Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Ok, take this with a grain of salt because I'm bad, but Gardevoir's Psyshock seems really strong.

Purple landmines appear around a target and each hit lowers its cooldown. I was just standing on the edge of teamfights chunking nonstop.

The ult is basically Gazlowe's Grav Bomb :

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I went looking on Youtube for ranked advice and it seems like there's a lot of 'master level' players contradicting each other at the moment. It's not too surprising because I guess the meta is still evolving and I don't know what kind of population this game has yet at the top end, but I did come across someone who I know is a good MOBA player : FanHOTS.

He's a former HotS pro I used to watch pretty often, and it turns out he's been doing a HotS/Pokemon Unite split on his stream lately. He was running a 5-stack with some of his HotS buddies for a while today and some of the comments he made were pretty interesting, like how he's hardly seen Gengar at all at Masters because he's too easy to counter with CC.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Phrosphor posted:

It's getting hard to get wins in ranked now as a solo queue player. You definitely tell when you are up against a five or three stack as the coordination is so much higher. Would love to find some teammates.

I don't know how this game hosts it's matches but I never have better than two bars of 'signal' here in Melbourne. I am guessing I am connecting to games in Asia, for sure seeing a lot of Asian names in my games.

I think we're connecting to Singapore, which does suck but I still find it pretty playable. Hopefully we'll get Sydney servers (every game server seems to be run out of Sydney here) when the mobile version goes live in September, but I'm not holding my breath.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I switched to Buddy Barrier a while ago and I can't imagine using anything else on any Pokemon (except Lucario, apparently!)

One thing I would point out from that recommended item list which might seem odd is that while Alolan Ninetales does special damage with its abilities, the Muscle Band is best because when you sit in your Aurora Veil your basic attacks do more damage. I've been using Scope Lens as my third but I'll try switching to Focus Band to see how it feels. I expect it'll be good for dueling other attackers with similar damage output but it sure as poo poo won't save me from a beastmode Machamp or Lucario!

Also, I just got to Expert playing solo Ninetales for the cosmetic reward. I'm glad this game has the 'good' season rewards at a low rank so that bad players like me can get them; it looks like the rewards for higher ranks at the end of the season are just more Aeos Coins.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Tom Gorman posted:

I settled on Alolan Ninetales, got the sp. atk glasses and shell bell and pumped all my tokens into it. Then Dazzling Gleam > Aurora Veil. It's just...so strong? I sneak up on the outskirts of a fight, pop veil and X-attack and the boosted basics that freeze and aoe just wipe everything.

Those are the two best Ninetales abilities, yeah. For items, though, Muscle Band is actually better than the glasses because it benefits your boosted AV attacks, which is where most of your damage comes from. Buddy Barrier is a must on every Pokemon, and I've been running Focus Band as my third since I saw it on the recommended items list on the previous page and it's been good.

Also, if there's one thing I learned from HotS, it's that having a teleport on a short cooldown is an extremely powerful ability, so I'd recommend switching to Eject Button to see how you like it. It seems to be the only Battle Item anyone uses at Expert and above.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, it's great for punishing someone when they overextend (and it can save your rear end when you do the same) and it has all sorts of miscellaneous uses like jumping over a wall to get the winning dunk two seconds before the game ends. It's really the best ability.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

For what it's worth, I have a 68% win rate as a mostly solo Ninetales one-trick, now a couple of games away from Veteran, doing the exact same thing every game :

1) Say "I'm going top!" in battle prep, then go top lane, grabbing all the neutrals on the way (and letting others get the killing blows if I think they're more important than me).

2) Test the waters to see how aggressive my lane opponents are, but play very, very safe because early kills and scores don't mean much.

3) Keep farming the neutrals (leave lane to grab the weak ones at the top of central) and don't worry about scoring unless it's wide open. This means capping on points and leaving a lot on the ground. Try to be on top of the bees at 7:50 I think it is, and clear them as quick as possible (it's good having the control option which lets you use B to auto-target neutrals instead of enemies so you don't waste hits if both teams are trying to get them).

4) When Dreadnaw is about to spawn, back to base and then head bot lane and when I get close I ping "I need backup!" It doesn't matter if you leave top wide open - getting Dreadnaw is more important than letting the enemy team score top. Save your ult for Dreadnaw only, no exceptions.

5) Go back to top lane until the next Dreadnaw and just keep farming neutrals. If my team is biffing pointlessly in lane I'll do the Ninetales thing where I snipe from the sidelines and help them win, then just go back to farming. If our top goal is gone and the enemy is being super aggressive I'll abandon it and go bot and keep farming neutrals.

