Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I also like how nice it looks. Makes me hope for something similar to Dota where they release seasonal skins for the map that change up the look, except I would like a version that doesnt cost 200 dollars

e: also, this is the guy I was watching last night who was maxing out items to see how big the advantage is. He seems like he's just buying everything and throwing it all at the wall to see what stick in terms of effectiveness

https://www.twitch.tv/moistcr1tikal

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Just a heads up about the pay to win mechanics.

It takes 2,587 Gems to take an item from 1 - 30, and it takes 567 gems to take it from 1 - 20

For a full upgrade on a level 30 item it costs 20$ your first time (1220+1220) and then 40$ for each item after that, assuming you spend your dosh only on Gems

To take it to level 20, it takes 567 Gems, so for 2440 you could take 4 items up to level 20, and then 2 items up to level 20 for each 20$ spent.

I've been looking at tests on youtube, and there's not a lot, but here's what I could find.

Numbers derived from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=833vC6WjMkU

The difference between a level 1 Float Stone and a Level 25 Float Stone is about 2 seconds faster to get into lane out of combat.

The difference between a level 1 Rocky Helmet and a level 29 Rocky Helmet with a level 2 dwebble vs zeraora it allowed dwebble to survive about 3 more auto attacks

The difference between a level 1 Muscle Band and a level 20 Muscle band with a level 2 dwebble vs audino is 2 auto attacks faster.

Following Numbers Derived from this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPymX1RIhjI

Cramorant with a whirlpool on a dummy at level 2 does 1674 if centered correctly, with level 20 spc atk specs (a +16 special attack buff) it does 1728, Because focus specs are a flat damage boost, it will only do 50 additional damage at any level. When leveling, it only adds to base stats not scaling, so the biggest damage boost is going to be early game. It should note that this is the most powerful move in the game at level 2. Doing the math because it scales lineally, we know that this will be a +76 damage buff at 30

Alolan Ninetails, at level 3 with a level 20 spc atk specs (+16 Sp Attack) and a level 17 muscle band +9 attack, +4% basic attack speed deals 1193 with the passive, icy wind, powder snow, in 3 seconds. The extra attack speeds allows them an additional hit in about 4 seconds, which is the same that we saw in the audino video. Just doing the math it would kill the audino one auto attack faster then normal.

A level 30 Cookie gives +240 HP. 4 auto attacks from a no item ninetails does 1,925. One auto attack a level 3 alolan ninetails with the passive does 556

I do not believe this game is pay to win, the buffs are extremely small, when added up and do not matter pass the first 3 or 4 levels when stats scale massively, shrinking the boosts even further. If other people disagree let me know!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah I agree with that basically. It is objectively an advantage, but it's so minor that it's not going to let you win a game you would have otherwise lost. There are times when, yeah, I get into a 1v1 with someone and one of us gets away with a sliver of HP and I think "having three maxed out items would have changed the outcome of that fight," but also getting into a fight with such a slim margin of success is a bad idea to begin with and no marginal advantage would have mattered if I just waited for someone else to show up and we win the fight no problem

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread yet, but there are some things you can turn on in settings (X on the main menu, bottom option, or + then - in game) under Controls that are extremely important!

First of all, you can change your control type from the normal version where the basic attack button is A and that's it to:

ADVANCED MODE which makes B also work to basic attack, but if you're near wild pokemon AND opposing pokemon, B will only attack wild pokemon and A will only attack opposing pokemon, which can be super important for picking targets properly! I managed to steal a Zapdos like this once, Heavy Slam'd into it as Snorlax while the entire enemy team was fighting it and managed to slap it to death before they could KO me or it

The other important option is the Lock On Circle, which will appear on the right side of the screen lets you lock on to specific opposing pokemon when they're nearby using the right stick, so you can auto-attack a far away pikachu with 5hp instead of the close by Snorlax with full health

There's also a Boosted Attack Gauge which isn't as important as the other two settings, but it'll show little pips under your health bar when you do basic attacks that'll let you know when you're about to get a boosted attack, can be useful if you need to remember how many attacks until a boosted attack, since most are 3, but some are other numbers, like Garchomp gets one at 5 attacks

Unrelated to the above, but I love Gengar, Sludge Bomb->Hex is nuts, Hex is a blink that does damage, but if the target was afflicted by poison/burn/etc. it does even more damage and the cooldown goes to like 1 second, so you just poison someone and then teleport on top of them like 3-4 times to do a huge burst of damage each time. I know Venusaur also has Sludge Bomb and Charizard can inflict burns and stuff so I wonder what the ideal "let a Gengar destroy everyone" team would be

