Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Hellioning posted:

I mean. They are technically military, right?

I mean, like, sure, but it feels real weird equating Duke Fleed, noble prince and 70s super robot protagonist, with Lelouch or Mika or Setsuna or whatever.

That kind of contrast is pretty par for the course in SRW. Besides, him being meshed with a rather more serious show has been done before: I mean, it worked out pretty well with Zambot 3 in SRW Z.

Come to think of it, Kappei's family are also interstellar refugees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Eeevil posted:

I'm so confused by people saying level scaling is a strike against SRW 30. Does that term not mean what I think it does? Every other SRW I've played (VXT, J, W) has adjusted enemy levels based on the average level of my team, I thought that was what level scaling meant.

If you try to play on Expert, enemies have such a huge level advantage over you that you'll be gaining thousands of XP per kill, causing your own levels to skyrocket every stage and giving you effectively infinite ExC until people start hitting the level cap at 200. At which point you're on an even playing field forever, but now you have level 200 SP pools and can cast as many spirits as you want.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

BisbyWorl posted:

If you try to play on Expert, enemies have such a huge level advantage over you that you'll be gaining thousands of XP per kill, causing your own levels to skyrocket every stage and giving you effectively infinite ExC until people start hitting the level cap at 200. At which point you're on an even playing field forever, but now you have level 200 SP pools and can cast as many spirits as you want.

Oh, that makes sense then. Thanks for the explanation.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I know this was posted like a couple months ago but I just caught up on the thread and I wanted to say I had an urge to buy the huckebein 30/th figure just to put the eye covering on the 30th and make it do the twin graviton rifles the way the 30 does...

Now that Bandai is doing HG models of the Huckebeins I hope after the 3 they do the 1, 30/th, and exbein series in some order.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Playing SRW T for the first time and I can't help but wonder, remembering good times with Z: what if Renton from Eureka 7, instead of joining up with the Gekkostate and the crew of horrible horrible jerks and even worse children, instead joined the Arcadia with captain Harlock and his "we let people do whatever on the starship free ride until it's actually important" style?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

I want this just for a conversation between Heero, Setsuna and Mika that consists of nothing but ellipsis.

It ends when Mika gets bored and wanders off.

I want Rei there too, if only so Atra can weird her out.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I’m almost sure they’ve done the all ellipsis conversation before, maybe more than once. I think Z2 had Heero, Setsuna and Chirico do it.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I think there was one in Alpha Gaiden, too.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Endorph posted:

funny how much the 'fukuda was MAD about srwz' thing got spread around back in the day

its almost like online nerd fandom in general is toxic is hell at times and often filled with bad faith actors who spread misinformation for no other reason other than pure spite!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Anime fans? Telling malicious lies? Balderdash!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

its almost like online nerd fandom in general is toxic is hell at times and often filled with bad faith actors who spread misinformation for no other reason other than pure spite!

I have learned to take anything someone says about Gundam SEED's production with a healthy dose of doubt because people really convinced themselves Fukuda and Morisawa were the great satan.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I've learned to take anything any English speaker says about any piece of Japanese media that doesn't have an explicit source with a LOT of doubt, mind you

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

NewMars posted:

Anime fans? Telling malicious lies? Balderdash!

This must be why Miyazaki said that anime was a mistake.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

I have learned to take anything someone says about Gundam SEED's production with a healthy dose of doubt because people really convinced themselves Fukuda and Morisawa were the great satan.

Yeah, large segments of the western Gundam fandom made the collective decision to hate SEED so much that they took every possible opportunity to twist any scrap of information to paint SEED and its production in the most negative light possible at all points, up to and including pretty much making poo poo up. I remember the persistent rumors that Tomino had publicly poo poo on SEED and called it a bad show.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

The one big rumor I remember was that Chiaki Morosawa was a Fujoshi, thus all the yaoi bait.

It does sound like.some.poo poo that anime fans would make up in the 2000s.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Man, I read through the old LP of SRW Z by Brunom and the SEED hate is strong. Heck, that was the game in which you unlocked secrets by repeatedly nuking the Archangel, something you had to go well out of your way to do at least once, because it was a neutral unit you couldn't even directly attack.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly original SEED is middling in many respects but if it weren't for one very specific aspect* that drags it down a lot I'd honestly rank it surprisingly high in my personal rankings of Animated Gundam works

*specifically the very out of place and gross way it handles violence

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

The faces. THE FACES.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Siegkrow posted:

The one big rumor I remember was that Chiaki Morosawa was a Fujoshi, thus all the yaoi bait.

It does sound like.some.poo poo that anime fans would make up in the 2000s.

