Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Johnny Walker posted:

Hm, I don't have as many good pictures of cicadas as I thought, but I did get this video:

https://i.imgur.com/yWDTm1R.mp4

Video embed isn't working on this for whatever reason. Well worth the time taken to copy/paste the link, though. What a beauty!

Edit: Oh, I changed your timg tags to url, and boom, it's working. Today I learned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Athanatos posted:

I had this visit me on my porch:

Which google says is a Variegated Fritillary Caterpillar.

They were a fantastic red color, the picture does not do them justice.

I am in no way scared of spiny, hairy-ish 'pillars. but they're kind of disturbing looking.

too close to the centi-milii-pede for me, maybe. Just not sure i'd let the little fella climb on me, like i would like a 'normal' caterpillar.

i hope that doesn't make me racist :magical:

And they're gorgeous butterflies .. just that stage, oof.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

There are several spiny, hairy-ish 'pillars in the US with medically significant stings that I am definitely scared of touching.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
In the fall we get about a billion wooly worms crossing the roads. Everyone has their own wives tale version of the colors predicting the harshness of winter. I just wish they'd use the crosswalk.

McGavin posted:

There are several spiny, hairy-ish 'pillars in the US with medically significant stings that I am definitely scared of touching.

"Medically Significant Sting" is a hell of a phrase.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Spotted this little guy on my way to work today:

I have no idea what this is.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Give a location if you want an ID.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Oh, right, should proably have included that.

Trondheim, Norway.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Probably a Painted Lady, Vanessa cardui, or a Red Admiral, Vanessa atalanta.

The caterpillars for both look similar and are quite variable. Both are found in Norway.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 29, 2021

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

A hoverfly (I think Syrphus ribesii) doing its famous wasp impersonation.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Hello from Springfield, VA!

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Spiny softshell turtle in amongst the many, many red eared sliders in a pond in Los Angeles. This was the best picture I could get. I’ve encountered similar turtles in small lakes in Michigan. They look like pancakes, their shells are floppy and leathery and they have pointy snorkel snouts. I love turtles.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Almost ran face first into a big ol' web stretched over my back door. Saw this fellow/lady reeling in a snack

It's hard to get a decent up close fancy shot but it's pretty clear (to me anyway) it's a healthy sized spotted orb weaver. It's like 50 cent piece big.

I'll see if it's still there in the morning and let it feast tonight. Maybe scoot it over to the corner near the door if it's still there.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

here's a fly from my garden

newts
Oct 10, 2012
My daughter is a cicada superfan. Every summer she’s out on patrol at night, helping larvae get to trees. And first thing in the morning looking for any cicada larvae that have emerged during the day. They’re vulnerable to wasps while their exoskeleton is hardening. She has a special wasp-proof cage for them to eclose in. They then get released in the evening when it’s safe. Yes, yes, I know we’re reducing natural selection on these guys, but whatever.

A little dude eclosing:

Cicadas waiting for release:

I’m happy to say that our house has the largest cicada emergence in the neighborhood :)

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Synnr posted:

Almost ran face first into a big ol' web stretched over my back door. Saw this fellow/lady reeling in a snack

It's hard to get a decent up close fancy shot but it's pretty clear (to me anyway) it's a healthy sized spotted orb weaver. It's like 50 cent piece big.

I'll see if it's still there in the morning and let it feast tonight. Maybe scoot it over to the corner near the door if it's still there.

I had a thing about spiders for the longest time. And still, if they startle me, that may be the end of poor friend's life.

I had one build a kinda thin web in my bathroom ceiling's corner, and I just let him chill.

But I have two .. evergreen bushes? on either side of my steps going to the sidewalk. I've now learned to wave my arm down in front of my face to avoid the webs. They still get me by putting it like a foot past where it should be, or at chest height. I get that it's a great place to capture flying insects. But. Have some respect!

I had one orb spider off the side that looked like it had a Predator skull on it's back. It was gone after a couple weeks.

I only have an iPhone 6+, so my pictures always kind of suck. it's cracked and slow as poo poo, but I'm poor. Maybe one day, I can contribute pics! :)

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Is it possible to acclimate wild lizards to human presence, enough to get them to approach? I found a truly gigantic Western Fence Lizard, far and away the largest I’ve ever seen, scurrying around my backyard the other day. I’d love to see it up close and get a picture for the thread, but of course it’s skittish as hell and won’t let me get near it.

My yard has a bunch of lizards now that the neighbors’ murderous cats are finally gone or getting too old to catch them, so it’d be cool to encourage the population and get some lizardfriends

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
There were dozens or hundreds of these tiny frogs at the dog park yesterday after a rain.

Dirty shoe for scale.

In central Newfoundland.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Your location makes it easy, because there aren't any frogs native to Newfoundland. Of the four introduced species, that's an American Toad, Anaxyrus americanus. They were introduced near Corner Brook in the 1960s and have since spread across the island.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

St_Ides posted:

There were dozens or hundreds of these tiny frogs at the dog park yesterday after a rain.

