Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Tatakai no Hate is the best OST , I will argue this one till death.

I think Chapter Black had a great start and middle, but once you start getting into the cave fight with Yusuke the arc starts dragging and I really don't enjoy how all their powerups are rendered useless. With the Three Kings arc, I thought it was a really great premise, basically three powers who are so strong they are forced to politically fight things out which goes against the inherent nature of what they are.

I'm okay with how it ended because of the anime's great scene where Yusuke just pushes Yomi to the edge and Kuwabara appears in the people commenting on the fight. Plus the great finale with them all at the beachside really tugs at the heartstrings. The manga's ending is really ....not as good to put it nicely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I'm also just gonna put it out there I wish we had more psychic powers like Taboo or Game Master rather than the stuff we got with the Doctor or Seaman. Those were easily some of the best episodes in the show and I think Togashi agreed, because a lot of nen powers he introduced in HxH were modelled after those two where you couldn't just muscle your way through a situation, you had to play by the creator's rules with your intellect while being at a significant disadvantage.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

you know, yyh is the only manga i can think of that improved after reinventing itself as a fighting manga. the initial ghost stuff wasn't bad by any means, but it was still the least good part of the manga.

Depends honestly.

The arc they introduce the Toguro brothers is the highlight of the spirit detective stuff and if it was more of that, I'd think it be pretty great.

The best fights in my mind go down to anything with Kurama. Just using his wits and prevailing in totally reasonable ways, no real power level stuff going on except when he became his demon self which was sparingly used and his showdown with the Game Master is very brutal. He completely plays the kid into psyching himself out and it's hard to even fault him for it, because literally everything is on the line if he doesn't take him out.

Then the immediate confrontation he has with Younger Toguro, where he lets out all the rage at having to make that decision is fantastic.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Elder Toguro. And that encounter did annoy me slightly. Elder Toguro was the strongest of Sensui’s allies, and got a bit of build up, so it was a bit anti climatic to have Kurama deal with him instantly in a way that bypasses his immortality. Honestly when I first saw it I wondered if someone would find him and free him from the plant and also wondered why Gatekeeper or Sensui did not free him.

You are correct! My mistake.

I personally loved it and I think he was left there by them because, like everyone else to Sensui, he was just a pawn to buy time and he did his job. No real need to remove him from the plant with his purpose served.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think it was stated that Toguro's wish to be the strongest type of Demon and him being only be a B-Class is because only B or lower Demons could go to the human world.

I thought Sensui was High A normally then Low S in his true self. All the other Sensui Seven were considered A, and the Taboo user were considered A Class equivalent.

No that's incorrect.

None of the human psychics were strong physically, but their territories made so it physical strength wasn't a requirement to win. That's the whole point of why Genkai ambushes them in that hideout, to teach them that the abilities of the new psychics mean that their physical strength alone isn't enough to compete.

Sensui when he fights Yusuke says Yusuke is stronger than him , but it doesn't matter because his experience will win out. The only time he's ever stronger than Yusuke is when he pulls out the Sacred energy with his true personality.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I wanted to see more Mukuro. If Togashi could have replicated her character and inserted it into HxH after he finished Yu Yu Hakusho, that would've been great.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

up to episode 42 now, Kuwabara's about to fight the last ninja team guy. For the most part we're still thinking 'when does this get good?'. There are way too many characters who serve no purpose other than to repeat what's happening on screen and holy crap is it a waste of time. Binky boy and foxgirl announcer need to be catapulted into the sun.

There's also the problem with Yusuke being generally unlikeable.

Irish ninja fight had some spark. Please do more stuff like that, or better.

I think if at this point you don’t like it, maybe just stop? All the stuff here is good stuff and considered some of the best parts in the show.

RevolverDivider posted:

Yusuke rules and is one of the best shonen protagonists out there, what the gently caress

Also yeah to this. I have never seen anyone come away thinking Yusuke was unlikeable. He’s a great protag from minute one and only gets better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

Nah we don't want to quit. We know Togashi is a great writer so we're going to give the story its fair shake and see it through to the end.

Well if you do, Chapter Black will definitely be the make or break for you. It’s easily the peak of the series and it never hits that high again (my love for the next saga is despite its very big flaws).

Asuron fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 30, 2021