Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

mandatory lesbian posted:

i wanted to try this since it seemed like a simplified moba and like LOL and stuff was way too much for me to keep up with, is it not that simple?

It still follows the basic structures of a MOBA. The game's got a tutorial that explains a lot of the questions you're asking, but there's still the basic strategy layer of a moba. There's a limited number of resources on the entire map that you need to share and distribute between your team, and the enemy team is going to fight you over those resources. Because every level up is such a big power upgrade, you want to take into account at what points every character on your team is going to be the most powerful and distribute resources accordingly. This might seem like a lot, but honestly just sort of following a guide/recommendation is enough to play. Even in Dota, a quote unquote "real" moba, people still just sort of do whatever is generally accepted. Running the hero Axe in the safelane and buying the item Manta style on him is right now the most-used hero strategy at the three most recent tournaments and I still get people who yell at me for doing it in games because "uhhhh Axe is supposed to go offlane" because that's just been the most common strategy for the last several years. Very few people are analyzing all these factors on their own, so just following advice of "run this hero here and do this" will absolutely be enough for you to have a fun time, even if you don't exactly understand all of the behind-the-scenes numbers.

My general overall piece of advice is that you need to be ready at the 2:00 mark to fight Zapdos. He gives every member of your team 20 points, which are doubled to 40 at the 2:00 mark or below, and makes it so for the next 20 seconds all dunks are instant, so whoever gets it can just run to the nearest goal for minimum 200 points. Plus, cooldowns go up exponentially at the 2:00 mark so generally my experience is that unless a game is an absolute blowout, whoever wins a fight at Zapdos just wins the game. Make absolutely sure you save your Unite move when it starts to get around that time, keeping in mind it using it also boosts all your stats afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah I'm coming to realize that stuns and slows are insanely good. The game has a lot of anime swordfighter characters that teleport behind you (Talonflame, Zeraora, Absol, etc) but being able to interrupt their combo totally shuts them down. I just did a lane with Snorlax and no one could get away from us

I'm at Great Ball Rank 4 and games are starting to get tough. Unfortunately, most games are decided by a snowball and I can usually tell what will end up happening within the first two minutes. It's 90% people who know how to play but the occasional person who still just doesn't understand how the game works, and so you'll occasionally see one person veer off to try and be the second jungler and you know the game's over immediately. The big thing is that almost every game has the exact same combination of characters so I'm practicing Machamp to see if I'm gonna buy him and take him to ranked because being able to shut down the jungler when he comes to your lane to nothing personnel kid your teammate seems to be incredibly important to making sure he doesnt get like thirty kills and instantly deletes Zapdos

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Caidin posted:

Games fun. Kinda wish I knew what I was doing with Cinderace better, but I'll try and figure them out eventually. I'm annoyed by Flame charge because i feel I like I want to keep my distance and use it as an escape option and not like... turn around and getting into biting range of a Garchomp like it defaults too. The feint option only sometimes is offered.

Before the game you can set a default build that you will auto-follow if you don't make a skill selection during the game. You're supposed to be asked about every skill every game, only thing I can think of is that you level up mid-fights and it skills up before you're able to make a selection because you're focusing on the fight. I agree that Flame Charge is a much better ability though, Cinderace is like a sniper you want to keep away from the fight and so Flame Tackle is best used as a disengage, unless there's only one enemy left and you know you can use it to chase without anyone retaliating

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I don't think I've had any AFK ragers but I've had like five or so games where someone is just AFK from the start of the game. I've realized that if you queue into a match but then don't pick a Pokemon, the game randoms you one and you get put into the game anyways. Though, I did just report the last guy who never left base and it immediately hit me with a feedback saying they were punishing him, which is cool. I've been watching moistcritical play all night and he's had a reasonable number of AFKers, too, but again, never mid-match, just from the get go

