Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Perfect. Great find, I didn't even know where to start searching. Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for the adults!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
There was a male ogre-face spider hanging out on the back screen door this morning.
Ogre Spider on back door 01 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Ogre Spider on back door 02 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Whoa. Have never seen or heard of those!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

They're wild. A unique hunting behavior and the best night vision of any animal because they regrow special cells in their eyes every night.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

extremely leggy boi!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

my cat is norris posted:

:same:

Also, these extremely leggy bois make it into the Good Spider Club, apparently having much more legs than body is a good way to avoid triggering the 'phobia.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

my cat is norris posted:

Zefrank’s video about ogre faces spiders:
(Linking in case of arachnophobia)

https://youtu.be/CNrF0JbDVc8?si=dfPfdMmEic5O-8Mz

Sorry if you have arachnophobia and are browsing on the iPhone app.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Another id request from south africa

Is this like... A funky horse fly? It's about 30mm long. Look at the size of that beak. Been having a blast on this trip

Lmao this is an actual tsetse fly haha good thing I smooshed him later

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 9, 2024

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

This is a mostly uninformed guess but the giant facial stiletto and longish legs make me think it may be some sort of robber fly? There's a lot of different species and while most of them have pretty thin bodies I know there are bumblebee mimics and other species with fatter abdomens like your little guy here.

Robber flies are cool as gently caress and imo the ultimate badasses of the insect world.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
That was my first thought based on the wing alignment and orientation along the body and also the schnozz? I don't know how to describe it though.

Laphriinae subfamily maybe

Ooh or a Stichopogon which is fun to say

Lol it's a tsetse fly. I was certain they had been eliminated from that area! This feels like something I should report to somebody...

Had a bunch of regular identifiable robber flies around this whole trip. And a nice mob of dragonflies following me around in the bush near a dry river delta that was absolutely stunning

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 9, 2024

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

3 inch long grasshopper

blister beetles that I got entirely too close with before realizing what they were

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Little guy hiding in my package bin:

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Another id request from south africa

Is this like... A funky horse fly? It's about 30mm long. Look at the size of that beak. Been having a blast on this trip

Lmao this is an actual tsetse fly haha good thing I smooshed him later

I looked up tsetse flies, and they're basically marsupials*. The female hatches one larva at a time, feeds it from something very similar to milk glands, and then gives live birth. That's kinda neat, even if they're blood sucking disease spreaders.

* in the same way that platypuses are birds, obviously.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:lol: I didn't see the edit until now :ms:

It also made me realize that I don't remember seeing a picture of a tsetse fly before. I'm reminded of them all the time because they come up in crossword puzzles a lot, but I always picture more of a fat, biting housefly.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Little guy hiding in my package bin:

:getin:

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Can someone identify these rodents?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSp-PKbJIiM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbflJaxBGcg

Title/descriptions call them "mice" but they're not mice.

Something in Meriones I would tend to think. I don't think they're Mongolian gerbils ("pet gerbils")... I was thinking they could be juveniles, but their tails seem way too long to be standard garden variety pet gerbils.

Bula Vinaka fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 18, 2024

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Jirds of some sort.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

McGavin posted:

Jirds of some sort.

legit the first time I've ever heard this term, learn somethin every day

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

McGavin posted:

Jirds of some sort.

But what kind?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I dunno. Aside from the bushy-tailed jird, which those are not, they all look pretty similar.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

McGavin posted:

They're wild. A unique hunting behavior and the best night vision of any animal because they regrow special cells in their eyes every night.

If the thread would forgive one not-my-picture, I feel their hunting method must be seen:

They cast nets!

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

If the thread would forgive one not-my-picture, I feel their hunting method must be seen:

They cast nets!

Not even sticky nets, according to the zefrank video. Electrostatic nets.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Gunshow Poophole posted:

learn somethin every day

Blue Footed Booby posted:

They cast nets!

nature is so fukkin cool and great

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Found on a houseplant in central Kentucky, any ideas? It's had mealybugs before, could this be a molt?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Oh hey, cool thread. Any ideas on this bird? Seen in September and October around Cincinnati. I'm thinking maybe a juvenile Cooper's Hawk, but I honestly have no idea. Album:

https://imgur.com/a/7kwFo2A

e: adding a second picture because yikes, those talons:

BAD AT STUFF fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 19, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BAD AT STUFF posted:

Oh hey, cool thread. Any ideas on this bird? Seen in September and October around Cincinnati. I'm thinking maybe a juvenile Cooper's Hawk, but I honestly have no idea. Album:

https://imgur.com/a/7kwFo2A

e: adding a second picture because yikes, those talons:

That's awesome, lots of cool pictures in there. Looks close enough to other Cooper's Hawk photos I looked up that I'd believe it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sharp-shinned hawk? Looks like a nice backdrop of marijuana crop (I know it ain't)

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's awesome, lots of cool pictures in there. Looks close enough to other Cooper's Hawk photos I looked up that I'd believe it.

Thanks! It was so close for that first picture, just a few yards away from the house. It's perched on the fence that keeps the deer out of the tomatoes (:argh:)

PainterofCrap posted:

Sharp-shinned hawk? Looks like a nice backdrop of marijuana crop (I know it ain't)

Yeah, maybe. A relative who birdwatches thought it was a Merlin, but I think they're pretty rare in the Midwest unless they're migrating. If I had gotten a picture of it flying that might have helped, but I set my phone down for a second right before it took off.

Also, you didn't see nothin.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I’m not getting an accipiter vibe, so I’d go red-shouldered. I think you can even see a hint of red on the wing.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I’m not getting an accipiter vibe, so I’d go red-shouldered. I think you can even see a hint of red on the wing.

I think that strong white mottling is characteristic for juvies too.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Bored posted:

Not even sticky nets, according to the zefrank video. Electrostatic nets.

More specifically, Van der Waals force nets.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Apologies to any thread arachnophobes... but I just discovered that facehuggers are real and they live in the grassy shrubs out the back of my workplace.

Here is video proof:
https://imgur.com/ybvuliT

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Dia de Pikachutos posted:

Apologies to any thread arachnophobes... but I just discovered that facehuggers are real and they live in the grassy shrubs out the back of my workplace.

Here is video proof:
https://imgur.com/ybvuliT

What the heck is that, besides cool as hell?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Is that a parasitized spider??

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

my cat is norris posted:

Is that a parasitized spider??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachnura Several species of orb weaver have freaky long abdomens.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

omg so gross

I like spiders but the long body is so so so weird.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Yeah I thought it was a spider backed into a flower or something until I saw it take a poop... and then I noticed it had a number of sisters in the same shrub. I've never noticed them before, but apparently they're common as muck!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachnura_higginsi

Their web is quite distinctive - it's like a typical orb web but is only filled in from about 2 o'clock - 10 o'clock. I didn't think to take a photo of that.

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 22, 2024

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dia de Pikachutos posted:

Yeah I thought it was a spider backed into a flower or something until I saw it take a poop... and then I noticed it had a number of sisters in the same shrub. I've never noticed them before, but apparently they're common as muck!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachnura_higginsi

Their web is quite distinctive - it's like a typical orb web but is only filled in from about 2 o'clock - 10 o'clock. I didn't think to take a photo of that.

Oh. Australia. So I don’t have to worry about running into that spider.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They have recently earned their pilot's license, and are coming for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat posts.txt
Oct 16, 2023

Brown anole in North GA misunderstands what bird house is for