Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Is there a better way to regain your health other than walking all the way back to the nearest goal and sitting there for a while? I've used the fruits that spawn behind the goal but sometimes they're not there.

How many pokemon do you get to unlock with the initial new player bonuses? I've only played my first five or six games but I just realized that half the available pokemon have a timer over their heads and I don't actually own them and I think they're going away eventually? I've got the free Zerora, Slowpoke, Venusaur, and the Charmander (that I had to pick five minutes into the game when I'd never seen most of the others before :() and it looks like the coins are starting to come in tiny little amounts now, when the pokemon all cost 8k+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Annoyed at the limited options for rebinding buttons. I want to put Attack on L so I can leave my right thumb on the stick for aiming, but you've only got the three special moves and Map(???) available to put there. I oughta be able to bind all my triggers to Return to Base if I want to, dammit.

Also annoyed at the music. I know Tencent is a tiny little company on a shoestring budget, but you'd think they could have gotten the main Pokemon theme and some better chiptunes at the very least.

I really want to play Pikachu and Wigglytuff, but I blew all my coins on Gengar, and I can't decide whether or not it's worth blowing $20 on this game. The core of it does seem fun, if a little more shallow than something like League of Legends, but there are a lot of weird choices they've made (you can't ever see the score? what?) even before you get into the monetization scheme -- which really does seem overly predatory now that I've had a day to look through everything. I don't like how hard it is to figure out what $20 would get me -- it's 2440 gems, so Pikachu and Wigglytuff (and probably Garchomp and Eldegoss) come to 1725, which leaves me with 715... but then apparently I can get Item Enhancers with gems? There's no price for them on the screen. How many Enhancers does it take to level up? It looked like the prices were going 3-4-5 when I was upgrading stuff last night, but eventually it started going up by 2s and then 3s, so there's really no telling how item levels I can get with 715 gems.

It leaves me with a very bad taste in my mouth. I woulda paid $60 for this game easily if it were an option, but I'm not sure I want to reward this kind of scheme.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

How does Slowbro's blue health work? I thought that was his Oblivious passive, but if you're in a fight, then you die as soon as your green health is all gone even if you've got a full bar of blue.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

it's pronounced cinder-ah-chee like liberace.

I will not be taking any questions.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

I think(?) you get your money back if you get it from a quest, at least. Move speed is always good in these games though so yeah float stone is a must pick imo. If you're playing support I really like buddy barrier also, it doesn't proc that often but its totally something that can swing a team fight in your favor when you get a chance to use it.

Nope! You get your money back if you buy a pokemon license and get a duplicate from a quest, but if you get a duplicate item you'll get 30 item enhancers, which are worth quite a bit less than the item was. It's another one of the F2P annoyances that are getting under my skin with this game -- I'd like to start playing with the items but I don't want to waste precious tickets, so I have to wait til the end of the week when I'll have gotten through all the beginner challenges. Plus I don't know what the best items will end up being, so I feel bad leveling anything up.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I don't know what it is exactly, but they've definitely got that One More Game feeling down. I'm disappointed everyone seems to think Charmander's one of the worst Pokemon -- I really like how he feels to play, constantly breathing fire as he runs around kiting melee pokemon. I've always taken the two long range blast moves so he ends up being kind of a medium range bruiser who can back out of a losing fight and kite them to death instead. I see guides that recommend the two charge punch moves instead, or Fire Punch and Flame Blitz (the one that leaves an AOE), but I feel like if you're just gonna play him as a punchman, why not just play Machop or Garchomp instead?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, I don't know how many times I've seen a teammate just walk on past a fight going on, like welp, nothing to do with me! I understand if newbies aren't watching the minimap, but I'll be fighting someone in lane or defending a goal and just over the wall there's a teammate fighting a jungle creep, and he's gotta be able to see me right on his screen! I also had one particularly infuriating moment when I had 50 points and was waddling over with two other teammates to score, and an enemy Gengar and Machomp jump on me out of a bush... and my two teammates keep on walking like nothing's happening while they beat me to a pulp and steal my lunch money.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

They've already got most of the face characters, no? Pikachu, the 3 original starters (at least once Squirtle is released), Lucario, Snorlax, Gengar, just missing Mewtwo and Eevee as far as the big ones go. Are there any really popular ones I'm missing?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Eevee where your eeveelution depends on the actions you take and the stimuli that you're exposed to

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

What item does the final day of the beginner challenge get you? I'm a couple days behind.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

That was given on Day 6 -- I was asking about Day 7, but it looks like the rewards are just the Crustle license and some item enhancers. (Did we know that in advance? I assumed there would be another item attached to one of the missions like all the other days.)

