Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread yet, but there are some things you can turn on in settings (X on the main menu, bottom option, or + then - in game) under Controls that are extremely important!

First of all, you can change your control type from the normal version where the basic attack button is A and that's it to:

ADVANCED MODE which makes B also work to basic attack, but if you're near wild pokemon AND opposing pokemon, B will only attack wild pokemon and A will only attack opposing pokemon, which can be super important for picking targets properly! I managed to steal a Zapdos like this once, Heavy Slam'd into it as Snorlax while the entire enemy team was fighting it and managed to slap it to death before they could KO me or it

The other important option is the Lock On Circle, which will appear on the right side of the screen lets you lock on to specific opposing pokemon when they're nearby using the right stick, so you can auto-attack a far away pikachu with 5hp instead of the close by Snorlax with full health

There's also a Boosted Attack Gauge which isn't as important as the other two settings, but it'll show little pips under your health bar when you do basic attacks that'll let you know when you're about to get a boosted attack, can be useful if you need to remember how many attacks until a boosted attack, since most are 3, but some are other numbers, like Garchomp gets one at 5 attacks

Unrelated to the above, but I love Gengar, Sludge Bomb->Hex is nuts, Hex is a blink that does damage, but if the target was afflicted by poison/burn/etc. it does even more damage and the cooldown goes to like 1 second, so you just poison someone and then teleport on top of them like 3-4 times to do a huge burst of damage each time. I know Venusaur also has Sludge Bomb and Charizard can inflict burns and stuff so I wonder what the ideal "let a Gengar destroy everyone" team would be

Xad fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Bruceski posted:

Is there a way to rearrange your selection lineup? It gets rather clunky as the thing gets longer and I'd like to order according to the ones I pick most often.

I don't think so and it's part of something I hope they improve soon, every menu is extremely laggy even ones that probably don't need to be server-based

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Phenotype posted:

How does Slowbro's blue health work? I thought that was his Oblivious passive, but if you're in a fight, then you die as soon as your green health is all gone even if you've got a full bar of blue.

Oblivious only makes some damage delayed, so you can still do enough to KO them normally

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice
Add several eeveelutions but they all start as eevee with Tackle and Sand Attack and they evolve at level 4

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Bogart posted:

As a HOTS refugee, I was kinda enjoying myself, but I really am concerned about the item enhancement mechanic as P2W. The other monetization I can kinda ignore, whatever, but that's a way that Player 1 Walletman can come into the game mechanically better than Player 2, Poor.

People ran numbers on the items and the difference between lv 20 and lv 30 of an item is almost negligible, which is good to know especially since 20 is pretty easy to get to while 30 takes forever without money

Also iirc for example the cookie that gives you more max hp? At max level it gives you like 200hp, which is less than a Ninetails auto attack

so while it is kinda annoying that the levels are even there to begin with, it doesn't seem like having everything maxxed out (or even leveled all that much) is at all necessary

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I don't think I "get" Cinderarce... he's probably the character I'm the worst at. I feel stronger as Gengar or Slowbro or Charizard... I feel like one on one, I die as Cinderace more often than I beat the enemy.

You want to weave auto attacks with abilities, since every time you use an ability it makes your next auto attack a boosted attack. It's honestly to the point where you don't really get most of your damage from abilities, it's mostly boosted auto attacks that do a shitload, and also definitely use your range to your advantage, you want to try to hit people on the very edge of your attack range, and back up while you're doing it

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I've been seeing a lot of blog posts about how this game is crazy with AI bots, not like people cheating, but the game wanting to keep queue timers down so it just puts you into games with 5 humans v 5 bots. I've noticed a few games that were just one sided stomps even at relatively higher level of ranked matches, clearly something is up.

The bots always do the same thing, they fight any creeps they find, and if there's none they run down lane and try to score, if you run into them they basically stand still and auto attack, and then when they get low they just turn around and go back.

I think it's been mentioned before but it seems like the game will put you into a vs bots game if you lose 3 times in a row

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Phenotype posted:

Also, has anyone been playing more Attack Damage focused champs? I'm trying to figure out what item to get to 20 next and I can't decide whether to do Float Stone or Scope Lens for Charizard and Machamp and Cinderace. Or the wildcard Energy Amplifier. (Already did Muscle Band, I even run that one on the ranged SpAtk champs that I usually play.)

