Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
What's up guys, gals, and NB pals. I don't keep the OP up to date anymore, but if you hate it, or want poo poo added to it, just PM me and I'll come back and try and spruce it up for you.

Also there's a discord, with goons who will carry you as you feed or w/e you do when not in solo queue

Shoegazing posted:

Would be helpful to add this to the OP if you could, thanks!

If you wanna play with goons, especially with voice, we have a group of regulars that play in the Nintengoons Discord in the #pokemon channel. All are welcome!

NintengoonSquad
#G1A5RQN

Send an invite to the squad above and post your Unite username either in the Discord or in this thread.

=========================================Pokemon Unite

Pokemon Unite is the pokemon Moba, it’s pretty fun and as of this writing, it’s not been “solved” yet so you can just jump in and destroy people until your MMR has been figured out. The gameplay is unique enough that it sets it aside from other Mobas.

=========================================How do I win?

You kill creeps to get points, then you literally dunk those points into the enemies goal whoever has the most points win! There are a few special large creeps that buff you, boss creeps that lower the enemies defenses, rune equivalents (but no bottle) and there’s a big legendary pokemon that shows up once every few games. The team fights are pretty good as well, you get a lot of free stuff, I’ve played for about 2 or 3 hours and got enough gold for a free Pokemon, and then got another 2 free from just playing. There’s also only 2 lanes with goals, because the “Jungler” called an all rounder is ready to roam at level 1

=========================================goals? You mean towers right? So it IS a MOBA!

Eh, sort of, the goals aren’t what you’re thinking. They don’t damage you, they just heal people who stand in them, and if you try to go behind the enemies active goal you end up being slowed down while that enemy is sped up. This is actually really fun, because goal diving is incredibly risky but not outright suicide. If the enemy catches up with you, you’re basically stuck, but you can rack up a lot of kills against an enemy who hasn’t learned to stay out of your skill range.

I’ve only played the 5v5 map, someone more knowledgeable will have to write / tell me about the other two or I’ll have to play them before I put them in the OP.

Here is the map by the way!

=========================================Alright, so tell me who the creeps are.

Aipom

Spawn Time: Beginning of the game

Aipom is your basic creep, they give you 2 points per kill, they’re basically there to give you your starting XP and to reward players who know their rotation by letting them get their XP and into lane faster.

Vespiqueen / Combees

Spawn Time: 1 minute
Respawn Time: 1 minute

These spawn in lane after a minute, and they’re basically your bread and butter point generator, you mostly farm these and corphish while roaming and looking for points to pick up after all the aipoms are dead. These and Corphish are your only regenerating XP for the first 3 minutes of the match.

Corphish

Points: 3 points for first 9 minutes, 4 points in last minute
Spawn Time: 15 seconds
Respawns: 1 minute

Corphish have two sets of spawns, the first one shows up after 3 points, you’ll find them in a u shape in mid, and next to the tier 1 goals on the top and bottom. The second set shows up in the jungle right next to the tier 2 goals, when that lane loses a goal.

Audino

Points: 5 points for first 9 minutes, 8 points in last minute
Spawn Time: After a Tier 1 goal in their lane is destroyed
Respawns: Never

Audino are both a comeback mechanic and a reward for taking a lane, just like corphish next to the tier 2 goals they start spawning when a tier 1 goal is destroyed. And just like the Corphish near the tier 2 goals, they spawn in the same lane that that the goal was destroyed in. Unlike Corphish, Audino does not respawn.

=========================================What are my Jungle Buffs? I want to roooam.

Your jungle buffs are located just outside of spawn in the midlane, just go forward and you’ll see them pretty quick. You’re looking for the pokemon that doesn’t look like anything else.

Bouffalant

Points: 5 points for the first 9 minutes, 7 points during the final stretch (The last 2 minutes of the game)
Spawn Time: 25 seconds
Respawn: 1 minute

Orange buff gives your attacks a slow, letting you slow down enemies you attack. It’s pretty good for catching people out of position.

Ludicolo

Purple buff gives you extra damage when pokemon are low, letting you farm creeps (and enemies) faster.

=========================================Yeah and Boss Mobs?

Rotom

Effect: When defeated walks to goal in lane and allows instant scoring for 15 seconds.
Spawn Time: 3 minutes
Respawn: 2 minutes, but despawns during final stretch (The last 2 minutes of the game)

Rotom is good because if it’s a close game, there’s going to be a team fight, so you’re going to get a bunch of points from your opponents if you win, and then you can quickly rush and take a tower. Spawns top.

