Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Edit: Redacted

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Unfortunately the reboot is also confirmed to be an Epic exclusive (at first). Oh well, I guess that means it will be at a nice discount when it finally comes to a game store I don't despise.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

For whatever it's worth, David Klein deleted his tweet so I also removed that post from the previous page.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
If anyone’s not got it, Epic Games have the remastered Saints Row the Third for free for the next week.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

My post wasn't deleted, bit justnpretemd there used to be some witty comedy here so I can feel like a part of this.

Seriously though, what was in that tweet that such deletion is necessary?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

I didn't see it but apparently a lot of people used the tweet to be Very Angry about the remake.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Nothing in the tweet itself, apparently, just gamers in the thread being assholes and whining about the reboot trailer being bad. :cripes:

Anyway, the story has been picked up by various outlets now, confirming what was said in the tweet:

Saints Row modder and Volition community developer Mike Watson, aka IdolNinja, has died

gently caress cancer!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
No. In the words of a famous comedian who lost friends to cancer, Unfuck Cancer! Because gently caress can be a good thing. So Unfuck cancer! Same to covid.

On the remake, I will hold final judgement till I play the actual game, but the trailer was cool. I doubt we could achieve all its events in game outside a cutscene but that’s typical.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Probably most pertinent to what's come up in the LP, the trailer looks grounded. There's plenty of flair and silliness, which is good, but the street gang (The Pantheros, I think it said?) looked like a legit gang and not rodeo clowns or something.

And pour one out for IdolNinja.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Tenebrais posted:

Probably most pertinent to what's come up in the LP, the trailer looks grounded. There's plenty of flair and silliness, which is good, but the street gang (The Pantheros, I think it said?) looked like a legit gang and not rodeo clowns or something.

Something which critical Twitter comments seems to have missed, seen at least one saying that the bad guy gang would be better as the Saints with how they look.
I mean I can give them that the character designs for your sidekicks are a bit too bland and done by committee but even then they miss the grounded angle.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

drat, I didn't revive my home within 15s. RIP idolninja, you made the sr2 PC port a lot more fun.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDr4l1DdRCU

Slight longer and more explaining video of the reboot. With some gameplay too.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 9: The First Dance

It's time to get properly fast and/or furious as we begin our efforts to take down the Westside Rollerz with the help of Lin, who is trying to infiltrate the Rollerz to discover their evil plans. At this point, they just seem to be racing and stealing some cars, but maybe there's more to it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Geez, Troy, it's like you used to have a job where you frequently frustrated people on the road who drove fast or something... you're so good at it! Also surprising anyone can hear what Troy's saying driving past at such speeds.

Chinatown is already ruled by Mr. Wang (or whatever his name is, the Triad guy who had a translator), the Saints just cooperate with him.

Pouring gasoline on someone who's on fire works a lot better than alcohol. Or kerosene.

I remember Tia Carrere the most for her turn as the bad girl in True Lies.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Tia also played the Martian Queen in Duck Dodgers as I recall. She also had her own Tomb Raider knockoff series as well that I remember watching and kinda enjoyed.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

At least the reboot isn't taking place in Steelport, I am digging the Southwest/Los Angles setting. Game being Epic exclusive does suck though.

RIP Idolninja, gently caress cancer.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Pouring a 40 on someone actively on fire would likely help more than hurt, the alcohol content is pretty low, its mostly water. If it was hard liquor that'd be a different story.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

achtungnight posted:

Chinatown is already ruled by Mr. Wang (or whatever his name is, the Triad guy who had a translator), the Saints just cooperate with him.
Wong.

Also, his aide is an interpreter. Interpreting is of course oral translation so it's not technically wrong to call him a translator, but generally a translator would be someone like me who works with text (and translating prerecorded speech into text) whereas an interpreter works with live speech. Again, both are technically translation and you will learn a bit of both (and generally specialize in one or the other) if you decide to get a Translation Studies degree for some reason, but there's such a distinction between the two skillsets that there are separate terms for them. :eng101:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
ChaosArgate, I continue to respect your dedication to working "The Los Carnales" into any conversation you can. DM may not, but, well. :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 10: Death Race

We meet the gentlemen running the Rollerz operation, and things take a bit of a turn for the Playa and Lin.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The whole infiltration plot is kind of weird, really. Lin is absolutely terrible at it and only manages to get anything because Donnie is such a mark. Feels like they came at it from the perspectice that the Rollerz mission chain will be about the Saints having a mole in them and you're working with/around her, without considering whether these characters would actually get themselves into that situation. Whose idea was it to put the grumpy hothead in charge of earning people's trust.

And I'm still not sure how the Playa made it out of that but not Lin? One shot they're both stuck in the car, the next the Playa swims to the surface.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

The whole infiltration plot is kind of weird, really. Lin is absolutely terrible at it and only manages to get anything because Donnie is such a mark. Feels like they came at it from the perspectice that the Rollerz mission chain will be about the Saints having a mole in them and you're working with/around her, without considering whether these characters would actually get themselves into that situation. Whose idea was it to put the grumpy hothead in charge of earning people's trust.

And I'm still not sure how the Playa made it out of that but not Lin? One shot they're both stuck in the car, the next the Playa swims to the surface.

Lin was kind of shot several times. It could have played a factor. Then again she also decided to go undercover so we could get the same information the player was able to get by just... walking up to the mansion and deliberately antagonized the boss of the gang she was trying to infiltrate, so maybe she just used up her air trying to lock her car up before she left or something equally stupid.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm confused as to what the Rollers are even supposed to be doing. Stuff previous to this has suggested that they're a street racing gang, but apparently they're getting bankrolled by a guy who lives in a mansion because ???