In other news, I'm no meta slave or whatever but I gotta say, I can really see an internal tier list emerging in my brain. By which I mean, almost every hero is pretty good but I have never once seen a single Cramorant win unless there's one on both teams. I just don't know what this guy does other than nothing. Had one guy pick him two games in a row, once on my team and then once on the enemy team and he lost both games. I can think of a few Pokemon I think are better than the rest of the cast, but I can't think of any other ones I say "ugh god please no" other than Cramorant

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Zapdos is the most important thing in the entire game by a million miles and if you get it it's an instawin. The only exception is if you take Zapdos and then get teamwiped. It's almost 100% the correct play every game to let the enemy get into the pit and then drop every ult on them because if you do it's impossible to lose

On a more general strategy layer, yeah goaltending is maybe one of the most important skills in the game that I rarely see anyone do. All the time I'll see my entire team shift down to the bot lane to try and help out (which almost entirely involves standing in from of the enemy hoop aimlessly) and I realize that, "oh, this is my entire team," as an enemy Zeraora with 40 points waltzes into our top hoop uncontested for a free dunk. Once the laning phase breaks down, I notice that I go back to base and jump pad back out to the opposite lane to defend the goal way more than most other players. Certain characters are GREAT for this, like Venusaur and Crustle, so you can hold off several enemies solo while your entire team deathballs some other lane

Lastly, with regards to score: I think the notifications might be based on percentage of score as opposed to any solid numbers. I've gotten notifications that "We're REALLY struggling" in games where I end up winning by kind of a lot. I'm guessing that the way it works is that if you have like, less than half of your opponent's score you get that notification, even if in reality you have 100 points and the enemy has 200 so the difference is actually pretty easy to overcome if you just don't fall behind in levels and make it to lategame

e: Machamp is absolutely nuts and one of my contenders for best character

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Jerk McJerkface posted:

How do you actually interupt a goal score? I don't think that just a basic attack does it?

Any damage source will interrupt a dunk. There's one held item that gives you a protective shield while dunking though, and you have to break through that shield to interrupt them. Also, if Rotom/Zapdos break the shields of a dunk, all dunks become instant during that time frame, which is why if you ever get Zapdos you should just beeline the nearest net and let it rip. The shield held item is probably a nice security item if you also have the thing that increases your damage every time you dunk, but maybe unnecessary since you mostly wanna be doing small dunks. If you're doing a 30/40/50 hit, unless you're a tank with a massive HP pool, it'll be not too hard to break your shields in that time frame since it's %based on your max HP.

Phenotype posted:

Is there a better way to regain your health other than walking all the way back to the nearest goal and sitting there for a while? I've used the fruits that spawn behind the goal but sometimes they're not there.

How many pokemon do you get to unlock with the initial new player bonuses?

The berries are the best way to heal, but standing in a bubble will heal you pretty quickly early on too. You can also hit the down button to instaward back to base if things are REALLY bad and it would be faster than the bubble heal, and then jump pad or run back out.

Aside from the one Pokemon you got to chose at the beginning for free, you will also get Venusaur from the login bonuses on the first day. You can also check your mailbox for a free Zeraora on day 1. In the 14 Day Welcome Gift on the event page you get Ninetails, Cinderace, and Greninja all withing the first two weeks. Then, if you do the Beginner Challenges, on Day 7 you get Crustle. So you get like, a pretty good portion of the cast for free. You also get 950 coins for raising your player level every few levels. I'm level 15 and already bought Machamp and still have 7k coins left over. So yes, once you exhaust all of your early resources getting Pokemon slows down a lot, but after two weeks you've gotten half the cast for free, not counting the free rotation.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 23, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Boba Pearl posted:

I think Zapdos needs that instant dunk removed tbh, giving the team effectively is 130 points is cool and good, but make them actually score it.

Remember that in the final 2:00 all points are doubled so Zapdos is even worse!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah the final nail in the coffin is that in the final 2:00 death respawn timers are so high if you die in a Zapdos fight you're not gonna be back in time to stop them from dunking. That's what makes goaltending such a useful strategy though, just stalling out the game as long as possible because as long as you can nab Zapdos you can still squeak out a win.

