing on mobile, with lovely hands and a tiny phone and this is already frustrating but then sometimes I mis-click and get locked into Flail when I want Heavy Slam and I'm stuck with it for the rest of the fight

it is a MOBA, I do not need extra things to get mad about

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Is there any way to auto-pick your Pokemon's moveset ahead of time? I'm playing on mobile, with lovely hands and a tiny phone and this is already frustrating but then sometimes I mis-click and get locked into Flail when I want Heavy Slam and I'm stuck with it for the rest of the fight

it is a MOBA, I do not need extra things to get mad about

There should be something on the license screen. On the top right area over the pokemon you highlight.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

You can do it from the menu screen with the button that says Pokemon, or you can do it before you start the match if you click (I think it's ZL on Switch), there will be an option to set held items, battle items, moveset, and announce which lane you want. Note that there STILL isn't a way to automatically pick them immediately -- when you level up, the move you picked will just be the "default" move that you get if you haven't manually selected one before the timer runs out. I guess it makes sense to let you change your mind on what moves you want midgame, but it's kinda silly that it still won't automatically pick your ult or the upgraded versions of your moves.

Halloween event tomorrow! I gotta say, Greedent was about the last pokemon I expected to come out. I don't know if I've ever seen him before, actually, and I thought they woulda gotten a Ghost or Dark type for Halloween over... a greedy squirrel thing? I guess he's representing the trick-or-treaters?

Also excited/semi-nervous for the balance patch -- this one might actually stop Lucario from being broken as hell, and let me play my Pikachu without feeling like I'm weakening the team substantially vs playing someone top tier. I'm interested to see what the math nerds make of the Drednaw and Rotom changes, too. "Drop everything and go to Drednaw" has been the default wisdom so far, but all the same you get lots of teammates who don't know or don't care and it's frustrating when you're left to fight a 3v5 bot lane, but is it gonna be good or bad if "maybe stay top for Rotom" becomes a reasonable play? I guess it makes it not as bad when people don't rotate, but it also means there are going to be more different individual ideas on what the "correct" play is so we're less likely to be on the same page as rando teammates.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Note that this won't select the move for you on level up, but instead if you don't select either move it'll pick your default after some time.

And if you're like me and had to put the game down until something changed, they just rolled out a shitton of nerfs and buffs. Venusaur, Lucario and Zeraora got hit (Talonflame got...better...), even Zapdos and Drednaw got a nerf.

edit: I'm too slow! At least I hope this makes Mr.Mime less of a slog to get going.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I've consistently found Zeroara to be more oppressive than Lucario. Nothing seems to just delete health bars faster. Like you get the electric area of AoE death and basically every pokemon in the radius evaporates.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

I've consistently found Zeroara to be more oppressive than Lucario. Nothing seems to just delete health bars faster. Like you get the electric area of AoE death and basically every pokemon in the radius evaporates.

Zeraora's Discharge is really good, but it's on a substantial cooldown and he's a lot easier to kill. You just gotta get away from him until it's over and then he's helpless for a good 8 seconds or so. Lucario does similar damage but he's got a million dashes, shields, and heals, and for the damage he does he's way too hard to pin down and kill even when he's doing something stupid like chasing people around behind your goal.

(Which I guess technically makes it not stupid since he can do it and get away, but it's stupid that he's able to do it in the first place.)

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Phenotype posted:

Zeraora's Discharge is really good, but it's on a substantial cooldown and he's a lot easier to kill. You just gotta get away from him until it's over and then he's helpless for a good 8 seconds or so. Lucario does similar damage but he's got a million dashes, shields, and heals, and for the damage he does he's way too hard to pin down and kill even when he's doing something stupid like chasing people around behind your goal.

(Which I guess technically makes it not stupid since he can do it and get away, but it's stupid that he's able to do it in the first place.)

lucario has one shield on their passive when they get to low health, and they have no way of healing themselves so I'm not really sure what you're talking about here other than "has many dashes"

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

TheHan posted:

Note that this won't select the move for you on level up, but instead if you don't select either move it'll pick your default after some time.