Xad fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 24, 2021

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
you can put pikachu on your head for your player card. game of the century

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Gengar is doubly nuts because his Hex trick pretty much instagibs Rotom/Zapdos/Dreadnaw

Also, I figured out whats up with the AFKs! So if you've ever gotten the brief "error, reconnecting" message, if you tap A to cancel it will kickyou back out to the main menu and reboot the game. Re-entering will let you rejoin the game, but you can't move or control anything or do anything and you just have to sit there and watch the game go on for ten minutes

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you do get that just leave I guess, because it does replace people with bots. I've had exactly one game, out of like 50, where it told me someone got replaced and asked me to issue orders. Only choices are stay put and follow me though, so they're not very useful

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is there a way to rearrange your selection lineup? It gets rather clunky as the thing gets longer and I'd like to order according to the ones I pick most often.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

homeless snail posted:

The quick mode map today is wild, no lanes all jungle, and you get 2x points when you dunk immediately after anyone else dunks in a hoop so you really need perhaps a bit more coordination than you should expect from a moba for babies. You can tell pretty much within the first minute who's going to win, depending on whichever team is setting up dunks properly

I had a great Cramorant moment where I had 2 enemies coming after me, dove down a conveyor into my allies, and then hit my ult for turret mode at the end. Watching them try to run away when they realized it was too late was hilarious.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Bruceski posted:

Is there a way to rearrange your selection lineup? It gets rather clunky as the thing gets longer and I'd like to order according to the ones I pick most often.

I don't think so and it's part of something I hope they improve soon, every menu is extremely laggy even ones that probably don't need to be server-based

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

inthesto posted:

I like this game and the fact that it heavily draws from my old squeeze LoL Dominion. However:

I thought Dominion's comeback mechanic needed to be tuned down and the first version of Infinite Crisis's meteor was wild, but this is loving dumb beyond comprehension

Holy moley :popeye:

I knew Zapdos was overtuned but I didn't know it was this bad.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

mfcrocker posted:

Hah goddamn, I main Talonflame and just got their holo set in the gacha

I wish I could too. I picked that cute as hell Fletchling as my first Pokemon and it kills me I can't just drop a fiver on the game and get that awesome summer outfit.

Bruceski posted:

I had a great Cramorant moment where I had 2 enemies coming after me, dove down a conveyor into my allies, and then hit my ult for turret mode at the end. Watching them try to run away when they realized it was too late was hilarious.

I bought Cramorant with my first 8000 coins because it's a real dumb looking bird, how would I not? And turns out it's a hilarious pokemon to play because people don't know how to handle it at all.

What am I gonna do, NOT pick this guy?

How are you guys building yours?

I'm normally going Air Slash and Surf. The self-heal on Air Slash is great, and the double wave catches people off guard all the time. And of course the ultimate is awesome, just flop down behind the line and murder EEEEEVERYONE.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 24, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Realized something very funny about the game. If you lose three games in a row, the game will put you into a bot match in your next round, even if you're playing ranked, and won't let you play against people again until you win a match. I know this because I realized I was playing with bots, booted up a surrender vote and it immediately went through and we lost despite being up like 200 points and I had to play in another lobby where everyone had the exact same trainer card

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I'm having way too much fun as Eldegoss and just keeping people alive for way longer than I expect. I imagine it probably gets tougher in the higher ranks when people actually try and focus down the healer though. I'm finding the best way to actually make people attack the Zapdos is to just run there with Eldegoss and start attacking it myself because it's easy to heal through the damage, and eventually someone will be walking through and realise what's happening.

Centusin fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 24, 2021

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I love his tornado, people see a squishy healer, and always chase you in a straight line and you can get them all with the tornado, and then come in and clean up. It works even better if you have an ally that knows to his in the bushes while you retreat and bait them after you.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'm kind of loving this. Just the perfect match length for a moba, and the simplicity compared to something like dota or leage makes it just good casual fun.

Ready to pick up another mon for my rooster, lack an all rounder... is Charizard fun and easy to play?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Avalerion posted:

I'm kind of loving this. Just the perfect match length for a moba, and the simplicity compared to something like dota or leage makes it just good casual fun.

