Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

War Wizard posted:

I stopped playing when it became obvious that everytime a new 'mon gets released it's obviously OP for a while and there's no rush to fix it since it'll help it sell for money.

Blizzard has stated (and I think this applies to pretty much any game with a similar design) that they prefer to err on the side of too much power rather than too little for new characters/heroes/etc because people won't play weak heroes so it makes it very difficult to gather data to be able to buff them appropriately, and it's almost always easier and/or better to nerf something than it is to buff anyway, just as a general rule.

It's a common accusation that companies make new stuff overpowered to boost sales and I'm sure some of them do, but a lot of the time it's just a side effect of the game design process. And it takes time to gather data to decide on changes and then more time to actually create a patch or hotfix to deploy, especially for cross-platform titles. But design philosophy comes into play here, too, with regards to how often balance changes should be made in the first place.

Just as a couple of examples, back in the Wrath of the Lich King days in WoW the designers started making frequent balance changes to the classes, going so far as to change the way abilities and rotations worked, and it ended up alienating a significant part of the player base because they had to keep relearning things, so they decided from then on they would only make major functional changes to class abilities with the release of a new expansion. And in Hearthstone for pretty much all of Ben Brode's tenure on the game they refused to release balance patches for months at a time even with meta-warping cards running rampart the whole time. That game improved immeasurably when he left because they finally decided to patch more often, and now the meta doesn't stagnate nearly as much as it used to.

But this also goes to the point of how often games should be patched; should devs take a very active role and essentially force the meta, or should they sit back and only hit very obvious outliers and let things take their course, for better or worse? I recently watched HS streamer talking about changes to the game and he made a good point in that a game designer's number one goal should never be to make a game perfectly balanced, instead they should be trying to make the game fun. And while balance certainly contributes towards fun you can easily imagine a very balanced game that is no fun to actually play, and also a poorly balanced game that's very fun to play.

I guess I got off topic here, but I'm not trying to be a Tencent defender or anything, I just like talking about game design!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

dovetaile posted:

I still play pretty much every day! I refuse to pay more than 5 dollars for gacha so I am very slowing working my coins up to 12k/14k to afford a new 'mon.

I bought Tyranitar yesterday bc he is awesome and now I have 2k coins...

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Both the new mons seem cripplingly weak to cc or long ranged attacks, im largely playing decidueye to strike at the glaring weakess tyranitar has while every game has one.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

kirbysuperstar posted:

That definitely wasn't the case for Azumarill lmao
Oh yeah def, if anything Azumarill was underpowered on release.

Now it's an absolute menace.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I just tapped back into the game after what it said was roughly 200 days since I last played. :v: Man oh man is the menu an eyesore with all the poo poo all over it. But I like using Hoopa to play Dota hoopz.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The Mew event began yesterday along with a new battle pass. I'm still playing a few games every day and having fun. I tried out Hoopa and it was really fun just taking a Trick build and boosting an ally, although since I'm still working my way back up in ranks I feel like I'm having more impact as Ninetales because I can actually farm all the XP everyone else ignores. It's pretty easy to see why every competitive team wants a Hoopa too, even though I haven't played with the portal ability much yet.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Man, this update seems to have completely broken targeting. Even with advanced controls where holding A is supposed to target opposing team Pokémon and holding B is supposed to target wild Pokémon, I seem to always be locking on to wild Pokémon, to the point of my Pokémon going out of its way to hit wild Pokémon no matter what button I hold, even when the wild Pokémon is outside of my targeting range and one or more opposing team Pokémon is inside of my targeting range. This has led to much frustration.

I do like the new stage and I like that it immediately became the Ranked mode stage, too. Rayquaza is a little confusing, it says that it makes scoring unstoppable when you beat it, but this isn't actually the case. You get faster scoring, and you get a shield that protects from... some ways of stopping goal scoring, but not all of them. At least better than Zapdos giving completely free goals, even if my experience so far has been that the team that gets Rayquaza will win the match.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 4, 2022

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I've noticed the targeting bug as well and it's deifnitely got me killed at least once. Very frustrating. I do like the map changes in general, though.