Also I played two games since I made the post about goaltending and the thing I described where my entire team rotates bot for a fight and the enemy Zeraora scores a free 40-pointer top happened again

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The most insane thing is that it's something that I think relatively few people have noticed? Like it hits 2:20 and my team will still be farting around in the jungle and I'm losing my mind slamming the "I'm heading to the center!" button over and over

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Here's my general advice for the laning phase of the game, which is usually like the first 3-5 minutes of the game. I know this might not be what you're experiencing, but here is generally what I think playing the laning stage optimally looks like.

The main thing to understand is that every level is a massive power spike, and so every level counts. EXP is shared between all the Pokemon of the same team who hit a creep (any neutral Pokemon that is not a member of the enemy team), but if you're the one who deals the killing blow you get most of it. The big factors that are going to lead to early success are making sure the right Pokemon on your team are getting enough levels. But, keep in mind you're not just sharing resources with your team - you want to be fighting the enemy for their resources.

This leads into the first huge mistake I see, which is people trying to "help" the jungler. Imo this is a huge red flag for a few reasons. Generally, your jungler is going to be a character who benefits a LOT from an early power spike. If you're Bulbasaur, hitting level 5 is going to give you access to Sludge Bomb, which is nice, but it's not a game-changer. Letting your Zeraora get his triple-blink that will allow him to kill the enemies is a significant increase in his power. It's way more important for him to get off to a good start than it is for you. Don't try and stay back and hit the Ludicolo/Bouffalant with your jungler, you're going to cripple their game, and it's also going to significantly delay the time it takes you to get to lane.

You want to get to lane quickly, like I said, because you're fighting for resources. The little Aimpom on the way are freebies - once you actually get to lane, there's 3/5 Audinos waiting for you, and you want to fight over these. Like I said, every level is a huge advantage, so coming out ahead on creep kills when there's a very limited number of creeps on the entire map is very very good. I made a bad drawing to try to illustrate what you should be trying to do. This is specifically bot lane, but the same thing applies to top.

Since there's an odd number of creeps, one team is coming out of this lane ahead no matter what. So, your immediate priority is to get to lane as fast as you can and try and get that mid creep to make sure that it's your team with the EXP advantage. I'm able to get there uncontested in almost all of my games. If you do manage to get there uncontested, start looking to steal that fourth creep in blue. If the enemy is slow, you can easily poke at them with your long-range moves as Bulbasaur. Again, if you can manage to steal it, you're gonna be WAY up on experience and the lane is gonna be so goddamn easy, because then you'll be way stronger when it comes time to fight over Vespiqueen. All you need to do is get the last hit on it to steal the EXP - save up Razor Leaf and use it to steal the kill. This is why I said to not "help" your jungler, because if the enemy team decided to do this to you and your laning partner had to defend against this 1v2 your teams early game would be completely screwed. It might seem like I'm making a big deal out of something so silly, but imagine if you were 1v1 Ivysaur vs Ivysaur and one of you had Solar Beam and the other didn't. That's a massive advantage.

The remaining two Audinos on your side of the map will either be easy kills because the other team doesn't want to go that far into your territory. Or, they'll try and fight you, buuuuuut at this point, it will be late enough into the game that your jungler will (hopefully) be looking at the map and realize the enemy are so far away from their little safety bubble that they're easy kills. That's why you want to do the dangerous EXP stealing early - the enemy jungler will be busy doing the two big creeps at that point.