Dreadnaw

Spawn Time: 3 minutes
Effect: Gives your team a bunch of XP and Shields
Respawn Time: 2 minutes

Great idea to take this instead of Rotom to be honest I’m not sure what the point of Rotom is because instant scoring only matters when you’re trying to push past the enemy to score points, which is pointless to do since you can just win a teamfight, and if you can’t win a teamfight you should be farming not pushing Rotom.

Zapdos

Spawn Time: 8 minutes (marking the beginning of the “Final Stretch” the last two minutes of the game)
Effect: 30 points to the team instantly, instant scoring for 25 seconds AND gives you 30 points if you last hit it.
Respawn Time: Never

I’m not sure what the average points per match is, but Zapdos always feels like a huge swing. A win at Zapdos can be game deciding. It can get you a massive comeback, or it can push you further in the lead. At 8 minutes going to Zapdos is generally a good idea.

=========================================What are the roles?

You’ve got Defenders, which are tanks they have zoning tools, walls, and stuns. 2 of the 3 tanks (Slowpoke and Snorlax) have a self heal. Defenders are great for stopping people from scoring due to interrupts, and can hold onto units until someone else gets there. Defenders have a ton of HP so you want them in a lane with a boss, and you should pair them up with Attackers

You’ve got Supporters, which are supports, they have pulls (anyone who attacks wigglytuff for the first time they have to approach her,) pushes, walls, shields, and heals.

You’ve got All Rounders, which generally can try to do any lane decently, you can roam a bit more with an All Rounder, and you’ll be fairly free. You’re pretty much always in front as an All Rounder, and you tend to have a support glued to your rear end. Kind of like a carry / roamer

Speedsters, do a ton of damage, normally have a blink and are squishy as hell. They’re good for farming, and you generally use them as a jungler / roamer, as they are particularly good at doing burst damage, and chasing down opponents, and do a ton of single target damage, letting you take down the high point mobs easier.

Attackers normally lane with defenders, the stuns and CC help them secure kills pretty quick, and because they’re ranged they can stand behind the defenders while still chasing people down. They also tend to have wider ranged moves, which helps with the Vespiqueen and Combee spawns that need lots of AOE to take everything out as quick as possible.

=========================================Lanes?

Top Lane has Rotom, and you generally send an All-Rounder or Defender with an Attacker or Supporter. Top lane has less wild pokemon spawns compared to bottom, so you’ll end up team fighting more for resources. You might find yourself in the enemy jungle more to try and take camps, and apply pressure, keeping them out of your space.

Mid Lane is where you send your high mobility, high damage pokemon. They get a lead in gaining experience, so you want pokemon that scale well, and have a high damage output, so Speedsters or All Rounders. Every Speedster can jungle effectively, but Machamp, Lucario, and Greninja can also do jungle stuff as well. They should also keep an eye on bottom lane which has more XP for them

Bottom Lane has more XP and pretty much anyone can go there, the boss is further away from the goals then top lane, and so it’s important to be mindful of positioning. Drednaw has a ton of HP so you kind of want a Defender there to soak up damage and provide stuns. Getting shields and the XP boost can be huge, but it’s a harder fight then Rotom.

Items? More specific stuff about the Pokemon?

I’m pretty tired of writing, and there are 20 held items, 8 battle items, and another 20 pokemon. There’s a good resource here: https://unite-db.com/items Which will give you everything your heart desires when it comes to specific information.

So yeah, that’s it, talk about the game, read the guide, don’t, throw stuff in there you want, I’ll put any good advice into the OP. I love this game, and I hope you like it too!

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I was playing slowbro for a while, but everytime I fill for dps I get destroyed.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Thats super fair, if someone does a better one I'll replace it or link their thread, I didn't consider it from the angle of never played a mobile before.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It's crazy there's afk ragers when you don't even know the score lmao.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
He;s actually an attacker I bet, two big cannons screams dps