I don't think I'm going to be able to complete the Mew event in time, since it looks like it requires a lot of playtime, particularly with the friends I do not have. :v:

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The Mew event runs for another 38 or so days, and I don't know if playing with friends is mandatory—yes, there are play with friends missions in it, but the first bit of the mural I finished still had one mission uncleared. I didn't count all of them but I think you can hit 100 pieces on them without doing all the missions in them.

You can add me to play some matches if you want, even if just comp stomps to fulfill those "Win matches with friends" missions. My code is RY1KN97.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 4, 2022

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Apparently the bug is that if you attack within one second of using an ability you'll always target a wild Pokemon. I'm not sure if this game does hotfix patches but it seems like it should warrant one.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Well that explains why I felt extra hosed by the targeting when I was Duraludon, that bug makes Flash Cannon practically unusable. Aegislash is really hurt by it too. Definitely something that needs to be patched asap.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

A patch just came out and the attack bug is fixed. Mr Mime's beam also got nerfed so I guess it was an outlier.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Targeting still seemed a bit wonky to me after the update, at first it felt like it had been fixed then it started being weird again. Guess I'll see if Duraludon actually works now.

Also I still can't deal with Gengar, I don't get what they're using to eat 80% of your lifebar in one hit.

Another thing I'm not entirely sure on how to approach yet is emblem loadouts, what stats to prioritize and what is safe to go minus on. I feel like critical hit chance might be the least important one since the increases and decreases to it are so small, but very uncertain.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Generally the stats provided by the individual emblems are going to be slightly less important than completing color sets. A full set of 10 gold Sp. Atk boosting emblems will give you an additional 30 special attack whereas 6 green emblems boosts your special attack by 4% when special attackers tend to have 1000+ special attack at level 15. It will be more effective earlier in the game but that's assuming you do in fact have all golds which is unlikely. Green/Black was the go to build for special attack because it was very easy to get both green and black maxed out. Critical Hit% was actually one of the few stats to prioritize on the the emblems since there isn't a color that boosts it yet. Every pokemon is going to have a dump stat so if you have multiple emblems that can complete a color stat then pick one that boosts your primary stat or lowers a stat you don't use (crit for pokemon that can't crit, sp. attack on physical mons etc.).

The changes are pretty minor overall. Completing a color set or stacking a full set of 10 in a certain stat is usually going to add up to about as much as the secondary stat boost on a level 30 held item (HP for Score Shield, Sp. Atk on Choice specs) so it's generally pretty minor unless you're focusing on going all in on a stat.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Man, been on a real losing streak recently. I'm not used to what's good yet - when to prioritise Regieleki over the other Regis is still new to me, and getting teams to co-ordinate and push or fight at Rayquaza properly is losing me a lot of games. I should probably check all my builds and stuff again.

Edit: Going full attack/crit Machamp rocks actually. What a glow up this guy got!

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 7, 2022

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

dude789 posted:

Generally the stats provided by the individual emblems are going to be slightly less important than completing color sets. A full set of 10 gold Sp. Atk boosting emblems will give you an additional 30 special attack whereas 6 green emblems boosts your special attack by 4% when special attackers tend to have 1000+ special attack at level 15. It will be more effective earlier in the game but that's assuming you do in fact have all golds which is unlikely. Green/Black was the go to build for special attack because it was very easy to get both green and black maxed out. Critical Hit% was actually one of the few stats to prioritize on the the emblems since there isn't a color that boosts it yet. Every pokemon is going to have a dump stat so if you have multiple emblems that can complete a color stat then pick one that boosts your primary stat or lowers a stat you don't use (crit for pokemon that can't crit, sp. attack on physical mons etc.).

