Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Endorph posted:

the livestream thats supposedly from got privated so i cant 100% confirm it (though to be clear i dont really have any reason to disbelieve it, its not that out of character a statement)

in general he seems to like any of the AUs that are doing something different from the stuff he did. which is probably part of his disappointment with G, since a lot of the themes are still in Zeta and ZZ and Victory, and the ending with everyone coming together is just lifted from Char's Counterattack.
But with Punching!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, i guess the end of cca was sort of like a love love sekiha tenkyouken

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

More of a Hateboner sekiha tenkyoken.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Blockhouse posted:

Anno doesn't like it because he knows Miyazaki and thinks the movie is just Miyazaki's self-insert power fantasy. "Oh this guy is cursed woe is him except he gets hot babes and gets to fly vintage airplanes just like how Miyazaki likes and never actually seems that bothered by the being a pig part". That kind of thing.

this seems kind of bullshit coming from anno, I guess he inserts himself into the production instead of the product tho.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

again anno isnt mad at the base concept, hes mad that miyazaki specifically did it because hes so self-serious, and that he made the resulting project still kind of stuffy instead of just going all out with it. porco rosso is a goofy movie but porco himself is played as mostly cool. like even when he beats himself up it comes across like hes stoic and reasonable. he gets cool lines. better a pig than a fascist.......... annos annoyed at that hypocrisy and that feeling of how seriously miyazaki takes himself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

basically its not that he self-inserted, its that *miyazaki* self-inserted and then acted like he wasnt instead of just making something fully self-indulgent.

its a goofy way of putting it but i get what he means about 'either wave your dick around or dress yourself to the nines.' stuff caught in the middle is just awkward.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
ok yeah, that makes a lot more sense, thanks. I think I get what he means now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Siegkrow posted:

The one big rumor I remember was that Chiaki Morosawa was a Fujoshi, thus all the yaoi bait.

actually speaking of that anno/tomino interview theres another funny bit thats relevant to this convo

Super Robot Wars: Could Char and Amuro Be Gay?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
somehow amuro, char, and tomino are the only ones who don't know they are

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

actually speaking of that anno/tomino interview theres another funny bit thats relevant to this convo

Super Robot Wars: Could Char and Amuro Be Gay?

Truth is always stranger than fiction :allears:

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly original SEED is middling in many respects but if it weren't for one very specific aspect* that drags it down a lot I'd honestly rank it surprisingly high in my personal rankings of Animated Gundam works

*specifically the very out of place and gross way it handles violence

yeah a lot of my dislike for seed comes from its predilection for people bursting into pasta sauce inside their spacesuits...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont mind the gore in seed but it doesnt really fit tonally. ibo has some pretty gruesome deaths too but it fits the tone

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The thing that annoys me most about it is while I have seen arguably worse gore in anime, something about how SEED does it(and I've seen a couple other shows like Blood-C and Psycho-Pass do a similar style) just sticks in my brain and keeps popping up like an annoying song in my brain

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I did not think of SEED as being particularly gory at the time but now that I have seen more Gundams it is weird, yes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
SEED isn't really a hyperviolent gore fest for like 98% of its runtime. The few times where it is unnecessarily gory stand out strongly because they're so weirdly out of left field and gratuitous. Hell, you could make an argument that two of these instances(Nichol and Tolle's deaths) are serving the narrative, because the point of that exchange was to be the final nail that hammers in to Kira and Athrun how loving horrible war is.

But then they have the Cyclops System Blood Balloons bit for no reason later???

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

SEED isn't really a hyperviolent gore fest for like 98% of its runtime. The few times where it is unnecessarily gory stand out strongly because they're so weirdly out of left field and gratuitous. Hell, you could make an argument that two of these instances(Nichol and Tolle's deaths) are serving the narrative, because the point of that exchange was to be the final nail that hammers in to Kira and Athrun how loving horrible war is.

But then they have the Cyclops System Blood Balloons bit for no reason later???

I don't really like the gore but the Cyclops system serves the same system as the other two examples you stated. It's the point where the viewer is shown the story changing from war to slaughter and where both sides shift from fighting to butchering each other,. It's followed up by ZAFT executing prisoners, Orb being razed to the ground, and then eventually up to the genocide competition that is the final fight.

Like even just in basic story terms, the Cyclops system is what triggers ZAFT freaking the gently caress out, deploying their EMP device, and going on a murder spree that makes Yzak Joule go "uh, wow, that's a bit much." It being presented as something genuinely awful, disgusting and excessive is pretty bluntly the actual in-story reason for that. I don't really like the excessive gore at all but it's obviously an attempt to be shocking by showing a level of violence less sanitized than the usual.