And if you're like me and had to put the game down until something changed, they just rolled out a shitton of nerfs and buffs. Venusaur, Lucario and Zeraora got hit (Talonflame got...better...), even Zapdos and Drednaw got a nerf.

edit: I'm too slow! At least I hope this makes Mr.Mime less of a slog to get going.

Venusaur actually got Solar Beam buffed, and they just reduced the regen on Giga-drain, so his status a run in lunatic is slightly reduced, but I don't think he'll be so unviable. The days of 80-90k damage with petal and giga are not over.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Xad posted:

lucario has one shield on their passive when they get to low health, and they have no way of healing themselves so I'm not really sure what you're talking about here other than "has many dashes"

Apparently physical attackers like Lucario get lifesteal on basic attacks at level 5, so if you can do crazy damage like Lucario you're gonna get a good chunk back.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Venusaur actually got Solar Beam buffed, and they just reduced the regen on Giga-drain, so his status a run in lunatic is slightly reduced, but I don't think he'll be so unviable. The days of 80-90k damage with petal and giga are not over.

Oh wow, sucks! Well maybe the chance to play as...Greedent...can pull me back in...

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

TheHan posted:

Apparently physical attackers like Lucario get lifesteal on basic attacks at level 5, so if you can do crazy damage like Lucario you're gonna get a good chunk back.

Also Extreme Speed heals Lucario and will give him like 40% of his HP back if he flits through the bees. Also dash+Score Shield dunks. And his shield can easily reset if he's dragging out fights and running away -- I think the timer on that is one of the nerfs planned for tomorrow.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Solar Beam snipe was always my favourite trick, is that viable now?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Xad posted:

Dashes can function as a form of self healing since it allows you to get away to a tower or Sitrus Berry or even better steal an opponents Sitrus Berry. The shield passive makes him extra oppressive early on when damage is already low. There's a reason a lot of tournament teams leave Lucario to handle the top lane entirely on his own and send 3 to the bottom lane instead.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Fun games last night, thanks to everyone who came! I hope I wasn't a pain, I tend to talk to myself when I play video games and its hard to moderate the stream of "oh that fucker" and so on haha. I still have to WIN two more ranked games for that drat battle pass, so I will probably be on a little later if anyone wants to join me. Got into Veteran last night but I'm down to 0 stars so hopefully I don't fall back out of it. :ohdear:

I'm not the only one who thinks the game's gotten a little more fierce in the last month or so, huh? The last few teams we saw in Ranked were definitely on the ball -- I've heard of that split strat before but I've never bumped into it in the wild, where 3 go bottom and starve out the 2 losers on the other team (us :() while Lucario solo top steals enough Pokemon with Meteor Mash to stay in the game. It's probably better that the game evolves a bit but I gotta adjust for things like, for instance, bumping into the whole enemy team roaming as a group, rather than 2-3 players on each team consistently being off in their own little world of Individual Pokemon Adventure.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Just coming to this game for the first time on Switch, after seeing it on Polygon's games of the year list, and I'm really impressed! It plays so well and nails the important parts of the MOBA experience. I picked Talonflame for my starter and haven't felt the need to branch out at all, and have been destroying in beginner ranks with it easily. I played LoL about 8 years ago for a few months and it's cool to see that the main strats still apply here.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 30, 2021

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Talonflame especially will reward your League muscles. Rotate, deny, gank, retreat And having a hard time limit especially is great.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Any people here still playing this? The patch that dropped last week introduced Hoopa and an event in which you can unlock it, and more importantly, fixed Mer Stadium. It's no longer Zapdos: The Stage, now Zapdos only spawns when there's two minutes left in the match. Rotom has been added in both lanes as well. The other two quick battle stages haven't been modified, and since my opinion on Shivre City has kinda soured the more I've played it, I think this makes Mer Stadium the best Quick Battle stage now (I have never liked Auroma Park one bit).

