Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
Once Virtanen gets out of legal trouble and gets back to the NHL he should only need a couple more years to reach his potential and thrive as power forwards always take longer to develop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Pungry posted:

The Rangers have a Lundkvist right after getting rid of Lundqvist? What the hell.

Yep, Nils. And he looks like a pretty slick puck moving dman prospect.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

eXXon posted:

The Blackhawks need to change their name to something less offensive but maintain the cadence, like Black Hockey Team.

They don't even need to change the name. Put the space back in the name and change the crest to a literal black hawk.

The issue has always been the Native American imagery.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Their logo doesn't even look anything like Blackhawk or his people. Their style was (and is) totally different.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
They need to be the Chicago Predators and Nashville can pick a less unfortunate name for their team.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dissolve the team and bring back the Whalers or the Nordiques

or gently caress it
golden seals

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

They need to be the Chicago Predators and Nashville can pick a less unfortunate name for their team.

The Nashville Honky-Tonkies; Go Honkies Go!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jackets are going to keep both Korpi and Elvis after Kivi got killed.

https://twitter.com/markscheig/status/1419377865074909187

Jones->Boqvist, Bean, Cole Sillinger, 2022 1st.
Panarin- Tried to re-sign, walked.
Atkinson->the second coming of Jake Voracek
Dubinsky- Dead
PLD->Laine, Roslovic
Dzingel- Didn't attempt to re-sign.
Nash-> 6th round pick
Savard-> 1st which became CHI 1st which became Cole Sillinger, 2022 4th.
Foligno-> that defenseman who's named after Shane Corson.
Anderson->Domi
Duchene- Didn't attempt to re-sign.
:cop:- Didn't attempt to re-sign.
Torts- Volunteered to go to the unemployment office.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Dissolve the team and bring back the Whalers or the Nordiques

or gently caress it
golden seals

please give me back the Hartford Whalers

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Jon Irenicus posted:

please give me back the Hartford Whalers

Agreed but they don't have a arena (NHL won't allow XL Center)

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Imagine being outdone vis-à-vis racial sensitivity by the loving NFL and MLB. I guess the gleeful cover up of sex crimes is about on par w the rest of the leagues. Real shameful stuff!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Let's be honest with ourselves, we loved Brass Bonanza and the jerseys, but Hartford was by and wide fuckin terrible, and they've been gone almost 25 years now. Quebec's been gone even longer. I loved some of hockey's heyday myself but that's gotta be let go at some point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If we let Columbus stay we can let Hartford back.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Phoenix wishes it had something as memorable as Brass Bonanza.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DJExile posted:

Let's be honest with ourselves, we loved Brass Bonanza and the jerseys, but Hartford was by and wide fuckin terrible, and they've been gone almost 25 years now. Quebec's been gone even longer. I loved some of hockey's heyday myself but that's gotta be let go at some point.

I will NEVER give up on that dope logo or those jerseys, so come say that poo poo to my face bitch

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I'm convinced that if they didn't create The Mighty Ducks, Disney would've bought the Whalers as a way to appeal to ESPN workers. Wasn't to be though

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

DJExile posted:

Yeah, and Ron Francis is a moron. Did you see that expansion draft?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Yeah, and Ron Francis is a moron. Did you see that expansion draft?

One time Hartford Whaler Ron Francis....MY GOD!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

One time Hartford Whaler Ron Francis....MY GOD!

It's an inside job to tank the Kraken from the start

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
What's going on with the arena in Calgary?

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/cmlcs-future-role-in-arena-construction-part-of-negotiations-as-project-pause-continues

Mayor Nenshi posted:

The entire agreement is a bit up in the air at the moment because we are dealing with very unexpected cost overruns

That set off a few alarm bells for me. It was a pretty contentious negotiation to get the deal done IIRC.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
fire holland

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Good soup! posted:

I will NEVER give up on that dope logo or those jerseys, so come say that poo poo to my face bitch

The Hurricanes wear them like 4 times a year

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
"Very" "unexpected" cost overruns on a project where taxpayers are almost guaranteed to be required to pick up the bill if it goes over budget??? :monocle:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I guess there's a small chance the OEL trade wont be terrible, but it's a huge gamble.

He's going to count 7.25m against the cap at age 30-35, it's going to be terrible. The question is how terrible and how soon.

Like with the Myers deal, it was obviously going to be terrible from the beginning, but you hoped to get at least a few years of near-even value out of it (even though all evidence said it was going to be a tire fire from day one and it was)

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

heehee posted:

your a fuckin idiiot dude. theyre not trading hughes

It's not a terrible plan (ok it is terrible), but the biggest problem is assuming Benning can use cap space effectively.