So now that I'm not paralyzed by not knowing which items I get for free, I can move on to my regular ol decision paralysis. Are you guys buying items with gold or tickets? And should I get everything up to level 10 before I try going any higher? I think the advice I've seen is to pick a main and boost the items they want, but I'm really lovely at that. I want to play all the Pokemon and have items for all of them, so every level I put into, say, Scope Lens, seems like a decision never to play Gengar or Ninetails again.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Zodack posted:

For what it's worth, someone on Reddit posted a screenshot of the game refunding you the coins if you later receive a duplicate - except it was for a Unite license, so I'm not sure how it works for items. I'm in the same camp, holding off until I get them for free.

Also seconding the idea that it's hard to get mad at this game with the excellent game length even in ranked. I quit league a long time ago after being convinced with was some MK Ultra scheme designed by the CIA to destroy your ego and happiness over 45 minutes, so it's nice to throw a game in Unite because of bad teammates and go "ah whatever"

You don't get refunded on items, just Pokemon licenses. For duplicate items you get item enhancers instead -- I forget if it was 30 or 40 but it was definitely less than you'd have if you'd used your tickets on item enhancers in the first place.

I'll second the appreciation for the game length. MOBAs in general kinda turn me off with their games that can last 45 minutes or more. I love League of Legends in theory, but in practice it's kinda hard to get myself to start a game sometimes, because while it's super fun when I'm doing well, there's always a risk I get stomped in lane or my team starts hard feeding and then I'm tied to a frustrating game indefinitely.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

World Famous W posted:

I really need to learn to prejudge my battles before I keep getting my self killed. I also need to keep an eye on my teammates in lane with me so I stop thinking they'll follow me into a fight instead of wandering off somewhere.

I'm still bad at mobas

Yep, I watched a youtube video by a League of Legends Challenger about how Gengar was insanely broken, but it turns out that's only true if you've got the game sense of a Challenger-level MOBA player (or at least better game sense than me!) I hit my Sludge Bomb and mash Hex and still somehow get outjuked by the Lucario, or jump into a teamfight and get blown up before I can Hex again.

I hate to say it but I think my favorite champ is Charizard at the moment. I get better results with Eldegoss and Ninetails and Gengar, but there's something that's really satisfying about running around breathing fire on everyone. I think I did get more effective by taking the dash punch moves over the fire blasts, even if it hurts the power fantasy a little bit. But yeah, I do think he needs just a little bit of tuning, maybe a little extra damage on his autos or a little extra tankiness. I was finding myself in losing battles against speedsters who were a level lower than me because I just wasn't taking the huge chunks out of their HP that they were able to do to me.

The Deleter posted:

At some point I'm gonna become the rear end in a top hat who slamdunks an attacker/speedster pick and never back down, because otherwise I'll never get to play that role.

Is this an issue for you? I'd say at least half of my games have at least one person going support or defender, and as long as someone's doing at least one of those things I don't think the team composition is strict enough in this game to prevent you from just locking in your Ninetails or whatever.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Scoring is where my MOBA instincts are kinda throwing up their hands in confusion here. What the heck are you supposed to do if you can't get a dunk, then? I've had quite a few games where my points were maxed out but we just couldn't win a fight decisively enough that I could get some free time under a basket. I suppose the answer is to just back the gently caress off and stop trying to force fights under their goal, but it just kinda feels bad, since then you "waste" time not being able to collect points and leaving orbs on the ground everywhere, and then you eventually die and lose them all anyway (or protect yourself at all costs and don't play as active a role in teamfights). It feels like the only "correct" answer is to win a big fight and dunk the points in, but if your team isn't able to accomplish this then there's no alternative that feels at all reasonable.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

What the heck do you do with Crustle? I tried Shell Smash and X Scissor and it just kinda turned him into a bad fighter, one with a super slow autoattack and only one (admittedly strong) dash punch. And the Rock Tomb/Stealth Rock build felt like I was playing a bad Ninetails. I'm not sure why this guy's in the same class as Slowpoke and Snorlax if he barely has any CC, or why he's not allowed to have the damage of Ninetails if he's not really disrupting anyone.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I swear every single person keeps insisting that Float Stone is good and I just assumed there was some math on it I was missing. I saw a video of the movespeed increase out of combat and I was like "oh yeah I guess that is a lot" but six seconds out of combat sounds nuts, you're almost never attacking stuff for more than six seconds at a time

In that case yeah, it's probably Shell Bell, the SPAtt dunk item, and then Wise Glasses or Aeos Cookie/Assault Vest depending if you wanna go all-in on offense or spare some for defense

Wait though, there's also a hidden cooldown on Shell Bell! The lack of visible data is starting to annoy me quite a bit. Shell Bell and Rocky Helmet looked really good until you find out they only trigger once per fight usually. And I assumed the movespeed and attack made Float Stone good even if it took a while for the out-of-combat movespeed to kick in, but that's because I assumed 80 movespeed was significant... and according to that video Pokemon have like 3000 movespeed so 80 is basically nothing.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I keep comparing him to Pikachu and I think I like Pikachu better in just about every way... except Feint actually lets me survive where Pikachu instantly explodes when a Zeraora jumps on him.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

And I ran into the weekly coin cap. Ran into the energy cap last night, so now I get nothing from battles anymore except EXP. Feels bad, man. At least it resets when, Sunday?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How are the other Supporters besides Eldegoss? I literally never see them played.

I honestly don't know why the other supporters are considered supporters, honestly. Neither of them have heals or team shields except in their ult as far as I know, and not much in the way of support buffs either. They've got CC and walls, but you see that in defenders and attackers too, like Crustle and Ninetails. I would have thought Wigglytuff would have been a defender with the kit she has, but maybe she doesn't have enough health to make the cut? And Mr. Mime is kind of a weird attacker type that can make walls and do AOE damage and steal enemy pokemon's defense? IDK. Eldegoss is the only pokemon that really seems like a support, currently.

(e: also wigglytuff is weird looking I wanted to be jigglypuff and they goddamn well know it, they should have just ignored her evolutions like pikachu.)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Trying to get into Expert League, and the guy spamming he wants to go center switches from Zeraora to Crustle at the last minute. Contributes nothing. No one wants to go to Zapdos despite me pinging it, so me and Charizard hang out nearby and try to steal it and fail, and then they dunk 500 points in the last minute and win by 400 or so. Okay, so I win another game, next round everyone's got attackers so I pick Eldergoss, walk bot lane with Absol and Charizard only to find out neither one of them plans on splitting off into the jungle. I grab some camps and actually gank successfully but everyone is getting poo poo on anywhere that I'm not and we surrender at 5 minutes.

I guess I only wasted 45 minutes instead of 2+ hours like I would in League of Legends, but man I'm remembering why ranked is always such a pain in the rear end. Is there a discord or something where we can queue with other goons?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Zodack posted:

Also, if your team was that ahead of the enemy team there was no need to do Zapdos, just contest it. You don't have to win harder especially when it carries the risk of a huge reversal.

So yes this makes perfect sense and is all around the best choice. But in practice, there is no way to communicate "lets go here but don't actually do the objective" through their comms system, and if you're standing around near Zapdos, about 100% of the time your teammates will actually start fighting the Zapdos. This is not helped by the fact that if you're attacking any enemy or wild pokemon nearby, it's very easy to tag Zapdos by accident and trigger a giant "I'm fighting Zapdos!" banner across everyone's screen. Couple that with the ol' "it's usually better to do a dumb thing as 5 than do the right thing by yourself" MOBA wisdom, and the fact that even if you win a teamfight, you still can't settle down to do Zapdos in peace because there's no smite-analog to secure objective kills means that it feels like a clusterfuck every time.

Also seriously wish they would change the daily reset to like, noon or something. I'm sure 00.00 GMT makes sense to their engineers or whatever, but it means the reset is at 8pm and my lizard brain takes that to mean "get all your daily stuff done late at night and stay up too late playing" and then I never want to play during a reasonable hour because the rewards haven't come back.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

How do you play Greninja? Seems like he's an ADC style champ like Cinderace, huh? I thought he'd be more of a dash-in assassin like Lucario or Absol, but I tried him out last night and he's not anything like I expected -- just a single, relatively low-impact damaging ability, so I guess you just hang out around the edges of the fight shooting autoattacks and water shuriken?

Also, has anyone been playing more Attack Damage focused champs? I'm trying to figure out what item to get to 20 next and I can't decide whether to do Float Stone or Scope Lens for Charizard and Machamp and Cinderace. Or the wildcard Energy Amplifier. (Already did Muscle Band, I even run that one on the ranged SpAtk champs that I usually play.)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Xad posted:

As far as I know, Float Stone only kicks in when you've been out of combat for six seconds, which is almost as much time as it takes to walk from top lane to bottom lane, so it might be better to pick another item? I know Buddy Barrier/Score Shield are just generically good on everyone.

Maybe go with Energy Amplifier? 20% increased damage is massive, or you could try Attack Weight (scaling attack on dunks)

I've got Muscle Band, Wise Glasses, Shell Bell, Buddy Barrier, and Focus Band all up to 20 already, which covers most of the Pokemon I use. I've been running Muscle Band/Buddy Barrier/Focus Band on the attack damage champs, just trying to decide on a second offensive item for them. I see Float Stone on a lot of high level players, but I dunno if people don't realize the OOC movement speed takes so long to kick in, or whether they think the base MS and attack damage on it makes it worthwhile anyway.

I'm not terribly sold on the items that give you stats when you score, though. If I'm winning lane, then I can probably get an easy 2-3 baskets in the first few minutes and it seems like they'd be really powerful... except those are games that I tend to win anyway, since I'm already winning the lane. And in closer games, it tends to be really hard to score baskets and then I've got a blank item for a game where I need every advantage. (I'd love to experiment with Attack Weight/SP Glasses and Score Shield to see how easy it makes scoring, but it's discouraging that I'd have to buy them and probably pump them to at least level 10 just to play around with them.)

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 5, 2021

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

So here are the recommended builds from the rank 1 team:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonUnite/comments/oz3qos/builds_for_every_meta_pokemon_by_the_actual_rank/

quote:

Pikachu
BUDDY BARRIER / ENERGY AMP / WISE GLASSES
Cramorant
Gengar
Gardevoir
Venusaur
BUDDY BARRIER / FOCUS BAND/ WISE GLASSES
Slowbro
BUDDY BARRIER / FOCUS BAND/ WISE GLASSES
Alolan Ninetales
BUDDY BARRIER / MUSCLE BAND / FOCUS BAND
Cinderace
MUSCLE BAND/ BUDDY BARRIER/ SCOPE LENS
Greninja
MUSCLE BAND/ BUDDY BARRIER/ SCOPE LENS
Eldegoss
BUDDY BARRIER / FOCUS BAND / EXP SHARE
Machamp
SCORE SHIELD / BUDDY BARRIER / FOCUS BAND
Snorlax
SCORE SHIELD / BUDDY BARRIER / FOCUS BAND
Lucario
SCORE SHIELD / SCOPE LENS / FOCUS BAND

Buddy Barrier on literally everyone except Lucario, Energy Amp on a lot more pokemon than I would have guessed, and no Shell Bell or Float Stone -- he specifically calls those two out in the post as not worth leveling.

I'm not a good enough player that I make a habit of second-guessing the top players, but I still think it makes sense to take slightly more offensive items in lower ranked games -- I always take Muscle Band on Snorlax and Eldegoss and Machamp, for instance -- because I don't trust my low ranked teammates nearly as much as he trusts his static ranked team, and it helps to be able to win fights when your teammates are being useless.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I don't mind people loving around on Zapdos as much because it doesn't seem as personal. What seems even worse is when I gank bot at 7min, we get a cool double kill and smash their goal down, and then I ping "I need backup!" as I go down to Dredmaw, and these useless fucks ignore me entirely so they can wander further down the lane to the enemy's inner goal and accomplish nothing at all. Then when they invariably get overwhelmed trying to fish for kills under the enemy goal, the survivors lead the enemies all the way back to where I'm doing Dredmaw, forcing me to retreat and handing Dredmaw to the other team.

I swear to god this pattern repeats itself every other game.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Never do Drednaw without protection.

It's always the same things that go through my head, too: "Well, at least they're keeping the enemy away from Drednaw, right?" or "I'm sure they'll peel off and come help once they realize they can't get any kills and/or see me constantly pinging for backup" and then, sadly, "surely they won't run directly here when they get beaten up, right? They'll lead the enemy to the middle or something and not directly here to steal the objective?"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

Sorry but you almost certainly aren’t the priority for last hits, especially at the start where you’re a god amongst mortals

I generally do not give a single gently caress and farm everything I can even with Snorlax or Eldegoss. I will try to split the opening minions with my lanemate, but anytime I walk anywhere on the map, I'm gonna kill every single wild pokemon on my way there. If I'm strong enough early, I can just poo poo all over the enemy laners and then the attackers on my team can level up easily enough. I'm only Expert rank -- maybe this gets better at Ultra or Master rank when you don't get nearly as many useless lumps masquerading as teammates, but I consider an extra level on my own character, whoever I'm playing, as way more valuable than a level on some random jerk that picked Cinderace but doesn't give a gently caress about objectives or scoring goals and doesn't pay enough attention to the minimap to notice a teamfight happening just offscreen.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