Once all the creeps are dead, the thing that I see bad players do is just wander off. REALLY bad players will go back and try and do Ludicolo and Bouffalant. Again, if your goal is only being defended by one person, your enemy will easily be able to push them back. You want to hang out in your bubble long enough to heal up and start posturing in the center near the Vepiqueen spawn. As Bulbasaur, hang out just outside of their range and harass them so they take continual chip damage, so if a fight breaks out you're up on health and the enemy can't contest. From there, it's mostly just a process of repeating this cycle. Again, the biggest advice I have is not to leave the lane unless you need to heal at base or something. Even if you have to just sit for like ten seconds or something, there's always new stuff spawning that you want to be at full health to contest. Wandering off puts you away from all the objectives like Rotom/Dreadnaw or at too low an HP amount to fight over them. If the enemy ever wanders off, push into their little bubble with your numbers advantage for a free score. Destroying the enemy bubble is a huge advantage because it means they get to lane significantly slower and they can't heal up with berries if they take too much damage in a fight. Similarly, these are the reasons you need to be ready to defend your bubble, and why just wandering off to hit jungle creeps for EXP and letting the enemy get free dunks isn't worth it.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Michaellaneous posted:

So how P2W is this game?

Worse than I initially thought due to the hidden mechanic where the game will let you purchase item upgrades with premium currency instead of tickets if you run out. There's nothing you can buy that you can't earn in-game, but item upgrades are a big grind at high levels. That being said, fully upgrading a held item costs forty dollars, so you'd have to spend a ton of money for an upgrade that...may or may not help you win. I watched a guy last night spend 300$ on held items and still only went 60/40 winrate at Great Ball rank 1. For refernece, I'm at Expert rank 1 (four ranks above him) and have a 70% winrate and haven't even leveled up items up using the earned currency the game's given me for free. Most of the kids/teens playing the game aren't going to be shelling out that kind of money on the game either, so unless you're looking to go pro at the game, you'll have fun without engaging with any of that stuff.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

World Famous W posted:

Am I an idiot for dumping all my upgrades at the beginning into the Muscle Band? It seems like it would be universally useful with whoever I play

You're mostly right because every character's autoattack is based on their attack stat, so attack and attack speed are pretty solid upgrades on almost every character. It'll be less useful on someone like, Snorlax or Slowbro, but w/e it's a safe bet. I wanted to know which characters I liked the most before doing that but now that I'm set on Machamp I probably would have gone with that anyways

also, re: P2W. Getting the Muscle Band to level 20 costs 567 coins. Totally doable. Getting it to level 30 costs 2587. Not reasonable. But, level 20 gives you the max damage% buff, so the only thing level 30 gets you is 2.5% attack speed and 5 attack. Is 2.5% attack speed and 5 attack worth 40$? Not really? Like, that's nowhere near worth it and doesn't even really seem like that much of an advantage, honestly.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 24, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The game's monetization is a weird combination of every possible method. Kind of expected of Tencent though, if you've played any other Chinese MOBA/BRs everything about the shop/UI will seem pretty familiar

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oh poo poo I finally remembered, yeah, the game's main menu UI and shop and monetization poo poo is almost identical to the standalone Autochess client

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I also like how nice it looks. Makes me hope for something similar to Dota where they release seasonal skins for the map that change up the look, except I would like a version that doesnt cost 200 dollars

e: also, this is the guy I was watching last night who was maxing out items to see how big the advantage is. He seems like he's just buying everything and throwing it all at the wall to see what stick in terms of effectiveness

https://www.twitch.tv/moistcr1tikal

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 24, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah I agree with that basically. It is objectively an advantage, but it's so minor that it's not going to let you win a game you would have otherwise lost. There are times when, yeah, I get into a 1v1 with someone and one of us gets away with a sliver of HP and I think "having three maxed out items would have changed the outcome of that fight," but also getting into a fight with such a slim margin of success is a bad idea to begin with and no marginal advantage would have mattered if I just waited for someone else to show up and we win the fight no problem

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Gengar is doubly nuts because his Hex trick pretty much instagibs Rotom/Zapdos/Dreadnaw

Also, I figured out whats up with the AFKs! So if you've ever gotten the brief "error, reconnecting" message, if you tap A to cancel it will kickyou back out to the main menu and reboot the game. Re-entering will let you rejoin the game, but you can't move or control anything or do anything and you just have to sit there and watch the game go on for ten minutes