The changes are pretty minor overall. Completing a color set or stacking a full set of 10 in a certain stat is usually going to add up to about as much as the secondary stat boost on a level 30 held item (HP for Score Shield, Sp. Atk on Choice specs) so it's generally pretty minor unless you're focusing on going all in on a stat.

I'm picking this game back up after playing it a bit at launch and have no clue what to do with items and emblems. Am I just forever behind because I haven't been playing the whole time? Are there any reliable guides out there?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Aquila posted:

I'm picking this game back up after playing it a bit at launch and have no clue what to do with items and emblems. Am I just forever behind because I haven't been playing the whole time? Are there any reliable guides out there?

They replaced all the weird gubbins in the energy capsule thing with emblems, so just play a bunch and use any of the energy tanks the game throws at you and you'll build up a collection. The important thing is you start with three pages and can buy more (to a total of eight), but generally to start you want:
  • A tank page - six whites, two blue and two purple will see you right. This can be used for all-rounders as well - Aegislash prefers to go tanky.
  • An attack/crit page of reds and browns, with maybe some yellows, for attack/speedsters and any more aggressive All-Rounders like Machamp.
  • A cooldown and special attack page for mages like Delphox, Mew, etc. Just slam greens and blacks in there.

You can buy an extra page or two to get more specifici but those three will be absolutely fine to start with.

You can figure out who wants what, and item build guides, at UniteDB. They aren't super up to date and won't help you too much with Emblems, but they'll tell you what items are generally good, and what attack stats the pokemon scales off so you can build correctly. Don't sweat emblems too much. The game will find excuses to throw item enhancers and the purple tickets for more item enhancers, so you can get stuff to 20 fairly well and work on 30 over time.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Got absolutely dominated by a Gengar earlier tonight, and then I find this Youtube explaining what happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1GPAP41Pd0

The new map has so much XP you can level insanely quickly with some Pokemon, in this case getting 15 before 5mins.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Yeah, the new map has an issue where if one team has even an iota more co-ordination than the other, you get more XP and slam dunk on the enemy, then you can take their farm and really put the boot in. You have to really be on the ball, especially in solo queue.

Alice Liddell
Sep 14, 2004

I want to forget!
Who would choose to be alone, imprisoned by their broken memories?
Does anyone know if you can keep your battle coins that you accumulate during the Legacy Trainer Showdown past the event duration? (2022-09-08 - 2022-10-06) I'm not a big fan of Leon's outfit but maybe the next one will be more exciting.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

You'll keep the coin items in your inventory, but I would extremely not count on them being useable for any future event.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
I just started playing this game looking for a new mobile moba and it seems really good, but I'm still new to it. I chose the speedster bird as my first mon and haven't played as anyone else, but I also haven't lost a game yet.

Is there anyone else who plays like the talonbird? I've tried every combo of spells and theyre all good. I have enough gold for any mon so I want to make sure I grab a fun one. A high mobility glass cannon I guess, who can take over the game over from mid lane.
Any suggestions?

And is there a way to test out unowned heros? Like an all random mode, or a trial mode vs bots or something?

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Mortimer Knag posted:

I just started playing this game looking for a new mobile moba and it seems really good, but I'm still new to it. I chose the speedster bird as my first mon and haven't played as anyone else, but I also haven't lost a game yet.

Is there anyone else who plays like the talonbird? I've tried every combo of spells and theyre all good. I have enough gold for any mon so I want to make sure I grab a fun one. A high mobility glass cannon I guess, who can take over the game over from mid lane.
Any suggestions?

And is there a way to test out unowned heros? Like an all random mode, or a trial mode vs bots or something?

Greninja is a really fun quick mon that plays mid really well, same with Cinderace and Zeraora. And you should be able to test any mon by selecting them in the menu and going to Practice, I think its called. I'm not able to double check right now but I know for a fact you can do it.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Plasbad posted:

Greninja is a really fun quick mon that plays mid really well, same with Cinderace and Zeraora. And you should be able to test any mon by selecting them in the menu and going to Practice, I think its called. I'm not able to double check right now but I know for a fact you can do it.

