Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Can I get a braid tuggers tag again? Someone changed my avatar in cspam and I lost my tags :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Flowing Thot posted:

Yeah animated feels like the only way you could have done WoT justice for a whole lot of reasons. Feels like it would never had happened though. Despite anime being incredibly popular now animation still has a stigma in the west as more of a kiddy thing and not something for a serious story. Slowly changing though.

In a post-Castlevania world, anything is possible.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Synastren posted:

In a post-Castlevania world, anything is possible.

If it was possible it would have happened.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Flowing Thot posted:

If it was possible it would have happened.

That's not what the word "possible" means.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Maybe not, but when has reason and facts ever gotten in the way of posting bullshit.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I wouldn’t really like a Castlevania style anime for WoT. I’d rather something more realistic looking.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I'm going to make a guess that we get some season 2 news this weekend. JordanCon starts Friday. Maybe they will finally release the clips I saw at NYCC.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Flowing Thot posted:

Yeah animated feels like the only way you could have done WoT justice for a whole lot of reasons. Feels like it would never had happened though. Despite anime being incredibly popular now animation still has a stigma in the west as more of a kiddy thing and not something for a serious story. Slowly changing though.

When you think about it, WoT is already extremely anime

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
More casting news is out.

I hope the money saved by not hiring notable actors is being spent on the writers room.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Hughmoris posted:

I hope the money saved by not hiring notable actors is being spent on the writers room.

There was a video put out yesterday (full of spoilers, won't link) and part of it said that the CGI of the weaves was going to impress people more this season. Alanna's actor also said she thought the wardrobe was even better this season.

We at least know that this season the writers room aren't having to squish 10 episodes down to 8, they know it's 8 to begin with unlike last season.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
huh, I hadn't heard they originally were told they got ten episodes for season 1. Source?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

El Grillo posted:

huh, I hadn't heard they originally were told they got ten episodes for season 1. Source?

He confirms the "JudkinsCut" and confirms he has a script of it that he had to change.

wotseries.com Q&A posted:

Q: One of the biggest complaints I’ve seen regarding the premier is the pacing of episode 1. It’s been reported that you wanted/expected a 10 episode season and a 2 hr pilot, so it’s understandable why it had to be so cram packed when cut down to only 1 hour. Is there any possibly of a JudkinsCut being released later on?
A: Ha, I wish. But the JudkinsCut never really made it out of script form. And to Amazon’s credit, a real focus in streaming nowadays for all of the networks is “pace” and “bingeability”. Anecdotally (and apparently statistically now), tons of non-book fans made it through the first episode and right into the series without stopping down or turning it off. Maybe in the next turning of the Wheel, there’ll be the two hour season premiere featuring unlimited scenes of smithing, Coplins, Congars, and more.

https://www.wotseries.com/2021/11/24/reddit-ama-with-rafe-judkins/

:siren: There are apparently minor book spoilers if you read the whole Q&A

pik_d fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 23, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pik_d posted:

He confirms the "JudkinsCut" and confirms he has a script of it that he had to change.

https://www.wotseries.com/2021/11/24/reddit-ama-with-rafe-judkins/

:siren: There are apparently minor book spoilers if you read the whole Q&A

That part about how most watchers went from the pilot right into the series and didn't stop sounds about right. My mother watched it on a whim with zero knowledge of the series at all and is now a WoT turbo fan just from randomly clicking play on it one day.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Unexpectedly losing 20% of your runtime really could explain a lot about season 1, along with covid. Not everything, but a lot.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nine-gear crow posted:

That part about how most watchers went from the pilot right into the series and didn't stop sounds about right. My mother watched it on a whim with zero knowledge of the series at all and is now a WoT turbo fan just from randomly clicking play on it one day.

Harriet also confirmed in a recent interview that wheel of time book sales are up seven percent this year, over last year, and last year was a surge year due to the series. So more and more people are coming in, likely just from clicking on the series on Amazon Prime.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Hughmoris posted:

This show continues to have the most impossibility beautiful cast.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Dysgenesis posted:

This show continues to have the most impossibility beautiful cast.

I’m struggling to think of a character from the first book whose physical appearance was described negatively in any way (apart from Lan, who is supposed to have a face cut from granite). Just like all the children in Lake Wobegon, all the characters in WoT are above average.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Jordan seems to dislike tavern keepers. Almost all of them tend to be overweight. Cooks too.