Currently there's also a special type of battle that can be played in Mer Stadium, called Full Fury. It significantly reduces move cooldowns and goal scoring times, making for some rather chaotic but fun matches.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I play it now and then yeah, though I took bit of a break after the chrimbo event

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Anyone still play this? I haven't touched it since last year but I fired it back up the other day and holy moly there are so many different reward tracks and menus to navigate for your daily drip feed of progress. It's gone full turbo-gacha in its presentation, but the game itself is still fun.

https://www.dexerto.com/pokemon/new-pokemon-unite-leak-reveals-mew-scizor-dodrio-all-on-the-way-soon-1903143/

Apparently they're adding Mew next.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Nope, dropped off this quite a while ago. It's intensely frustrating -- the actual gameplay is fantastic, I think it's my favorite MOBA engine since League of Legends, and it works really well on a controller. But the devs were just entirely unwilling or unable to support it properly, and even the monetization team seems like they're throwing poo poo at the wall to see what will stick. I wish someone would buy their engine and reskin it, and give it a proper balance team and regular patches and decent matchmaking with AFK penalties.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I still play it on and off, it's fun but I wish the interface wasn't so drat bad and laggy on Switch but, well thems the breaks with a 2015 midrange phone CPU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I still get my dailies in, but yeah, the menus are... not great. Installed the game on my tablet to click some of the daily things while at work, and it became painfully obvious the interface is designed to be used with a touchscreen. And almost every UI update they make makes it worse.

Still, the game remains pretty fun, and as I refuse to pay real money for it, I was happy that the anniversary event gave me the dress I've always wanted for my Sylveon. Who I don't actually use that much anymore because I've had more success with other mons.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Designed for touch, yeah, that makes perfect sense. I actually thought I was getting a better in-game frame rate on my Switch than when the game came out but I don't really have anything to base that on. Maybe those rumours of a Switch Pro will turn out to be true, although the Switch is itself is pretty long in the tooth now. I know Nintendo are famous for not giving a gently caress what the other console makers do but by the time they release a new one it'll have been like a 6-7 year gap.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm still playing on and off. I'll echo Phenotype in that the game itself is fun and the entire ecosystem surrounding it is incredibly frustrating. It's been a year and there's no draft pick, there's maybe four support type Pokemon and we're only just getting a new speedster in Dodrio, and they're welding every single form of monetisation and grind onto the side of it like some frankenstien's monster.

Playing Aegislash owns tho so it's impossible to say if its good or bad.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I got pretty turned off the game when I realized how often the team that started zapdos lost because they got engaged on at a massive health deficit even if they started it after making a successful big play. did they ever tone that bird down?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Well there's a new map coming where zapdos is replaced with Rayquaza but no clue if its got any mechanical differences or if it's just a coat of paint.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

I got pretty turned off the game when I realized how often the team that started zapdos lost because they got engaged on at a massive health deficit even if they started it after making a successful big play. did they ever tone that bird down?
Only in Mer Stadium where it now only shows up once towards the end of the match. Otherwise, no, in Remoat Stadium it's still in nine out of ten cases the team that gets Zapdos that wins. I do find it a bit too centralizing, especially since it comes in conjunction with the 2x score Final Stretch. If the team that gets Zapdos starts scoring goals (I *have* seen at least one match where the other team managed to mostly stop that from happening), there's absolutely no comeback for the other team.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
So I did a quick fact-find and it looks like Rayquaza doesn't make the goals defenceless, but essentially hands out a shield that's basically Score Shield and Goal Getter (the one that speeds up scoring attempts) to whichever team gets it. So you can probably defend now even if you lose Rayquaza but it's still an advantage. It's not coming to ranked straight away, and god knows if it ever will, but that's something.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I stopped playing when it became obvious that everytime a new 'mon gets released it's obviously OP for a while and there's no rush to fix it since it'll help it sell for money.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I started playing more when i found friends who play, and with the absurd rate mons are releasing now there's plenty to do.

That said i dont play solo much, and pretty much everyone agrees playing solo is a wash.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I still play pretty much every day! I refuse to pay more than 5 dollars for gacha so I am very slowing working my coins up to 12k/14k to afford a new 'mon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

War Wizard posted:

I stopped playing when it became obvious that everytime a new 'mon gets released it's obviously OP for a while and there's no rush to fix it since it'll help it sell for money.

That definitely wasn't the case for Azumarill lmao