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Realized something very funny about the game. If you lose three games in a row, the game will put you into a bot match in your next round, even if you're playing ranked, and won't let you play against people again until you win a match. I know this because I realized I was playing with bots, booted up a surrender vote and it immediately went through and we lost despite being up like 200 points and I had to play in another lobby where everyone had the exact same trainer card

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Honestly, I don't think there's any pokémon that are bad. Maybe in a few months the meta will develop and there will be obvious duds, but there's huge numbers of cannon fodder kids to play against so anything you pick can be good. There's a lot of tier lists online and they are all over the place. Just have some fun and pick whichever you like.

I know I said Cramorant before, but after thinking about it, I think Slowbro isn't "bad" per se, but it really seems like Snorlax and Wigglytuff do everything that he does but better. Telekinesis is too easy to interrupt and is incredibly finnickey to hit, and Surfing gives up your ranged offensive capability in lane.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Cyks posted:

Just spent 8000 gold on ninetales before realizing it’s the reward for day two… still on day one so I don’t know if I’ll get anything for day two yet but that’s very unfortunate.

Having a blast and been playing all day though.

You'll get refunded the coins when Ninetails unlocks don't worry

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Blastoise is next and then I'm pretty sure Gardevoir?

Also a neat thing you can do is, when checking the ranking leaderboards, check people's profiles and you can see their match history, winrate, best heroes, etc. One particularly interesting thing I've noticed is that for all the top players, they're all playing straight Cinderace. After playing him a few times, yeah I think this guy is just outright the best character in the game bar-none. You've got a huge range, massive autoattack damage, the ability to just become invincible, and are super fast. No other hero is able to safely chunk down enemies in the laning phase like this, and you scale super well, you kill neutrals faster than any character except Gengar, this guy is just absolutely insane. I'm honestly not even going to bother playing ranked for the next few days until he unlocks.

I genuinely regret picking Talonflame as my first free Pokemon. Would way rather have Snorlax/Edelgoss now that I know that I've got some experience with the game

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ranked is a completely different game than normals. I'm stuck at Elite 4 (heh heh) and the laning stage is so punishing that if you fall behind you're never catching back up. So, whichever team has better harass and survivability has a massive advantage, and Scorbunny has the best harass in the game.

Talonflame isn't bad per-se, he's just not any significantly better (or even really different) from Zeraora. Snorlax on the other hand seems like a massive upgrade from Slowbro, who can survive in the lane okay but can't really punish the enemy if they decide to ignore you and focus your partner down. Or Edelgoss who is the only healer in the game for some reason

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Natural 20 posted:

Why do you rate Snorlax over Slowbro? I've found the stun city of the latter to be far more aggravating late than just the ignorable pool of HP that is Snorlax.

Snorlax has an AoE stun and a wall move you are unable to shoot projectiles through which are absolutely massive for a game where the winner is determined by a close-quarters fight inside the Zapdos pit. Telekinesis is a great stun but can be interrupted with another stun stun, like from Snorlax, so in a direct matchup Snorlax just totally negates Slowpoke's whole thing. I mean, if you don't take that you're taking Amnesia which is basically useless. Surf/Slald are both fine but are just inferior to both of Snorlax's moves. Slowbro's only actual stun is his Ult, as opposed to Snorlax whose stun is on a seven second cooldown. Hell, if you wanted to skip the wall move you could just take Yawn, which is basically Telekinesis. Snorlax just does everything Slowpoke does but better and makes him obsolete.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Also, he's really good in Unite

I think he's #2 behind Cinderace

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

So what are the best items to buy from the aeos emporium?