Ready to pick up another mon for my rooster, lack an all rounder... is Charizard fun and easy to play?

I haven't tried an all-rounder but the few noob guides I've glanced through kept recommending Charizard as a good first choice.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Honestly, I don't think there's any pokémon that are bad. Maybe in a few months the meta will develop and there will be obvious duds, but there's huge numbers of cannon fodder kids to play against so anything you pick can be good. There's a lot of tier lists online and they are all over the place. Just have some fun and pick whichever you like.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

A lot of words

Thank you for this it genuinely helps. Also just sleeping on it and realising I was diving quite a lot when I should’ve been hanging back. Had a lot more success in my last couple games even solo top lane. Might not be victories but I don’t feel like I’m throwing the games anymore.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Annoyed at the limited options for rebinding buttons. I want to put Attack on L so I can leave my right thumb on the stick for aiming, but you've only got the three special moves and Map(???) available to put there. I oughta be able to bind all my triggers to Return to Base if I want to, dammit.

Also annoyed at the music. I know Tencent is a tiny little company on a shoestring budget, but you'd think they could have gotten the main Pokemon theme and some better chiptunes at the very least.

I really want to play Pikachu and Wigglytuff, but I blew all my coins on Gengar, and I can't decide whether or not it's worth blowing $20 on this game. The core of it does seem fun, if a little more shallow than something like League of Legends, but there are a lot of weird choices they've made (you can't ever see the score? what?) even before you get into the monetization scheme -- which really does seem overly predatory now that I've had a day to look through everything. I don't like how hard it is to figure out what $20 would get me -- it's 2440 gems, so Pikachu and Wigglytuff (and probably Garchomp and Eldegoss) come to 1725, which leaves me with 715... but then apparently I can get Item Enhancers with gems? There's no price for them on the screen. How many Enhancers does it take to level up? It looked like the prices were going 3-4-5 when I was upgrading stuff last night, but eventually it started going up by 2s and then 3s, so there's really no telling how item levels I can get with 715 gems.

It leaves me with a very bad taste in my mouth. I woulda paid $60 for this game easily if it were an option, but I'm not sure I want to reward this kind of scheme.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

This poo poo is perfect for an old rear end in a top hat like myself who doesn’t have the time or patience for mobas anymore but misses the action.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I somehow got two penalties for Malicious idling despite not going idle in any matches so far.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

MonsterEnvy posted:

I somehow got two penalties for Malicious idling despite not going idle in any matches so far.

After the match you can report people for malicious idling and something else. I don't think there's any kind of check to see if you actually did, so spiteful people can just report you for anything in every game if they want.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Realized something very funny about the game. If you lose three games in a row, the game will put you into a bot match in your next round, even if you're playing ranked, and won't let you play against people again until you win a match.

I am look forward to the game offering me a freebie round after I get triple-crushed in ranked.

Pivoting to Venusaur, matches my semi-defensive play style in a way Ninetails didn't, plus Solar Beam is universally useful.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

After the match you can report people for malicious idling and something else. I don't think there's any kind of check to see if you actually did, so spiteful people can just report you for anything in every game if they want.

Lol is there a low priority queue? I’m glad they were able to capture the experience of reporting teammates, but it’s not the same unless you are stuck in a pool of horrible people to play with

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

There's fair play points, you start at 100 and lose points for not readying in time, going AFK, being reported. At like 90, 60, and 40 are the thresholds for being unable to queue for certain things

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Concurred posted:

There's fair play points, you start at 100 and lose points for not readying in time, going AFK, being reported. At like 90, 60, and 40 are the thresholds for being unable to queue for certain things

90 is the threshold for not be able to claim fair play rewards.

Still I don't get why I would be reported, I got KOed quite a bit at the start, but got MVP overall.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I wish I could too. I picked that cute as hell Fletchling as my first Pokemon and it kills me I can't just drop a fiver on the game and get that awesome summer outfit.

I bought Cramorant with my first 8000 coins because it's a real dumb looking bird, how would I not? And turns out it's a hilarious pokemon to play because people don't know how to handle it at all.

What am I gonna do, NOT pick this guy?

How are you guys building yours?

I'm normally going Air Slash and Surf. The self-heal on Air Slash is great, and the double wave catches people off guard all the time. And of course the ultimate is awesome, just flop down behind the line and murder EEEEEVERYONE.