6) Try to have your ult ready for Zapdos. The 2-minute mark is where the game actually begins and scoring becomes important. I usually back and then scout Zapdos to see if the enemy is there, and then decide what to do based on whether my team heads over as well. If we get Zapdos then go score, and if they get it then try to block/defend/prevent goals as much as possible and/or backdoor to score against them or help your team do the same.

The Zapdos part is where it can get chaotic but I find it goes my way most of the time and I like to think it's because of my highly disciplined neutral farming giving my team an advantage! Also never underestimate the Zapdos snipe - some Pokemon are really good at it and a lot of people don't save their burst moves for when it's low HP.

When HotS was alive the few times I tried ranked I was a solid Gold/Plat player so I expect I'll be approaching my Pokemon Unite ceiling pretty soon, but to be honest most of the master level advice for advancing through the lower ranks seems to be more along the lines of 'learn the neutral camp timers and just farm' rather than 'be good at actually fighting.'

edit : Outside neutral farming, I think the most impactful thing you can do as a solo player is to use Buddy Barrier. You can really see onscreen how BB's effect wins you a fight, and if you ult at the correct times (Dreadnaw and Zapdos, or any time in between as long as you'll have it back for them) then BB is going to let you more often win the fights which actually matter, and thus the game as a whole.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 12, 2021

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

A Zeraora that knows how to jungle is pretty dangerous but it's been a while since I've seen one single-handedly take out half my team. Usually what happens is I'll get a game where my team shows absolutely no interest in Drednaw and they're just kinda all over the map doing... something. Those games are hard to win but it's still possible depending on how they react to Zapdos.

I'm at Veteran 3 now and in most games people seem to understand neutral spawn timers (I'm still the only one cleaning up the map though) and they also let the important Pokemon get last hits for XP while laning, but then I'll inexplicably get a game like the above where they just don't care about Drednaw and sometimes even Zapdos. Is there a point where this stops happening or is this game like [every other game with ranked play] and the only place it stops is in organized professional games?

By the way, letting your non-tank lane buddy get last hits on everything is the most surefire way I've found to receive friend requests after a game. People really notice that!

edit : One thing I have seen is that when an enemy team tries to deathball a lane and you get one of those OP Pokemon cleaning house and we lose both Drednaws, it's not uncommon to be back at XP parity when Zapdos comes around. And it's not just because of my farming, I think it's because of the comeback mechanic where if you knock higher level Pokemon you actually get a lot of XP (you get almost nothing for equal or lower level enemies) and if the enemy team is deathballing they will eventually lose a fight and surrender a tonne of XP, plus while they were fighting they weren't farming.

One other thing I see at the moment which I expect will disappear if I keep advancing is that enemies will often score at like 2:30 or less time. I'll be farming right beside my goal and see two enemies come in with like 40 points between them and I'm like, sure, feel free! I ain't stopping you! The converse of this is that when both sides are hovering around Zapdos at the 2:00 mark sometimes you'll see an enemy with 50 points sneak up to one of your goals and you won't have anyone in range to stop them - that's a genuine feelsbad.

I think ideally you probably want to have someone in each lane at that point to stop backdoor scoring, and then if there's no action there they can quickly collapse on the center. But I'm still mostly solo queuing so I just kinda have to go with the flow!

Kalko fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 16, 2021

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah Snorlax or Gardevoir are my backups. Last night I had a game where someone beat me to all three so I was like uh, Charizard? Figured we would lose because I had no idea what I was doing (and only one item equipped it turned out) but it was one of those lucky games where the enemy team kind of did nothing.

I took two Charizard moves that had CC attached to them. He actually seemed pretty ok? Maybe I should look into how to play him in case this happens again.

Is there a way to set a Pokemon as your first pick before you get to the selection screen? I always have to scroll to reach Ninetales and setting it as my favourite doesn't seem to change the order there.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

My Ninetales is getting 'bug fixes' on Aurora Veil. Which could mean anything.

Eject Button nerf, though. Not too surprising considering its 100% pick rate.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I hope the mobile launch will include new servers for Sydney because while it's not terrible playing on what I assume are the SG servers, it's also not great.

The other thing from the presentation is that the next two Pokemon releases will be Mamoswine and Sylveon.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Red bird is a glass cannon, right? People say it's bad but every time I see one zoom in from offscreen and just delete someone it looks real scary.

Count me in as another Pokemon enjoyer, I haven't played for a few days but my Ninetales one-trick is up to Veteran 5 now and my winrate is only just starting to slow down.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I know the main reason they don't allow chat is probably because a big part of their target audience is kids, but it must also be partly due to the fact that you can't really type efficiently with a controller. And it's good in a way because it means you don't get those moments I remember from HotS where someone will basically AFK while they type out a huge screed; I can't imagine how long it would take someone to vomit their extremely important words out using a Joy-Con.

