Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I started playing this yesterday thinking "eh, it's free" and now I've been playing it constantly in my free time. The real draw is the ten minute matches and not getting called a slur when you do literally anything. Alolan Ninetales is an absolute killer and I am like 70% sure Crustle is no good.

Do you have to buy multiple copies of Held Items for your loadouts? Cos I haven't got to upgrading any of them yet and this is going to make that annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I would like to get into a game with a few people that actually communicate at some point, since the one game where we had an actual midlane/jungle was pretty awesome. Otherwise it usually ends up being everyone in lanes and nobody picking up the xp in there. I also need to pick up an All-Rounder at some point.

I've started trying to feed xp to whoever will evolve quickly in my lane and seeing if it makes a difference, but in pubs it's a coin toss if they make use of the stat boost or not.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Cinderace owns, you take that back :mad:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Psssst.

Eldegoss RULES. You can make your entire team practically invincible. Don't sleep on it.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I always take the Pollen Puff but I find it hard to aim at an ally during a battle. Maybe I'll get the attack one and use it to farm and then just depend on the AOE heal for top ups.

Pollen Puff is good on a heavy melee team comp. If you throw it on an attacker diving in, they get the heal and the enemy don't want to be near them. It's also good if you stick it on someone as a "kill this fuckin idiot" signal. Everyone wants to be healed, after all.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I think the only two Pokemon that spring to mind specicially that I'd want to play are Deoxys (where you could have it take on different roles depending on what skills you pick) and maybe the Honedge line just because a cool ghost sword owns. Other than that, I'd want them to keep it weird and not lean too hard on the popular/face characters. I'd play the weird stonehenge one from Sword/Shield, for example!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
As long as they don't end up like League where there's 200+ characters and every skill tooltip becomes an essay to hubris they can add as much as they want.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
At some point I'm gonna become the rear end in a top hat who slamdunks an attacker/speedster pick and never back down, because otherwise I'll never get to play that role.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Between Slowbro's surf and telekinesis, you can be an absolute rear end in a top hat. Scald is pretty weak, and Amnesia is fine but doesn't help your team out so much. Between those and his Unite skill you can lock people down for forever.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Tempura Wizard posted:

Dunno if this counts as CC but Mr. Mime has walls and can use his psychic to slam people into them and stun them or use them to separate groups / prevent retreats and it's a whole lotta fun.

I had a Mr Mime with me as Ninetails and having multiple ways to hurl people into his walls is very funny and makes people's health bars vanish.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The burst is too drat high and as much as I love my boy Cinderace, I'm glad he's getting nerfed.

Lol at Zeraora players though. Basically every Zeraora player I've seen is like Yasuo in League in that they massively overestimate themselves and die a lot.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I threw away a really good game on Charizard because my team, myself included, trickled in one by one into the zapdos fight and got facerolled by the enemy team. I think I'm definitely going to have to get on a chat and start co-ordinating now.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
It's a double edged sword, in that I cannot communicate any complex concepts to the rest of my team but also I don't hear any slurs, and honestly I'll take that trade.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I got Machamp and he owns. I'll take running at a guy and suplexing them to death over "maybe hit and slow a guy" Charizard any day.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Playing against Lucario is awful. I hate it.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Jerk McJerkface posted:

edit: actually last night we had a Jungle Mr Mime and he WRECKED. It was nuts. I'm not sure what about Mr Mine mad that work, but it was almost like he was cheating.

So I originally was going to respond that Mr Mime does more damage if he pushes stuff into a wall, and then I looked it up and apparently that's not the case! So apparently this weird clown is just really good for some reason.

Edit: I'm wrong, it's Confusion that does that. If Mr Mime's jungling fast then yeah I can see him coming out early at Level 6 and murdering people with a wall/confusion.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 13, 2021

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm aiming to get Blissey. I think you're underestimating how good movement and attack speed is - catching up to someone or getting away from them is incredibly powerful in a game where only a handful of Pokemon walk particularly quickly, and with a Cinderace or Greninja with more than one brain cell it will basically hand them a way to win a fight. I think they are absolutely going to be more difficult to play when compared to Eldegoss who can poo poo out shielding in a big circle, but they are still powerful.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I mean there's basically nothing to talk about until the mobile version drops, which presumably will come with a patch and we'll see if that addresses anything. Nobody wants to turn this thread into a blog complaining about their bad games or whatever.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Max the claw held item and put it on absol for the love of God, you'll never lose a game again

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I just threw on them on some random poo poo because we'll probably get more in very limited fashion in the future, and you can grind to get to 30. I'm not super worried about optimizing especially when the item passive doesn't scale past 20.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Be warned - there's an exploit going around where by doing some weird poo poo where an entire team tries not to score and surrenders early, the game bugs out and gives the win to them instead of the other team. I'd stay away from ranked until it gets hotfixed.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

War Wizard posted:

Lol.. is it a 0 - 0 tie and the surrendering team wins?