Sure, though this is pretty similar to the players running for personal glory that you're moaning about (though nowhere near as dumb as that Bulbasaur)

That wasn't me! I'm of the mind that you have to play to carry at lower ranks, which is not exactly "personal glory" but being a little more selfish so you can handle more fights without help from your team. I would leave the second berry for the other laner though haha.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

War Wizard posted:

Oh I see that fight happening. But ya'll (not specifically anybody here) took every. single. kill. from me so now I'm too underleveled to even engage. So I'm just gonna beat up mobs while you're distracted so I can finally level. If you starve teammates (even snorlax) to the point that they're under the average level by 2, then stop stealing their kills in a drive-by. You can't blame people for not joining in fights they're doomed to die in when you helped put them in the situation.

Does this really happen to you very often? Snorlax in particular is easy to kill secure with early, Tackle does a huge chunk of damage so you can always just hold it til the wild pokemon has 20% health left. It's rare that someone's specifically trying to KS every minion that you wouldn't be able to get a decent chunk this way.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Wait, has it really been confirmed that there's no matchmaking in normal games? That's kinda lame, I play normal games 75% of the time and I only ever want to play like 3 or 4 characters in Ranked.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I played my first games since I got into Expert and immediately lost two and went down to Great. Both games started with two random teammates wandering through the jungle leaving me as Eldegoss solo bot. One game our Zeraora came to lane with me after I pinged for backup, except he didn't want to do anything but run directly at the enemy team if they were anywhere nearby, and then three people voted to surrender at 5min after whatever massacre happened top. I topped damage and points and kills in both games as Eldegoss, which seems really silly. Thankfully the third game the enemy team had the pants on their head instead of mine and we won at 5min after they surrendered.

If this is the only mode with matchmaking then I don't even know what the gently caress. A huge chunk of these games are decided by how many people on either team actually understand how to play the game. Part of it is that I need to play more Greninja and Pikachu so I can carry games, but it's still essentially a slightly-weighted coinflip and it really puts me off wanting to grind out enough Ranked games to get into the higher ranks.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

It gets very, very slow after the first couple weeks. The onboarding stuff is fairly generous, though -- you'll get 3 free pokemon from logging in the first two weeks, and there's a week-long Beginner Challenge that gets you some free held items, currencies, and Crustle on Day 7. After that, though, you just get 20-50g per game (up to a weekly max of 2k) and daily quests that award you 200g and 100 tickets, and then battle pass dailies that should get you a single battle pass level (which has varying rewards). Trainer Level-up rewards are also usually generous, but once you get out of the teens it'll be several days between levels even if you're playing every day. And then there's the gacha, which gives you a free pull every 5-6 games but again limits you to 14 pulls per week, and only rewards cosmetics and low values of currency.

I recommend buying the items you don't get through the Beginner Challenge with gold rather than tickets -- it might seem like you have a lot of tickets, but they're actually harder to get, since there's no real way to grind tickets, and the upgrade costs on items scale way out of control so that you'll be scrounging to get your items to 20 long after you've got a decent stable of Pokemon to play.

They really leaned hard into the F2P psychological game imo -- I really dislike how hard they worked to obscure how difficult it is to acquire currency once the onboarding stuff is gone. You have a lot of stuff to do and you're showered with cool freebies for the first week or two, and you may or may not realize it's all from one-time, nonrepeatable events and missions. And then by the time you're "hooked", you realize you're only getting 500g a day and maybe 20-30 tickets depending on how lucky you are with the gacha and battle pass rewards, and it'll be weeks of grinding before you can buy another Pokemon or finish upgrading the item you're using.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Has anyone bought Blissey? I played around with her a little bit in training mode, but it's hard to get a good feel for them there, obviously. I'd be interested to see how the heal on Soft Boiled compares to Eldegoss's Cotton Guard, and how much tankier she ends up being to make up for her melee attack vs Eldegoss ranged. I think the default other ability in solo queue is going to always be Egg Bomb -- Helping Hand might be really good if you've got a Greninja/Cinderace buddy that you play with, but personally I think it'd be a nightmare to play solo games with no offensive abilities and I wouldn't want to risk taking it and having a bunch of useless assholes on the team that don't take advantage of it.