The trade-off is that you can't inform people about mechanics or strategy but to be honest the number of times where even my most delicately and non-confrontationally worded advice has been accepted in good faith is so vanishingly small it might as well be non-existent.

And regarding controllers, I've been using a Switch Gamecube controller I bought for Smash Bros and the right stick already has intermittent drift after only a couple of weeks of use. Are they really unreliable? It's the second one I've had this happen to, though the first lasted a lot longer.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Anyone still play this? I haven't touched it since last year but I fired it back up the other day and holy moly there are so many different reward tracks and menus to navigate for your daily drip feed of progress. It's gone full turbo-gacha in its presentation, but the game itself is still fun.

https://www.dexerto.com/pokemon/new-pokemon-unite-leak-reveals-mew-scizor-dodrio-all-on-the-way-soon-1903143/

Apparently they're adding Mew next.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Designed for touch, yeah, that makes perfect sense. I actually thought I was getting a better in-game frame rate on my Switch than when the game came out but I don't really have anything to base that on. Maybe those rumours of a Switch Pro will turn out to be true, although the Switch is itself is pretty long in the tooth now. I know Nintendo are famous for not giving a gently caress what the other console makers do but by the time they release a new one it'll have been like a 6-7 year gap.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

War Wizard posted:

I stopped playing when it became obvious that everytime a new 'mon gets released it's obviously OP for a while and there's no rush to fix it since it'll help it sell for money.

Blizzard has stated (and I think this applies to pretty much any game with a similar design) that they prefer to err on the side of too much power rather than too little for new characters/heroes/etc because people won't play weak heroes so it makes it very difficult to gather data to be able to buff them appropriately, and it's almost always easier and/or better to nerf something than it is to buff anyway, just as a general rule.

It's a common accusation that companies make new stuff overpowered to boost sales and I'm sure some of them do, but a lot of the time it's just a side effect of the game design process. And it takes time to gather data to decide on changes and then more time to actually create a patch or hotfix to deploy, especially for cross-platform titles. But design philosophy comes into play here, too, with regards to how often balance changes should be made in the first place.

Just as a couple of examples, back in the Wrath of the Lich King days in WoW the designers started making frequent balance changes to the classes, going so far as to change the way abilities and rotations worked, and it ended up alienating a significant part of the player base because they had to keep relearning things, so they decided from then on they would only make major functional changes to class abilities with the release of a new expansion. And in Hearthstone for pretty much all of Ben Brode's tenure on the game they refused to release balance patches for months at a time even with meta-warping cards running rampart the whole time. That game improved immeasurably when he left because they finally decided to patch more often, and now the meta doesn't stagnate nearly as much as it used to.

But this also goes to the point of how often games should be patched; should devs take a very active role and essentially force the meta, or should they sit back and only hit very obvious outliers and let things take their course, for better or worse? I recently watched HS streamer talking about changes to the game and he made a good point in that a game designer's number one goal should never be to make a game perfectly balanced, instead they should be trying to make the game fun. And while balance certainly contributes towards fun you can easily imagine a very balanced game that is no fun to actually play, and also a poorly balanced game that's very fun to play.

I guess I got off topic here, but I'm not trying to be a Tencent defender or anything, I just like talking about game design!

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The Mew event began yesterday along with a new battle pass. I'm still playing a few games every day and having fun. I tried out Hoopa and it was really fun just taking a Trick build and boosting an ally, although since I'm still working my way back up in ranks I feel like I'm having more impact as Ninetales because I can actually farm all the XP everyone else ignores. It's pretty easy to see why every competitive team wants a Hoopa too, even though I haven't played with the portal ability much yet.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Apparently the bug is that if you attack within one second of using an ability you'll always target a wild Pokemon. I'm not sure if this game does hotfix patches but it seems like it should warrant one.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

A patch just came out and the attack bug is fixed. Mr Mime's beam also got nerfed so I guess it was an outlier.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Got absolutely dominated by a Gengar earlier tonight, and then I find this Youtube explaining what happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1GPAP41Pd0

The new map has so much XP you can level insanely quickly with some Pokemon, in this case getting 15 before 5mins.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

That's the main season reward out of the way. It was a new account and about 100 of those games were with Alolan Ninetales. I might try some other Pokemon now. Not going to try too hard to get Master because I only solo queue, but I've been told it gets easier a short time after each reset. I guess the really competitive people get it and then stop playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Anyone still play this game? I caught up with it watching Worlds coverage. This was the final match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W2qKk7-3Q0

Mewtwo was banned from the comp for being too OP, so I guess Tencent are incorporating Pokemon lore into game balance. Zacian was busted for ages on release too, but for the game to be added to Worlds it must be doing pretty well so I don't think its balance issues are related to neglect or anything. I remember when I played it all I could think about was how I'd much rather be playing Heroes of the Storm but, well, RIP.