Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

NikkolasKing posted:

An observation: The fights in YYH aren't very good in and of themselves. They are good because of the writing and execution.

...what do you think makes a good fight, exactly? The writing and execution dictate as much about the internal logic and mechanics of battle scenes as it does plot and the characterization.

Comics and cartoons are not like action movies, where you can have a lovely script but a dedicated stunt team and choreographer who still manage to shine through in spite of it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the fights in YYH are also by and large very good even if you discount the little headgames everyone plays. i still remember how fluid and intense the yusuke vs. doctor battle was, and that was just two guys duking it out in a hospital corridor

and this came after an arc where yusuku had leveled a zipcode-sized space by yelling really loud

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

There's plenty of stock shonen fights in YYH but also a lot of absolutely loving fantastic ones. Yusuke vs Doctor and Yusuke vs Sensui part one are fantastic and both Hiei and Kurama get a ton of excellent fights

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i think i'm harder-pressed to remember any particular bad fights in YYH? all the main characters had their own form of appeal. yusuke's were straightforward slugfests but got by on combat banter, especially in the tourney arc. kuwabara's were maybe the most tedious because 90% of all his fights were just him facetanking, but you had chris sabat's voice work and also his opponents getting more and more freaked out by his resilience. kurama's were basically proto-HxH battles with both fighters doing mindgames until someone died horribly. hiei just nuked everything

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Oxxidation posted:

i think i'm harder-pressed to remember any particular bad fights in YYH? all the main characters had their own form of appeal. yusuke's were straightforward slugfests but got by on combat banter, especially in the tourney arc. kuwabara's were maybe the most tedious because 90% of all his fights were just him facetanking, but you had chris sabat's voice work and also his opponents getting more and more freaked out by his resilience. kurama's were basically proto-HxH battles with both fighters doing mindgames until someone died horribly. hiei just nuked everything

As mentioned not a super big fan of Kurama vs Elder Toguro.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I wanted to see more Mukuro. If Togashi could have replicated her character and inserted it into HxH after he finished Yu Yu Hakusho, that would've been great.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

11 episodes in, it's OK so far. Things are building up nicely but we're weighing everything against HxH, which gets right into it from episode 1.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The 2011 hxh skipped a ton of stuff lol

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

GorfZaplen posted:

The 2011 hxh skipped a ton of stuff lol

True, but to be fair, so did YuYuHakusho. It condescended like 2 volumes of miscellaneous ghost adventures down to like 4 episodes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah on the whole YYH probably skips more, which makes sense a lot of that stuff isn’t very shonen

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also reminder: While he has done some fantastic work in the field in his later years, Hiyama's top-of-the-line blood-curdling screams were also good at making Hiei's most awesome/horrifying moments have a different impact:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jvSj-BBmI8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtPjvf3HKcg

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Fantastic show, I wish any other shonen had such a strong core cast.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

...what do you think makes a good fight, exactly? The writing and execution dictate as much about the internal logic and mechanics of battle scenes as it does plot and the characterization.

Comics and cartoons are not like action movies, where you can have a lovely script but a dedicated stunt team and choreographer who still manage to shine through in spite of it all.

Like, take Yusuke vs. Toguro as an example. Really, nothing happens in that fight outside of a few Big Moments. Moreover, Yusuke and Toguro have pretty simplistic powers compared to everything we've seen in the Dark Tournament. But it still works because of the characters and emotions.

But I don't see why you think cartoons can't have good-looking fights without great writings just like in an action film.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Finished ep. 21 last night. Honestly, the Suzaku fight was terribly paced. We were groaning at every cut away to Botan or binky boy, while the rest of the team wastes time on completely non-threatening vegetables. I had to check before posting this, could've sworn it went on for 5-6 episodes but apparently it was only 3.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Saint Beasts kinda suck and are my least favorite arc. Genbu's a chump Byakko goes on way too long and Suzaku also drags rear end. Seiryu's the only one I really like.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

up to episode 42 now, Kuwabara's about to fight the last ninja team guy. For the most part we're still thinking 'when does this get good?'. There are way too many characters who serve no purpose other than to repeat what's happening on screen and holy crap is it a waste of time. Binky boy and foxgirl announcer need to be catapulted into the sun.

There's also the problem with Yusuke being generally unlikeable.

Irish ninja fight had some spark. Please do more stuff like that, or better.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 26, 2021

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yusuke rules and is one of the best shonen protagonists out there, what the gently caress

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean there is a reason most shonen protagonists are basically wet cardboard.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

up to episode 42 now, Kuwabara's about to fight the last ninja team guy. For the most part we're still thinking 'when does this get good?'. There are way too many characters who serve no purpose other than to repeat what's happening on screen and holy crap is it a waste of time. Binky boy and foxgirl announcer need to be catapulted into the sun.

There's also the problem with Yusuke being generally unlikeable.

Irish ninja fight had some spark. Please do more stuff like that, or better.

I think if at this point you don’t like it, maybe just stop? All the stuff here is good stuff and considered some of the best parts in the show.

RevolverDivider posted:

Yusuke rules and is one of the best shonen protagonists out there, what the gently caress

Also yeah to this. I have never seen anyone come away thinking Yusuke was unlikeable. He’s a great protag from minute one and only gets better.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Nah we don't want to quit. We know Togashi is a great writer so we're going to give the story its fair shake and see it through to the end.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

good anime.

good manga

Yusuke Urameshi ftw

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

Nah we don't want to quit. We know Togashi is a great writer so we're going to give the story its fair shake and see it through to the end.