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
That's not always necessarily true, sometimes it's better to just stop a team from getting zapdos for a minute then actually grabbing it yourself, especially if it's even or in the lead, that said whoever snipes Zapdos majorly swings the game, it is by far the most important team fight.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I didn't realize how important it was to me to have a MOBA that wasn't all "Vaguely humanoid character" Having a bunch of monsters with radically different silhouettes and visual design makes it extremely interesting to play.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Oh wait you didn't say you got hit by Zapdos, yeah if you lost a skirmish, then they probably had maxed out points and dunked in the last few seconds. Gotta be killing folks so they don't build up points. It's better to take points away from the enemy then generate points you can lose imo.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Yeah it's insane in a good way they've taken the key MOBA phases and mechanics and managed to pack them into 10 minutes. They could also have been winning lane but not guarding the goal. I've had a lot of points dunked in because the enemy team went for trading scores instead of fighting without paying attention to who would get more points.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
They desperately need to fix whatever is going on in the menus, it is so unfun trying to get around and collect stuff.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I think Zapdos needs that instant dunk removed tbh, giving the team effectively is 130 points is cool and good, but make them actually score it.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Oh Jesus right, OK yeah some of that needs to be changed I think either that or laning is really just getting fed as fast as possible for the one important team fight.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Just a heads up about the pay to win mechanics.

It takes 2,587 Gems to take an item from 1 - 30, and it takes 567 gems to take it from 1 - 20

For a full upgrade on a level 30 item it costs 20$ your first time (1220+1220) and then 40$ for each item after that, assuming you spend your dosh only on Gems

To take it to level 20, it takes 567 Gems, so for 2440 you could take 4 items up to level 20, and then 2 items up to level 20 for each 20$ spent.

I've been looking at tests on youtube, and there's not a lot, but here's what I could find.

Numbers derived from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=833vC6WjMkU

The difference between a level 1 Float Stone and a Level 25 Float Stone is about 2 seconds faster to get into lane out of combat.

The difference between a level 1 Rocky Helmet and a level 29 Rocky Helmet with a level 2 dwebble vs zeraora it allowed dwebble to survive about 3 more auto attacks

The difference between a level 1 Muscle Band and a level 20 Muscle band with a level 2 dwebble vs audino is 2 auto attacks faster.

Following Numbers Derived from this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPymX1RIhjI

Cramorant with a whirlpool on a dummy at level 2 does 1674 if centered correctly, with level 20 spc atk specs (a +16 special attack buff) it does 1728, Because focus specs are a flat damage boost, it will only do 50 additional damage at any level. When leveling, it only adds to base stats not scaling, so the biggest damage boost is going to be early game. It should note that this is the most powerful move in the game at level 2. Doing the math because it scales lineally, we know that this will be a +76 damage buff at 30

Alolan Ninetails, at level 3 with a level 20 spc atk specs (+16 Sp Attack) and a level 17 muscle band +9 attack, +4% basic attack speed deals 1193 with the passive, icy wind, powder snow, in 3 seconds. The extra attack speeds allows them an additional hit in about 4 seconds, which is the same that we saw in the audino video. Just doing the math it would kill the audino one auto attack faster then normal.

A level 30 Cookie gives +240 HP. 4 auto attacks from a no item ninetails does 1,925. One auto attack a level 3 alolan ninetails with the passive does 556

I do not believe this game is pay to win, the buffs are extremely small, when added up and do not matter pass the first 3 or 4 levels when stats scale massively, shrinking the boosts even further. If other people disagree let me know!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Cyks posted:

Just spent 8000 gold on ninetales before realizing it’s the reward for day two… still on day one so I don’t know if I’ll get anything for day two yet but that’s very unfortunate.

Having a blast and been playing all day though.

You'll get refunded when you unlock ninetales.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Psycho Society posted:

I thought i remembered seeing a squirtle somewhere in the tutorial but there's a 90% chance I was hallucinating

You did and the first character drop is blastoise.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
They are probably not going to do that to limit toxicity.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Phenotype posted:

Scoring is where my MOBA instincts are kinda throwing up their hands in confusion here. What the heck are you supposed to do if you can't get a dunk, then? I've had quite a few games where my points were maxed out but we just couldn't win a fight decisively enough that I could get some free time under a basket. I suppose the answer is to just back the gently caress off and stop trying to force fights under their goal, but it just kinda feels bad, since then you "waste" time not being able to collect points and leaving orbs on the ground everywhere, and then you eventually die and lose them all anyway (or protect yourself at all costs and don't play as active a role in teamfights). It feels like the only "correct" answer is to win a big fight and dunk the points in, but if your team isn't able to accomplish this then there's no alternative that feels at all reasonable.

Kill Rotom for instadunk?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
So in short, Held items are basically worthless gacha traps?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I thought the upgrade items came from rolls / buying them out right? Is there another way?

Also has it been calculated yet how important they are?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Does anyone want anything added to The OP or want to make a better one and I'll update it? I'm coming back to this game after a long break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It is done.