Can you imagine? A Gundam show that has Heated Drama Between Men? Scandalous.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly original SEED is middling in many respects but if it weren't for one very specific aspect* that drags it down a lot I'd honestly rank it surprisingly high in my personal rankings of Animated Gundam works

*specifically the very out of place and gross way it handles violence

The part that annoyed me most about SEED was honestly just how weirdly horny it was. Which was most of the time.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Gundam Breaker 4 just announced on Nintendo Direct

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nuebot posted:

The part that annoyed me most about SEED was honestly just how weirdly horny it was. Which was most of the time.

That actually ties into my issue with the violence in SEED, comes off as though some of the animators have blatant guro fetishes and were animating with only one hand:fap:

Neat

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

The film is just as horny, but it's now in the context of the characters wanting to have sex, so it's more in keeping with Gundam traditions.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I remember reading that Terada did a speech on misinformation and how easy it is to make people believe lies that sound nice to them, which is kind of appropriate with how much false trivia has gotten spread around about his own series.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

both gundam wing and SEED were yaoi stories where the gundams were metaphors for their pilot's dicks

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Can you imagine? A Gundam show that has Heated Drama Between Men? Scandalous.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

coconono posted:

both gundam wing and SEED were yaoi stories where the gundams were metaphors for their pilot's dicks

Gundam Seed Freedom has a protagonist defeating mind control with the sheer power of his heterosexuality.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

I remember the persistent rumors that Tomino had publicly poo poo on SEED and called it a bad show.
people make up all kinds of rumors about what shows tomino likes and which ones he doesnt, which is really funny when he barely ever publicly comments on them.

near as ive been able to piece together his only comments on any of them have been

G: he intentionally picked imagawa to do something wild with it but it turned out relatively normal
Wing: the end of the first episode (I'll kill you) is cool and the music is good
SEED: it is competently made
00: sumeragi's tits are too big

and i havent been able to find anything on x/age/ibo/g-witch

hes spent more time criticizing gundam series he made himself than any of the AU series

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Honestly even if Tomino did publicly comment it'd probably be some benign but weird poo poo considering every interview the man has is clearly him saying random things off the top of the dome whether or not he actually believes it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yea the interview with him where that 00 thing comes from is literally like

Tomino: I think the gundam cafe should be bombed. sumeragi's tits are too big. gundam narrative sucks. heres a list of idols id gently caress

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Honestly even if Tomino did publicly comment it'd probably be some benign but weird poo poo considering every interview the man has is clearly him saying random things off the top of the dome whether or not he actually believes it

He's got some insightful stuff presented in the weirdest way possible, too. His comments on Shinkai come to mind, similar to how Anno has beef with Porco Rosso.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

He's got some insightful stuff presented in the weirdest way possible, too. His comments on Shinkai come to mind, similar to how Anno has beef with Porco Rosso.

Wait, what's wrong with Porco Rosso?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

coconono posted:

Ramming dicks together till they explode and you die

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

NewMars posted:

Wait, what's wrong with Porco Rosso?

Anno doesn't like it because he knows Miyazaki and thinks the movie is just Miyazaki's self-insert power fantasy. "Oh this guy is cursed woe is him except he gets hot babes and gets to fly vintage airplanes just like how Miyazaki likes and never actually seems that bothered by the being a pig part". That kind of thing.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Which is stupid to get upset about because the best part of writing your own poo poo is getting to self insert.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

Which is stupid to get upset about because the best part of writing your own poo poo is getting to self insert.

That does not mean other people have to like it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

i mean when miyazaki complains when other people do that

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

NewMars posted:

Man, I read through the old LP of SRW Z by Brunom and the SEED hate is strong. Heck, that was the game in which you unlocked secrets by repeatedly nuking the Archangel, something you had to go well out of your way to do at least once, because it was a neutral unit you couldn't even directly attack.

It was nuking Kira with MAP attacks.. :eng101:

It was pretty funny

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Endorph posted:

people make up all kinds of rumors about what shows tomino likes and which ones he doesnt, which is really funny when he barely ever publicly comments on them.

near as ive been able to piece together his only comments on any of them have been

G: he intentionally picked imagawa to do something wild with it but it turned out relatively normal
Wing: the end of the first episode (I'll kill you) is cool and the music is good
SEED: it is competently made
00: sumeragi's tits are too big

and i havent been able to find anything on x/age/ibo/g-witch

hes spent more time criticizing gundam series he made himself than any of the AU series

he seems to like witch from mercury
https://twitter.com/ryojno51/status/1741670504229130574

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the livestream thats supposedly from got privated so i cant 100% confirm it (though to be clear i dont really have any reason to disbelieve it, its not that out of character a statement)

in general he seems to like any of the AUs that are doing something different from the stuff he did. which is probably part of his disappointment with G, since a lot of the themes are still in Zeta and ZZ and Victory, and the ending with everyone coming together is just lifted from Char's Counterattack.