Nope, you can be winning 300+ points and they'll win

Apparently it's a weird cache issue actually? I have no clue how this bug works but apparently clear your cache.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
It's just the nature of the game. Blastoise was busted on release, Mamoswine is good to mediocre. Sylveon is egregious, but after a certain point no amount of numbers and math survives contact with actual players.

Bumping up all of her moves/evolutions by a level would probably help though, because she gets Talonflame levels of murder power real fast.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm still playing on and off. I'll echo Phenotype in that the game itself is fun and the entire ecosystem surrounding it is incredibly frustrating. It's been a year and there's no draft pick, there's maybe four support type Pokemon and we're only just getting a new speedster in Dodrio, and they're welding every single form of monetisation and grind onto the side of it like some frankenstien's monster.

Playing Aegislash owns tho so it's impossible to say if its good or bad.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Well there's a new map coming where zapdos is replaced with Rayquaza but no clue if its got any mechanical differences or if it's just a coat of paint.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
So I did a quick fact-find and it looks like Rayquaza doesn't make the goals defenceless, but essentially hands out a shield that's basically Score Shield and Goal Getter (the one that speeds up scoring attempts) to whichever team gets it. So you can probably defend now even if you lose Rayquaza but it's still an advantage. It's not coming to ranked straight away, and god knows if it ever will, but that's something.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I've noticed the targeting bug as well and it's deifnitely got me killed at least once. Very frustrating. I do like the map changes in general, though.

I don't think I'm going to be able to complete the Mew event in time, since it looks like it requires a lot of playtime, particularly with the friends I do not have. :v:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Man, been on a real losing streak recently. I'm not used to what's good yet - when to prioritise Regieleki over the other Regis is still new to me, and getting teams to co-ordinate and push or fight at Rayquaza properly is losing me a lot of games. I should probably check all my builds and stuff again.

Edit: Going full attack/crit Machamp rocks actually. What a glow up this guy got!

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 7, 2022

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Aquila posted:

I'm picking this game back up after playing it a bit at launch and have no clue what to do with items and emblems. Am I just forever behind because I haven't been playing the whole time? Are there any reliable guides out there?

They replaced all the weird gubbins in the energy capsule thing with emblems, so just play a bunch and use any of the energy tanks the game throws at you and you'll build up a collection. The important thing is you start with three pages and can buy more (to a total of eight), but generally to start you want:
  • A tank page - six whites, two blue and two purple will see you right. This can be used for all-rounders as well - Aegislash prefers to go tanky.
  • An attack/crit page of reds and browns, with maybe some yellows, for attack/speedsters and any more aggressive All-Rounders like Machamp.
  • A cooldown and special attack page for mages like Delphox, Mew, etc. Just slam greens and blacks in there.

You can buy an extra page or two to get more specifici but those three will be absolutely fine to start with.

You can figure out who wants what, and item build guides, at UniteDB. They aren't super up to date and won't help you too much with Emblems, but they'll tell you what items are generally good, and what attack stats the pokemon scales off so you can build correctly. Don't sweat emblems too much. The game will find excuses to throw item enhancers and the purple tickets for more item enhancers, so you can get stuff to 20 fairly well and work on 30 over time.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Yeah, the new map has an issue where if one team has even an iota more co-ordination than the other, you get more XP and slam dunk on the enemy, then you can take their farm and really put the boot in. You have to really be on the ball, especially in solo queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Dodrio has dropped. Good news: they may have buffed tri attack cos it seems to be much more damaging than it used to be. Bad news: you can't get it with coins for a week - you have to fork out for it. That's fine by me cos it gives me another week to get to the amount of coins I need, but it does feel scummy as a business practice.