It was said before but the worst thing a woman can be described as, with the exception of tavern keepers and cooks, is "handsome" which means she's not some smoking hot babe.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 25, 2023

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jimbot posted:

Jordan seems to dislike tavern keepers. Almost all of them tend to be overweight.

Well you can't trust a slim innkeeper

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Grundulum posted:

I’m struggling to think of a character from the first book whose physical appearance was described negatively in any way (apart from Lan, who is supposed to have a face cut from granite). Just like all the children in Lake Wobegon, all the characters in WoT are above average.
Book chat, but this is def true for main characters, including most notable baddies. There are plenty of ugly characters though, RJ just describes them somewhat indirectly - highlighting specific features (especially noses or being especially thin or fat) in a loosely pejorative fashion. He also tends to focus more on ugly personality traits than physical ones in characters he wants to come across as ugly. Wit and Daise Congar are prime examples of this and they are the first minor named characters you meet in chapter 1 of EOTW.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Well it is a place without processed sugar. Not gonna be too many fatties (unless you get old). So yeah there's gonna be alot of attractive people.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Even the innkeepers all spend all their time bustling, you'd think they'd stay in better shape

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rarity posted:

Well you can't trust a slim innkeeper

yeah he's complimenting them when he says they're overweight

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

That's how you know the girl from the inn in season 1 was up to no good. Not fat enough.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
A thin innkeeper is like a thin chef.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

IcePhoenix posted:

yeah he's complimenting them when he says they're overweight

You can tell a lot about an author from this kind of thing, like how anyone overweight written by JK Rowling is evil, because she's a hateful piece of poo poo. But yeah with RJ it was always like a "never trust a thin chef" kind of thing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Book chat, but this is def true for main characters, including most notable baddies. There are plenty of ugly characters though, RJ just describes them somewhat indirectly - highlighting specific features (especially noses or being especially thin or fat) in a loosely pejorative fashion. He also tends to focus more on ugly personality traits than physical ones in characters he wants to come across as ugly. Wit and Daise Congar are prime examples of this and they are the first minor named characters you meet in chapter 1 of EOTW.

It's been ages but the only one I can think of is the one Borderland captain that everyone 'observes his weak chin' but it's always followed by 'in a few years he'll be old enough to grow a beard to disguise it'.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Rafe has brought back #WoTWednesday's on twitter, this weeks is about Siuan's tattoos

https://twitter.com/rafejudkins/status/1651279579850629120?s=20

https://twitter.com/rafejudkins/status/1651279833866063872

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm not a fan of everything the show does, but I do love the sheer wealth of content that Amazon has as extras, and there's obviously a lot of love and effort put into the production that's great to see too. Suain's tattoos forming a story isn't in the books (she doesn't have tattoos in the books at all), and is completely unnecessary since it won't even be noticed by most viewers but I appreciate them for doing it and it does add a bit to the character without compromising anything from the original source.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 26, 2023

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It's obvious that Rafe and the team really care about the books, I just hope they are allowed to show that in the second season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
But... WHAT IF DARGON BUT GIRL

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Put that level of care and devotion into the writing imo

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Shageletic posted:

Put that level of care and devotion into the writing imo

:hai:

Reminds me of the great episode around Jack's tattoos in LOST.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Season 2 starts on September 1st

https://ew.com/tv/the-wheel-of-time-season-2-first-look-photos-premiere-date/

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Holy poo poo at the delay but at least we have news!

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

Holy poo poo at the delay but at least we have news!
Agreed on this.

Really looking forward to see what exactly they will do in Season 2. Hopefully it will look more like Episodes one through six than the last two.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

The scenes I saw at NYCC were really good. One was new Matt.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Mage_Boy posted:

The scenes I saw at NYCC were really good. One was new Matt.

Any chance there was a new Perrin?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Amazon have greenlit an animated prequel movie called The White Tower which is a positive sign on their long term commitment to the show

And no it doesn't seem to have anything to do with New Spring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
What the heck would it be about apart from New Spring?
Oh unless they are doing a similar thing to Netflix's awful witcher prequel, like a whole-cloth new story by their terrible writers.