Thanks for the tips, I'll check those out when I get a chance tonight. Is practice at least like a 1+4 vs 5 bot match type thing?, Or is it a "see how your skills look against this immobile training dummy" type of practice?

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Mortimer Knag posted:

Thanks for the tips, I'll check those out when I get a chance tonight. Is practice at least like a 1+4 vs 5 bot match type thing?, Or is it a "see how your skills look against this immobile training dummy" type of practice?

The latter, but it's 1v1 against an AI that you can set to do nothing if you want to, and there are training dummies on the map that you can check your DPS against and stuff. And options to immediately level up and stuff. It works pretty well.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So, turns out Mew is pretty good! I just don't get why the hell it's categorized as an Attacker, this is the most All-Rounder 'mon in the game and playing it feels mostly like playing Support.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

That's the main season reward out of the way. It was a new account and about 100 of those games were with Alolan Ninetales. I might try some other Pokemon now. Not going to try too hard to get Master because I only solo queue, but I've been told it gets easier a short time after each reset. I guess the really competitive people get it and then stop playing?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Dodrio has dropped. Good news: they may have buffed tri attack cos it seems to be much more damaging than it used to be. Bad news: you can't get it with coins for a week - you have to fork out for it. That's fine by me cos it gives me another week to get to the amount of coins I need, but it does feel scummy as a business practice.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Yeah, it's a bit sketch. Glaceon was only purchaseable with gems at first too, but also came with an event that let you get it for free.

Definitely getting Dodrio since it's finally another speedster, I do have a big pile of coins saved up. Probably gonna buy Tyranitar too.

E: Also finally got a Venomoth emblem, which was the one I needed to make my Special emblem set 7 Black/6 Green, and I could still get a 2 Blue in there to fill it out.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 15, 2022

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So when I started playing today I was three wins away from hitting Ultra and after an hour of playing I'm five wins away from hitting Ultra. And that was with one loss not ranking me down because I had enough performance points. My only win was in what I'm completely certain was a pity match against CPUs after the losing streak.

Two of the losses was "We were winning then they got Rayquaza", one of which being the absolute bullshit version of "We deal 99.9% damage to it and one guy on the opposing team manages to run in and get the final HP", and one loss was because of one player on the team doing nothing for various periods of time. They did give me 75 performance points because they detected idling which isn't even enough for one loss prevention.

This loving game

Edit: And the next day I keep trying and lose a rank point from a battle that was 4v5 because we had a disconnect pretty early. That battle shouldn't count for a loss, seriously.

End result today is I'm back where I'm started yesterday, three wins away from Ultra. Though with enough performance points for one loss prevention.

MORE EDIT: And on literally the last day of the season I managed to hit Ultra, had two fairly crushing wins in a row and on the second one I maxed out the performance point meter so I got two rank points for that match. Next season I'll start trying for this earlier. Also started using Dream Eater a bit smarter today, so I'll remember that in the future.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 12, 2022

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

KennyMan666 posted:

So when I started playing today I was three wins away from hitting Ultra and after an hour of playing I'm five wins away from hitting Ultra. And that was with one loss not ranking me down because I had enough performance points. My only win was in what I'm completely certain was a pity match against CPUs after the losing streak.

Two of the losses was "We were winning then they got Rayquaza", one of which being the absolute bullshit version of "We deal 99.9% damage to it and one guy on the opposing team manages to run in and get the final HP", and one loss was because of one player on the team doing nothing for various periods of time. They did give me 75 performance points because they detected idling which isn't even enough for one loss prevention.

This loving game

Edit: And the next day I keep trying and lose a rank point from a battle that was 4v5 because we had a disconnect pretty early. That battle shouldn't count for a loss, seriously.