I'd hold off on buying an item until we see which ones you get for free. Like, I bought Shell Bell the other day and then turns out it's the free reward for today's challenge. There's only one day worth of challenges left so I'll I'd hold off, but right now I'd say that the Rocky Helmet and Float Stone are the two best choices

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

New week started today so new free hero rotation: Wigglytuff, Gengar, Lucario, and................Venusaur

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Phenotype posted:

I see guides that recommend the two charge punch moves instead, or Fire Punch and Flame Blitz (the one that leaves an AOE), but I feel like if you're just gonna play him as a punchman, why not just play Machop or Garchomp instead?

Yeah I agree, whenever I play against him he's the most annoying when flying around and making it so no heroes are topped off and everyone's susceptible to being instagibbed by a burst hero. The issue he faces is that while he can be annoying to play against, Machamp and Garchomp's ults instantly delete at least one hero every time which is just outright better. Usually when I'm in a Zapdos fight and the enemy Charizard ults, I just sort of ignore them and try and kill off the enemy team. Very different than if you see one of the other all-rounders that make you say "oh poo poo we need to get out of here we can't afford to get ulted"

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I was about to say it's kind of amazing how few of my teammates seem to have any idea what's going on even in the Expert rank, but I guess the same goes for the enemy. No one ever tries to contest the center Audino and just goes for the two closes to their base. People using their ults at the 3:00 mark so there's no way it's back in time for Zapdos. People running to fight Dreadnaw at 2:10 and having it disappear mid-fight.

The biggest frustration for me, and this is also just general advice, is how it's really obvious who's not looking at their map at all. Losing my mind every game when I look over and see a teammate in a fight trying to defend the goal from being scored on and there's a Charmander totally ignoring it hitting creeps just slightly off-screen. I barely even look at the screen when I'm hitting creeps, my eyes are glued to the map since any enemies will show up there before you can see them on your screen.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Cyks posted:

Cinderace’s auto attack does 7k dps at level 15. The others seem to average out around 1.6k with abilities…
I haven’t checked to see if there is a certain level that it scales too aggressively but it’s pretty insane.

Cinderace is the best character in the game by a massive margin, only followed by Gengar because of his dumb Hex stuff

There's a funny test I was trying out the other day, and it was to see who could solo Electrode before they exploded in the Shivre City quickmatch. Sure enough, it's only Cinderace and Gengar

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Phenotype posted:

What item does the final day of the beginner challenge get you? I'm a couple days behind.

Assault Vest

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Crustle is basically just Anivia from League, it's great.

I played the Stealth Rock X-Scissor build my first time and I was like "I've got a stunning punch and a little aoe slow? I'm like Tusk from Dota!" and that was before I realized he literally has Ice Shards

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

For anyone else who plays Gengar, how long do you stay in the jungle? I typically stay in at least until I evolve to Haunter, but I wonder if maybe I should stay in until I get my full Hex combo up

So you absolutely want to hit Haunter before leaving. There's generally a pattern you can follow with regards to jungling - start with the Lillipup, do Ludicolo and Bouffalant, hit the two Crawdaunt on the sides, use the pad to jump to the middle. From there, hit the creeps in the center jungle near the Zapdos pit until you notice the enemies in either lane start pushing into your team, enough so that you can completely loop around behind the and ambush them for a kill. If you can't get a kill, head to whichever lane seems like it's losing and help them secure the Vespiqueen spawn. TP back to base and re-do the loop until you evolve again, then run to either Rotom or Dreadnaw, kill them, then start killing every enemy

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

wolfs posted:

when can i play this on my phone or a computer

September for mobile, for computer you'll have to do Bluestacks or something

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

New datamined playable Pokemon: Blissey

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

One thing I mentioned in the Unite survey was the ability to ping teammates directly because I feel like the system right now is so vague that a certain person wouldn't realize I'm talking to them. Like, once again, when I want to grab the middle Audino from the lane, and I ping "Requesting Backup!" my laning partner ignores it 100% of the time and maybe sometimes my jungler will react to it. If I had the ability to say "Hey, Charmander, I'm talking to you, get over here" the odds of them actually doing it would be much higher