Dirty shoe for scale.

In central Newfoundland.

Holy poo poo, that is tiny. It just looks like a little bug. :kimchi:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah I'm home visiting the island this year and I'm finding a few too. Nothing beats the summer of 2006 though where my friend and I counted like seven hundred of them on the highway between Deer Lake and Sheppardville thereabouts.

McGavin posted:

Your location makes it easy, because there aren't any frogs native to Newfoundland. Of the four introduced species, that's an American Toad, Anaxyrus americanus. They were introduced near Corner Brook in the 1960s and have since spread across the island.

My conservation bio prof apparently knew the guy that did it. He didn't speak kindly of him in any case.

The story goes that he moved there from the mainland and missed the sounds of the singing amphibians at night, so he brought it with him!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 2, 2021

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

This small friend is pretending to be an ant, but she is in fact a spider, Myrmarachne formicaria!

I'm not sure whether it's noteworthy to find her in Ohio.

E: Apparently this is the least notable place to find her in the US.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ArcMage posted:

This small friend is pretending to be an ant, but she is in fact a spider, Myrmarachne formicaria!

I'm not sure whether it's noteworthy to find her in Ohio.

E: Apparently this is the least notable place to find her in the US.

She's awesome!

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

Saw this lizard friend when I was picking up a croissant last week:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Saw this cool baby panda today, I think it broke out of the zoo maybe? Careful panda that's not bamboo you're eating!!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

A basketball sized nest of buzzy jerks moved in. I'm not going within 20 feet.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Well the bad news is that my apartments might be infested with rats. The good news is that they are cute

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
There are lots of flowers around my building so there are lots of bees:

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Rexxed posted:

A basketball sized nest of buzzy jerks moved in. I'm not going within 20 feet.

Well, you know what to do. Fire. Lot's of it, drat the collateral damage

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:
milkweed tiger moth caterpillar, probably:

mystery moth that I was charmed by for some reason:

(northeast ozarks)

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

^^^ there is something very delicate about it and almost regal, like a wedding gown or something

Catastrophe posted:

...oh so that's where the cheesy powder comes from...

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Tjadeth posted:

mystery moth that I was charmed by for some reason:

(northeast ozarks)
I think it's some species of Euchlaena

e:

my cat is norris posted:

^^^ there is something very delicate about it and almost regal, like a wedding gown or something

Like a eu-(good) -chlaena(cloak or mantle)?

joat mon fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 4, 2021

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

joat mon posted:

you're a wizard

moth identification specifically has always been weirdly impenetrable to me

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Catastrophe posted:

:eyepop:

gorgeous picture

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

joat mon posted:

e:

Like a eu-(good) -chlaena(cloak or mantle)?

yo whaaaaaaaaat

i was just posting my gut reaction, that's so cool!

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Enfys posted:

:eyepop:

gorgeous picture

Thanks. I used to sit in my yard and just wait to find critters to take macro photos of. I'm just now trying to get back into it with those beeeeez.

Older ones (but still critters):

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Found these guys in my yard today:

Red firebug, Pyrrhocoris apterus, an introduced pest from Europe.

And this moth I couldn't identify. I'm in Toronto if someone wants to take a crack at identifying it.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm gonna guess Parectopa of some kind?

https://bugguide.net/node/view/166127

Leaf-miner moth -- I guess it comes in some color variance?

http://www.toronto-wildlife.com/Insects/Moths/moths_leaf-miner.html

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

my cat is norris posted:

I'm gonna guess Parectopa of some kind?

https://bugguide.net/node/view/166127

Leaf-miner moth -- I guess it comes in some color variance?

http://www.toronto-wildlife.com/Insects/Moths/moths_leaf-miner.html

Thanks! That's about where I got, before realizing there were roughly a billion almost identical Parectopa that looked kind of like this one, but not quite and gave up.

This morning I was doing some gardening and found a freshly eclosed ladybug on my sock, but I didn't realize what it was in time and kind of mushed it when I picked it up. Sorry little guy, I didn't realize how squishy you were going to be! Hopefully you can sort yourself out before you harden up. :(

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I tried to help a poor hornet back to life but she wasn't able to bounce back. I don't know what was wrong with her. It seems too early in the year for them to start dying from old age. Seeing her try to weakly grab on to a perch only to fail and fall off left me feeling all wistful, plaintive and contemplaty and such.

Human emotion is so weird.

All she wanted to do was help out her hive and enjoy a few sweet treats before her end and I hope she got to experience some of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I tried to help a poor hornet back to life but she wasn't able to bounce back. I don't know what was wrong with her. It seems too early in the year for them to start dying from old age. Seeing her try to weakly grab on to a perch only to fail and fall off left me feeling all wistful, plaintive and contemplaty and such.

Human emotion is so weird.

All she wanted to do was help out her hive and enjoy a few sweet treats before her end and I hope she got to experience some of it.

Was it hot out? They have a comparatively low heat tolerance.