End result today is I'm back where I'm started yesterday, three wins away from Ultra. Though with enough performance points for one loss prevention.

MORE EDIT: And on literally the last day of the season I managed to hit Ultra, had two fairly crushing wins in a row and on the second one I maxed out the performance point meter so I got two rank points for that match. Next season I'll start trying for this earlier. Also started using Dream Eater a bit smarter today, so I'll remember that in the future.

What was the breakthrough with Dream Eater?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Unreasonably pleased with myself about this.
Current season:

Matchmaking has really felt like a shitshow since around the time Urshifu was released. Extreme skill discrepency like mad.

As for the game, I'm in a really weird place about the balance; it feels like every balance patch and new item takes the game in the right direction, while every new pokemon is heinously overtuned. Comfey is Yuumi but with a stun and therefore awful, both Urshifu's are disgusting, Zacian can spend 5 Aeos to oneshot you at the start of the game, and Goodra is possibly the tankiest pokemon they've released yet (and with spammably ivy whip, the hardest to escape)....

...but on the other hand Rapidfire Scarf has made carries extremely fun to play AND enabled a lot of fun sidebuilds (Wigglytuff, Ninetails, Dragonite come to mind), and Silver Spoon is a great item for aggressive magic tanks.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Nickoten posted:

What was the breakthrough with Dream Eater?
Oh I didn't see this question back then, lol. I've completely forgotten what it was and I don't main Gengar anymore because he's less good now, especially not against newer mons. Who, as stated, are almost all very overtuned and cost lots of coins so I don't have most of them. At least Zacian got an unlock event! My current main is Scyther, next mon I pick up will probably be Comfey or Urshifu.

Would be fun to have a group of decent-to-good players to play with (mainly for ranked) rather than always have to completely rely on randos. Managed to get Ultra last ranked season, haven't truly started trying this one yet, but have dropped down to worse than where I started...

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
There's a Unite channel in the Pokegoon discord, though it seems slowgoing.

Anyways, this is completely normal Level 3 damage, and dont let anyone tell you otherwise.
https://i.imgur.com/iq3WnQl.mp4

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So Zacian got nerfed, and I got Comfey today which as it turns out is extremely good, has to be by a wide margin the best support character in the game. I was thinking that I wasn't gonna hit Ultra this ranked season, then I bought that little flower fairy bugger and proceeded to rank up twice, so, okay, yeah, looks like I absolutely have a chance.

Some mons, if their players actually know how to use them, get practically invincible with Comfey attached. I like it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm skeptical on how big a nerf it really was, the biggest impact was removing the cleanse from Agility.

And yeah, Comfey is extremely good if you have a competent melee carry on your team.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Lower base stats across the board (except for max level) should at least make the sword doggo slighly less dominant at the very start. But yeah, he's undoubtedly still a very strong mon.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Anyone still play this game? I caught up with it watching Worlds coverage. This was the final match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W2qKk7-3Q0

Mewtwo was banned from the comp for being too OP, so I guess Tencent are incorporating Pokemon lore into game balance. Zacian was busted for ages on release too, but for the game to be added to Worlds it must be doing pretty well so I don't think its balance issues are related to neglect or anything. I remember when I played it all I could think about was how I'd much rather be playing Heroes of the Storm but, well, RIP.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I'm still playing and Mewtwo X is extremely overtuned, yes. To the point where the fastest nerf ever was issued, literally the day after Mewtwo X was added to the game, and he's still overtuned. Got a second smaller nerf too, making it two nerfs in the span of three weeks. The balancing factor seems supposed to be the relative fragility of the base form compared to the Mega form, though the base form isn't terrible or anything. Stick a Comfey on there and Mewtwo will solo your entire team. Only slightly exaggerated.

And now they're adding another Mewtwo, Mewtwo Y! I'm fully expecting that version to be busted as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Shocked that MewTwo is so busted, after the impressive balancing act that was Umbreon, Zacian, and Comfey.