Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
He's a book nerd, it's where the whole Amazon business started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Daniel Greene(most prominent WOT youtuber) brought up a good point in a recent video.

How dark and explicit should the show go as far as violence, torture, sex, nudity, sexual assaults/rape? WoT has a reputation of being "soft" or Pg-13, but that has more to do with how the author doesn't wallow in the filth and rub your nose in it like GRRM. The books are chock full of scenes deserving hard R ratings, (aside from the sex scenes mostly fading to black).

I really hope they don't shy away from how horrific and brutal WoT can be, but I also hope they don't lean too far into it like GoT just for the perverted shock value. It's a fine line.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My guess is it will be PG-13. I mean it's no Sword of Truth.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

GreenNight posted:

Yeah, it's still Amazon they're not gonna go as far as GoT. I hope they don't go full Sword of Truth TV series though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I enjoyed Legend of the Seeker but yeah. That was more Xena than GoT. The books can be brutal though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

No but it sure does go some odd places itself.

I fell off SoT, did they make the pain dildos the sex ninja ladies used as hilariously bad in the show?

God help me I even finished that awful series. I had a lot of free time back then.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

GreenNight posted:

I enjoyed Legend of the Seeker but yeah. That was more Xena than GoT. The books can be brutal though.

All the times Richard rapes women, or beats up little girls, yea don't need that.

Or the time when the army of naked people attacks the villains army, painted white so they look like ghosts and because they're being lead by Richards super hot girlfriend they all have boners so that becomes a tactical advantage.

Or the large segments of BDSM.

God I can't believe i read all of those and bought the back half of the series in HARDCOVER. Hardcovers are 40+ bux in Canada, and that was early 2000s money.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Abercrombie had some gnarly passages in his books too. I always wonder if his First Law books would ever get adapted.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ccs posted:

Big fan of fantasy books but I tend towards the newer stuff by Abercrombie and Parker that followed Game of Thrones getting published rather than the old "Farmboy will save the world and there's a Gandalf analogue" type story. But a high budget fantasy adaption is rare so I'll probably check out the first few episodes of this. The best fantasy adaption I've seen is BBC "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell" series but that was just for one book.

that was a good one

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Very excited for this, but yeah there are some legit concerns about choices in production that'll impact it, yet we will simply have to wait and see.

Given I started reading the drat books when I was maybe 12 or 13 and have reread at least the first 6 books a dozen or more times, I was always going to be excited for it to be made into some TV/film thing.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Junkenstein posted:

Didn't he personally save The Expanse because he wanted to see more?

If he did he'd be willing to fund the SFX extravaganza that's the 3 books they're not making into seasons so I don't think that was real.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Repping the incredible sword of truth let's read for anyone who feels like experiencing their edgy teenage years.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668845&pagenumber=167&perpage=40

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

If he did he'd be willing to fund the SFX extravaganza that's the 3 books they're not making into seasons so I don't think that was real.

There's such a huge jump, in time, tone, and cast, for those three books that I can absolutely understand them wrapping up now and letting someone come back to it in fifteen years.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Affi posted:

I'm psyched but also feeling its going to be a poo poo series?

:same:

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
Yeah I've tried to stay level-headed with regards to my expectations for the show, but every time they were announcing a new cast member, or some of the shittay 2 sec teasers I managed to get more hyped. I don't want to be because I don't want it to be a let-down. This was the defining series of my teenage years, so it has a very soft nostalgia-spot within me.

If they can do half the entertaining show they made out of A Song of Ice and Fire (barring a few seasons), I should be happy. Though there are a lot more fantasy/magic elements in WoT than ASOIAF.

I do, however, think that ultimately a Castlevania ish treatment of adult cartoon might have been the best way to properly express the magic/action of this series.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Updated the second post with some new scans from the upcoming September issue of Entertainment Weekly.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The RECAPITATOR posted:

I do, however, think that ultimately a Castlevania ish treatment of adult cartoon might have been the best way to properly express the magic/action of this series.

Between Castlevania itself and Invincible, I think people are a lot more receptive to adult cartoons that aren't primarily comedies now too.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

tsob posted:

Between Castlevania itself and Invincible, I think people are a lot more receptive to adult cartoons that aren't primarily comedies now too.

This is true, but I'll also say there are some folks (like my wife) that just have a prejudice against the animated medium and wouldn't engage with it on that basis alone. The show will have a much better chance at a wide audience and big lasting success as a live action thing than it would have as an animated one, even if I might agree it's better suited to an animated medium.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yeah, I don't doubt that but at the same time, the more successful adult dramatic animations there are the more chance of breaking that perception and making animation just another medium rather than one for kids or comedies only. And the more successful shows there are, the more chance people like your wife would try it and/or move past it. Some people probably never would, and your wife may be one, but it'd be nice to see more such animations in the future regardless of whether Wheel of Time in particular is one.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I’d be ok with WoT animation in the realm of Final Fantasy movies with the attention to detail and more natural colors or something like that. Less realistic animation like Castlevania/Invincible wouldn’t do it for me, just feels too cartoony.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

They should have gone with claymation imo.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

latinotwink1997 posted:

I’d be ok with WoT animation in the realm of Final Fantasy movies with the attention to detail and more natural colors or something like that. Less realistic animation like Castlevania/Invincible wouldn’t do it for me, just feels too cartoony.

Like it or not, the Wheel of Time is an anime at heart

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Rand!
Elayne!
Rand!
Min!
Rand al'Thor!
Aviendha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsNv4JN4BXg

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I haven't read the last few books, so I've no idea how that relationship clusterfuck resolves, but if the show has any social cachet and gets to the point it establishes the weird love quadrangle/harem around Rand then the discourse around it will probably be a quagmire.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

It will be interesting to see what they do with that. That's actually an area of WoT that I think could use some improvement. I'm not sure any of the romances feel earned in WoT. Maaaaaybe Siuan and Gareth if only because that one drags out over so many books before they officially become a couple. But there's a lot of "love at first sight" and "oh by the way, we're in love now" in WoT and if they could make some of it feel more authentic, that'd be a huge improvement.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 21, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I vaguely remember feeling like the [couple set up in the first book and playing out over the series spoiler]Nyvaeve/Lan romance was alright, but I barely remember any details of it, and just liked the snarky tension I think. Mind you, I imagine a lot of people will like that in it, even if it's kind of superficial. The [couple set up a few books in spoiler]Perrin romance with...girl whose name I can't remember, but with a striking nose he comments on a lot was decent too if I recall, just because it felt like there was some actual work putting into making them care about each other. Faile? I think that's her name. I dropped out around the time there was a romance being set up with Mat, but that one seemed like it could be good too and it always felt like there was supposed to be something between [couple implied throughout the series but never really formed until possibly very late in the books spoiler]Moraine and Thom; who it's always suggested would come back. Again, I never read the last few books to know how that played out.

I do think there's some good romantic pairings there. Melodramatic and fairly cliche, sure, but still the kind of thing I think people will like regardless and not any more so than a lot of fiction tends to trade in really.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Spoilers for relationships. Min and Rand is very good, to the point that his relationship with the others doesn't really make any sense. Although Aviendha being a massive Tsundere is something I'll enjoy.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Teaser trailer drops tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1433098015829487616

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1433097594561986561

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Odds are this will be mediocre to bad. But I'll probably check it out for Rosamund Pike, who's amazing and creeped the gently caress out of me with her Gone Girl performance.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'll be watching every single episode.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I think it'll be quite good for what it is, given how much love is clearly going into it from the whole cast and crew. There's no way it's going to live up to the expectations of most of the fans, though. There's just no way to reasonably adapt such a sprawling tale without compressing or cutting out most of it. I'm doing my best to keep my hype levels at minimum so that I'll be pleasantly surprised.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
As long as they realize that the books have a lot of filler that they can cut. Season 1 better not follow the first book because god drat that was a snoozefest.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

twistedmentat posted:

As long as they realize that the books have a lot of filler that they can cut. Season 1 better not follow the first book because god drat that was a snoozefest.

Season 1 is supposed to get into Great Hunt so they gotta be making some big cuts.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

uPen posted:

Season 1 is supposed to get into Great Hunt so they gotta be making some big cuts.

It looks more like season 1 is significantly TEoTW, with maybe some elements of New Spring as flashbacks, and probably the lead-in into TGH in the back half of the last episode.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fus4Xb_TLg

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Alright they definitely cut a good trailer. The fade looks rad.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
This is what I get for being at work :argh:

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Trailer looks good - does anyone else think it looks a bit too....I don't know, bright and polished, almost plastic? Every scene looks super bright, gives it a very PG13 look.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the series has always been a lot more concerned with colorful and fantastical things than being grimy so it's probably not too much of a surprise if they focus more on the former than the latter when going for a cohesive visual style. you get a lot of characters in fancy dresses and whatever instead of mud-smeared tunics so they're probably going to reserve grittier looks for certain characters when it's more plot-relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I've been pissing and moaning about how dull and not colorful media has been for years, everything's always grey or all graded into some kind of monochrome. I'm very ready for something that has lots of bright colors, magic, epic fantasy! Big bright and bold is what I've been hoping for from this show and it looks like they might actually deliver