(WfM handles this much better, I think, during the infamous squish scene where it likewise has a completely out of nowhere bit of gore that the slow lingers on specifically to make you go "Oh, uh, wow, Suletta what the gently caress")

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 24, 2024

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

It's one of those things where yes it fits the theming but it's done so poorly that it just makes it objectively worse cause it just makes you think "man that was loving gross and completely out of place with the show's aesthetic" rather than "wow war is really bad" and it's pretty obvious that someone at either Sunrise or Bandai agreed considering Destiny from my recollection mostly dials that kind of thing back even though it's just as super weapon heavy as SEED was, and indeed the new movie even though it arguably would in theory have less constraint than a TV show also goes fairly light on the violence based off some clips I've seen(indeed saw a snippet from an interview where they basically admitted they couldn't really get away with that kind of thing like they had back in the original show)

Also I was thinking more GENESIS at the very end rather than CYCLOPS from earlier in the show

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nichol was 15! He loved to play the piano!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf in wfm's case the Splat scene is also kind of weird because nothing like it ever happens again and while it plays into later material somewhat with Miorine working with Suletta's mom and separating from her, the execution is pretty odd. then again that can be said for a lot of wfm

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Endorph posted:

tbf in wfm's case the Splat scene is also kind of weird because nothing like it ever happens again and while it plays into later material somewhat with Miorine working with Suletta's mom and separating from her, the execution is pretty odd. then again that can be said for a lot of wfm

Yeah, I'd honestly say Nichol and Tolle dying horribly is a lot more specifically relevant to Kira's character arc than the splat scene is to Suletta and Miorine. There's awful things that happen in G-Witch S2 that are way more important to the characters than the splat scene is and none of them feature remotely the same level of hyperviolence.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

It's one of those things where yes it fits the theming but it's done so poorly that it just makes it objectively worse cause it just makes you think "man that was loving gross and completely out of place with the show's aesthetic" rather than "wow war is really bad" and it's pretty obvious that someone at either Sunrise or Bandai agreed considering Destiny from my recollection mostly dials that kind of thing back even though it's just as super weapon heavy as SEED was, and indeed the new movie even though it arguably would in theory have less constraint than a TV show also goes fairly light on the violence based off some clips I've seen(indeed saw a snippet from an interview where they basically admitted they couldn't really get away with that kind of thing like they had back in the original show)

Also I was thinking more GENESIS at the very end rather than CYCLOPS from earlier in the show

The new movie has what is arguably the most awful death in Gundam when Athrun's head beam saber fuckin' cooks a dude so I'm not sure it is that.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Have we all forgotten war in the pocket?
Hamburger?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Siegkrow posted:

Have we all forgotten war in the pocket?
Hamburger?

That is horrifying but never shown

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

Yeah, I'd honestly say Nichol and Tolle dying horribly is a lot more specifically relevant to Kira's character arc than the splat scene is to Suletta and Miorine. There's awful things that happen in G-Witch S2 that are way more important to the characters than the splat scene is and none of them feature remotely the same level of hyperviolence.
oh yeah nichol and tolle are completely justified uses of excessive violence imo. the main one that sticks out to me are the random astray girls that just show up to get turbomurdered and nobody cares.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

ImpAtom posted:

The new movie has what is arguably the most awful death in Gundam when Athrun's head beam saber fuckin' cooks a dude so I'm not sure it is that.

Man we've seen plenty of people vaporized by beam sabers directly, how much worse can it be than Thunderbolt or Victory?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

Man we've seen plenty of people vaporized by beam sabers directly, how much worse can it be than Thunderbolt or Victory?

iirc you dont see them hit by it directly rather it gets stabbed into the cockpit above them and the heat off it boils them alive

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I was gonna say I swore that had happened then I remembered I was thinking of Geass S1.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Endorph posted:

You could say it makes sense as an example of what Prospera could make Suletta do if she wanted, but in hindsight it does feel like they could have done the scene differently. Maybe just hitting him with Aerial's vulcans and cutting away?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Endorph posted:

iirc you dont see them hit by it directly rather it gets stabbed into the cockpit above them and the heat off it boils them alive

It’s crazy because if anything, a beam saber being that close would probably be instant disintegration like in Thunderbolt or Victory

Instead they literally just have a 3-4 second shot of this dude melting alive in his pilot seat

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Endorph posted:

oh so it's just a repeat of the cyclops system poo poo then :colbert: didn't plan on watching the movie but i honestly do appreciate this spoiler in case i do, that sort of poo poo makes me very uncomfortable

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

That is horrifying but never shown

Which is generally how this kind of thing should be handled

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

eh, there are plenty of narrative reasons to show excessive violence.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Endorph posted:

eh, there are plenty of narrative reasons to show excessive violence.

Hence why I said generally rather than always, to use a couple other Gundam examples like when Char blasts Kycilia with a bazooka or when Sirocco gets smashed up by the Zeta Gundam

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Hence why I said generally rather than always, to use a couple other Gundam examples like when Char blasts Kycilia with a bazooka or when Sirocco gets smashed up by the Zeta Gundam

Honestly while both of those were really Violent I wouldn't say they were as like, Graphic as some of the deaths in SEED.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kitfox88 posted:

Honestly while both of those were really Violent I wouldn't say they were as like, Graphic as some of the deaths in SEED.

My point exactly

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the only anime violence that has ever bothered me was a half-second from the last episode of Jojo part 4

if you know then you know

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/RealBaoZakeruga/status/1764074748944830974

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

so I wasn't the only person that kept getting hosed on the last few missions?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I hope someone can do that for MX Portable some day (and also translate it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

kirbysuperstar posted:

I hope someone can do that for MX Portable some day (and also translate it)

I'd much, much rather they do the original, instead. MXP is. Not good.