I go with surf (partially because it's good, partially because I can't be arsed to go into a practice map figure out dive) and Hurricane, but now that I'm past the lowest tier of ranked, folks are learning to keep moving so that's tougher to place unless they're distracted. The main thing for how enemies can handle Crawmorant 1v1 is don't flinch. If you can get in there and bully them they don't have much to stop you. Machamp and Snorlax in particular tend to wreck me, the speedy guys (Talonflame, Z-whatshisface) it depends who lands their skils. Anyone who gets nervous, tries to stay at range? I can usually get them.

Where I excel is where people are distracted. I can drop some serious damage into folks if they're not moving trying to jink me. Particularly with whirlpool in the early game, people don't realize the damage speeds up as time goes on and it shrinks so I've seen so many people try to tank it based on the lighter up-front damage. And the ult... even if you don't kill folks it's an AMAZING zoning tool. If they stay in and don't immediately murder you they die. If they try to get out they're not wherever you're trying to keep them away from (scoring allies)

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
drat, Zapados can really change the tide of the game. My team was really behind all game, but we squeezed out with it.

Still gonna vote out if we lose 3 nodes in the first 5 minutes tho.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Oh wow, was disconnected (game crash) during the loading screen where you can see all 10 players. Opened the game back up, selected to join a match, and that SAME loading screen appeared, then I entered the game as if I'd idled the whole time. We came back with me 90 seconds behind, felt good.

Ninetails plays better now that I've replaced Avalanche, that move does me no favors.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Solar Tornado posted:

drat, Zapados can really change the tide of the game. My team was really behind all game, but we squeezed out with it.

Still gonna vote out if we lose 3 nodes in the first 5 minutes tho.

If my team gets Zapdos, I just stop paying attention and assume we've won

I've yet to be wrong

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

inthesto posted:

If my team gets Zapdos, I just stop paying attention and assume we've won

I've yet to be wrong

It's happened to me once, when the other team rather rushing in to interfere with the kill grouped up and did one massive dump on us from the grass as we were rushing their central goal, they got the win by 20 points. But they'd also been steadily out doing us most of the match.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I have the item that gives you a stack of extra sp attack when you dunk (six stacks total) so I've been killing one mouse and for 1pt and dunking 3 or 4 times since a 1pt dunk takes like 1 sec and is hard to interrupt. It gives a huge advantage early game that I can snowball with. The trick is to get just one point. Any more and it takes too long to dunkachino.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have the item that gives you a stack of extra sp attack when you dunk (six stacks total) so I've been killing one mouse and for 1pt and dunking 3 or 4 times since a 1pt dunk takes like 1 sec and is hard to interrupt. It gives a huge advantage early game that I can snowball with. The trick is to get just one point. Any more and it takes too long to dunkachino.

Yeah, it's basically guaranteed if you have the Score Shield too. It stacks up to 6 times by the way

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

How does Slowbro's blue health work? I thought that was his Oblivious passive, but if you're in a fight, then you die as soon as your green health is all gone even if you've got a full bar of blue.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no thats oblivious. if you hit 0 health you hit zero health. the blue health is essentially just damage you can heal later, not damage that didnt happen.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Phenotype posted:

How does Slowbro's blue health work? I thought that was his Oblivious passive, but if you're in a fight, then you die as soon as your green health is all gone even if you've got a full bar of blue.
That's it. You have a period to heal up before the damage applies, but if they go through the whole health bar it just auto applies it

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Phenotype posted:

Oblivious only makes some damage delayed, so you can still do enough to KO them normally

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Honestly, I don't think there's any pokémon that are bad. Maybe in a few months the meta will develop and there will be obvious duds, but there's huge numbers of cannon fodder kids to play against so anything you pick can be good. There's a lot of tier lists online and they are all over the place. Just have some fun and pick whichever you like.

I know I said Cramorant before, but after thinking about it, I think Slowbro isn't "bad" per se, but it really seems like Snorlax and Wigglytuff do everything that he does but better. Telekinesis is too easy to interrupt and is incredibly finnickey to hit, and Surfing gives up your ranged offensive capability in lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Just spent 8000 gold on ninetails before realizing it’s the reward for day two… still on day one so I don’t know if I’ll get anything for day two yet but that’s very unfortunate.

Having a blast and been playing all day though.

Edit- thanks for the information. Didn’t mean to misspell but just got an iPhone and this thing aggressively autocorrects on everything compared to android.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 25, 2021