Just on paper and without good numbers for her, I don't see her as being anything other than a second-rate Eldegoss -- Egg Bomb and its short CC seems roughly comparable to Leaf Tornado and its movement speed, and Soft Boiled seems roughly comparable to Cotton Guard (unless it turns out to heal for much more?) so I don't see a good reason to give up the good harassment that Eldegoss can do with his ranged autos.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I don't see how it's ever going to be worth picking Safeguard over Soft Boiled except in organized play -- purging status effects seems useful but really niche when you're choosing it over a move that actually heals your teammates. I definitely might be overestimating how hard it's going to be for a random pubbie to make use of Helping Hand, though.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Played some Pikachu last night, had a really tough game with pretty evenly-matched teams, and I just tore it the gently caress up. I didn't get MVP because I only managed to score once early on, but I got 15 kills and won all the teamfights for us, and at the end I got 3 comms and a friend request from one of the enemy team. Feels good man. :kimchi: I really have to play more Ranked games but I'm put off by Pikachu falling down the tier lists lately, since he's the Attacker I seem to gel with the most. People say he falls off lategame, but I usually don't feel that at all, I just wish he was a little less squishy when a Zeraora or Talonflame wants to jump on him. I do Buddy Barrier/Wise Glasses and then either Focus Band or Muscle Band or Energy Amplifier as the last item. Probably the Focus Band is the best, but I feel bad not taking more damage items. I've been trying to play Ninetails instead, and I like her, but it just doesn't feel as good as being the electric rat. I wonder if he'd benefit from Energy Amplifier and Shell Bell together, for the cooldown reduction they have. The Electroball cooldown is short as-is, and it'd be nice to be able to pump those out faster, but I think the total CDR for both items is only 6% at level 20, so it's probably not worth it. Would like to see a new item with a more noticeable amount of CDR on it.

municipal shrimp posted:

I play eldegoss exclusively in ranked and right now I'm running muscle band, xp share, and buddy barrier. Buddy barrier is a must have because of the amount of shields it gives, 40% at level 20, muscle band helps do more damage while you poke, and xp share which feels a little useless even at level 10 but does increase your move seed.

I do a lot of Eldegoss too, and I run Muscle Band/Buddy Barrier with Wise Glasses instead of XP Share. Maybe this is wrong, but I really don't like the idea of XP Share in solo queue -- even as Eldegoss, I'm usually not the lowest level on the team since my games are usually plagued with teammates who want to hang out at the enemy goal and SOMEONE has to eat all the wild pokemon that spawn while they're off being useless. I also don't want to be the lowest level, frankly. Eldegoss puts out some very reasonable damage for all his utility, and Muscle Band autos and Wise Glasses Leaf Tornado lets me get kills and have some initiative rather than just following around the likeliest-looking attacker.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 24, 2021

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

blastwah

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Stagger Heavy Slam and Yawn and you get like 5 seconds of stun, which is enough to win 1v1s against most Pokemon in the game. I gotta think between the stun and the gap-closer on Slam you've gotta be more effective than just empowered Flail autos.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

It's a tried-and-true MOBA tradition to immediately ff after losing the very first fight. After all, the game is about snowballing advantages, and the other team got the first advantage, so they're definitely gonna win unless they make a bunch of mistakes and who even wants to win a game just because the opponents keep screwing up?

But I think part of it is the lack of information. I will get spammed with surrender votes from what I imagine is the other lane getting stomped, and I'm thinking no way dude, we're kicking rear end over here, these guys are chumps. But they can't see that we're two levels ahead and 8 kills to 0 in the other lane, so they assume that since they're getting beaten up, it must be a lost cause.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, the struggling messages sound bad, but it's not actually that many points in relation to dunks in the last two minutes.

I would also like a better announcer for kills, I feel like it'd be easier to notice if you're hearing "An enemy has been slain--Double kill!" rather than the anemic little splotch sound and the little banner that's often several seconds behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You guys ever used to watch Supermarket Sweep when you were a kid? It kinda reminds me of that. It was this 30-min long game show, and the bulk of the show was typical game show stuff, quizzing the contestants on prices with points given out for correct answers, that sort of thing. After 20+ minutes of this, they finally get to the main draw of the show, the titular Supermarket Sweep, where contestants run through a grocery store throwing things into their cart, and the person whose cart has the highest total value wins the ENTIRE game show. So really, the first twenty minutes are almost completely worthless -- if you're leading in points, then you might get a ten second head start on the Supermarket Sweep, but if the other guy grabs enough expensive steaks and giant cheese wheels then you just lose, even if you embarrassed him in every challenge until then.