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

One thing to note about the Battle Pass is that, if you buy the pass for 8$ and max it, you'll get 4800 fashion tickets, which you could then convert into item enhancers and get one held item almost all the way to level 20 (it takes 560)

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Okay, I have to say something because I'm going insane

Trying to score on the middle set of towers is a waste of time. It's basically impossible. Respawn timers are like five seconds and they can use the jump pad to endlessly interrupt you. You're not going to score the +50, you're going to keep trying to fight the enemies endlessly until you die. Stop trying to score so hard, it's not worth the risk. Just go level up. If you're two levels above an enemy, you get basically zero exp for killing them, and if they just respawned, you're not knocking any aeos energy off of them, so you gain absolutely nothing for trying to battle them in the goal bubble. You're just going to die and give them comeback EXP for when Zapdos eventually rolls around, where your 30-point goal will be rendered totally obsolete anyways. Plus, if their middle towers are still around, they're very easy to run to and score on when the defenses are down. Please. I'm begging you. Stop trying to score on the middle towers unless you see literally the entire enemy team in a different lane. Stop trying to fight people under the middle goals. Please stop.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'm REALLY curious what the allowed MMR spread is among teammates per game. Like, have other people made it to Expert 4 and still dont know basic rules about the game? I just can't believe that someone who has played a similar number of games would not know that you have to do Zapdos

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Phenotype posted:

Scoring is where my MOBA instincts are kinda throwing up their hands in confusion here. What the heck are you supposed to do if you can't get a dunk, then?

This is exactly the thing that I feel like leads to my teammates desperately trying to fight off enemy after enemy after enemy at their goal and then inevitably getting killed anyways

So, like, that fight you're looking for where every member of the other team dies for long enough to dunk? It's never going to happen. At least, not before the 2 min mark. Respawns are going to be five seconds long, so you kill one guy, you're just going to have another one jump after you, and another, and another. If you have more than 30 points, you just have to accept that you're not going to be able to dunk unless the enemy team leave the net wide open. You're either going to get overwhelmed and killed eventually which will give the other team a bunch of EXP, or you end up leaving and wasting a bunch of time. Just because you're full on energy doesn't mean there aren't other things to do. Rotom/Dreadnaw, or poo poo, just be killing creeps for EXP. Hitting your move upgrades before the enemy team is huge. Killing creeps also lowers your ult cooldown so you can use it more frequently. The other thing is that, I can think of maybe a couple games where ehhhhh MAYBE if I just could have gotten that 30-dunk we would have won. But like, almost no game comes down to that slim a margin. By the time Zapdos happens, you're getting double points and your whole team is dunking at once. Almost every game ends with a 150-200 point difference at minimum. So...yeah. It's just sort of pointless to fight an endless battle against a wave of enemies for a single dunk.

Zodack posted:

"We need Zapdos" is 90% of the time the fastest way to spend your resources getting it to half and then dying, letting the enemy team take it and dunk on you for a huge reversal

The prevalence of Cinderace and Gengar in basically every game have made the "we'll steal it" strategy way way way riskier. I had one game where I was like "alright everyone's here let's g-what the gently caress do you mean they got it already it's only 1:50"

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 28, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

gay_crimes posted:

What's the best Gengar build

Sludge Bomb Hex not even remotely close never pick the other two skills

Items are probably Float Ball, the one that gives you SpAttack for doing dunks (just do six small dunks), and then either Rocky Helmet or Leftovers just for a little extra defense/HP/survivability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

gay_crimes posted:

I've only been playing Charizard and Machamp and usually go bottom. Is Gengar usually jungle? I just tried doing that and someone else went middle with me despite me claiming it so I went bottom and got owned

Gengar is usually jungle, yeah, but you can get away with laning. You just have to play super super carefully because he's got a tiny HP pool and defense. Don't engage on anyone unless it's a totally free kill until you get all the way up to Gengar, even though Haunter can sludge hex combo he's easy to retaliate against.