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
It really was a comedy of errors all around. The way the Playa got caught was the stupidest thing. He shoots his way through like 40 guys, but then completely fails to actually secure the room he's in before trying to cut Lynn free and one guy with a baseball bat takes him out?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I'm confused as to what the Rollers are even supposed to be doing. Stuff previous to this has suggested that they're a street racing gang, but apparently they're getting bankrolled by a guy who lives in a mansion because ???

Looks like they're also trafficking in cars in general? The operations the Saints disrupted there involved stealing a bunch of car parts to fulfil some sort of order.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Gothsheep posted:

It really was a comedy of errors all around. The way the Playa got caught was the stupidest thing. He shoots his way through like 40 guys, but then completely fails to actually secure the room he's in before trying to cut Lynn free and one guy with a baseball bat takes him out?

Plus they left him with his entire arsenal on him rather than taking his guns.

I can’t help but think it would be improved to have the Playa find Lin is already dead, turns round and sees the old guy standing in the doorway mockingly applauding him (let Donnie find out she’s dead at the same time), then leaves the Playa to be killed by some Rollerz goons. Playa easily takes them out, chases him and we get the chase.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I'm surprised they didn't just lure us into an ambush by giving false plans to Lin, rather than the capture/compel_call line.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

rchandra posted:

I'm surprised they didn't just lure us into an ambush by giving false plans to Lin, rather than the capture/compel_call line.

Did you see how much he had been talking to donny lately? Dude just needed to hit something hard and repeatedly

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 11: Semi-Charmed Life

With Mr. Sharp out of the picture, Price assumes full command of the Rollerz and sets out to destroy the Saints, the Playa specifically. Of course, we're not having any of that and we certainly don't appreciate someone trying to run us over in a semi truck.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Nice that they give you infinite ammo in some of those vehicle shootouts. For all weapons or just specified ones?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

That last Rollerz mission doesn't really make sense. Why is Price trying to get away? He called you out, made one half-arsed attempt to kill you, then drove off. Why? What would happen if he escapes? Where's he going?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Price is all ego, not much to back it up- or as we say in Texas all hat, no cattle. We have totally decimated and embarrassed his gang by the point he comes after us directly. Any Rollerz we didn't kill in the convoy chase, the mansion raid where we stole Price's car, or all of the missions before that is probably seeing the gang as a bunch of loser wannabes by that point and seriously thinking about leaving it if they haven't quit already. Price's best bet is to get out of Stillwater, start a new gang somewhere else, and then come back for revenge. He makes a token attempt to kill the Playa before that, and at least remind you "Hey, I exist and I'll get you!" He just doesn't think the Playa will be fast or tough enough to pursue and kill him. Which makes sense, he has been underestimating the Playa all along.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm guessing the buyers might be Ultor in 2.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You know, the Rollerz feel pretty small-time compared to the Carnales. We really don't mess many of their operations, they never really manage to come out in force during the plot, and it doesn't take all that much to take them down. The game never says it but they feel like a couple of rich guys that gathered some local thugs and tuners to run their less-than-legal vehicle business, compared to the Carnales feeling much more like a well-established drug cartel, whose members have been part of it for most of their lives and are able to bring some serious force when they need to. It's pretty neat, honestly.

I wonder how the Vice Kings will compare.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The Rollerz didn't really seem that impressive to be honest. Like suburban kids trying hard to be criminals taken seriously. My mom thinks my tuning is cool!
Doesn't help that Donny was pretty much third in command LOL. How were they even a thing? The real gangs just couldn't be bothered to wipe them out or kept them around as a distraction for the police?

achtungnight posted:

Price is all ego, not much to back it up- or as we say in Texas all hat, no cattle.
That's a great saying. :allears:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

They're treated like a massive criminal gang, but if it weren't for the stealing cars and selling them thing, they don't really do any crime. It's basically a bunch of illegal street races who occasionally steal cars to fund their hobby. Except they're also involved in a vicious gang war over turf for... reasons?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FoolyCharged posted:

They're treated like a massive criminal gang, but if it weren't for the stealing cars and selling them thing, they don't really do any crime. It's basically a bunch of illegal street races who occasionally steal cars to fund their hobby. Except they're also involved in a vicious gang war over turf for... reasons?
I figure the low-level members (which is to say, everyone except for Sharp and Price and maybe Donnie) are just a bunch of idiots who like cars and guns and getting into fights. They like feeling like they're big bad gangsters, so they dress the part and claim "turf", but really they're no different than any other yob who likes driving dangerously and making a lot of noise.

Poil posted:

How were they even a thing? The real gangs just couldn't be bothered to wipe them out or kept them around as a distraction for the police?
I think mostly it's just that they're not in competition. Members of the other gangs might get into fights with them if they see them about, but there's no coordinated attempt to get rid of them because they're just stealing cars and scaring the occasional civilian. Why even bother?

Whereas Julius actually does want to make the effort to get rid of them because, from his perspective, they're as much a problem for everyday people just trying to live their lives as either of the real gangs are.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 12: Jeffreymobile (Vice Kings Activities)

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that Saints Row 1 might be a slightly buggy game. Someone should write a musical or something about it.

The episode is only available at 360p right now. While I'd normally wait for at least the 1080p version to process before publishing the video, I really need to get to bed and I wanted to get this update out before tomorrow morning. Shouldn't take too much longer for the 1080p version to be ready.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

:allears:

Good ol Jeffrey, never letting down the good folks of Stilwater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Disappointed no one went for a Depeche mode reference at the "Enjoy the silence" remark.

(Even if the Lacuna Coil cover is better.)