Well if you do, Chapter Black will definitely be the make or break for you. It’s easily the peak of the series and it never hits that high again (my love for the next saga is despite its very big flaws).

Asuron fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 30, 2021

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Finished Psychic Fun House last night, best part of the show so far IMO. My wife actually likes a character now (Hiei). But we're continually frustrated by the execution, e.g.:

- Toguro's interesting characterization comes largely in a post-death exposition dump
- Genkai's and Kuwabara's deaths are undone far too quickly. Between flashbacks, reveals and possessions, Genkai features in every(?) episode between her death and resurrection. At least one of them should've stayed dead.
- Yusuke has major emotional growth and then immediately goes back to slapping a catatonic Keiko.
- Catatonic Keiko sits there for 10 minutes of a 15 minute countdown and no one just picks her up and walks out.
- Binky boy reaction scenes are still a total waste of time. Stop. Wasting. My. Time.

Again, it's not bad, but it could be better.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

GyroNinja posted:

Doesn't Hiei even have a quote in the Dark Tournament where he says something to the effect of "People think I'm the evil one of the group, but man, don't ever make Kurama mad"?

Yeah pretty much said that Kurama was the one that shouldn't be hosed with, since he's far more cruel when he wants to be. As shown by the assassin that attacked yomi not talking for god knows how many years of torture. Being that terrified of yoko.
edit: fresh blood? time to add tags

Brownieftw fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 12, 2021

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Super tense moment where Yusuke comes face to face with the doctor and then smash cut to yet another time wasting goofy Koenma scene

I almost screamed

The fight's animation was really cool though, another high point.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

bees x1000 posted:

Super tense moment where Yusuke comes face to face with the doctor and then smash cut to yet another time wasting goofy Koenma scene

I almost screamed

The fight's animation was really cool though, another high point.

I just did a re-watch of the show and noticed that they really went all out for that fight. It looked fantastic

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

snackcakes posted:

I just did a re-watch of the show and noticed that they really went all out for that fight. It looked fantastic

conceptually it's also impressive how the show went from yusuke fighting an eight-foot muscle monster who can suck out a stadiumful of people's souls by screaming really loudly, to beating up a middle-aged dude in a hospital corridor, and still made the latter just as menacing as the former

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

We're at Chapter Black's climax and Kurama is pissed

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

We've got 9 episodes left and all I have to say right now is the Hiei - eye surgeon guy clash is very weirdly choreographed. It looks like Hiei cuts his own arm off for no reason.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

bees x1000 posted:

We've got 9 episodes left and all I have to say right now is the Hiei - eye surgeon guy clash is very weirdly choreographed. It looks like Hiei cuts his own arm off for no reason.

He intended to die in that clash, so it's not like it mattered if he maimed his body. It looks a bit weirder because of how it cuts through his arm like butter while being played in slow-mo, but the intent is that he's using the arm to brace his sword when it impacts the phosphorus ring, allowing for him to get above it, and he cuts into the arm as a result of the impact, and just does a clean cut through it to more quickly position himself to slash Shigure.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

hiei is the best character in YYH because he's just a mean little fucker

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, the rest of the cast can sort of tolerate hiei when he's on their side, but not one character actually likes him.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yeah, the rest of the cast can sort of tolerate hiei when he's on their side, but not one character actually likes him.

Yukina, Mukuro

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Finished last night. I'm glad I watched it, had its moments, didn't hate it. IMO the story is a long slow buildup before hitting its stride at Yusuke vs Toguro. Then it's a least decent through Chapter Black until nosediving at the Yusuke-demon twist.

Hiei is the best character. My favorite moments are the Doctor fight and Kurama's Gamemaster and Toguro fights. (but could have been better if the Doctor and Gamemaster stayed dead)

If HxH is an A I'd give YYH a C+.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 27, 2021

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
I made myself laugh on reflecting on this series the other day because I had the thought that Sensui was basically radicalized because he went on rotten dot com. I still like his motivation to let the demons kill him for furthering their plight but thinking about plot points in a reductive manner like that tickles me.

edit: hey just gauging opinion here but does anyone else get a real wistful sensation from listening to the final opening? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmQBNze-sJw

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 17, 2021

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

So all of YYH is on Tubi and I proceeded to watch all of it over the course of about a month. As a kid I was obsessed with the show but never saw anything beyond the beginning of Sensui's stuff.

The show definitely starts to run out of steam as the show goes on, which is a shame because the animation seems to keep getting better and better as the show goes on. I really struggled to get through the final fight with Sensui and the majority of the Three Kings stuff; it just felt like rehashing stuff that was done better before. It also really sucks to take Kuwabara off the board for the final story; he really grew into the best character on the show for me.

The final episode was great, though, absolutely loved it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

dark tournament ftw

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

After also watching most of this show when it aired on Toonami but never sticking with it into the 'Black Tape' episodes, finally finished it during the pandemic.

Thought it ended only 'alright', clearly peaked with the Dark Tournament, but was impressed that they more or less stuck the landing. Cute show. Good characters. Definitely a lot of unrealised potential in the bulk of the non-Yuskae cast. Last arc might have been a bit shruggy, with Yuyu being a chosen one from birthright but did like the setup for it, and general situation around it.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I need to reread it but YYH has always been my favorite Togashi manga. The anime was a huge part of my childhood too, but with the exception of the Chimera Ant Arc in HxH which was fantastic, I just kinda preferred YYH's vibes more, at least up until the end of Sensui's arc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

dark tournament ftw