As far as I know, Float Stone only kicks in when you've been out of combat for six seconds, which is almost as much time as it takes to walk from top lane to bottom lane, so it might be better to pick another item? I know Buddy Barrier/Score Shield are just generically good on everyone.

Maybe go with Energy Amplifier? 20% increased damage is massive, or you could try Attack Weight (scaling attack on dunks)

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Jerk McJerkface posted:

It really helps if you have a dash pokemon, get just one mouse kill, goal 1 pt, get another mouse kill, 1pt and get a couple quick stacks. I do this with Cinderace and it helps snowball since the 1pt dunk is quick.

Yeah this is also why score shield helps, since it gives you a small shield while scoring and you can't be interrupted until the shield breaks, so it's not that useful late game but absolutely helps sneak goals earlier since they can't just auto you once to stop it

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Does score shield have a cool down? I'm not sure how it's mechanic works.

https://www.serebii.net/pokemonunite/holditems/scoreshield.shtml

According to serebii it's 6 seconds

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Mega64 posted:

The game rewards you for going for MVPs, so it wants you to be selfish and maximize your own gains to the detriment of you team’s. You still get MVP if your team loses, after all! Hell, I got a MVP for scoring a measly ten points because no one else on my team scored anything that game. Plus winning as a team is basically a coin flip anyway, either you start with excellent team synergy or you don’t and the other team probably does. You’re just grinding time more than anything until you get those team wins.

The lesson of Pokemon Unite is that teamwork is a filthy lie. It doesn’t matter whether you win or lose, all that matters is where you end up. Pokemon Unite is a libertarian utopia, where the illusion of teamwork lets the selfish prosper while the selfless falter and get exploited. If you want to succeed in the game, you have to sacrifice part of your inner humanity and accept you have to hurt others to put yourself ahead.

Right now, I’m happy sacrificing the advancement of my own goals and letting random teammates I’ll never see again score bigger goals just to win a short-term battle. I feel once you get beyond that, you’ve already lost the game and there’s no fun to be had anymore unless you get off on making others suffer, in which case Pokemon Unite is an excellent game for you…except you can’t even enjoy the wailings and misery of those you inflict suffering on due to the lack of chat options.

Thus Pokemon Unite is only a good game for the truly selfless, as the selfish will find no fulfillment and will instead realize the emptiness of their lives. If you want personal gain, Pokemon Unite will make you unhappy and miserable. Only through pure teamwork and selflessness can you properly enjoy Pokemon Unite and accept a beautiful utopia of love and understanding that unfortunately must never be in this world.

source your quotes

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

W.......who would do that.........[sweats nervously]

(I only did it one time to someone who intentionally stopped playing the game and just stood top lane and ran in circles for the last three mins of the game and caused us to lose by 30 points)

Uh that's not abusing it? That's what it's for in your case

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

inkmoth posted:

Ok, so I've recently discovered Telekinesis on Slowbro, and now I'm requesting goon support, since I clearly don't care about actually winning the game:

How do we make a team with the most stuns and other annoying abilities? Clearly we need a Slowbro, but I don't know much about the other defenders so basically what's the most CC we can pack into a team? Probably Mime / Snorlax / Eldegoss / at least one attacking pokemon, maybe?

All of the defenders have a lot of CC, though Crustle's is only on their ult unless you count making a wall. Could go with Ninetails for an attacker since they get passive stuns and can also have knockback and another wall? Lucario has a knockup every 3rd auto, Machamp has Submission, and Pikachu can stun with Thunder and slow with Electro Ball? I think Gardevoir can have some cc too, but I'm not as familiar with them

Wall Team would be:
Snorlax with Block
Crustle with Rock Tomb
Alolan Ninetails with Blizzard
Mr. Mime with Barrier

Uhhhh dunno who for a 5th, I think that's all the walls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Phenotype posted:

Zeraora's Discharge is really good, but it's on a substantial cooldown and he's a lot easier to kill. You just gotta get away from him until it's over and then he's helpless for a good 8 seconds or so. Lucario does similar damage but he's got a million dashes, shields, and heals, and for the damage he does he's way too hard to pin down and kill even when he's doing something stupid like chasing people around behind your goal.

(Which I guess technically makes it not stupid since he can do it and get away, but it's stupid that he's able to do it in the first place.)

lucario has one shield on their passive when they get to low health, and they have no way of healing themselves so I'm not really sure what you're talking about here other than "has many dashes"