If by some miracle we had 30m going into this offseason we'd currently have a top 4 of Hughes/Keith/Jones/OEL

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 26, 2021

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

also, like I've said, there's nothing wrong with the idea of "reclamation projects", it's reasonable in some cases to think a poorly-performing player can be improved and that's what your pro scouting department is for

but you should be getting a discount! You should be paying for what the player IS, not what he potentially could be. It's never worth gambling that a deal could be fair value at BEST.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Friedmans predictions on where some of the bigger names wind up -

Free agency…
Dougie Hamilton: New Jersey
David Savard: Montreal
Gabriel Landeskog: not hugely confident in this prediction, but he and Colorado find a way
Blake Coleman: the prediction is, he gets 6×5
Jaden Schwartz: Seattle, basically done during the Kraken’s exclusive window
Brandon Saad: St. Louis, Islanders, Pittsburgh or Los Angeles
Kyle Palmieri: haven’t heard a thing, which means the Islanders probably have him locked up
Phillip Danault: Los Angeles takes a surprise look
Alec Martinez: stays in Vegas
Alex Goligoski: Minnesota
Derek Forbort: Boston
Zach Hyman: Edmonton. Makes me feel I’m getting one right
Alexander Ovechkin: 3×10 to stay in Washington
Ryan Suter: Dallas
Florida: locks up Sam Bennett, Sam Reinhart and Carter Verhaeghe.
Trades…
Ryan Strome: Seattle, Vegas or Ottawa.
Vladimir Tarasenko: Islanders or New Jersey. I think both those teams add something

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

But then there's also this tonight

https://twitter.com/adater/status/1419517152395104256?s=21

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think at this point it's fairly clear the Avs have decided to move on from Landeskog unless he gives them a steep discount.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Iodised QQ posted:

Friedmans predictions on where some of the bigger names wind up -

Free agency…
Dougie Hamilton: New Jersey
David Savard: Montreal
Gabriel Landeskog: not hugely confident in this prediction, but he and Colorado find a way
Blake Coleman: the prediction is, he gets 6×5
Jaden Schwartz: Seattle, basically done during the Kraken’s exclusive window
Brandon Saad: St. Louis, Islanders, Pittsburgh or Los Angeles
Kyle Palmieri: haven’t heard a thing, which means the Islanders probably have him locked up
Phillip Danault: Los Angeles takes a surprise look
Alec Martinez: stays in Vegas
Alex Goligoski: Minnesota
Derek Forbort: Boston
Zach Hyman: Edmonton. Makes me feel I’m getting one right
Alexander Ovechkin: 3×10 to stay in Washington
Ryan Suter: Dallas
Florida: locks up Sam Bennett, Sam Reinhart and Carter Verhaeghe.
Trades…
Ryan Strome: Seattle, Vegas or Ottawa.
Vladimir Tarasenko: Islanders or New Jersey. I think both those teams add something

Jersey would be interesting with both Tarasenko and Dougie. Especially Dougie, though it seems like their hole is at LD.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Does Dater know anything at all?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/ineffectivemath/status/1419636064201973760?s=21

Goddamn, Super Nintendo Hjalmarsson absolutely abhorred offense.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Rangers are gonna trade Strome and overpay Coleman aren't they?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Probably!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1419633957596024833?s=21

Tomorrow is buyout day but today there should be players on waivers.

Also QOs are due today.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Love that the Canucks are likely about to buy out Brayden Holtby, a guy they signed 9 months ago. Maybe they didn't need a big name and spending $5m on a backup was stupid? Who could've see this coming?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Also RIP the Vancouver Capitals. It was fun while it lasted, for me at least. Not actually watching them play, because it sucked. But it was fun watching Vancouver implode from afar.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
The Reinhart return was underwhelming. But I think a lot of people are overlooking the cap space gained as an asset in the trade.

Late 1st
Young goalie prospect
7?mil in cap space. A good GM could get a lot out of that cap space in a flat cap world. We’ll see what Adams does with it. I’d hope they get paid another 1st rounder to take on a 1-2 year cap dump.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If Holtby‘s getting bought out, could the Caps resign him on the cheap? 100% would love him to backup Samsonov.

Also, any word on Lundquist? He gonna retire or give it another shot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

Zodijackylite posted:

The Buchnevich trade is making up for a long history of James Dolan making the blues worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q330AOycYk

:hmmyes: