Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I've only just gotten the game a few days ago but from my experience if we're losing we are loving losing, and Zapdos showing up is just to compound further humiliation onto a team that cannot get it together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Avalerion posted:

Sick of spamming headed to center area when zapdos spawns and my team just fucks around in lane. Done with game. :sadwave:

Shame because the mechanics and characters are cool but yea, Zapdos + dumb kids being dumb ruins this.

Hey you forgot to factor in us grown adults who main Talonflame and are too scared to go into the Zapdos killbox where they'll be torn apart :colbert:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

War Wizard posted:

That said, I'm seeing more competence even in non-ranked matches. Alot more pubbies pushing the mid lane mobs right at the start, bigger fights on Dreadmaw, and more people using pings to coordinate. I personally can never hit the "headed to bottom lane" ping, it always flicks to a different one when I let go. I try to check players trainer cards during the game load to see if they're still in default clothes, it's usually a good indicator of how newbie I can expect them to be.

I feel like I’ve gotten a pretty good handle on the game, floating in and out of expert rank and have a pretty reliable Talonflame strategy. But I can’t find the option to edit the trainer card for the life of me. There are so many different menus in this game.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

War Wizard posted:

Portrait icon in the top left (L button) goes to trainer info screen. The push X at the profile section to edit, and X again while editing to update fashion.

Finally yes, thank you! Now everyone can know I have style.

The lack of information this game gives you is kind of jarring? I’ve had to go to Reddit to learn how a lot of the mechanics work.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Hot take but I think people should surrender more. The enemy team moves with the coordination and ruthlessness of green berets while most of our guys haven't tried to score yet. You really think Zapdos is gonna turn this around? Buddy you aren't even gonna see Zapdos, you'll be up there in the top lane throwing a crab boil with the rest of the team.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I've had some good comebacks where someone robs Zapdos out from under the enemy team and we all start dunking mad hoops. But man...when you know, you know. Today I went up against a team so in sync that 4 of them would funnel us back up our lane while the 5th guy beat Dreadnaw to death, and this worked twice. It's pure hubris to think there was ever a chance we'd out-maneuver those freaks.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Avalerion posted:

Sick of spamming headed to center area when zapdos spawns and my team just fucks around in lane. Done with game. :sadwave:

Shame because the mechanics and characters are cool but yea, Zapdos + dumb kids being dumb ruins this.

Should've heeded this post's warning. The game's fun levels take a significant dive when most matches are a stomp out cause 40% of your team prefer to mindlessly kill bots while the rest of us get thrashed. If you lose enough games they put you in a match with 9 bots and they don't even try and pretend you weren't just sent to the Weenie Hut Jr. Every time it happens my interest in the game starts to free fall.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm generally immune to cosmetics and this game is no exception, they're gonna have to pull off something insane to get me to buy one, but I do have an idea of what they could do though. Skins that just change Pokemon into other Pokemon. Sylveon gets a skin that turns them into Espeon, moves get a slight color shift or something

I really don't get the holowear. They're all butt ugly and hard to notice in match when attacks are flying everywhere, but if I would turn Talonflame into Staraptor that might've actually worked on me. The microtransactions they have are pretty scummy but done in such a way that there's almost no pressure to buy in, which I guess is a good thing? I wonder if it's intentional.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Once you accept that the game is just like that™ even the games where you're clearly gonna lose and lose badly can at least be funny. I picked up Mr.Mime and he feels weak as hell but it's too fun to constantly inconvenience the enemy team with barriers and shoves.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
My first match after coming back from a few days was inexplicably a bot match, and it looks like they've considerably bumped up the AI in those matches. Your allies don't spam retreat as much and the enemy are actually able to evolve and take objectives. I actually only barely won and couldn't just mindlessly mash attacks like every bot match before.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I’ve been rolling solo but managed to get to masters through sheer repetition and I’ve found the biggest changes are A) noticeable lack of the gible players who absolutely suck rear end and are having a terrible time but it’s fun to watch them struggle and B) the enemy team is almost always a group.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Makes sense, I used to main Gengar until I discovered my crabby boi, but I think there's a couple reasons people used sludge bomb instead of shadow ball. I believe that the tool tip for Hex says that the cool down resets if you use on someone with a status effect, but I think it only actually works for poison, so shadow ball doesn't help. Also the nerf to hex is causing what you say I think where hex is just a suicide move.

So I played a bit last night and had some good games, we had a 50% win rate, which isn't bad given most of us weren't on voice.

Just a few things I wanted to get in thread:

1) scoring gives you a decent amount of health. I run score shield on crustle, so I dunk 5 or 10 points a bunch during the early game, and steal their berries. I hide in bushes until I have just enough time left on Shell Smash to get to their goal, and dunk, and then Shell Smash is off cool down just as I finish the dunk and I can snatch the berries and run off, rinse and repeat. It keeps their top laners busy with a fools errand while the other top can farm or rotate bottom for Dread. This tested system usually means you can get 50 points, deny their berries, and sustain for days.

2) rushing T2 is always a problem unless you are really far ahead, and if you do, remember to score on the extreme furthest edge of the goal since if they superjump in it won't get you.

3) and most important (I think this one of the main things separates lower ranks from master) if you are in the lead, defend but don't kill Zapdos. The last hit on Zap is always a 50/50 since it's easy to steal, so don't get Zap to that point, just defend and never kill him. Even if you get 3 or 4 of them, just sit on zap, don't be the guy that lets the remaining Eldegoss ult in and snatch him.'

Oh and to add to this, if you do take Zap and dunk mad hundos, go back to your base! If you let your opponents have their way with your goals while you fart around in the wild you wind up losing by 4 points.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I played against a good chunk of Mamos last night and I don't know if Talonflame's just that good now but it felt way easier to 1v1 than expected? I guess it could be a while before players figure out what he does best but it's kinda refreshing they didn't throw another hopelessly busted pokémon on the pile.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Yeah after that post I realized Talonflame is a loving monster now. Used to be you could only take on enemies that were already knocking on death's door to even have a chance at coming out on top, now I'm divebombing into crowds and just wiping teams. Greninja went from my most hated enemy to a delicious entrée.

too bad the Unite Move's still awful. If I'm not dying during the massive windup then I'm pushing the enemy Zeraora into my own team and getting them electrocuted to death.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Yeah Sylveon's so shamelessly busted that it kinda doesn't feel fun playing it. Hyper Voice is the funnier option but mystical fire might as well have 0 sec cooldown and gives you a dash for no reason. Like I get that releasing overpowered heroes will get people to spend more money but...play it a little closer to the vest y'now?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I guess it is nice that they'll give older pokemon a ridiculous game breaking buff that brings them in line with new releases. It kinda makes matches a bit monotonous since naturally everyone's using the busted rear end mons exclusively.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Bot matches have gotten even worse since now they gave the AI a difficulty bump while your bot teammates still play like dogshit. Now you get to suffer the indiginity of slogging through an obvious pity match that you'll almost certainly lose if you don't play your rear end off. It's such a poorly implemented feature. Between that and a huge amount of my last matches being up against premade 5 man units the game's just not as fun playing solo anymore.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Note that this won't select the move for you on level up, but instead if you don't select either move it'll pick your default after some time.

And if you're like me and had to put the game down until something changed, they just rolled out a shitton of nerfs and buffs. Venusaur, Lucario and Zeraora got hit (Talonflame got...better...), even Zapdos and Drednaw got a nerf.

edit: I'm too slow! At least I hope this makes Mr.Mime less of a slog to get going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Xad posted:

lucario has one shield on their passive when they get to low health, and they have no way of healing themselves so I'm not really sure what you're talking about here other than "has many dashes"

Apparently physical attackers like Lucario get lifesteal on basic attacks at level 5, so if you can do crazy damage like Lucario you're gonna get a good chunk back.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Venusaur actually got Solar Beam buffed, and they just reduced the regen on Giga-drain, so his status a run in lunatic is slightly reduced, but I don't think he'll be so unviable. The days of 80-90k damage with petal and giga are not over.

Oh wow, sucks! Well maybe the chance to play as...Greedent...can pull me back in...